TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

^Wouldn't imaginary SFA Regular then get mad at imaginary SFA for not having enough coasters?

Actually no, that was the past me. I'm aware that the economy has got things on a struggle and that it's hard for theme park companies to take gambles on these big coaster attractions. Therefore, I have came up with a lot of other smaller ideas that would work. One could say that the company doesn't want to invest in SFA, which could be a reason why we have not received spanking new attractions. But if you look at it, we went through management changes. Look at the history. When Burke was CEO we received Two-Face, Joker's Jinx, Superman, Batwing, Penguins Blizzard River and Hurricane Harbor. When Danny and Shapiro took the seat, they replaced our former GM Janet Porter and brought in Terry Prather from SFNO. He later on left and went to BGE and now is president of one of the Sea Worlds. When Shapiro was at the seat, all he did for other parks were ride revamps. So when you look at it, we weren't neglected that much. We lost a couple of rides like Two-Face and Iron Eagle, but the new board can easily replace them. It just felt that way because of the economy. Summer of 2010, Shapiro and Danny were kicked off the board and we received Alexander Weber as interim CEO. Now Jim Reid-Anderson is our CEO and Alexander Weber is chairman if I'm correct. We aren't being neglected at all. The new board of directory is trying to learn the parks. So basically it all comes down to transition.

I thought Lance had reported that if the Green Lantern at SFMM was successful this year, other SF parks nationally would receive one next year. I agree the park would benefit from a B&M, especially from a capacity point of view, but a Zac Spin would provide the "wow" factor the park needs to compete against KD and BGW.

I thought Lance had reported that if the Green Lantern at SFMM was successful this year, other SF parks nationally would receive one next year. I agree the park would benefit from a B&M, especially from a capacity point of view, but a Zac Spin would provide the "wow" factor the park needs to compete against KD and BGW.

I wouldn't add a Zac Spin to SFA, neither would I add one to KD. It's just not the style of the two parks. It's on the lines of unique, but if you asked more people from SFA or KD, what they wanted they would probably vote for B&M Invert. Don't get me wrong, you could add a zacspin coaster, but look at what KD has. KD gained a suspended top spin ride, while we lost Iron Eagle and replaced it with a stage. KD has an intamin suspended launch coaster, while we only have Mind Eraser as our suspended Intamin. KD has an indoor premier launch compared to our struggling Joker's Jinx that experiences roll backs and valleys. They have a 305 ft Intamin sky coaster compared to our 205 ft Intamin sky coaster. They have a B&M coaster, compared to us not having one at all. We use to be able to say that we had two Vekomas; one being a suspended invertigo while the other being a flying dutchman. We still have the flying dutch-man but it's always been a maintenance problem. The only thing we can say we have are cheaper prices and better water park than KD.

As for the Fall season. Our Halloween theme does not compare anything to KD's sense Cedar Fair bought them. Those who have been to KD's HAUNT season, knows what I mean. I'm not saying that SFA has to try and out do every attraction that KD has done, but they need to address the areas in where KD has succeeded.

Rather than fitting a compact B&M coaster in there, they could make that whole area into a sub-theme section. I would call it Ship Wreck Cove. Rather than adding a coaster, they could add something like Tomb:Raider Fire fall, but with a haunted pirate theme. That would be the main attraction for this sub-theme section. Other than the ride, there would be games, shops and restaurants. I personally feel, that big amount of space can be used for a lot more than just one small compact coaster. I would much rather them save the high investment and try and add a B&M in Gotham City for 2013. Maybe then, will they complete the park in a loop.

Sense I normally get smashed for thinking up this imaginary coaster ideas, I figured this would be better. The suspended top spin, Pirate themed ride, would serve as a replacement for Iron Eagle. That way we get one of our lost attractions back and a cool theme area with games and shops with it. If done right, both families and teens would be happy.

Where are all the enclosed rides?

Hey guys, sorry to break the current conversation, but what kind of lines could I expect on a late-june friday? I'm going to SFA for the first time on the 24th and I'm not sure what I should expect.

Thanks!

