TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Wow! Complaining about getting some attention?

That's definitely something I didn't expect to see in the SFA Discussion Thread.

Everyone here is always complaining about being "neglected" and spouting doom and gloom, but Thomas Town and the waterslide upgrade doesn't sound like neglect to me. SF's highest performing park hasn't gotten a major coaster since 2002. Every single addition they've received since then was a family ride/attraction. SF's treating SFA the same way.

OK the service does suck, but that doesn't mean that SFA's being neglected by the parent company. I kinda feel the blame should be focused on the employees more than the parent company, since the bad service seems to be consistent to only SFA.

On another note, the doom and gloom is a good read.

Pretty much what I was saying. It's a GOOD thing their fixing things up. But bad employees in today's economy is management's fault somewhere down the line. There's not much of a reason to get some half decent employees, and I have a feeling a lot of the people being hired are friends of someone else sorta deal. Rather than GOOD employees.

Like I was saying, I know people that would kill just to have a job nowadays.

^To a degree you still blame the park, but what if "better" employees simply do not apply for that park? It doesn't have the greatest reputation.

I look at SFA as a similar size/attendance park as Valleyfair or Worlds of Fun for Cedar Fair. Since 1999 when it was flagged they have added 4 adult coasters, (yes one has been removed), had a big waterpark expansion, added a new kids area, new water ride in the park, etc. which is similar to the expansions at VF and WOF. The difference is most of SFA's occurred in like 3 seasons while WOF and VF had their expansions spaced out like a smart business should.

I always hated how SFA always waits so late to announce a new attraction. (well in this case, a retheme) lol but I'm glad the park is doing something. Those slides were my favorite. I kind of knew that they would re-open them one day and I'm glad they are doing it! Don't know how its going to work with Tony Hawk (or whatever its new name is) infront of it...

When you look at a park like SFA, and it's location, prime assets, and demographics of the DC area, you need to remember one thing: They could offer 15.00 an hour and still end up with crap for employees.

Am I saying all the employees are crap? No. I have met some -great- staffers who have worked their way up into SF management from SFA- ones who went out of their way to make sure things ran right. But, sadly, those are the EXCEPTION, not the rule.

Is there neglect at SFA. Yup. Renovating slides, adding in a new kiddie land, yes- those are good things. But let's look at the overall scenario of the park (Hmmmm.... Perhaps Crazy Park Manager should MAKE a scenario for a TPR challenge here).

New attractions since 2001: Batwing, the Vekoma flyer that's nearly always a one-train operation. Penguin's Blizzard River, an oversized waterslide with rafts.

Rides removed since 2001: TwoFace. Chaos (OK, I'll give the credit there, will anyone MISS it?) The Enterprise, the Roto-Shake...

The last major coaster for the park was a decade ago in June... and they have LOST one coaster along the way. This is NOT a good trend at all. Could SFA be turned back into a place of expansion? Sure. Easily. BUT- will SF do so? I'm highly doubtful at this point. Small, easily removed expansions, and 'renovations' to existing rides and calling them 'new' is NOT the way I'd continue to expand a park- for any reason.

I recall reading a thread posted on SFAFans that one of their administrators linked to TPR.

He basically wandered around the park taking before and after shots of the different areas of the park and noting the changes.

You could clearly see the changes that the park went through from the height of the Burke era to the present. Buildings that were left to rot in the early 2000s were repainted and upgraded. Paths were repaved and there were new planters placed throughout the park. Heck, the Hurricane Harbor area was literally transformed from a drab, dated looking waterpark to a nicely themed, brighter water play area (maybe even on par with the Busch parks).

If anyone has the time to find it, please post a link!

Now about the employees... Any job is bound to have its bad employees, but SFA must be doing something wrong if they keep hiring the same bad employees year after year. And on top of that, SFA shouldn't be the only one to blame when it comes to bad service. Any company isn't gonna tell it's employees to do a bad job, so the employees themselves are equally at fault.

Lastly, let's take a look at CGA. CGA's lost two coasters in the past 10 or so years under both Paramount and CF (this includes their flagship coaster and an inverted boomerang) and (I think) a small handful or rides. Plus a water park expansion underneath one of their former coasters and a children's area retheme. I only recall two new rides built in the 2000s (Survivor and a Wild Mouse). They're in a similar spot as SFA, except their park may get paved over in the future, yet the locals seem to act a lot more mature when it comes to their problems. I don't hear of them demanding new coasters or crying foul every time they remove a ride or go another year without something new. I've also never heard of any of them getting banned from posting on their Facebook page.

- Makes me wonder what's their secret to acting more mature?

I still stick with the employees being bad, is unacceptable. I have a below average job, and I'm expected, just like everyone else to behave in a fast, respective manor. I work with a few ex-cons, and people that you would think wouldn't be good employees. But you know what, everyone HAS to do what's expected of them.

The area is no different. It really isn't. I'm sure the park is filled with people like I listed just the same. ALL those employees should either realize they need to be good employees, or there out of a job. I tried getting a job at a local ski resort at a job fair. Thousands, and thousands of people showed up just about. Of course I didn't stand a chance. But that resort is in the middle of nowhere, and the closest city doesn't have the greatest population standards either. But everyone is EXPECTED to be good employees, and good with customers. So telling me it's the area, I'm just not buying it.

Bad employees nowadays is not acceptable. Working in the real world, and trying to get a job in it has made me come to the harsh reality on just how much people should appreciate their jobs, no matter what it is.

Don't get me wrong though. I want to see the park succeed. That's why I voice my concerns, and I'm thinking about going again this year to see the improvements, because it really does excite me to see the park turning around. Who knows, maybe the issues we're talking about are already in the works to be fixed. I'm not even talking about the current employees entirely. I'm talking about what they used to be like, and from what I've experienced. But my point about nowadays bad employees isn't a valid excuse stands. No matter what the job.

I recall reading a thread posted on SFAFans that one of their administrators linked to TPR.

He basically wandered around the park taking before and after shots of the different areas of the park and noting the changes.

You could clearly see the changes that the park went through from the height of the Burke era to the present. Buildings that were left to rot in the early 2000s were repainted and upgraded. Paths were repaved and there were new planters placed throughout the park. Heck, the Hurricane Harbor area was literally transformed from a drab, dated looking waterpark to a nicely themed, brighter water play area (maybe even on par with the Busch parks).

If anyone has the time to find it, please post a link!

Here is the report you are referring.

Let's remember, SFA has a 97% guest satisfaction rating and has kept that rating the past couple of seasons. John Winkler and his management team has done an amazing job with this park the past couple of years and I think if you haven't visited this park since the new management team has been put in place then you haven't given them a chance.

The last major coaster for the park was a decade ago in June... and they have LOST one coaster along the way. This is NOT a good trend at all. Could SFA be turned back into a place of expansion? Sure. Easily. BUT- will SF do so? I'm highly doubtful at this point. Small, easily removed expansions, and 'renovations' to existing rides and calling them 'new' is NOT the way I'd continue to expand a park- for any reason.

I agree with pretty much everything you said in your post. The thing is, for the crowds SFA draws, it really is a HUGE park. In mid-summer how many rides actually draw a line, even with their terrible operations? From my experience, not many. I don't really see why they would invest in a new ride when they can't even fill their existing ones.

I haven't been there for 2 years, but I was amazed how nice and new looking the Wild One is. Mind Eraser could have used some fresh wheels and Superman could have used 2 trains, on a Monday, and Batwing was closed at first and Roar might have run that morning.

A new major ride would bring people to the park. But they would do well to wait to 2013 after BGW is done for a while.

^SFA doesnt really compete with BGW. 1) their on completely different levels and 2) BGW and SFA are about 4 hours away from each other. The majority of SFA's guests are locals and tourists of DC. The majority of BGW's guests are tourists of Williamsburg, VA Beach area.

SFA is in desperate need of a new major thrill. Something that will bring people back. So many people I know do not even think about going to SFA on a nice summer day anymore as everyone is simply bored with the park. Ive been riding those same 6 coasters all of my life, I just rather drive to Kings Dominion to get new thrills.

