TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Oh my gosh!!! I just jumped for joy litterally when I saw the new site for HoS!!!!! I am so excited, reminds me a little of Alice in Wonderland, doesn't it? Like a scary dark side of a Tim Burton created Wonderland?

EDIT - UPDATE -

This is all CONFIRMED info from the new site!

Anyone ready for the dark side of the gardens?

Scarezones -

Widow Makers (New France) - Venture deep into the woods of New France, where a solitary logging camp is ensnared by a killer clan of enormous venomous spiders. The loggers are fighting back with their sharpest blades, but these angry arachnids are bent on destruction—and they’re ready to capture anyone who wanders into their wicked web of terror. So watch your step. If you’re not careful, you could be tangled forever in the spiders’ deadly trap. ***Basically, spiders are moving to New France.***

Shows -

Monster Stomp Revamped (Abbeystone Theater, Ireland) - Experience the revamping of a classic – vampires have come to the monster stomp party, and they are dying to have a good time. Witches, mummies, skeletons and beasts join them in Busch Gardens’ high-powered musical “rockstravaganza.” This show contains adult themes. Parental supervision is advised.

That is all the confirmed info so far that came straight for the NEW UPDATED Howl-o-Scream site! Check it out guys.

I was overjoyed when I saw the site!

Keeping us in suspense though, only announcing one scare zone.

Spiders... god... I hate spiders!

Glad to see Monster Stomp Revamped back, it was a good show last year!

Other than that I'll be staying tuned to see what new haunted houses are this year! Hoping for some new mazes, as the past few years have seemed to be recycled almost. We already know at least one new maze is taking place in the "Europe in the Air" Queue!

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has sent us a press release on the official launch of Howl-O-Scream's website for the 2011 event.

Busch Gardens is harnessing the power of its fans to kick start the 13th season of Howl-O-Scream, the park’s annual fright fest. Today, the park is launching http://www.howl-o-scream.com/va to unveil the details, one scare at a time.

The park is raising Howl-O-Scream to a whole new horrifying level for its 13th anniversary. New scares and fan favorites from previous seasons are being planned to celebrate this special year. The website will feature regularly-scheduled “leaks” announcing details of the new elements along with a final surprise announcement planned just days before Howl-O-Scream’s Sept. 23 opening.

“This year is going to be one of our scariest yet and we want our guests to have the opportunity to participate in the action,” said Dan Dipiazzo, vice president of marketing. “The park is raising Howl-O-Scream to whole new horrifying level this year. The website gives guests a chance to sneak a peek at the new bone-chilling mazes, terrifying shows and gruesome creatures featured at the park this fall.”

Howl-O-Scream opens Sept. 23 and continues every Friday, Saturday and Sunday through Oct. 30. For more information, visit http://www.howl-o-scream.com/va or call

(800) 343-7946.

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment operates 10 parks across the U.S. including SeaWorld parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio; Busch Gardens parks in Tampa, Fla. and Williamsburg; Discovery Cove and Aquatica in Orlando; Sesame Place near Philadelphia, Pa.; and water parks Adventure Island in Tampa and Water Country USA in Williamsburg.

The 10 parks play host to 25 million guests each year and employ 26,000 people nationwide. To learn more, visit http://www.SeaWorldParksandEntertainment.com or call toll-free (888) 800-5447. Additionally, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment created the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund, a non-profit, private charitable foundation committed to supporting wildlife and habitat conservation, research, education and animal rescue programs worldwide. Learn more at SWBG-ConservationFund.org.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg also sent us a press release announcing the winner of this year's Snyder's of Hanover Pretzel Coaster Build-off.

For the second year in a row, Jennifer Westcott from Wayne, N.J. was named the champion in the third annual Snyder’s of Hanover Pretzel Coaster Build-Off held today at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. Westcott used a variety of Snyder’s of Hanover pretzels to construct a replica of Busch Gardens’ famous Loch Ness Monster roller coaster. The judges included experts from Busch Gardens, a pretzel expert from Snyder’s of Hanover and a roller coaster fan from the American Coaster Enthusiasts club. Westcott competed against finalists who earned a spot in the contest by creating a “homemade” pretzel coaster and submitting it for judging to the Snyder’s of Hanover website.

