TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nürburgring launched coaster

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, I'd rather see them do it right the first time, rather than to open-close-open-close-open-close for a long time-open-and finally give up on the ride itself.

S&S has the equasion right, but I think this duration of testing is just right- when it DOES go for the record, it will be stunning, but as is said way too often- "Good things come to those who wait."

R. "Yes, I still have faith that even Flying Turns will open... someday" D.

• 1 month later...

bad news about this one: At tests of the ring-racer during a long distance racing championship it gave a third incident... Seems that there was a big bang and a 10 cm long metal part missed a person in the pit lane really narrow.

So no one was hurt, but its hard to believe that this big S&S piece of crap will ever open (i`ve read a rumor that the other new S&s launchers have problems, too!? Does someone know more?).

It is time to discuss what is more thrilling: to ride a S&S coaster or the chance to get killed during you take a ride on one or work nearby!?

Here is the original german newspaper article:

Nürburgring: Gefährlicher Zwischenfall bei Ring-Racer-Test

Nürburgring - Die Serie von Pannen bei der Achterbahn "Ring-Racer" am Nürburgring reißt nicht ab. Bei Sicherheitstests am "Ring-Racer" kam es während eines sogenannten kontrollierten Abschusses zu einem explosionsartigen Knall. Es wurden zwar keine Menschen verletzt - aber wohl nur aus Glück. Es hätte bei diesem gefährlichen Zwischenfall auch anders kommen können.

Ein etwa 10 Zentimeter langes Eisenteil soll bei dem Zwischenfall nur um wenige Zentimeter den Kopf eines Mechanikers des Teams Bonk-Motorsport in der Boxengasse verfehlt haben. Die Sicherheitstests liefen schließlich während des dritten Laufes der VLN-Langstreckenmeisterschaft ab - und damit wurden auch die Teilnehmer des VLN-Rennens einer potenziellen Gefahr ausgesetzt.

Im Herbst 2009 hatte es bei einer Testfahrt an der Startrampe der Achterbahn ebenfalls eine Explosion gegegeben, bei der sechs Arbeiter ein Knall-Trauma erlitten. Die Sicherheitstests wurden noch während des dritten Laufes der VLN-Langstreckenmeisterschaft wieder eingestellt, um keine weiteren Zwischenfälle zu riskieren. Sie sollen nach dem Rennen wieder aufgenommen werden. Im Juni sollte der "ring-Racer" eigentlich in Betrieb gehen.

source: http://www.rhein-zeitung.de/regionales/bad-neuenahr_artikel,-Nuerburgring-Knall-beendet-Test-am-Ring-Racer-_arid,248622.html

Edited by Kooky

^ the coaster shouldn`t drive with full speed through this element. it was planned to break the coaster down directly after the fast launch. But everytime they put a lot of work and money in it and then there is a new incident, this coaster is getting closer to end as a piece of crap that never will run.

Arhhh! Thanks for the explanation! And to me that's kinda fake advertising! So you are at the topspeed for some seconds?! Omg, just get rid of that piece of SHI*!

No, seriously, that's kinda lame! But, yeah still a shame! That it did not become fame, like it wanted to stay....

i agree completly... pull down this coaster. What i read the other new S&s coaster seems to have problems,too. Shouldn`t Extreme Rusher run since last year!?

Now i`m really looking at Shangri-La Snowfield in Happy Valley... If this has big problems too, i`m woundering how long S&S will survive with such a big number of defunctional coasters (even if their layouts look really intresting). Can´t imagine that this will be good for future sales of their coasters.

Its funny because you don't hear about Powder Keg having many problems, this might be limited to the bigger faster air launched coasters, but I agree if they keep this pattern up it may be the end of them, they do have quite a few other coasters and rides that are reliable though, they should just cut their losses and stick to the ones that work and work out all of the bugs with these newer coasters before selling anymore of them.

Did anyone care much about this one anyway? I mean... we were wanting it for "worlds fastest" but it never had a great layout like Rosa or anything... just looking at the videos I was thinking "that looks fast" but it just doesn't look like much fun besides the launch.

Its funny because you don't hear about Powder Keg having many problems, this might be limited to the bigger faster air launched coasters, but I agree if they keep this pattern up it may be the end of them, they do have quite a few other coasters and rides that are reliable though, they should just cut their losses and stick to the ones that work and work out all of the bugs with these newer coasters before selling anymore of them.

Actually PK has tons of problems, that's the only reason why more haven't been built I'm sure. It's always about a 50/50 chance that it'll be open all day on any given visit, in a park that's known for never having a ride down.

I find it absolutely astounding that parts are still flying off this thing when they're trying to run it... that's just unbelievable. S&S has always had a ton of potential, but if this keeps up any more that's going to slip away quick.

It seems odd that this ride is having such tremendous difficulty, particularly when the compressed air propulsion systems of the S&S drop towers seems so amazingly reliable. I fully realize that the launch systems for their coasters and drop towers are not the same, but S&S has made a name for themselves with compressed air as a power source. The engineering behind these types of systems should be nearly fail-safe in the modern world of computerized material stress analysis, and few companies out there would know more about how to do it than S&S. I do feel bad for those at the company and the track that are suffering through what must be a huge disappointment. Although I'm not one to believe in curses, this ride almost does seem cursed.

It's interesting that the article quoted states that tests will be resuming after the VLN championship currently taking place at the Nürburgring... and that the ride should be opening in July this year. Can you imagine either of these things happening after 3 explosions now? That surely has to be a really hard-sell to TüV (the German safety authority)!

I'm not sure how much of this can still be blamed on S&S

found a german article a while back link

Laut Stickel haben man sich nun von der verantwortlichen US-Firma getrennt und arbeiten jetzt mit Actemium aus dem Schwarzwald zusammen. Wir haben jetzt eine komplett neue Steuerung und eine von A bis Z neue Programmierung.“

basically it says that they are now working with a different (new) company and the guidance system has been replaced and completely re-programmed..

how much of this is true.. not sure..

But in the end.. the ride is still not open..

Edited by Hhappy

Should have built an Intamin......

This is kinda depressing news though, I always wanted the S&S air launched coasters to get more popular since they really do look awesome. Since Powder keg always gets such good reviews from everyone Ive always wondered why more parks didn't build more rides like it. Maybe the answer is that its a maintenance headache and not worth the investment.

there is a new newspaper article that relativize the incident to a normal test procedure for a failure in the launch in which the launch bolt hits the breaks... a Nürnburgring spokesman said that they had to test this, because sth. like this could happen in normal daily operations. They said the breaks have breaked the launch sled/bob normally which could affect in bang, so the safety test worked well. What the article mentioned is that it is not clear if this rumor about the metal thing that nearly hits a person is correct...Next week they will begin with more tests, so maybe everything worked correct!

Finally the spokesman said that nothing should delay the opening in june 2011.

Here is the original german article:

Achterbahn am Nürburgring: Knall war positiv für Ring-Racer

Nürburgring - Für den Knall, der am Samstagvormittag bei Sicherheitstests an der Hochgeschwindigkeits-Achterbahn am Nürburgring für Aufregung gesorgt hat (die RZ berichtete), gibt es laut Pressestelle der Nürburgring Automotive GmbH eine plausible Erklärung.

Auf dem Prüfstand: Die Achterbahn "RingRacer".

dpa/Archivbild

Ein solches Geräusch könne entstehen, wenn der Schlitten mit Ausnahme-Geschwindigkeit abgeschossen wird und dann in die Bremsvorrichtung schlägt, erklärt Pressesprecherin Stefanie Hohn.

Erfolgsmeldung: Bremsen haben gegriffen

Im normalen Betrieb wird der Ring-Racer einer solchen Beschleunigung nicht ausgesetzt sein. Es sei aber Teil der Sicherheitsprüfungen, auszutesten, was passiert, wenn stärkere Katapultkräfte wirken. "Das Ergebnis ist eigentlich eine Erfolgsmeldung. Alle Bremsen haben gegriffen", so Hohn.

Noch nicht geklärt ist, ob während des Knalls auch ein Eisenteil von der Achterbahn-Anlage abgesprengt wurde. Ein solches Stück soll den Kopf eines Mechanikers in der Boxengasse nur knapp verfehlt haben. Die Sicherheitstests sollen zum Ende der Woche wieder aufgenommen und in die Abendstunden verlegt werden. Momentan spricht laut Hohn nichts dagegen, dass der Ring-Racer, wie geplant, im Juni in Betrieb geht.

source: http://www.rhein-zeitung.de/regionales_artikel,-Ring-Racer-Start-im-Juni-_arid,249348.html

Well... I was amazed when I saw this guy for the first time on TV, having a coaster that could actually break Kingda Ka in terms of overall speed. Now, Formula Rossa is open and people don't care diddly squat about this thing anymore. It's a miracle that they're still trying to get this open (In my eyes), since they can't get the speed record anymore (Unless something absoutely horrible happens to FR).

Whatever happens to the project, Kingda Ka still won't be the fastest anymore, and hey... having the 2nd fastest coaster in the world could make you have a notable increase in thrill-seeking guests. If they get something positive for an outcome, which may or may not be likely, considering how much money was probably put into the coaster... than good for them. I personally think they should have stopped on this project a long time ago, and the frequent breakdowns have only seemed to point them in the right direction.

~Blatch

• 3 weeks later...

I was in an hotel not too far from the Nurburgring yesterday for work, and I noticed a Ringwerk flyer in the hotellobby. I was leaving the hotel at that moment for a nearby congress so didn't take the flyer with me, and this morning when checking out, I forgot to take one too.

But what struck me, was that as said in the above post, the opening is announced for this month AND what really struck me is the coaster speed of the coaster on the flyer : 160 kms/hour. I didn't really follow this thread in the last couple of months, but I didn't know that the topspeed was reduced.

I was in an hotel not too far from the Nurburgring yesterday for work, and I noticed a Ringwerk flyer in the hotellobby. I was leaving the hotel at that moment for a nearby congress so didn't take the flyer with me, and this morning when checking out, I forgot to take one too.

But what struck me, was that as said in the above post, the opening is announced for this month AND what really struck me is the coaster speed of the coaster on the flyer : 160 kms/hour. I didn't really follow this thread in the last couple of months, but I didn't know that the topspeed was reduced.

time for another update:

source

RingRacer is scheduled to open in June (this year) with a speed of 160km/hour. For the planned top-speed of 217 km/hour more testing is needed. Runs with this speed should be plausible from 2012..

time will tell if it will open this year ...