Also, if SFA really wanted people to come, they would advertise a lot better. I see almost 6 Kings Dominion commercials a day. "Fun & Only" "Ride-On Ride Warriors" haha, but I hardly ever see SFA commercials. And when I do, its a boring commercial that I cannot even remember right this moment.

^In mid summer on Saturdays, the park gets very crowded. Mind Eraser, Joker's Jinx, Batwing, and Superman all have long lines. (Batwing always has long lines any day of the week) The only coasters that do not pick up long lines are Wild One and Roar.

So many people I know do not even think about going to SFA on a nice summer day anymore as everyone is simply bored with the park.

Excuse, my good sir, but you appear to have disproven your own arguement.

^They don't necessarily contradict each other, he only mentioned his group of friends which live there. Tourists, other locals new to the area, etc still make the park crowded.

Plus I don't think his group of friends include the entire population.

^They don't necessarily contradict each other, he only mentioned his group of friends which live there. Tourists, other locals new to the area, etc still make the park crowded.

Plus I don't think his group of friends include the entire population.

I never said he contradicted himself, I was only pointing out, he was going on this rant about "No one will visit SFA until they get a new ride! They have the same 6 coasters, no one I know goes there!" and two posts previously he stated the park is very crowded during the summer time.

Clearly, SFA is doing something right if they "get really crowded on mid-summer days". Just because you don't enjoy a park doesn't necessarily mean;

SFA is in desperate need of a new major thrill. Something that will bring people back.

He stated himself they attract large crowds with their current ride collection.

^lol is it that serious? There was no rant, it was my opinion. I guess I offended you?

SFA does attract large crowds on SATURDAYS in the summer. They would be larger if SFA brought a new thrill into the park. As for the other 6 days of the week, the park most likely will be empty, unless its a holiday.

^SFA doesnt really compete with BGW. 1) their on completely different levels and 2) BGW and SFA are about 4 hours away from each other. The majority of SFA's guests are locals and tourists of DC. The majority of BGW's guests are tourists of Williamsburg, VA Beach area.

SFA is in desperate need of a new major thrill. Something that will bring people back. So many people I know do not even think about going to SFA on a nice summer day anymore as everyone is simply bored with the park. Ive been riding those same 6 coasters all of my life, I just rather drive to Kings Dominion to get new thrills.

To me, SFA does compete with BGW, they're both the same distance from KD. I bet BG management considers them competition. The reason their 6 doesn't add up to BGW's 4 is that Joker's Jinx lives in the pale shadow of Flight of Fear, and Batwing doesn't help. As it is, SFA does still offer some diversity when added to the 2 VA parks. ... I certainly ride rides at KD enough times and still enjoy them, although I'm not typical. But at KD you can mix it up, ride 6 one visit and 6 others another visit, etc.; I get bored easier at BGW and could at SFA.

SFA could continue to compete if they offered a ride more unique to the region, such as a hydraulic launch ride e.g. Ka or Storm Runner .. actually right in between, 96 MPH with a 306' spike, an Immelman and some twisties. Or a prefab woodie or Iron Horse, or just finally get their own B&M.

Also, if SFA really wanted people to come, they would advertise a lot better. I see almost 6 Kings Dominion commercials a day. "Fun & Only" "Ride-On Ride Warriors" haha, but I hardly ever see SFA commercials. And when I do, its a boring commercial that I cannot even remember right this moment.

1) SFA does compete with BGW, it's just that BGW competes with KD more despite being in different markets. Even then, all three parks can coexist with each other. You can say that SFA competes with KD, Hersheypark, and GAdv more though (in terms of large parks).

2) SFA needs a new thrill as much as SFGAm needs a new thrill. Both parks have gone on long enough and survived without a new thrill ride and both parks have gotten pretty nice investments in recent years. I'm pretty sure something slightly bigger than upgrading SBNO waterslides will come in the second anniversary year. Considering SFGAm is the most profitable park in the SF chain, it looks like SFA's following that strategy.

