Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

Page 79: Pirate ship andwater slide are the 2019 additions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: The Alabama Adventure Discussion Thread

Postby triggernel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:16 pm

Pssh, did you see the YouTube comments to the video? Seems like the KKK was busy spamming the comments there.
Snoochie Boochie

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby twilight79 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:02 am

I Wish Alabama Adventure could some how get those videos off of you tube. The park really is not like that on a daily basis. I am a season pass holder and have been going since the park opened. The events that happened were because of the $10 promotion unsupervised kids were let loose and acted crazy, since then the park has increased security and discontinued the promotion.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 am

The same could be said for my visit to Waldameer on Memorial Day...I have never in all of my visits seen such unruly guests, but I know the park is not like that on normal days.

Absolutely not the parks fault for people acting like idiots!

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:37 pm

AFE has announced they are looking to sell the park.

The Oklahoma-based owner of Alabama Adventure is considering selling the Bessemer amusement park, citing poor attendance this summer.
Jim Kuno, marketing director at the Bessemer park, said in an interview today that Adrenaline Family Entertainment is exploring "potential opportunities that could include a sale, but nothing has been decided."
Despite the addition of a water ride called BuzzSaw Falls that has been well received, Kuno said Alabama Adventure's amusement park and waterpark suffered lower than expected attendance this summer. He blamed a combination of 100-degree heat index weather over two weeks in early June, plus a continuation of a sluggish economy and fallout from the April 27 tornadoes.
"We lost a large part of our customer base when the tornadoes hit, so sure we were affected," Kuno said.
He wouldn't divulge attendance figures. Kuno said he has no way of knowing whether media coverage of a fight between teenagers at Alabama Adventure in early June hurt attendance. Alabama Adventure discontinued a $10 promotion after the melee, which park attendees blamed on unsupervised teenagers.
Alabama Adventure has had a checkered history since then-Fairfield Mayor Larry Langford convinced area municipalities in 1997 to help finance construction of Alabama's largest amusement park. It went bankrupt in 2002, then was acquired by Southland Entertainment which invested millions of dollars in improvements.
In 2008, Adrenaline acquired the park from Southland. Kuno said Alabama Adventure officials are already making preparations for the 2012 season.
"We are looking at ways to cut costs and improve attendance," he said.

The article can be found here.

Although the article does not mention it, AFE is also trying to sell Clementon Park.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:39 pm

I just hope a company will purchase the park and continue trying to improve its image and quality. AFE got it started in the right direction, it just has to stay that way because the park needs plenty of TLC.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:46 pm

IMO, if the park is to survive they need an owner in it for the long haul. The two owners after the park was taken private both felt like their main intention was to own it a few year and try to "flip it" for a higher selling price. If the next owner isn't willing to put some money into it to truly improve its image I don't know how much longer it will last. Granted, AFE has put money into it, the parks image is always going to be an uphill battle because of its location. Comments like those in the article page show what many of the over the mountain types in Birmingham think: its dirty, too expensive, and over run with thugs. I actually think that's pretty far from the truth, but I guess that's the bias in me coming out.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:51 pm

^It's definitely not as bad as a lot of people think it is, but the image was tarnished so badly in the past, it's extremely difficult to change everyone's minds. I can be honest and say that the one year I was there, it did have some of the clientele issues that people associate with the park, but nowhere near as bad as anyone makes it out to be. I would say SFOG's clientele were FAR worse the times I went there.

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:21 am

Unfortunately we didn't get down there this year. It's been a crazy summer. I really like this park and wish it the best. My kids are hoping we can get there again next year. =)

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby twilight79 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:21 am

The article I read says that they would know if the park will sell in the next three months or so. I hope if the sell happens they find an owner interested in expanding the dry section of the park, it needs more exciting thrill rides to compete with six flags that's only two hours away and that people have been going to for years. I hope that they don't decide to close and sell the rides, If they open next year they mentioned they are looking for ways to make the park more profitable because it is much larger than what they attract in business meaning they will probably only open the water park, maybe that want be the case. The Park could truly be excellent with the wright owners.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:55 am

Wow, that's kind of a shock. The park has a lot of potential so I'd love to see it be given a real chance.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!