The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: BlahBlahson and 30 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread!!!

Postby edgeboy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:25 pm

Didn't see a single rider line yet. I'd hope they'd get one too, but I see no sign of it right now. But the Flashpass signs are already up.

I addressed what Tim said about the block brake in my previous post. That was right from the horse's mouth.
Last edited by edgeboy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:49 pm.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby The Big So-So » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:42 pm

PAL wrote:Quick tip, if you're 6-3 or over, wear low-heeled shoes or you may be too tall to ride. My 6-4 son couldn't ride today at media day. My take on the ride to come later. I'll say this much - intense!

I just saw the 77" height restriction listed on the SFMM Web site. Looks like I won't be able to ride. :(
I don't understand why a ride of this type would need such a restriction. This is hugely disappointing.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby TheCoasterGuy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:19 pm

FrightFest1408 wrote:
BLOCKEDSITE wrote:
cooksta77 wrote:From the Six Flags Twitter

Wow...my bald spot appears to be getting bigger. Good thing I can't normally see it. :-)

ii guessing your in the right side with stripes. :P

It's actually a solid green, but looks striped in this photo. Front row, in front of the blonde in the white sweatshirt.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby shpm5150 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Today was media day for the new DC Universe and Green Lantern First Flight at Six Flags Magic Mountain. First off the area looks great and is full of color. And Green Lantern is an awesome addition. The ride is intense and basically the weight distribution will either give you an OK ride or an OMFG kinda ride, today they were not balancing the cars. As some people have already mentioned the ride kinda feel's like a carnival Zipper on a track. The arm guards are not a nuisance at all and during the course of the ride I didn't even notice them. As of today there was not a single rider entrance, but the Flashpass sign was up in all it's glory. As mentioned before there is no preshow but several themed rooms to get you out of the heat, and give you something to look at. So now on to the pictures and video!

DSC00087.JPG
MMmmmm Something is about to be uncovered?
DSC00088.JPG
DSC00089.JPG
DC Universe is now open
DSC00091.JPG
Wonder Woman without pants! Good Choice
DSC00092.JPG
DSC00095.JPG
New Theming
DSC00096.JPG
More new theming
DSC00097.JPG
Teen Titan's Pizza
DSC00098.JPG
And today's main attraction
DSC00099.JPG
DSC00102.JPG
The stage and the Lantern. The Lantern does light up.
DSC00104.JPG
Bonnie Rabjohn, SFMM park president welcoming us.
DSC00106.JPG
Geoff Johns DC Cheif Creative Officer and Green Lantern writer.
DSC00108.JPG
And the man of the hour
DSC00114.JPG
Fireworks
DSC00118.JPG
Green Lantern's Confetti Flight
DSC00125.JPG
Theming
DSC00128.JPG
Happy Riders
DSC00129.JPG
DSC00130.JPG
Inside station shot
DSC00137.JPG
Going Up
DSC00138.JPG
Thank you Six Flags
DSC00139.JPG
DSC00140.JPG
DSC00141.JPG
More Happy Riders
DSC00143.JPG
DSC00150.JPG
Cars with soft and comfy restraints. And seriously the arm guard is not a big freakin deal at all.
DSC00151.JPG
Nerd Shot
DSC00155.JPG
DSC00156.JPG
DSC00162.JPG
The villan side of the arch. Very nicely done
DSC00166.JPG
And we'll leave you with someone who left their clothes behind in a phone booth?
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:41 am.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby TheCoasterGuy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:23 pm

6flagsbrad wrote:Alright, first question. Is there a single-rider line and is the ride on Flash Pass? And second, why are the cars stopping so much on the block brakes now? In the test runs it was only slowing just a bit. Maybe only because it was for testing reasons.

I was a single rider today but there were no others that I saw. I hooked up pretty quickly with a group of three. They wouldn't let me ride alone. I got the impression it was an attempt to maximize capacity and had nothing to do with weight distribution.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby XII » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:57 pm

OMG!!! I got on Green Lantern today and it is SO GOOD!!!!! :lover: And from what I heard from one of the employees, they are planning on putting in a single riders line to allow groups of three to go since they won't load a car without 4 people, and looking in the line for single riders would be too hard. And like everyone else said, you don't even remember the ride had armguards once the ride starts.
Just because yours is smaller doesn't make you less of a man. Unless we're talking about your brain.
http://www.incrediblecoasters.com

Did Medusa in the front and back

Postby atem122 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:03 pm

That Clinton Street Apartments building really blew me away.

I'm 39 and can't find the Shift Key

Postby fatdaddy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:06 am

The ride is awesome, the arm guards don't make a difference, really this is not a coaster that you are gonna wanna put your arms up on anyway. The rest of DC Universe is very well done, my daughter loves superheros and she's gonna love this, and she won't even be riding Green Lantern.
WHO'S YOUR DADDY?

It all started with a donkey

Postby the ghost » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:19 am

Whose for doing a "group meet" outside of this @ WCB next year and organize so we can all get wait distributions right? That's what we did at Sierra Sidewinder at the knott's day and it worked out great!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby awolfkiel » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:21 am

I got 2 of my 5 rides by offering to be a single rider. i.e. paying attention, standing out of the way on the exit ramp, and madly waving hands when the ride-ops are obviously looking for a spare rider.

I heard some rumors of park employees etc. that were able to ride in unbalanced configurations (heavy one side, light the other) those folks had nearly continuous spins. All my rides were slightly over balanced on one side and that way you get one spin on the last drop. I talked to another rider who said his car was very well balanced and he did not get the last spin.

The ride cycle time was slow and with only 8 riders per car this will mean a long wait. You should plan on ERT goodness unless you don't mind spending more than an hour in line. My experience was: I waited until the crush died down and the line was at the building entrance. While waiting, about 30 people decided they had waited to long and exited. All told it was about 45 minutes.

By the time I got to the line split (left/right) they had a ride-op stationed there to filter the crowd of people onto the platform. They were letting 8 people wait at the top of the stairs and 8 people stand at the bottom (setting up groups of 4). Apparently this was to prevent "crowded, hot, miserable" conditions in this area of the queue. This area did not have a fan as did the two other rooms of line queue. (When I say fan, I mean a 12 foot diameter 10 bladed monstrosity 20 feed over your head). If they don't keep doing this (think small crowd weekdays) you may have a poor line experience.

Some people thought the ride was not "smooth", I disagree, the restraints are comfortable, however, the g-forces are very intense resulting in strong pressure into the restraints (I found myself thinking about the quality of the seatbelts) yet the force is built up over several hundreds of milliseconds resulting in no sudden jarring and no head-slamming. By my 3rd ride I felt courageous enough to hold up my arms to no ill effect (inside seat only).

Be aware the 77" maximum = 6'5"; tall people won't be able to ride.

PreviousNext