Shouldn't be too bad.

thanks, hopefully it won't, because of the apparently terrible operations at SFA, lol

Rather than fitting a compact B&M coaster in there, they could make that whole area into a sub-theme section. I would call it Ship Wreck Cove. Rather than adding a coaster, they could add something like Tomb:Raider Fire fall, but with a haunted pirate theme. That would be the main attraction for this sub-theme section. Other than the ride, there would be games, shops and restaurants. I personally feel, that big amount of space can be used for a lot more than just one small compact coaster. I would much rather them save the high investment and try and add a B&M in Gotham City for 2013. Maybe then, will they complete the park in a loop.

Sense I normally get smashed for thinking up this imaginary coaster ideas, I figured this would be better. The suspended top spin, Pirate themed ride, would serve as a replacement for Iron Eagle. That way we get one of our lost attractions back and a cool theme area with games and shops with it. If done right, both families and teens would be happy.

Where are all the enclosed rides?

Enclosed rides? I've mentioned putting Joker's Jinx inside an enclosed dark building, but people tell me it's too expensive; so I stopped suggesting it. To get back on topic, they could easily start improving Fright Fest this coming season. The board of directory mentioned they wanted to get Six Flags parks back to it's former style of Fright Fest. I feel that's a good place to start this coming season. Two-Face's old spot could easily be used for a huge tent. Inside, they could install walls and all different types of props for whatever type of theme they want. They could also remove the tables and stuff from the Pavilion area and set up walls for a rather sizable maze. I would even shut off the lamp post back there, so that's it's dark. Only lights back there would be a few lamp post and lights from the line queue and maze. There are other areas, they could use but I don't want to name them all in this post.

To make guests even more happier, the haunted mazes would be free with park admission. Sense KD and SFA was being compared, why not start right there. Guests would appreciate it more in the long run if they were treated to good quality mazes with no additional charge. If the mazes are actually good, guests will continue to buy park tickets or season passes each year and return.

After reading a few of the posts, especially the fanboy posts, I'm a bit discouraged.

The park hasn't had a major attraction addition since 2003- and I'm stretching that quite a bit with PBR. The park has REMOVED a coaster, and yet to replace it with something (ANYTHING) to make up for it's loss. The waterpark has had a HANDFUL of changes and additions- and has just recently renovated their oldest slides in the park for re-use.

And you're not seriously suggesting adding a small theme area with a couple of flat rides?

A modern-era park needs to add a 'heavy' class of ride every three to four years in order to stay competitive in a market. When you have: A 305 foot tall, 94 MPH speed-monster with great coverage to the south, and a park adding it's 12th coaster to the north, you'd better be ready to handle the competition. To add a small re-themed area with a handful of attractions would be suicide in this market.

SFA has made changes in the past few years to prepare for major works (I'm being optimistic here and giving the benefit of the doubt) such as a new coaster. The park doesn't need a new theme area with some flats. It needs a hard-core, bring them in through the front gate and make them wait an hour or two coaster. SFA needs to make a statement that says "We're here, and we mean BUSINESS."

Anything less, and they should just send in the bulldozers now and get it over with.

Speaking of Joker's Jinx, it was running really well last weekend. Actually, it was a much smoother and overall a better ride experience when compared to the FOFs. ...I've been on all three in the last 3 weeks.

...Just thought I would say something positive about SFA.

After reading a few of the posts, especially the fanboy posts, I'm a bit discouraged.

The park hasn't had a major attraction addition since 2003- and I'm stretching that quite a bit with PBR. The park has REMOVED a coaster, and yet to replace it with something (ANYTHING) to make up for it's loss. The waterpark has had a HANDFUL of changes and additions- and has just recently renovated their oldest slides in the park for re-use.

And you're not seriously suggesting adding a small theme area with a couple of flat rides?

A modern-era park needs to add a 'heavy' class of ride every three to four years in order to stay competitive in a market. When you have: A 305 foot tall, 94 MPH speed-monster with great coverage to the south, and a park adding it's 12th coaster to the north, you'd better be ready to handle the competition. To add a small re-themed area with a handful of attractions would be suicide in this market.

SFA has made changes in the past few years to prepare for major works (I'm being optimistic here and giving the benefit of the doubt) such as a new coaster. The park doesn't need a new theme area with some flats. It needs a hard-core, bring them in through the front gate and make them wait an hour or two coaster. SFA needs to make a statement that says "We're here, and we mean BUSINESS."

Anything less, and they should just send in the bulldozers now and get it over with.