3) KD seems to be the only park that advertises in the Williamsburg area too. Even with Mach Tower coming, you never really see ads for BGW and the ads that do play (generally radio ads) don't mention anything about it.

I agree with pretty much everything you said in your post. The thing is, for the crowds SFA draws, it really is a HUGE park. In mid-summer how many rides actually draw a line, even with their terrible operations? From my experience, not many. I don't really see why they would invest in a new ride when they can't even fill their existing ones.

There's been a steady decline in attendance at the park over the past decade which could explain why rides aren't as full as they once were.Management should realize this and suggest putting in a few new rides(not rethemed ones passed off as "new") & see what happens,obviously KD is still drawing a crowd if any of you have been to the park lately,just this past weekend KD was extremely busy with lines for most rides well outside their queues.

CF at least does believe in adding a few new major rides to their smaller parks like WOF & even VF knowing that these additions will help grow attendance over the years,hence the reasoning why WOF has since gotten a rather nice invert & woodie over the past few years while SFA hasn't gotten anything "new" since 08 that turned out to be nothing more than yet another waterslide.

• 2 weeks later...

Fore those interested, SFA is having a contest via their FaceBook to name their new waterslides;

Allright folks here is how to submit a name for our "Name the Slides Contest" . Just update your status to read "I think Six Flags America should name one of their new Zoomazon Falls bodyslides ________________________________!" Make sure to @tag Six Flags America so we can see it! We'll track all the entries and post the top choices next Monday!

The top eight names will be invited to our opening ceremony... and the winners will be the first ones to go down the slide they named!

• 2 weeks later...

What are you doing next Wednesday (May 25th)? Want to have a free day at SFA? Want to get some ERT on some coasters? Want to be a part of SFA's advertising campaigns for the next few years?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=110669689020712

We are hosting a photo shoot for several of our rides & attractions. These photos will be used over the next years in our advertising campaigns & much more!

SO - we need extras! Come out and help us & enjoy some of our rides and attractions on a day when the park isn't open! We are looking for models of all ages and backgrounds, shapes and sizes with or without professional experience.

We do however, need you to RSVP to this event if you plan on coming so we have an accurate idea of how many folks we will have to help us!

We need you here for the entire duration of the event. As the park is NOT open, we will be gathering and collecting everyone in the morning, and working throughout the day. There will not be the abiity to come and go throughout the day. If you need to leave early, we can make arrangements within reason, but please arrive promptly in the morning. Rollercoaster photography will primarily happen in the afternoon.

To thank you for your participation, we will provide each person who joins us with a free ticket to come back & fully enjoy the park during any regular operating day during the summer season of 2011.

Here are some basic guidelines:

1) Be aware you will have to sign a photo release allowing us to use your likeness in the photos we are taking.

2) Minors must have a custodial parent/guardian on site to sign the waiver on the minor's behalf. Waivers are not available in advance.

3) Please wear brightly-colored clothing WITHOUT large logos, slogans or messages.

4) Please bring a couple different outfit choices to choose from, long sleeve and short sleeve options for instance. Outfits used will be determined by the staff, depending on the different locations & looks we will be working that day.

5) Lunch will be provided.

6) Please bring your swimsuit too, as we will be taking some photographs in Hurricane Harbor.

Hopefully this is true (I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but I think it's worth posting). From Screamscape:

2012 - New Attraction - Rumor - (5/24/11) I’m not sure how solid this rumor is, but I’ve heard it said that B&M may be in talks with Six Flags America about a future project. Earlier this year we did hear that the park was on the short-list of parks for consideration for a new coaster as early as 2012. Stay tuned.

^Ditto...it wood be nice to see something new (a ride) inside the park and not the waterpark for a change. I will keep my fingers crossed. It might give me a reason to go to the park more than once a season (to process my Six Flags Season Pass.)

^^ Doubt it considering SF is still on the cheap side when it comes to installing new rides. 2012 is still one of SF's anniversary years so chances are SFA will receive something, just not a B&M.

I can definitely see SFA getting a new thrill based flat ride/possible ride rehab as the most likely option for 2012.

In terms of new coasters, a new Eurofighter or Zac Spin seems like the most likely option.