Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

P. 168: New Tokyo Disneyland expansion details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: NEWS: Tokyo DisneySea to get Jasmine's Flying Carpets

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:10 pm

I updated the post to include new photos from the Disney Parks Blog.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: 2011 Sendai Earthquake / Tokyo Disneyland Flooding

Postby Saldek » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:46 pm

A result of the earthquake has led to a casualty affecting the Tokyo Disney Resort.

The Oriental Land Company will be closing Cirque du Soleil's Zed at the end of the year.

http://www.olc.co.jp/wpmu/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/07/20110725_01e.pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Cirque du Soleil Theatre Tokyo “ZED” to Close

July 25, 2011 Oriental Land Co., Ltd.

URAYASU, CHIBA—Oriental Land Co., Ltd. and Cirque du Soleil have reached an agreement to indefinitely close the Cirque du Soleil Theatre Tokyo, located in Tokyo Disney Resort®. PerformancesofZEDwillendonDecember31,2011.

“ZED” premiered on October 1, 2008 at Cirque du Soleil’s first permanent theater in Japan and was set for an indefinite long run at this venue. It proved to be very popular and reached the one-millionth guest milestone faster than any other show in Japan. Through the over 1,000 performances of “ZED,” many people were provided with an additional new way to enjoy Tokyo Disney Resort.

It is with regret, however, that due to the effects of the Great East Japan Earthquake, the business environment for this theatre greatly changed. Based on a review of the expected results and the long-term viability of the show, it was mutually agreed that the business environment would remain extremely difficult; therefore, it was decided to close the show. Accordingly, the current business partnership with Cirque du Soleil for “ZED” will be dissolved.

A study on future use of the theatre facility will be conducted at a later date. Cirque du Soleil will proceed to the redeployment of its staff and artists

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:51 pm

Hmmm...I'd love to know the WHOLE story here. Judging from the crowds we saw at the resort not sure if the Earthquake is really to blame for this one.

Postby Saldek » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:19 pm

^I'm sure there's more to the story but I do know for a fact that attendance took a severe hit after the earthquake.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:28 pm

^ ZED was underperforming long BEFORE the earthquake.... So buy into the natural disaster scapegoat if you "know that for a fact" :roll: Whatever. But I also know "for a fact" that the show has been in trouble for a while....

12-14-2010

...And poor, poor underperforming ZED. I've heard about its hemorrhaging losses pretty much since its inception. It's certainly not because it's not a good show - it is mind-blowingly FANTASTIC! But it was expensive to produce and must cost a lot to keep going, too. Cirque du Soleil doesn't have enough clout in Japan to be a regular sell-out crowd-bringer based on brand cache alone; I meet Japanese people all the time who - still now - don't recognize the name when they hear it. And truly understanding the majesty of ZED is difficult until you actually go to see it, especially without a strong background of understanding what Cirque du Soleil is all about in the first place.

http://www.examiner.com/worldwide-disney-theme-parks-in-national/cirque-du-soleil-zed-at-tokyo-disney-resort-to-see-lower-ticket-prices-2011
January 17, 2011

In response to what many believe to be a continued slump in attendance at Tokyo Disney's Cirque du Soleil "ZED" show, the Oriental Land Company (OLC) has announced a reduction in ticket prices. Effective April 1 through September 30, 2011, guests can take advantage of the cheaper prices, helping make "ZED" more affordable to everyone.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Cirque du Soleil "ZED" at Tokyo Disney Resort to lower ticket prices in 2011 - National Worldwide Disney Theme Parks | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/worldwide-disney-theme-parks-in-national/cirque-du-soleil-zed-at-tokyo-disney-resort-to-see-lower-ticket-prices-2011#ixzz1T5GxlkeC

Sat 24 Jul 2010 7:29am

There was a huge drop in attendance due to bad advertising from Oriental Land - I saw it when I saw the show in December and there was about 400 people in the theatre. I also heard that when Corteo visited, there was a large buzz for the Cirque du Soleil brand, but even then lots of people in Japan (or Tokyo) didn't even know that Zed existed.

07-30-2009

I am curious how Zed has been received.

Unfortunately maybe not that good. It's a great show but attendance has been low. To give you an idea it is summer vacation and seat availability is wide open and they will probably be giving tickets to friends and family again to fill seats. I hope they can find a way to drive attendance but I have no clue how they will do this.

I attended the show back in May and while I rate it highly, truth must be said it was only 50% full.

I'd dig up more...but I don't need to.... Blame the "earthquake" all you want. The show hasn't been doing well for years.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:38 pm.

Postby Saldek » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:32 pm

^I'm not placing blame on the earthquake.

All I did was post what the official press release from OLC and that I saw the official attendance figures for the show after the quake hit and noticed a severe drop off.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:46 pm

^ Sorry, just came off like you were making it out that it was due to the earthquake this show was having problems, but the problems started long before.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:11 am

The earthquake is just a convenient "final nail in the coffin." The earthquake probably did have a negative affect on attendance for the show (as it is logical to expect people to have far less discretionary income if they were affected by the earthquake), but as Robb pointed out...it's pretty clear the was struggling prior to the earthquake as well.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby rosscoe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:36 am

The thing I found was the show was playing at wierd times when I was there in 2009, would have loved to have seen it. The prices where over the top for the show so Disney won out!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:18 am

Before the current thing happened with Cirque, ZED had originally been directed as a two act production with an intermission.

After a few months of running the show, management was finding that a lot of the (local) audience was leaving the theatre at intermission, because they thought it was over! Really!

So the production was timed down to a one-act-only timing of 90 minutes.
Which is the version I got to see back in June.
Now I am so glad I did see it! It was an awesome show, even at the currrent shorter running time.

But that's what I heard a year or so ago, about Cirque and ZED - so this is just more 'stuff and reason' (unfortunately) for them to shut production down. <sad at hearing it>
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!