Well, I had an idea that could get the parks feet wet before we just add a big coaster. I was trying to take into consideration that less people could be attending SFA right now, based on the economy. If things are worst in 2012, they may not get the return on it that they were expecting. Of course their expectations on money return for such an investment should be spread over a longer period of time, give or take the condition of our economy. But check out this next idea I have.

Now here is where I get back to an old idea. I still think it would be a cheaper investment in this economy to remove Tower of Doom and install a Drop Zone Tower in Gotham City. Yea the park could use another monster to top Superman, but wouldn't a new drop tower get SFA's feet wet before we add another rolling monster? Again, it's only a suggestion for a 2013 attraction. They could just fill Tower of Doom's old spot with a few flat rides while the new monster tower is in Gotham City. The flats, would be family oriented so that nobody gets neglected.

The theme park business is booming during the recession - it's a daycation that isn't far from home, and that's exactly what people need. Just like the theater back in the 30s.

And if you think Six Flags needs to get their feet "wet" before adding a big new ride...I'd say their feet are soaked and wrinkly by now.

The theme park business is booming during the recession - it's a daycation that isn't far from home, and that's exactly what people need. Just like the theater back in the 30s.

And if you think Six Flags needs to get their feet "wet" before adding a big new ride...I'd say their feet are soaked and wrinkly by now.

Well I have been criticized in the past for thinking up these big coaster ideas, so I started thinking more of the smaller ideas. Still, I doubt they will give us a big coaster anytime soon.

If the past is any indication generally when an attraction is closed mid-season it's usually a coaster or other large project that is planned for that site. Removing GASM at Great Adventure is one example.

While I have never visited SFA yet and following its history on the Net I wouldn't say that the park is neglected, IMO, as it has seen some investment but given what has been added to the other regional parks in the last couple years maybe it's time to add something much more significant. With SFGAdv and Kings Dominion more than likely not getting anything big next year the park could finally add something to grab more attention to the park.

^ While SFGAdv and KD probably aren't getting anything, Hershey, Dorney, and BGE are all getting coasters (two of which will probably get some national attention). It's essentially impossible for SFA to catch a year where NONE of their competitor add anything major...

Well, I had an idea that could get the parks feet wet before we just add a big coaster. I was trying to take into consideration that less people could be attending SFA right now, based on the economy. If things are worst in 2012, they may not get the return on it that they were expecting. Of course their expectations on money return for such an investment should be spread over a longer period of time, give or take the condition of our economy. But check out this next idea I have.

Now here is where I get back to an old idea. I still think it would be a cheaper investment in this economy to remove Tower of Doom and install a Drop Zone Tower in Gotham City. Yea the park could use another monster to top Superman, but wouldn't a new drop tower get SFA's feet wet before we add another rolling monster? Again, it's only a suggestion for a 2013 attraction. They could just fill Tower of Doom's old spot with a few flat rides while the new monster tower is in Gotham City. The flats, would be family oriented so that nobody gets neglected.

So you're suggesting that SFA take out their drop tower so they can build a different drop tower? I don't understand why SFA would waste their money on that. Their current drop tower is perfectly fine, there is no reason to build a new one. What the park does need is a new coaster, and there is no reason to wait any longer.

You make a good point about removing coasters and how that usually means a new one is coming. Given SF's financial position and their past comments, a Zac Spin would the cost effective solution, while it's uniqueness would potentially motivate people to visit them over Hershey and Dorney, which are a good four hours away from SFA. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new Beemer at SFA, but you can't ignore the rumor that more Zac Spins are coming if Green Lantern is a success.

Noted from Screamscape

2012 - New Attraction - Rumor - (6/13/11) I’m really not too sure about this particular rumor… so take this with a grain of salt, but one e-mail sent in claims that Iron Wolf may be moved from SFGAm and sent to SFA as the new coaster for 2012, where I believe it would fit into the site rather easily. I’m just not sure if SFGAm is ready to let go of another coaster just yet, unless they’re getting something better to replace it, so for now just keep this one in the back of your mind.

I hope thats completely untrue, as I don't see how that would benefit either park. Great America has room as well for a new coaster, (especially if its something that can fit in IW footprint) and I don't see something like IW being able to pull in good crowds for SFA, because it really can't compete with the coasters near by parks are adding. Plus, I just don't want to lose it

It will be interesting to watch no doubt. Part of me thinks it makes a ton of sense, while if SF considers Hershey or Dorney as competitors, it makes little sense since you have to basically drive by SFGA to get to either of those park.