Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 329: Newest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: Kennywood Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:41 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11172/1155159-56.stm

If Kennywood officials decide the price is right for their Pitt Fall drop ride, the experience of plummeting 251 feet toward earth at 65 mph -- and living to tell about it -- could be a memory at the West Mifflin amusement park.

International Rides Management, a Wildwood, N.J.-based brokerage company, listed the Pitt Fall for sale on its Facebook page last week. The agency has sold other rides for Kennywood in the past.

Kennywood spokesman Jeff Filicko on Monday confirmed the sale. "We are currently exploring our opportunities for selling the Pitt Fall," he said. "But that is in no way an indication as to whether or not the ride will be removed or remain in the park for next season."

The black and gold Pitt Fall, which was the tallest free-fall ride in the world when it opened in 1997, has experienced declining ridership, he said. It works on a system of pulleys and magnets, which form a strong magnetic field that smoothly slows the ride about 70 feet above the ground. Sixteen people can ride at a time.

IRM Vice President Sam Shurgott said Kennywood has expressed interest in a potential replacement ride for the Pitt Fall if it can be sold. No price was listed.

"Kennywood is a tightly packed park, and unfortunately that means some attractions have to be taken out to bring in something new," Mr. Shurgott said. "But what will replace the Pitt Fall will surely pack a punch."

Still the Pitt Fall has its fans.

"I don't want to see the Pitt Fall leave the park because it's honestly a good thrill," said Andrew Fedor, 28, of Ben Avon. "It keeps Kennywood up to date with other amusement parks and the suspense is fun. It's just a good time."

Amusement park message boards were buzzing Monday as ride enthusiasts speculated what might replace the Pitt Fall. Many suggested that a giant swing ride similar to Cedar Point's new WindSeeker attraction is the most likely candidate.

But Mr. Shurgott disagreed. "Kennywood looks for new rides that don't exist within neighboring markets," he said. "The ride they're looking for is much better than the WindSeeker."
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Across_the_Universe » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:47 pm

^Well I'd better get a ride in on Pitt Fall when I go for my marching band this August. I never rode a drop tower before, mainly because I had no desire to until last year with band. It was right after the parade and some of my friends and I rushed to Pitt Fall to get a night ride, but then it started raining and lightning was flashing across the sky, so we decided against riding.
"Let's make a list of who we need and we'll throw it away
'Cause we don't need anyone, no we don't need anyone"
The Format-'The First Single'

Coaster Credits: 40

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:59 am

http://www.wpxi.com/news/28461193/detail.html

Kennywood officials announced on Wednesday that they’ll be holding “Holiday Lights” in December at the park.

The park will be open Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on select days, with activities including a light show featuring tens of thousands of lights set to holiday songs.

The park is scheduled to be open Dec. 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 16, 17 and 18. The show will take place around the lagoon several times each night, officials said.

"Having a holiday event at Kennywood is something we've been talking about for years. It really wasn't considered a serious idea until this year," said Kennywood spokesman Jeff Filicko.

Guests can also enjoy the Carousel, Kangaroo, Paratrooper, a newly holiday themed Olde Kennywood Railroad and several rides in Kiddieland.

"With holiday lights, it's great because now we get to visit Kennywood in December and even ride some rides which is kind of cool," said Kennywood visitor Bill Linkenheimer.
Food will also be available, including kettle corn, s’mores, a variety of hot drinks and Potato Patch Fries.

Parking will be free and there will be a small admission fee yet to be determined, officials said.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I roomed with Tony and lived to tell about it!

Postby philthephorce » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks Adam! Sounds interesting, but I hope that small entrance fee is really, REALLY small since the activities usually associated with a visit to Kennywood will be severely limited by the cold weather, and I'm sure people will find a way to feel disappointed or even complain about this. It would still be awesome to see the park decked out in Christmas lights. :D

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby PhantomNick » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:28 pm

I think the Holiday Lights event is a GREAT idea! I'm thinking it will be pretty well received around here. Shoot, tons of Christmas lights, some hot chocolate, and a chance to devour some Potato Patch fries in December?? Sign me up, please!! =)
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby PennStater » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:12 am

I was at the park for the announcement yesterday, and everyone seemed pretty excited about it. Looking forward to it! :)
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby PhantomNick » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:22 pm

During my last visit to the park a couple weeks back I rode Pitt Fall, and was reminded why that thing is my favorite drop tower that I've ridden so far. I do understand the reasoning for putting it up for sale, and don't blame the park one bit for doing so. It's just a little sad to me, as that has been one of the most recognizable symbols of Kennywood (along with the Phantom) since 1997. There's nothing like crossing the Rankin Bridge and glancing to the left and seeing Phantom's lift and the towering Pitt Fall. I plan on riding it some more this season, in case this is in fact its last. Whenever it does leave, it will be missed!

I'm definitely curious what replacement the park has in mind if/when it does sell.

Also curious what some TPR opinions will be of Sky Rocket when the Road to Cedar Point trip rolls through Kennywood. :)
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:24 pm

PhantomNick wrote:Also curious what some TPR opinions will be of Sky Rocket when the Road to Cedar Point trip rolls through Kennywood. :)

Agreed, I've been thinking the same!
Last Coaster Ridden: Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion on August 24, 2018.

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Now I wonder what Kennywood is going to put in where Pitt Fall stood in 2012?
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:52 pm

I was there the same day the Christmas event was mentioned on the news and they had a couple of over-sized presents wrapped with a sign mentioning the new event over by the merry-go-round. Should be great for the park!

I was surprised to see Pitt-Fall running when we were there, but stupid me by-passed it the first time and then we never made it back over to ride it before the park closed (we were only there a couple of hours for the star-lite). I really hate to see that go though, as the Intamin's make some great drop towers and that one is in a prime location.

Sky Rocket was a great ride and a wonderful addition for the park. While not quite as exciting as I thought it was originally going to be, it's still a fun, compact, original coaster which I'm sure will be well received on the TPR tour. It's a great compliment to the park's coaster line-up!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!