TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

Canobie Lake Park has sent us a press release regarding their special offerings for the Summer.

It’s summertime and the coasters are rolling at Canobie Lake Park in Salem, New Hampshire. The Park’s newest roller coaster, UNTAMED, is living up to its name and thrilling riders from all over New England, while the ever-popular Castaway Island water play complex provides over a hundred ways to get wet. And that’s just for starters.

Canobie’s “Summer of SuperStars” live tribute shows are appearing now and continue through Labor Day. The Park’s historic and recently renovated Dancehall Theater will host the return of two enormously popular live shows, a “Tribute to Michael” as well as “THE KING LIVES®” tribute. New for this season is the “Tribute to Janet” show featuring signature songs and dance moves on the Park’s Midway Stage, while country fans can enjoy a “Tribute to Tim” appearing on Canobie’s Village Stage.

Granite State Zoo’s “Wildlife Encounters” brings a menagerie of exotic and interesting animals to the Park in an interesting and educational show for the entire family. Complete show information and performance times can be found on the Park’s website at http://www.canobie.com.

To celebrate the Fourth of July weekend, Canobie Lake Park will present three consecutive nights of dramatic fireworks displays that will be choreographed to music over Canobie Lake. The fireworks begin at approximately 9:30 PM on July 2nd, 3rd and 4th, weather permitting. Fireworks displays are also scheduled for every Saturday night at the Park through September 3rd, weather permitting.

In addition, the crowd-pleasing Canobie Talent Search will be presented every Thursday night as well as weekly Friday Night Dance Parties.

Canobie Lake Park is a quick trip from most points in New England and one low admission price includes all rides, attractions and live shows all day, and there are reduced evening rates. For an even better value, Canobie Lake Park discount admission coupons can be found at participating McDonald’s® Restaurants, Market Basket® Supermarkets, and Tedeschi® Food Shops all over New England while supplies last. For more information and Park hours, visit Canobie’s web site at canobie.com.

• 1 month later...

Canobie Lake Park has sent us a press release regarding their upcoming events for the Fall.

If you’re not ready to let summer go just yet, Canobie Lake Park has some good news for you. The Park remains open every day and evening through Labor Day with their full complement of rides, games, attractions and live entertainment. It’s your last chance to catch Canobie’s live tribute shows, including the extremely popular Tribute to Michael, since the curtain comes down for the season on September 5th.

The fun doesn’t stop at Labor Day, though. Canobie is open weekends during September and October with the Park’s seven-weekend Oktoberfest celebration kicking off on September 17th. The festivities include a beer garden, traditional German fare, music and live entertainment. Canobie’s newest live show, a Tribute to Madonna, also begins on September 17th and runs through October 30th.

Then SCREEEMFEST adds some fear to all the fun, haunting Canobie Lake Park every weekend from September 30th through the end of October. And there’s plenty to “screeem” about. Just when you catch your breath from the excitement of Canobie’s newest roller coaster, UNTAMED, which will be open throughout both events along with many other rides, there are four terrifying haunts to keep you screaming.

There will also be Halloween games, zombies and monsters lurking about, “haunted” fireworks displays every Saturday night in October, and even more live entertainment. The one and only MINI KISS, a nationally known act, will be performing a tribute to the legendary rock band all during Screeemfest.

Canobie Lake Park is presenting both major events for one, low admission price that includes all haunts, live entertainment, operating rides, fireworks and more. For Park hours, more information about events and directions, visit canobie.com.

• 1 month later...

Canobie Lake Park has sent us a press release regarding their SCREEMFEST event held this October.

Canobie Lake Park SCREEEMFEST will be haunting Salem, New Hampshire, every Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening through October 30th. The Park’s seven-week Oktoberfest celebration with traditional German food, music and seasonal beers also continues along with SCREEEMFEST, providing visitors to the Park with quite a variety of entertainment – and food – options.

According to Chris Nicoli, Canobie’s Marketing and Entertainment Manager, the SCREEEMFEST scare factor has been ramped up this year. There are two new haunts, the Cannibal Lake Haunt Zone and the Demons of Darkness haunted house, along with the Dead Shed, The Village and Merriment, Incorporated. "We offer quite a unique Halloween experience to our guests. Where else can you scream in haunted houses then scream even harder on rides like our new roller coaster, Untamed?" said Nicoli.

Canobie has added a "haunted" fireworks display each Saturday night, weather permitting, named "Terrify the Sky." Live entertainment this year includes the national act MINI KISS, the Park's new Tribute to Madonna show, Alan Kaye as Ozzy at the end of October, as well as walk-around monsters and characters, a nightly monster parade and Oktoberfest "oompah" bands. For the younger set, Canobie has transformed its Kiddieland area into the Pumpkin Palace with pumpkins, cornstalks and family-friendly fall decorations, along with many kiddie rides.

