Photo TR: Derek goes to Lagoon

and doesn't need to become Mormon to do it!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Re: Photo TR: Derek goes to Lagoon

Postby QueerRudie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:52 am

Most excellent Photo TR of Lagoon, a park that's yet to be visited since the arrival of all the new goodness for the park. And yes, Anton is wondering why His rides aren't being operated at their full capacity! (Not that I'm one of those weird, obsessive Schwarzkopf fans or anything...)

And pastrami on a burger????

R.D.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby rcdude » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:16 am

Great TR of an out of the way park. Ever since Wicked opened, I've wanted to check this place out (before then, I didn't even know it existed). Maybe I'll have to plan a late season ski trip to Utah (early-mid April) so I can visit the park, because other than that there isn't much chance I'd ever be out in Salt Lake City.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back!

Postby dandaman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:45 pm

Food was sometimes scarce in the old west. People hungry enough would eat at Arby's, which all towns had, while others would refuse and just starve to death.

I applaud you, kind hop-drinking sir.

(Relevant)

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:09 pm

cfc wrote:Any American park with two old dark rides and two Schwartzkopfs is worth noting.

100% agreed. I was very surprised to see how many really cool rides this park has, including a coaster with onboard surf rock, which is an automatic mega-win. Must get there someday. GREAT report!
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:14 pm

Awesome update! Seems like a nice park.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks for the report. I went to Lagoon in '93 and the park has sure built up the ride arsenal since then. It's looking great.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby DisWiz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Nice trip report, it's good to see someone who enjoyed Lagoon. Most people I talk to here in Utah do consider it a 'ghetto boring' park. I'm not really sure why as it really is a nice little park with quite a few decent rides. They seem to think that unless it has a TTD or an X2 it's not really a theme park.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:26 pm

Loved the Report! One of these days I need justify my getting to Salt Lake to check out the park. Thanks for sharing!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby a-mad » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:07 am

Great TR, Derek. We may have been there the same day! Were you there on Saturday the 27th?

Lagoon is my home park, and this TR really did a good job showing what a fantastic, unique park we have here. Yes, it doesn't have a major, large coaster (something that local coaster enthusiasts have been hoping for for quite a long time...) but the fact that it has a Schwarzkopf looper, a classic wooden coaster, and some smaller footprint newer coasters that are still loads of fun, and pack a punch - we really don't have a lot to complain about. Wicked is one of the best "smaller" coasters I've ever ridden.

Add to that a fantastic selection of flat rides, two very unique dark rides, Pioneer Village and Rattlesnake Rapids (a well-themed raft ride at the very back of the park with a "Big Thunder" type of theme), and you really have a nice little locally-run park. One thing the park does well, if you couldn't already tell from the pics, was the landscaping and theming. Even their recent additions such as Jumping Dragon, OdySea and Bombora are thoughtfully themed and well landscaped. Their use of space in the park is really quite creative.

One area that Derek didn't mention was the number of kiddie rides. They have a small land just off the Midway called Mother Goose Playland which has several kiddie rides (some of which have been in operation since I was little... and I'm 42). They've extended this land to the north of the park until it meets up with some of the newer rides such as Bombora, OdySea and The Bat. It really is a large, nice collection of rides - and they are well-maintained each year.

So... if you aren't already convinced you should make it to this park, hopefully you are now. For those of you who don't feel a trip is worth it, or too out of your way - there is a ton to do here outside of Lagoon. Our ski resorts, including Park City, Deer Valley and Snowbird are consistently near the top of the "best resorts" lists each year - beating out better-known resorts in Colorado and California. Park City's Alpine Coaster (which Robb and Elissa have experienced) is open year-round! They also have Alpine Slides and ziplines at most of the resorts as well. If you venture south, towards Las Vegas you can hit 2 or 3 of the most breathtaking National Parks in the world - including Bryce Canyon, Zion, or Arches (in Moab).

Derek - I'm glad you found Crown Burger... it really is incredible. There are other hamburger places around the SL valley that were founded by Greek immigrants whose ancestors are still running it today (Crown Burger, Astro Burger, Apollo Burger). There is never a lack for good food here.

Thanks again for the great TR, and hopefully we'll see more of you TPR'ers at the park in the future!

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby jbottgen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Well said a-mad, but you forgot something, in the summer you can also check out Shane's Cowabunga Bay, my favorite compact water park.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive