TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It's going to be really sad if it goes. I personally think that it's the second most intense ride in the park, right behind X2, and I remember at WCB they were talking about how well SFMM's maintenance crew has done with it, and that they are proud to still have it. I really hope this rumor is false, but I guess we will find out soon.

I really wish they could just take the one from SFOG that was sent to Mirabilandia and has been sitting there for quite a while. Here's more info about it from screamscape: http://www.screamscape.com/html/mirabilandia.htm

So SFMM makes such a big deal about having the most coasters anywhere, and then they go right back into a tie for first just a few months later? Just like when they still counted Flashback as one of their coasters even though it was SBNO for years.

Six Flags is so bad you can't help but love it. The William Hung of theme park chains.

So did everyone see this?

Deja Vu looks like it's LEAVING! And heading for Six Flags New England

AGAWAM – Six Flags New England is working to replace one of its original rides with a new attraction, a roller coaster to be called the "Giant Inverted Boomerang."

“We are extremely excited about what we are going to do,” Jennifer Mance, director of sales and marketing for the local attraction, said Monday.

As for the cost of the new project, Mance said more information, though not necessarily the cost, will be released on Sept. 1.

Site plans for the ride, which will replace the water attraction Ship Wreck Falls, will be taken up by the Planning Board when it meets Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at the Agawam Public Library. Six Flags must get the Planning Board to approve its site plans for the project to move forward. The board is expected to put the plans to a vote Thursday, according to Planning and Community Development Director Deborah S. Dachos.

The new ride will be about 267.6 feet at its highest and will feature a steel roller coaster running on tracks in the shape of an “X,” according to information on file in the Planning Department.

Plans call for dismantling the water attraction Ship Wreck Falls and installing the new ride over its footprint. A new outdoor eating area is also planned for the neighborhood of the existing food court, according to the site plan review application filed with the city.

Ship Wreck Falls was one of the original rides at the amusement park.

“However, the ride has served well and is in need of replacement,” amusement park representatives wrote in the site plan review application. The application states that none of the work is near a resource area for a wetland. If it were, that would mean the project would probably need approval from the Conservation Commission.

Mayor Richard A. Cohen Monday greeted the advent of a new ride at the park with enthusiasm.

“New rides at the park attract people to that venue,” Cohen said. “I’m glad Six Flags is working with the town to create a new attraction for the park as they are a regional economic boost to the economy in the Pioneer Valley.”

A regional attraction at 1623 Main St., Six Flags currently offers amusement park-goers 10 rides. The tenth ride, Gotham City Gauntlet Escape from Arkham Asylum, was opened to the public in April.

Six Flags Entertainment Corp. is the world’s largest regional theme park company. It has 19 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. Six Flags’ flagship park, Six Flags Over Texas, just marked its 50th anniversary.

I really hope it's not actually called the "Giant Inverted Boomerang." That would be an all time low for Six Flags.

Edited by robbalvey

I still don't understand why Magic Mountain would go out of their way to add "3" new coasters and take back the coaster crown, just to let one of their coasters leave the same year.

I'm hoping Magic Mountain gets something big next year to fill the empty spot. As Elissa said, A Dive Machine would be perfect!

I think this is an all time fail for SFI. SFMM had the coaster crown with 18 coaster. Now they are going down to 17. Six Flags New England just so happens to be my home park. They are taking out Shipwreck Falls and putting it in that spot, which just so happens to be next to Flashback, a standard Vekoma Boomerang. I've heard they are doing things to the ride to improve it's reliability and lower it's maintainance cost. I also hope that they remove Flashback sometime soon after this.

I still don't understand why Magic Mountain would go out of their way to add "3" new coasters and take back the coaster crown, just to let one of their coasters leave the same year.

It's all marketing. You only need to take away the crown long enough for it to be broadcast to the world. After that, it really doesn't matter. Just like you only need to run Superman: The Escape at 100MPH long enough to get the notoriety for being the fastest roller coaster in the world. After that, you can run it at 80MPH for the next decade...

^^ That.

^ I disagree, Deja Vu is probably the best Vekoma I've ridden other than Expedition Everest.

Does anybody actually think SFMM doesn't know what they are replacing it with? They will be without the crown for maybe 6 months or so I'm sure. They are going to have to do something for 2012 with the competition (Universal/Disney/Sea World) all putting in major attractions/lands for next year.

And next year the marketing will be "We just re-captured the roller coaster crown". You really think the GP will notice that it's the same number of coasters they have right now?

How about a Splash Battle in that place? (Though the arena would be a better place for a Splash Battle)...oh, better yet...theres no Vekoma SLC in southern California, maybe one of those....j/k...I am sure the land wont be empty for long, of course, would they really invest in a new attraction for that spot if they world ends in a year in a half on 12-22-2012....hmmmm? Seriously though, if SFI is back to its ride rotation program...would there be any ride from another park that would be good in that spot?