The finalists competed against the clock using only pretzels, a glue gun and creativity. Each had the same challenge – to build Busch Gardens’ classic Loch Ness Monster, the world’s first and only interlocking, double-looping, steel roller coaster.

“It’s really great to come back and defend our title,” Westcott said. “This is such a wonderful contest.”

For winning today’s contest, Westcott received a four-pack of two-year, 2-Park passes to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA, and a year’s supply of Snyder’s of Hanover pretzels. The estimated retail value of the grand prize is more than $1,200.

Coaster Finalists

Austin Muff, Spring Grove, Pa.

Justin Heiser, Courtland, Va.

Carter Pehr, Cary, N.C.

Linda Hickey, Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Justin Knapp, Richmond, Va.

2010 champion Jennifer Westcott from Wayne, N.J.

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment operates 10 parks across the U.S. including SeaWorld parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio; Busch Gardens parks in Tampa, Fla. and Williamsburg; Discovery Cove and Aquatica in Orlando; Sesame Place near Philadelphia, Pa.; and water parks Adventure Island in Tampa and Water Country USA in Williamsburg.

Snyder’s of Hanover has been America’s favorite Pretzel Bakery since 1909. They have been recognized for their creative new products and their assortment of delicious pretzels. Snyder’s of Hanover is the healthy, great tasting brand of snacks Americans choose! For recipes and amusing facts on pretzels visit www.snydersofhanover.com.

Edited by jedimaster1227

I have a feeling we may not see any of the mazes from last year except for a revamped Pompeii unless they consider Catacombs a fan favorite. Although I think we can expect at least half the stuff fan favorites, one of them being clowns. I am excited to see what is in store this year, I think they are giving the info out one or two things each week since there is only about 10 - 11 weeks left before HoS starts.

^Catacombs had good atmosphere but was a hit-or-miss maze. Sometimes, nothing happened in there; other times, there were scareactors jumping out from everywhere. I wouldn't mind if they retired it. I rather liked Masquerage, but it only lasted one season.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has sent us a press release regarding their upcoming Summer concert series.

Busch Gardens heats up the stage this summer with chart-topping performances from artists singing pop, classic rock and oldies hits. All concerts are included with park admission and will be performed at the Royal Palace Theatre.

Pop sensation Colbie Caillat takes the stage July 23-24 singing popular songs like “Bubbly.” Miranda Cosgrove, star of Nickelodeon’s “iCarly” and best known for hits like “Dancing Crazy,” will perform on July 30-31. Guests can enjoy classic rock hits from Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo on Aug. 27-28. This Labor Day weekend, celebrate the golden age of rock ‘n’ roll with Neil Sedaka and hits like “Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.”

Guests looking for a delicious meal and the best seats in the house can enjoy the Busch Gardens LIVE VIP Buffet or Busch Gardens Concert Dining Certificate. Both options include a meal and great seats to rockin’ good concerts. The VIP Buffet and Dining Certificates are still available for Colbie Caillat, Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo and Neil Sedaka on a first come, first served basis, and they are going fast. Call (800) 343-7946 or visit buschgardens.com/va for pricing and availability.

The 10 parks play host to 25 million guests each year and employ 26,000 people nationwide. To learn more, visit http://www.SeaWorldParksandEntertainment.com or call toll-free (888) 800-5447. Additionally, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment created the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund, a non-profit, private charitable foundation committed to supporting wildlife and habitat conservation, research, education and animal rescue programs worldwide. Learn more at SWBG-ConservationFund.org.

Calendar Listing

Busch Gardens is celebrating the summer with sizzling concerts at the Royal Palace Theatre in the park’s France village.

• Colbie Caillat July 23 & 24
  • Miranda Cosgrove July 30 & 31
  • Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo Aug. 27 & 28
  • Neil Sedaka Sept. 3 & 4

Alright guys, I went to BGW today and rode Griffon twice, Alpengeist once, Apollo's Chariot twice, and Loch Ness Monster once!

