TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

I think that the whole system should be rebuilt from scratch,my idea Have a couple GIANT Parking garages in a central location, then have a HUGE Transportation center with monorail service to each park (and buses and ferrys and trams...)

Or they could build giant nets around each park, pass out fairy wings to everyone who enters Central Florida, let 'em park where they want, and then magically fly in to the front gates on their own free will.

I think that the whole system should be rebuilt from scratch,my idea Have a couple GIANT Parking garages in a central location, then have a HUGE Transportation center with monorail service to each park (and buses and ferrys and trams...)

Or they could build giant nets around each park, pass out fairy wings to everyone who enters Central Florida, let 'em park where they want, and then magically fly in to the front gates on their own free will.

Are those fairy wings for sale at local Walmarts?

Are those fairy wings for sale at local Walmarts?

They're not the fairy wings, but look-a-likes so your mileage may vary...

Disney World to add new monorail train

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel

3:42 PM EDT, August 12, 2011

Walt Disney World will add a new monorail train this fall, restoring its fleet to the full complement of 12 trains for the first time since a two-train collision killed a monorail driver more than two years ago.

Disney said the new train will begin testing during the next few weeks, though it will initially lack the colored stripe that is used to identify each of the resort's trains. It will eventually be painted with a peach-colored stripe.

Disney hasn't had 12 monorail trains in service since July 5, 2009, when two of its trains collided in a 2 a.m. crash that killed 21-year-old Austin Wuennenberg, a monorail driver and part-time Disney employee from Kissimmee.

Disney said the new train is made with a combination of new parts and components recycled from the two trains that collided. Another of the resort's trains is made entirely of vehicles from the trains involved in the accident.

The fallout from the 2009 tragedy still hasn't completely settled. The National Transportation Safety Board, one of two federal agencies to investigate the accident, has yet to issue its findings. The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration already fined Disney $35,200 for safety lapses. Wuennenberg's family also sued, and Disney settled earlier this year.

Disney's monorail system could use the added help. This summer, Disney announced it would cut its monorail operating hours, no longer running the trains during extended hours at night when hotel guests are allowed to stay extra late in its theme parks. Disney said the reduced schedule was needed to allow maintenance crews more time to work on the trains and the rail system, though some outside the company think operational cost savings were a factor.

While it isn't "NEW" (I think of it like Six Flags moving a coaster and calling it "NEW") Disney took a little while on this, considering the accident happened 3 years ago. (Even with not having the whole legal thing settled) However I think its clear that Disney World may not be ready for newer monorail trains yet . Especially if they spent money on reconstructing the monorails.

Bittersweet.

On one hand, this brings the fleet back to twelve, and should improve capacity issues.

On the other hand, using those spare parts from the pink/purple accident means - less spare parts.

Hi, okay...just to fulfill my odd fascination with logistical items I have a few somewhat related questions about the Main Street Electrical Parade at WDW's Magic Kingdom (although the same questions could apply to Spectro-Magic. We are assuming that the parade is stepping off from Main Street and heading towards Frontierland for these questions:

1. How long does it take for any particular float (let's just say the Circus Train from the beginning) from the second they enter the parade route until they leave the parade route? In other words, how long is each float in the park for?

2. When the back of the eagle from the last float enters the parade route, where along the route is the first float (Tinker Bell?)?

3. How long is the entire parade in the park?

4. How long is any part of the parade in the park? In other words, how much time passes between the first float entering the parade route and the last float leaving the parade route?

I know these are odd questions, but I am often more interested in these behind-the-scenes facts than I am with the attractions themselves.

Technically, your questions don't have anything to do with "behind the scenes" stuff because any person could just walk the whole parade route on the sidewalk and time it with a mobile phone.

There isn't really a "set" time that the parade is en route for. Sometimes, for impending rain or if crowds or high, they'll book it from start to finish. Sometimes, there's a problem and the floats have to stop briefly.

I would wager on average the parade lasts about a half hour from the start of the music track to the end of it. Tinkerbell's balloon is usually crossing the bridge into Liberty Square when the gate closes behind the To Honor America float.

If it's any consolation, usually The Magic The Memories and You has started playing in the castle forecourt before the parade music stops near Splash Mountain.

LOVE IT! Those cars looks awesome... totally fit into the theme and are themed VERY well! Also this looks kinda fun... a bit gimmicky, but pretty fun looking overall! Very impressed actually... especially considering my expectations were relatively low for this for some reason.

Awesome. The vehicles remind me, vaguely, of the Katoomba Orphan Rocker (Never opened, presumed defunct by now) and it's high- pivot suspension cars. I'm glad to see Disney is investing in perfecting this technology- as I think it will be something smaller/mid-sized parks would be interested in for a thrilling coaster that can do so much more in the future.

Awesome. The vehicles remind me, vaguely, of the Katoomba Orphan Rocker (Never opened, presumed defunct by now) and it's high- pivot suspension cars. I'm glad to see Disney is investing in perfecting this technology- as I think it will be something smaller/mid-sized parks would be interested in for a thrilling coaster that can do so much more in the future.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully this doesnt have the same problems "the bat" did with unbanked track.

Hi everyone! I can't find any "Hollywood Studios Discussion thread"s, so I came here.

Two questions about tower of terror;

Does it still run random drop sequences?

Is it true that the fifth dimension room has been diminished to a dark hallway?

Two questions about tower of terror;

Does it still run random drop sequences?

Is it true that the fifth dimension room has been diminished to a dark hallway?

Yes it still runs the random drop sequences.

The fifth dimension room diminished to a dark hallway last summer during the 'summer nightastic' promotion (they put curtains over the scenery and added a DCA-esque picture of the people in the elevator get shocked and disappear effect at the end of the hallway), after the promotion ended last August the room returned to it's normal self.

• 3 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/sorcerers-of-the-magic-kingdom-coming-to-walt-disney-world/

Today, we’re thrilled to share plans for a new role-playing adventure coming to Walt Disney World called Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. This is going to be fun – and it’s all happening inside the park. Merlin the magician will recruit guests to become apprentice sorcerers and then help them with maps and clues that show where and how to defeat an army of Disney villains.

Looks interesting, right? Work on this new adventure is already underway. You may notice a few giant crates and even some new spaces showing up throughout Adventureland. They’ll provide early clues to the challenge you’ll face while trying to save the Magic Kingdom.

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is scheduled to debut in early 2012. And we’ll be sharing more details in the future so keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for updates.

sor594243LARGE.jpg.823b91975852e08f388207ee5d61b42a.jpg

rea594234LARGE.jpg.43b2bf30480895eae49f4bb78a2c5c7b.jpg

Snow White Mine train- Looks very fun! It seems like there are going to be a lot of WOAH! moments during the ride. Im interested in seeing a lot more! Cannot wait to try it out!

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom- This looks like a great fit at the Magic Kingdom! It seems lie its going to use the Kim Possible technology! Which in my experience, was very fun!