Universal Studios Singapore Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Re: Universal Studios Singapore Discussion Thread

Postby digimax » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:31 pm

I was at the park yesterday for a few hours but it was really too crowded to stay! Seems the latest promotion (20% off ticket prices when purchased with Mastercard) and possibly the situation in Japan has pulled in tourists from all over. Wait-times for popular rides such as Jurrasic Park Rapids and Battlestar Galactica hover over 105 mins. Even the high capacity Revenge of the Mummy had a long wait of around 70 minutes. Alas, the second loading/unloading platform is still not utilized and there's at least 4 empty cars parked there.

So here's some photos:
The Globe is now completely sealed up and er, there's huge posters of the Orlando globe for visitors to take photos with. There's a curious grey door that i'd want to investigate soon.

Rick O'Connell has arrived at Ancient Egypt, along with some other generic Egyptian characters (not photographed) which are not from The Mummy franchise.

Madagascar has the new information sign installed. Close up below:

Postby digimax » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:41 pm

Rather interesting info about the Madagascar ride from Screamscape:

The latest batch of information from Universal Singapore confirms that Madagascar should be opening in the very near future after months and months of delays. In fact, a few more interesting stories behind the lengthy delay were also passed on. As we had heard before the original boat designs were flawed as they did not work within the flume built for them. The boats (from Hafema) were too heavy, sunk too low in the water, and just were not able to navigate the lifts and hills.
Apparently new boats, in use now, were constructed by a different manufacturer. A new problem arose from them, as those boats would drop down a flume drop at one point in the ride (near the end I assume) and cause a sizable wave to move through the flume to the outside portion of the ride. The water would apparently splash out in all kinds of locations that were not intended to be wet ever, causing more problems.
As we had heard before, a few scenes construction into a second floor area of the ride were abandoned, forcing a rebuild of some of the existing scenes on the lower end to not only connect the flume, but to also attempt to re-tell the story correctly.

A sizable wave? Did they accidentally build a second JPRA in the park and not realize until it was too late? =)

Postby digimax » Fri May 06, 2011 7:27 am

Madagascar: A Crate Adventure will have its Annual Passholders' Preview Night on 13th May 2011. Here's the mailer that was sent to passholders:

The Hotel Inspector

Postby Erik_73 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:35 am

The only friday the 13th this year and USS is (soft)opening Madagascar??? Didn't this park have enough bad luck already?!?

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Sun May 08, 2011 11:45 am

It will interesting to see how exactly this ride turns out, seeing as how little of it we've seen so far...
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Postby digimax » Sun May 08, 2011 3:12 pm

The canvases have been removed for most parts of the queue area:

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Sun May 08, 2011 4:03 pm

The queue looks very well themed...

Now all it needs is people! :devil:
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby coasterguy4 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Wow, looks nice. Can't wait to finally see a Photo TR of it.
WCB 08.09.10.11.12

Postby digimax » Wed May 11, 2011 4:48 am

Photo of the Madagascar boat and water channel. Right behind is the exit path (gotta walk up and down to get out)

Postby digimax » Fri May 13, 2011 9:35 am

Madagascar: A Crate Adventure

Just came back from Annual Passholder's Preview. I have a POV video uploading right now. *SEE BELOW*

Some notables:

- Story is heavily based on the first Madagascar film. Essentially, it is a "Madagascar in 7 minutes" ride.

- There is no drop, or actual lift "hills". Two mini-hills however, one at loading/unloading, one in the middle (to make the boat move faster or stop it entirely) right before the segment that adds/removes boats to the ride.

- As there are no drops, it is not possible to get wet except by those props that spray water. And there are quite a few of those.

- Boats are loaded/unloaded in pairs, but there is a gap between each boat. The scenes are all timed to "animate" for individual boats.

- The motion of the boat is designed to feel as if it's a floating crate. There's a series of wheels (like 5-6 per side) hidden under the water surface to "bump" the walls along the water channel. Movement is entirely controlled by the water currents.

- The boat capacity is capped at 4 adults per row, with 5 rows per vehicle. There appears to be 20 boats (as observed from the numbering, but not sure how many are used at any time). Loading is efficient but unloading isn't, because there is a long lag-time to release the (rather redundant) lap bars. The way loading works: Split the standby-line into 2 queues, then further divide each queue into 5 rows, putting them into a holding area (that's right beside the actual boarding area).

- As to why the lap bars take longer time to release.. Well, the entire restraint system is manually locked/unlocked with a wench. Crew members would turn a key at the back of each boats to unlock/lock. So I believe the boats are built really simple with no electronic parts.

- The animatronics.. well. seemed rather disappointing, especially after what we've seen from Disney's Little Mermaid ride. There ARE some good ones but generally most of them seemed quite robotic or rather static. The only thing I like about them is there is a lot of detail to them, with fur and texture etc.

- Projection screens: There's four HUGE ones and it appears to be digital. Very sharp and vivid. There are smaller ones littered around the ride, all looking great so far.

- Fun Pass tier Annual Passholders were given some plastic garlands, a little lanyard card and Madagascar themed notepad. Free refreshments were also served throughout the night. All in all, the event was better planned than Battlestar Galactica. I will never forget the poor little drink stand that was placed outside BSG!

POV video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRpAdZa15fo
Last edited by digimax on Sat May 14, 2011 3:58 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!