I also have a construction update-

Mach Tower-

Testing in full swing. Testing video below.

Verbolten-

The crater for the themed building is ENOURMOUS!!! The clearing has now made it to the Rhine River. The view of the construction site is AMAZING from the top of Griffon! See pictures below.

PICT0374.AVI

Testing.

PICT0377.thumb.JPG.eed1397e0577ca71d703ef7b12bd55d1.JPG

Mach Tower train.

PICT0378.thumb.JPG.7966ab88337376dfdd7e2888393d755e.JPG

Verbolten pics!!! YAY

PICT0380.thumb.JPG.7303b3b6815debb7e5addd5da90e1a70.JPG

Close up! YAY

PICT0379.thumb.JPG.30a03d0ef7c3bafd61af089ea83ee150.JPG

Station YAY!

This Saturday at BGW...am I crazy if I choose that day to attend? Obviously Saturday would be the busiest day, but I don't have a lot of options. However, I don't want to risk it if the park will be absolutely unable to be navigated.

If you get there at opening you won't have a problem. The rides won't start getting a long line until 2-3. They should stay around 15-30 minutes from 12-2, and basically 5-15 minutes up until 12. Well, this from my experience.

Edit: If you do get there at opening, ride everything then and enjoy the Illuminights and shows in the evening when the lines are long.

This Saturday at BGW...am I crazy if I choose that day to attend? Obviously Saturday would be the busiest day, but I don't have a lot of options. However, I don't want to risk it if the park will be absolutely unable to be navigated.

Two words if you're only going to be there for one day, and it's a Saturday: Quick Queue.

I visited BGW for the first time as a guest in about two years yesterday and it was awesome! I fit in all the coasters + rerides and won one of those cool stuffed bananas that I see everyone carrying all over the park.

Rode all the major dry rides + swings and bumper cars. This was also my first time riding Europe in the Air!

Loch Ness Monster - 2 rides, both middle - Fun ride! I figured out how to keep my head from slamming against the headrest/restraints but that transition into the final lift hill still beats you up regardless of how you ride.

Griffon - 2 rides, front and middle - Good as always! I still wish the ride were more intense/better themed

Alpengeist - 2 rides, both front - Fun ride, but very shaky in the outer seats. I got tunnel vision from the bottom of the first drop to the first loop. Still fun & intense regardless of how rough it is.

Apollo's Chariot - 1 ride, middle - Airtime on all the hills! Definitely a great way to end my coaster riding! I've forgotten how fun this ride was.

Europe in the Air - 1 ride - Rode the ride to escape the heat. Story was meh compared to Corkscrew, but what can you expect? The transitions between scenes is way too choppy. I would've preferred the ride a little more if there was a dropping scene or a few more near-misses like DK/Corkscrew and if the transitions were better.

I was surprised and kinda saddened to see that Castle O Sullivan left for Dine with Elmo/Celtic Fyre. I was told by an employee that most of the Ireland themed shows/attractions are slowly being phased out for more generic shows/attractions.

I've already ridden DarKastle plenty of times before so it wasn't too special, except for seeing a car leaving a maintenance bay, which was really cool!

Mach Tower was testing on and off all day long.

Not much going on at Verbolten.

You might get lucky with sparse crowds as this heatwave may keep people from going. If it is busy then (as others said) you can get a Quick Queue.

I will be visiting the park for the first time this (incredibly hot) Saturday and have been looking through this thread about a possible plan of action. I've gathered that it's probably going to be busy but the extreme heat may help keep the crowds from being excessive. The group I'm going with is only three big, myself included, and all of us like pretty much everything so we are going to want to try to get as much in as possible. I've essentially determined that the regulars suggest just getting there at opening and riding all the major coasters/rides as quickly as possible in the morning and then doing the other stuff later on when the lines increase in size for the major attractions and it becomes unbearably hot outside. Is this essentially what a regular to the park would suggest for a first-timer? I will admit my knowledge of the park is lacking at best and beyond getting the five credits, what must I make sure to get in during my visit in order to get the best first time experience out of BGW? Thanks in advance for any and all help.