One low admission price includes all haunts, rides, live entertainment, fireworks and entrance to Oktoberfest. Discount coupons to Canobie Lake Park SCREEEMFEST and Oktoberfest are available at participating Tedeschi Food Shops®, Market Basket® Supermarkets and McDonald’s® Restaurants throughout New England while supplies last. For more information on coupon locations, group pricing, hours and directions, visit canobie.com.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Canobie Lake Park has sent us a press release regarding their 110th season starting this weekend.

Canobie Lake Park’s gates swing wide open for the 110th season of family fun on Saturday, April 28th, weather permitting.

One-Day Sale

The Park’s Annual One-Day Sale will also be held on Opening Day when 2012 admission passes will be sold for the reduced price of just $25 each. This represents a savings of $8 off the regular season general admission price. The rain date for the sale will be Sunday, April 29th. One-day sale purchases can only be made at the Park, and there is no limit on how many passes can be purchased at the sale price. Each pass is valid on any one day during Canobie’s 2012 season.

UNTAMED Fun

Canobie Lake Park’s newest roller coaster, UNTAMED, opened to the delight of thrill seekers last June and has proven to be one of the most popular and successful additions in the Park’s history. The coaster features an initial, vertical climb of almost 72 feet into the air culminating in a breathtaking drop at a 97-degree angle. Riders are then taken through a series of scream-inducing loops, twists and barrel rolls. "Untamed has exceeded our wildest expectations," said Chris Nicoli, Canobie’s Marketing and Entertainment Manager. "The reaction among guests has been overwhelmingly positive."

An Affordable Family Day

Canobie Lake Park remains one of the area’s best values in family entertainment. The Park is a short gas-friendly trip from most points in New England, and parking is always free. A single, low admission price includes over 85 thrill rides, family and kid-friendly rides, attractions and scheduled shows as well as Castaway Island, Canobie’s water play park that opens Memorial Day Weekend. Visit the Park’s website for hours and full information about attractions and scheduled events.

Corporate and Group Discounts

For corporate, small company and group summer outings, Canobie Lake Park offers a variety of discounted programs designed to provide employees or group members with a memorable summer experience. There are catered and non-catered offerings, a Consignment Tickets program, as well as an e-Ticketing store option which provides a convenient way to offer Canobie Lake Park discounts to employees. Complete details are available on the Corporate/Group Outings section on canobie.com.

Seasonal Specials

Canobie Lake Park also features special discount event days, including Mother’s Day and Fathers Day specials when Moms or Dads receive free admission and a free lunch on their day. Armed Services Appreciation Days will take place over Memorial Day Weekend when armed services members can purchase Park admission for just $10. Canobie also has special days for Scouts, sports and other teams, and seniors. Details about these specials, as well as upcoming availability of discount coupons at partner locations, are available on the Park’s specials web page at canobie.com.

The Canobie Classroom: Educational Programs

With a variety of educational programs and real-world physics demonstrations, Canobie becomes an interactive learning environment that provides teachers with some rather unique tools to reinforce a variety of math and science principles. With hands-on presentations like "Real Science," Canobie Lake Park provides student groups from all over New England with outings that are both fun and educational.

LIVE Entertainment: A Summer of SuperStars

Beginning June 23rd and running through Labor Day, Canobie’s Summer of SuperStars live tribute shows will rock the Park’s historic Dancehall Theater and Midway Stage. This summer will feature the return of the enormously popular tribute to Michael. Three new shows will also debut: a tribute to Gaga, a tribute to Bieber, and Forever Kings, a show combining Canobie’s legendary tribute to Michael and THE KING LIVES®. The Park’s Wildlife Encounters family show, where the zoo comes to you, opens May 18th. Visit canobie.com for details on the complete 2012 live entertainment line-up and schedule.

Fireworks and More Fun

On July 4th and 5th, Canobie will launch its spectacular fireworks displays into the sky above Canobie Lake on both evenings, weather permitting. The Park also has fireworks every Saturday night thereafter through September 1st, weather permitting. There’s more fun to be had with the Canobie Talent Search, roving Fun Squad, Dance Parties and many other surprises. For more information on attractions, live shows, special events, hours, prices and available discounts, visit canobie.com.

Untamed-loop1_4225.thumb.jpg.eed9176a2928aa86a6c758ba5e08f89b.jpg

Untamed_4316.thumb.jpg.1d2cbeb3b4e7fc8be401266bf93c1bc9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've noticed that just like last year, the Cannonball is only running one train--this is just from what I've seen, maybe others have been on days where both are running.

Is there a reason that one train operation for this coaster has become the norm? I mean, the ride itself isn't very long, so even if the queue is full, it's not *that* bad, but still, I don't get why they haven't been using the 2 cars. It's almost always one of the longest lines from opening til closing, so it would seem to make sense to use both. This may sound like a dumb question, but could it be that using one train causes less stress to the ride since it's so old?

^ Oh right! I forgot about that... did a quick search, saw this on Wikipedia (of course, this is probably not the end-all be-all of information, but probably fairly accurate):

The Yankee Cannonball has two trains, but only one runs at a time. There are 6 riders per car, for a total of 18 riders per train. The trains were built by Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters. Restraints consist of headrests and lap bars, and seat belts were added for the 2003 season, as a response to a 2001 accident, in which the two trains collided at the foot of the lift hill due to operator failure in engaging the brakes

There was a very low speed collision in 2001. No injury and no damage. but because it happened shortly after the train on superman at SFNE hit sending a dozen to the hospital it got more publicity then it would have if the topic wasn't in the news at the time.

The park did redo the brakes in 2002 while GCI re-tracked the rest of the coaster M&V redid the station and added new skids/a computerized system. but it was decided after inspection that on a wet day a hit is still probable. Not wanting to take the risk they opted to run on train and they swap then out weekly.

There are plans to redo the coaster to operate 2 trains. If they go with traditional mags thy would have to rebuild the station. turns and re-track the entire coaster added more height to the rails. this would make the upgrade extremely expensive.

There is a new system that uses Skid style mags. this would be the parks best bet. It would allow for the upgrade with no re-tracking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was. But it wasn't major

Next year they will be installing a new brake system. This will allow them to run two trains again.

Saturday and sunday are very busy. I recomend going for the 5 oclock special and get a lower price on your ticket. That is when all the camps leave and you get the park all to yourself until 11.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Canobie for the 2nd time this summer over the weekend...

Had a great time as usual--park was gorgeous as always, staff and ride-ops were friendly and efficient, everything was up and running, wait times were acceptable... Canobie is awesome in that you can pretty much bet you're going to have a good experience there.

I rode in the very back of the Cannonball for the first time in a while (usually sit towards in the front)... it reminded me of why it's still one of my favorite wooden coasters--I don't think I was even in my seat for 95% of the time. I was laughing so hard the whole time... that thing is like an ejector air dream machine.

They really need to scrap the Corkscrew. Trust me, I love the old Arrows, but this thing is just done, period. I don't think it's going anywhere soon though because it looks like they were in the process of painting it.

For anyone else that's gone this year, did you notice Untamed got noticeably rougher? Last year when it was brand new it was a little rough, but not horrible... When I rode it the first time this summer it was not pleasant at all... so I gave it another chance over the weekend and rode it twice within a few hours. The first time wasn't so bad, but the second time made me question whether or not I'd care to ever ride it again. The first half of the ride is great, but the transitions in the 2nd half are brutal. I don't particularly mind a little head-bashing (within reason) since I know how to brace myself, but still... it kind of ruins the ride as a whole. My bf got a pretty bad headache after ride #2 and it ruined the rest of his night.

Overall though, I love Canobie, and it will probably always be one of my favorite parks.

^I was surprised I had never heard too much about the back seat of Cannonball after I rode it there last year. There really is a lot more airtime than the front. I know that makes sense for a wooden coaster, but for one thing, it was really pronounced on Cannonball, and for another, often out-and-backs are just as good or better in the front.

They really need to scrap the Corkscrew. Trust me, I love the old Arrows, but this thing is just done, period. I don't think it's going anywhere soon though because it looks like they were in the process of painting it.

I'm kinda surprised to hear this. Was it really that bad? I know it used to be years back, but last time I was on it...last year or the year before, I forget...it was surprisingly smooth, one of the best rides I've ever had on an old Arrow Corkscrew.

^ I usually ride it every year, and sure it can be hit or miss, but it's almost always miss. It was really bad this weekend... just shaking all over the place. I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad, but it was.

It's not that the park doesn't take care of it, because they do, which is why it still runs fairly well... but, the thing is just old and wearing out. Also, the last few times I've been to the park there has been little-to-no wait for it, which says something.

I think it has a few more years left... hopefully Canobie has something brewing for when this thing finally bites the dust. My bf and I were in line for it talking about how it's still such a good-looking coaster (the Arrow track), and how classic it is--it will be a bummer to see it go when it finally does, but I'd rather have something you can re-ride in its place.

Canobie has decided to keep the corkscrew for a few more years. It isn't because the don't take care of it(which they do) it's just that it is an arrow corkscrew.

The cannonball has been know for amazig air time when the humidity is low. It is one of my favorite coasters that iv'e ever ridden.

Untamed and even the corkscrew have gotten much smoother this year. Maybe you just got a bad ride on untamed because all 40 rides i had on it this year were amazingly smooth.

This october the park will be adding a new Equinox (Tango) thrill flat ride!

It is unknown where it will be located but the construction will start this september!