Photo TR: Taiwan

Final Day on p. 7: E-DA Theme Park, HSR, and Taipei 101!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Photo TR: Taiwan

Postby milst1 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:59 am

Thanks for everyone's comments, and thanks johncenas for putting us on to page 7. Next (and probably final) update will hopefully come before or after the weekend. I know readership is lower on the weekends as everyone's going to the parks! Have fun! :b
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Midway State Park
Next Park: La Ronde
Final 2018 Park Count: 101
Running 2019 Park Count: 104

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby READYdot » Thu May 19, 2011 7:08 am

Hello!

I'm new here, but I'd like to thank you for this awesome TR. All those parks seem somewhat lost on the edge of the world, very few guests and the most unusual layouts I have ever seen, like that Moon Sea park. :lover:

Postby milst1 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:41 pm

As reported in these very pages of Theme Park Review back in January 2010 and thereafter, Taiwan's newest theme park just came online in the past year. E-DA Theme Park is in Kaohsiung, which is a large port city in South Taiwan. Cheryl and I headed there for the last day of our Taiwan theme park adventure. Thanks again to everyone who followed our trip report.
1.jpg
It was about a 2 hr 15 minute drive from the Janfusun Fancyworld hotel.
2.jpg
It's a massive complex with a theme park, mall, and hotels. It was also our first not-great weather day, unfortunately, so we were anxious to get the credits before any rain. We arrived very close to opening.
3.jpg
It took us a little while to find the actual theme park entrance. The complex is huge.
4.jpg
We finally found the ticketing area. But then we had to get lost again finding the actual park entrance.
5.jpg
We figure it out eventually and we make a bee-line for this baby.
6.jpg
Big Air turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip. I was secretly worried because I'd seen a recent story in the press about guests getting stuck on the thing.
7.jpg
But people were starting to line up and there was a crew there.
8.jpg
It's impressive to look at. The towers are just under 200 feet, according to Vekoma's website. And we enjoyed the ride. A catch car lifts the train forward up the far tower, then drops you, you coast backwards up to the top of the other tower, then forwards back down, and the catch car captures the train mid-way up the hill and lifts it up to the top again while it's heading back up. I give Vekoma credit for challenging themselves because the catch car system looks like an engineer's nightmare. And after being on so many coasters, it's not often that I actually get scared on a ride, and I was. The car catches the train while the train is moving at speed!
9.jpg
The Cyclops theming was cool too. The whole park has an ancient Greece theme, sort of.
10.jpg
This was right before they opened. We got on the second train. Alas, I was too much of a meathead to take any action photos.
11.jpg
Another theme park in Taiwan means another set of adorable looking characters. Notice the togas. The leader is the rhino, named Da-E. In the queues, they show cartoons of the characters, and many rides are incorporated into the cartoons. The cartoons are scatalogical, but cute.
12.jpg
In the cartoons, the characters all lived inside that Trojan Horse. You can see the rest of the park from here, sort of. Straight ahead is a large indoor section on many floors. To the left was a flume, to the right a splash battle, and on top of the indoor section was another credit.
13.jpg
Nice theming on the flume. Also a monorail but we didn't see it run.
14.jpg
Here's a shot of the splash battle.
15.jpg
Junior Roof Coaster is on the roof. It's a Fabbri Spinning Madness, which are unusual for the two-part lift hill. This one's spinning didn't lock and release like most spinning mouses, so we were not locked going up the lifts and the car turns on the lift, depending on the passenger weights.
16.jpg
I took a lot of pics waiting for this ride because it's not a people eater and the park had become more crowded.
17.jpg
For some reason they put the ferris wheel outside of the theme park area on the other side of the complex by the hotels. We never got over to that side.
18.jpg
These two other flats, Samba Tower and a swinger were also on the roof.
19.jpg
We had a decent lunch at Tokyo Prince, also on the rooftop level, but indoors.
20.jpg
Indoor were a ton of kiddy flats.
21.jpg
They have to be kiddy flats because the ceilings aren't really very high.
22.jpg
Taiwan Formosa is a major attraction, being a Soarin'/Over California ripoff. Vekoma built it. They were uptight about me taking pictures, but I think the seats are at the end of arms that extend into open space closer to the screen. The arm can then rotate right and left as you "fly". I mostly remember how derivative it was of Disney's rides (including fireworks at the end) and also how poor the movie screen image quality was.
23.jpg
Of course the host is Da-E, not Patrick Warburton.
24.jpg
Here's Taroko Gorge again, I think.
25.jpg
You get the idea. Did you know Disney actually scents the Soarin' rides?
26.jpg
Dark Ride was the final credit for us. You'll never guess what model.
27.jpg
Another Vekoma Junior!!!
28.jpg
This lift hill is the only part of the track that's visible.
29.jpg
We did not visit this walkthrough Haunted House, the line just looked insane and it wasn't moving. We had to return the car and catch a train.
30.jpg
And it had started to rain, which closed the outdoor rides (even the flume!). I did stop to photograph this Fabbri skyscraper. Isn't this the same model as the Tibidabo accident? Just wondering.
31.jpg
This appeared to be a driving range.
32.jpg
We also scored some nice merch. Thanks E-DA Theme Park!
33.jpg
Miraculously we made it here, to the Zuoying High Speed Rail terminal, once I figured out that the addresses of the terminal's car rental counter and the actual drop-off garage were not the same. The task of driving on city streets was not made any easier by the, literally, hundreds of scooters sharing the road with me.
34.jpg
We caught one of these babies back to Taipei. It goes the length of the island in about 96 minutes at 186 miles per hour.
35.jpg
First class was very civilized and not that much more expensive.
36.jpg
Cheryl's flight back to NYC was in the morning so after I saw her off at the airport, I headed into the city to visit Taipei 101.
37.jpg
In case you don't know, Taipei 101 was the tallest building in the world from 2004 until last year. It took the world's tallest title from the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and lost the title to the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.
38.jpg
Unfortunately the day was cloudy, but it's still an impressive experience. It also has the 2nd fastest elevators in the world, built by Toshiba, fully pressurized, costing $2.4million each.
39.jpg
This is the massive tuned mass damper at the top. It counteracts vibrations and swaying. Taipei 101 is designed to withstand both earthquakes and hurricanes.
40.jpg
Yes, there's a Subway in Taipei 101. The mall is humongous, and I spent nearly an hour just walking the food court!
41.jpg
Well, that's it for the Taiwan trip report. I encourage everyone to check it out, it's a cool place. Thanks for following!
Shameless Plug!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Lamoure » Mon May 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Great report, thank you for sharing !! :) :lover:
I really loved the vekoma BigAir pics, also found a video on youtube ;)!

The tibidabo flat was a different kind of ride,..(poorly I can't name it (The Pendulum)) it's a "Fabbri Booster Maxx" in your picture :)!
deadmau5

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:33 pm

This really makes me want to go to Taiwan! Thanks for sharing!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby READYdot » Tue May 24, 2011 4:30 am

Big Air looks somewhat boring, like a DéjaVu without the rollercoaster parts. But the lifting system should be the same... and as DéjaVus this one surely has to be down often.

Postby milst1 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:33 am

READYdot wrote:Big Air looks somewhat boring, like a DéjaVu without the rollercoaster parts. But the lifting system should be the same... and as DéjaVus this one surely has to be down often.

I understand the sentiment, but I've ridden a few Giant Boomerangs, and given that the Vekoma cobra roll always makes me want to barf, I found the Big Air to be far more enjoyable and fun. I guess time will tell whether the catch car system has been made any more reliable than in the past.
Shameless Plug!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby READYdot » Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 am

I'll tell you what I think of it when I get back from Madrid and their DejaVu "Stuntfall". It will be the first time I ride one of these. Hope it won't be down for maintenance... :airtimer:

Postby milst1 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:19 pm

READYdot wrote:I'll tell you what I think of it when I get back from Madrid and their DejaVu "Stuntfall". It will be the first time I ride one of these. Hope it won't be down for maintenance... :airtimer:

It was down when I visited Madrid...one of those credits I don't really mind missing. :)
Shameless Plug!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Lamoure » Tue May 24, 2011 4:56 pm

^I rode it, and it was waaaay more enjoyable than the SFMM Deja Vu !! ;) :lover:
deadmau5

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive