TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I went to the park today and while we were waiting to ride Raptor, it started to rain so they stopped the ride. We were next in line to ride so we decided to just wait it out. I have to say, the Raptor 'team' was quite nice and polite while we waited. They've always been this way actually. They interacted with us, made jokes, told stories, and so on. So not all of the Cedar Point staff is, according to some TPR members, 'unhappy'.

They just announced it on the CP Facebook page.

ANNOUNCING NEW in 2012: Cedar Point's Dinosaurs Alive! Millennium Island will be transformed into the prehistoric Adventure Island filled with animatronic dinosaurs. Don't miss out on this great adventure - more details coming soon!

Dozens of Life-Size Dinos To Inhabit Cedar Point in 2012!

Dinosaurs Alive! on Adventure Island Opens Next Summer

SANDUSKY, Ohio – Cedar Point has some pretty big plans for next summer.

The Sandusky, Ohio, amusement park/resort earlier today announced plans to introduce Dinosaurs Alive! on Adventure Island, a prehistoric themed attraction, for next summer. The new attraction will be located on four acres on the wooded island that is located in the lagoons toward the back of the park.

In addition to Dinosaurs Alive!, Cedar Point will also add a mat-racer slide complex to the Soak City waterpark located adjacent to the park.

Dinosaurs Alive! will cost approximately $1 million to build.

The journey into Dinosaurs Alive! will be multi-sensory and interactive. Guests will be able to see approximately 50 life-size animatronic dinosaurs that will roar and move. Each will be handcrafted and covered with skin-like materials that will replicate almost every feature. Four of the dinosaurs will have interactive consoles that will allow guests to guide their movement to create an up-close look at how these dinosaurs moved their arms, tail, eyes and mouth.

“We are extremely excited about introducing Dinosaurs Alive! to our guests next summer,” said John Hildebrandt, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “Our guests will have the opportunity to visit the Jurassic Age up close and see some of the amazing creatures that called it home. Dinosaurs Alive! will be educational but fun, too.”

Overall, Dinosaurs Alive! will feature approximately three dozen types of dinosaurs. The dinosaurs will range in size and height. The largest will be the Ruyangosaurus that will stand nearly 40 feet tall and 72 feet long. The smallest will be an Angustinaripterus that will only be two feet tall and eight feet long.

Other dinosaurs in Dinosaurs Alive! will include the vicious Tyrannosaurus Rex, Irratator, Baryonyx and Spinosaurus, the largest of all known carnivorous dinosaurs. A plated Stegosaurus and three-horned Triceratops will also inhabit the island. The half-mile-long path will feature more than a dozen themed exhibits and displays and will veer underneath several of the larger dinosaurs providing a very intimate encounter with the prehistoric beasts.

Guests will enter Dinosaurs Alive! by crossing a bridge near Camp Snoopy. In addition to the dinosaurs, explorers will also encounter an excavation site and paleontological dig. There will also be informational signs for each exhibit and guides and fossil displays that will make Dinosaurs Alive! an entertaining three-dimensional educational tool for school groups as the discovery and identification of new species of dinosaurs increases annually. At the conclusion of the journey, there will be a prehistoric-themed gift shop.

Admission to Dinosaurs Alive! will be $5 per person. Special rates for groups and schools will also be available.

With the addition of Dinosaurs Alive!, the Paddlewheel Excursions boat cruise will be retired from the park. The pioneer-themed boat ride will be in daily operation through Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 5.

Cedar Point’s newest attraction will be created and produced by Dinosaurs Unearthed, an innovative traveling exhibition company that creates dynamic, multi-sensory experiences about the world of dinosaurs. Since 2005, the Richmond, British Columbia, Canada,-based company has provided multi-faceted exhibitions to museums, science centers and zoos throughout the world.

Next to Cedar Point, the Soak City waterpark will also have a new look for 2012. Next summer it will add a new mat-racer complex that will offer racers a speedy ride through a series of dips and plateaus. Additional information will be available later this year.

cpdinos.jpg.af1297e9ec17a35cdb65a7b9c4fc6865.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

In addition to Dinosaurs Alive!, Cedar Point will also add a mat-racer slide complex to the Soak City waterpark located adjacent to the park

I'm a little too happy that that rumor turned out to be true. Might have to do with how much I love waterparks, but Soak City looked pretty lame sitting next to CP. I do hope this will be a success and they will continue to expand it.

I'm 3 for 3 now with DA at CP, the fast pass at KI, and the Leviathan ride name at CW. Anyone still wanna doubt???

Yes, you have a good inside source and no one should doubt you anymore.

Now, could you take the bragging down a notch?

As much as I would have loved to see a new ride or even Roller Coaster. I have to say Dinosaurs Alive and a New Mat Slide for Soak City isn't incredibly bad. It's definitely helping making Cedar Point a little more family friendly than just a place for Thrill Seekers to go get their adrenaline high.

If anything Cedar Point has become much more well rounded since Maverick. Cedar Point added starlight experience, planet snoopy, windseeker and shoot the rapids. For all of us thrill seekers it's not a fun addition but in reality Cedar Point is becoming a much more balanced park then just the typical thrill park that only emphasizes that and leaves the family experience behind. Soak City needs the slide complex and I hate the idea of Dinosaurs, it will make little 5 year old boys giddy when they get to the park,

If anything Cedar Point has become much more well rounded since Maverick. Cedar Point added starlight experience, planet snoopy, windseeker and shoot the rapids. For all of us thrill seekers it's not a fun addition but in reality Cedar Point is becoming a much more balanced park then just the typical thrill park that only emphasizes that and leaves the family experience behind. Soak City needs the slide complex and I hate the idea of Dinosaurs, it will make little 5 year old boys giddy when they get to the park,

Okay, I should've said any new coasters. Those other "things" don't appeal to me. That also includes the "new thing" this year -- Braking Wind. I'm just a thrill seeker.

So they are taking out one of the few rides the whole family can ride together(and a park staple), to put in an animatronic dinosaur display that they have at our local zoo? And they are going to charge $5 xtra per person to see it?

Does that about sum it up?

I typically don't complain much, but I have to say that I am disappointed in this move.

I'm 3 for 3 now with DA at CP, the fast pass at KI, and the Leviathan ride name at CW. Anyone still wanna doubt???

Yes, you have a good inside source and no one should doubt you anymore.

Now, could you take the bragging down a notch?

wow...are you a mind reader of some sort?

Well at least Dollywood, and Busch Gardens are building new roller coasters next year and both are a day drive from me. Stupid Dinosaurs Alive crap sorry if I sound like a complainer but DA is the least exciting attraction I've ever seen any park build. I'd be more excited for a kiddie coaster.

So they are taking out one of the few rides the whole family can ride together(and a park staple), to put in an animatronic dinosaur display that they have at our local zoo? And they are going to charge $5 xtra per person to see it?

Does that about sum it up?

I typically don't complain much, but I have to say that I am disappointed in this move.

AMEN...