Photo TR: Taiwan

Final Day on p. 7: E-DA Theme Park, HSR, and Taipei 101!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Photo TR: Taiwan

Postby milst1 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Day 4: Finally, a day without driving! This was our experience at Janfusun Fancyworld. It's a very nice park in a beautiful setting.
1a.jpg
Whoops, this is the night park entrance again and it's closed and we have to walk around.
1b.jpg
Entrance to Janfusun Fancyworld. Notice the show advertisement. We didn't watch any shows, but were amused by the Wikipedia article about the park, which claims that there is a drag queen show. We didn't investigate this claim.
1c.jpg
The gates as seen from the parking area.
1d.jpg
It's KiKi!
1e.jpg
There's KiKi and KuKu and the whole gang, one of whom seems to be a plate. A plate mascot.
1f.jpg
Welcome. Security camera and spokesplate can be seen on the left side.
1g.jpg
More entrance plaza.
1h.jpg
Drat, non-working escalator.
1i.jpg
Spooky stuff happening. We are climbing the hill to get to the rides on the other side.
1j.jpg
Horrorwood is the walkthrough.
1k.jpg
Lots of nice landscaping for Horrorwood.
1l.jpg
Baby Ghostface!
1.jpg
Baby Dracula!
2.jpg
Le Petit Mort!
3.jpg
Lending a hand.
4.jpg
Baby Ju-On!
5.jpg
Great views from here. This is facing east, towards the mountains.
6.jpg
We finally crest the hill and make it over, only to find this piece of bad news.
7.jpg
The B&M Dive Machine is down.
8.jpg
I'm guessing that they'd just repainted this. There was no wheel wear on the paint.
9.jpg
It's closer to Oblivion than to Sheikra or Griffon.
10.jpg
View of the park facing west, towards the plain. Looks like they didn't repaint the railings.
11.jpg
There's the other B&M. Hopefully that one's not down too. That would suck.
12.jpg
Escalator down to the other side of the mountain.
13.jpg
Empty wave pool, ProSlide Tornado, and diving machine.
14.jpg
We've found the floorless coaster!
15.jpg
And it's open for business!
16.jpg
Some lift hill for the pervs.
17.jpg
Basically a walk-on at that hour.
18.jpg
A Chance Inverter and a Huss Frisbee
20.jpg
Huss Fly Away
21.jpg
Cheryl found the rotating sunflower ride to be quite pleasurable, though she did not wait for the cycle to end before getting off. This is how patrons get killed on rides.
22.jpg
But she may have gotten off for good reason: there was an alarming sound during the chair rotation "element".
23.jpg
Worth noting here that photo shops were all over the place, offering green screen photography that could then be customized.
24.jpg
Up, up, and away.
25.jpg
There's G5 and the waterpark. The hotel is on the other side of that hill.
26.jpg
Dirty windows, but there's Insane Speed, the floorless coaster. Kind of a unique layout.
27.jpg
And to the upper left is a part of the park that we're going to explore next. See the big building there? Worth noting that many of the parks we visited had this kind of giant indoor section with lots of flats and games.
28.jpg
Better view of the full layout of Insane Speed.
29.jpg
Full view of G5 Diving Machine.
30.jpg
S&S Turbo Drop and Space Shot, though only Turbo Drop side was open.
31.jpg
Swings...and I think this is the first time I noticed that flat in the right background. What's that?
32.jpg
Nice candy store, but only the bottom shelf looks vaguely familar.
33.jpg
Toy Workshop and refreshments!
34.jpg
Another one of these things that I still don't know the name of. English name was Super Swing.
35.jpg
We love drop towers.
36.jpg
You can call Cheryl "Drop Tower Junkie". This one was pretty high.
37.jpg
Largest ferris wheel in Taiwan.
38.jpg
We're gonna go check out the big building.
39.jpg
Kiddy Land!
40.jpg
The plate welcomes us.
41.jpg
Not quite the Fremont Street Experience, but interesting.
42.jpg
We've got a bunch of kiddy flats.
43.jpg
This was unusual: A *three*-tiered carousel. I've never seen one before. And the levels turned independently. One was going while another loaded. I didn't see them fire up the top level though.
44.jpg
We took a spin on the powered KuKu coaster.
45.jpg
It's a Zamperla.
46.jpg
This was the cuing area for the funhouse, but we were too big. Everyone there was either waiting for their cue or chalking their cues.
47.jpg
Kiddie theater.
48.jpg
I'm a plate!
49.jpg
The Janfusun Kiddy Land Mission Statement. I can just picture management: "We need a plate..."
50.jpg
Don't let the sign fool you.
51.jpg
It's not a Pexan train at all! For a moment I was worried! Train does a loop. We saw one of those toilet bowls in the waterpark and we got close enough to G5 to clearly see that it had recently been repainted.
52.jpg
We ran across a forlorn Top Spin.
53.jpg
Ah, the ride we saw earlier from the Ferris wheel is a Flic Flac.
54.jpg
Closer look at the Flic Flac.
55.jpg
Time to cool off!
56.jpg
This little flume had a dry lift hill, turnaround, and drop. It made me think of a mini-Mack SuperSplash. I want to ask Duane about the classification of such flumes.
58.jpg
Surpisingly high quality Disney wood art props in one store.
59.jpg
I wouldn't mind having one of these.
60.jpg
We're still in the park. It's a tea house.
61.jpg
And we found a refreshing break...where else but...
62.jpg
Of course! The Janfusun Coffee Museum! They build the culture credits right into the park.
63.jpg
Cheryl scored this nifty pizza in the coffee museum. Not bad for park food.
64.jpg
Sorry, we skipped the haunted walkthrough. There was a fairly huge queue inside.
65.jpg
The park started getting crowded as school groups began arriving.
66.jpg
Another bizarre culture credit was the Panda Classroom. Wtf?
67.jpg
We made some friends from the school!
68.jpg
We're tired. Thanks for visiting Janfusun Fancyworld with us! Next up: Formosan Aboriginal Cultural Village and Sun Moon Lake!
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Six Flags New England
Next Park: Somewhere in China
Final 2018 Park Count: 101
Running 2019 Park Count: 39

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue May 10, 2011 4:39 pm

I want this for my front yard.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:13 pm

I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue May 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Martin - I think the technical name of the ride you can't think of is Swing Around.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Jcoasters » Tue May 10, 2011 10:43 pm

That's sad about G5 :( Why do all the rides in Taiwan seem to be closed?? :?r

I'm a culture ho

Postby Noxegon » Tue May 10, 2011 11:05 pm

The parks are open all year round. As a result, rides have to be shut down for rehab from time to time. Martin was just slightly unfortunate in that a couple of the majors were down for his visit.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby milst1 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Today we visited another really cool park: Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village! It's in a beautiful mountainous area and adjoins the largest body of water in Taiwan, Sun Moon Lake. We found a great restaurant there after the park.

What's Formosa, you ask? In 1544, a Portuguese ship sighted the island and called it "Ilha Formosa", or "Beautiful Island".
1.jpg
We're back in the car, heading to FACV!
2.jpg
Scooters such as these are ubiquitous. In the big cities, there are giant seas of scooters, making it tricky to navigate the city streets.
3.jpg
The first thing you see is this train.
4.jpg
And that's where we are.
5.jpg
And the train's route is a circle around this this giant European garden.
6.jpg
Across the garden, beyond that stand of trees, we think we see the kind of things we're looking for. Actually, the big Intamin gyro drop was down.
7.jpg
It's a nice walk.
8.jpg
Up these steps.
9.jpg
Through this big pavillion and up some more steps.
10.jpg
And boom, you're in the park. This ride, Space Race, was down, so we weren't sure what it was.
11.jpg
Here's the layout. The whole park is on a rising valley between two mountain ridges. You can see the European garden at the very bottom, then you have the amusements area. There's a cable car (not operating when we visited) to the top of the mountain on the left. The face of the hill is full of little villages and displays showing aboriginese life and culture. At the top of the mountain is another cable car that takes you to Sun Moon Lake.
12.jpg
We're off to get the first credit, Mayan Adventure.
13.jpg
Mayan Adventure is a Vekoma Satanic Looping Coaster placed within simulated Chinese Mayan ruins.
14.jpg
The only interesting thing about it is that there are some parts that go into the ruins.
16.jpg
Otherwise, it was a very painful headbanger and I definitely took a shot to the chin. Remember to ride this one defensively.
17.jpg
The Mayan theming fits with the aboriginal museum next door, featuring artifacts of native peoples throughout history and the world.
18.jpg
Next is Caribbean Splash, a Mack SuperSplash.
19.jpg
There's a lot of good theming for this ride.
20.jpg
Excellent theming from the Mack factory! Are their production facilities also in Rust, near Europa Park?
21.jpg
It's a fine looking ride.
22.jpg
The park was empty enough so this was a walk-on.
23.jpg
We got pretty drenched on this one.
24.jpg
And we also took a pretty direct hit from the splash cannon. Sorry for the thumb.
25.jpg
You could walk behind it, which I don't think you can do this at the SeaWorld parks, can you?
26.jpg
This seemed like an unusual angle to me.
27.jpg
As did this.
28.jpg
As is the norm in the Taiwanese parks, we found a large indoor area, and this one had a credit.
29.jpg
Move over Disney! Here comes Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village!
30.jpg
This one is a Vekoma MK-700 Custom. There were flashing lights in the dark!
31.jpg
Another forlorn Top Spin. But I'm not sure if I've ever seen one indoors before.
32.jpg
Waikiki Wave was the name. And I don't think I've ever seen a single row before. Might not be a Huss? No clue.
33.jpg
Remarkably similar to its sister attraction in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee!
34.jpg
Good times.
35.jpg
Here's a good view of Mayan Adventure. You can see the sky ride to the top of the mountain, which was down, so we had to take a shuttle bus.
37.jpg
At the top of the mountain we were able to board the larger sky ride, the Sun Moon Lake Ropeway.
36.jpg
This one will take us over a larger ridge to Sun Moon Lake, the largest body of water within Taiwan.
38.jpg
Great views from here.
39.jpg
And there's the actual lake. The park entrance fee included the trip.
40.jpg
After the cable car round trip, we walked down the hillside through the Aboriginal Culture Village section. There are sections for each of Taiwan's indigenous tribes.
41.jpg
There are displays showing how the various tribes lived.
42.jpg
We watched some ceremonial dancing and singing. There was also a museum.
43.jpg
There were a bunch of life sized open air dioramas, like this nasty one showing a coming-of-age ritual...kill the monkey in the cage. Not cool.
44.jpg
Back down to park level, we found another well-themed flume.
45.jpg
Formosan Gold Mine, as it was called, had a section that ran through a restaurant we visited after riding. Here we see the monkeys taking their revenge.
46.jpg
No need for a queue product on a light day like this one.
46a.jpg
Overall, it was a very nice park, but we said our goodbyes and drove...
47.jpg
...to the 921 Earthquake Museum of Taiwan. Unfortunately, it was a bit late and they were closing down.
48.jpg
The 9/21/99 earthquake killed nearly 2,500 people and injured over 10,000, with an epicenter in a place unused to quakes, which are usually on the east coast.
49.jpg
The museum is at the site of a former school. Just look at what the quake did to the track! This is pretty incredible for us east coasters.
50.jpg
Our fault for arriving so late. Then we drove back to Sun Moon Lake.
51.jpg
Chiang Kai-Shek, the father of modern Taiwan, summered here at the lake. Now there's a resort on the grounds. This was his summer home, and many heads of state visited this "summer White House".
52.jpg
And we had an excellent dinner there at the Lalu resort. Thanks for following! Next up: EDA Theme Park!
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Six Flags New England
Next Park: Somewhere in China
Final 2018 Park Count: 101
Running 2019 Park Count: 39

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Pretty cool that they have a fast pass system there. Not a bad looking park.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue May 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Martin thanks for this and access to your Flicker album to get some additional photos and I already set-up the next park in the Park Index awaiting your next update.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Absimilliard » Tue May 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Pretty nice TR! You didn't miss much. Space Race was a generic Intamin motion simulator running a haunted mine movie last fall.

I did my whole trip to Taiwan last fall without renting a car and except for Farglory and Windows on China, managed to do all the major parks. The only ride down for rehab then was the Gyro Drop at Formosan Arborginal Village and G5 colors did look very faded, but was open with one train running. Mayan Adventure was actually pretty smooth then and didn't have any headbanging. Maybe it had just gotten a rehab? I am looking forward to your TR of E-DA World and if Half Pipe was running!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive