TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

On pages 122, 124, 125 and 152 of "A Wild Ride", it mentions a giant wooden coaster for Morey's Piers being discussed by with the top three wood coaster designer/builders in the world. It will coast about $9,000,000, probably making it one of the most expensive seaside attractions ever built. The "Wildwoody" ("Wildwoody" being the working name while the actual name will be chosen in a pubic contest) will begin at Sufside pier and will quickly dive under the front of the pier and will cross over the beach in front of Sam's Pizza, by the way of a suspended bridge structure. It will be 100 feet tall and 3,500 feet long. The status of this ride in the Drawing Board chapter of the book, on page 152, is said to be "sooner or later". There is a picture of a model of the ride on page 125 and a computer-drawn layout on page 152. Sorry if this has already been posted.

-Raymond333

^I merged your topic with the already existing Morey's Piers Discussion thread. I assume you're referring to the GCI that was mentioned in this thread earlier?

Edited by cfc

• 4 months later...

http://www.moreyspiers.com/media-relations.php

For six nights in October, Morey’s Piers will transform Mariner’s Landing Pier, located at Schellenger Avenue and the Boardwalk, into a nightmare of epic proportions. The pier will be saturated with fog and filled with spooky decorations, roaming actors, eerie lighting and other startling surprises.

“This event has been ten grueling years in the making. We’ve been talking about it, having meetings and making plans; we just needed a centerpiece to justify something of this magnitude. The addition of Ghost Ship last summer provided us with the signature “fright feature” that we needed to launch Morey’s Fears,” said Jack Morey, Executive Vice President.

Morey’s Fears attractions are slated to include the Sea Serpent, SuperScooters, Tea Cups, Pirates of the Wildwoods, Rollie’s Coaster, Musik Express, Moby Dick and an especially horrifying Ghost Ship experience as the main act of the event. There will also be two frightening all-new Halloween attractions that will only be available during Morey’s Fears. Themed food and drinks will also be available.

“This event is being geared toward teens and adults looking for a terrifyingly good time,” said Dino Fazio, Director of Pier Operations. “It is not recommended for young children as it is being designed to be one of the most frightening Halloween attractions out there.”

This one-of-a-kind event will take place Friday and Saturday nights, October 14-15, 21-22 and 28-29 from 6:30-11:00 p.m. Morey’s Fears will be a gated event with a general admission price of $25. Season Pass Members can present their pass to save $10 off admission. Admission will include unlimited use of all attractions and access to Mariner’s Landing Pier. This event is not recommended for children under 8 years old.

For more information about Morey’s Fears, please check out http://www.moreyspiers.com for event updates.

Full_Moreys_FEARS_poster_2011.jpg.e6a8c0564047a1feface72d152068248.jpg

Moreys_Fears_logo_Lt_Background.thumb.jpg.e11db4df3ae6ce83fa560b0b3a3cadcd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be down in Wildwood in June visiting a friend, and I want to get all the coasters at Morey's. That being said, would you recommend buying individual tickets or an all day wristband? I would only be interested in re-riding the Great White, Nor Easter, and maybe Sea Serpent. Are there any flats that I should add to my itinerary? Thanks in advance.

Individual rides are expensive, the major coasters are over $7 per ride each and the smaller coasters are around $4.50 - $5.40 each and 1 ride on each of the 6 coasters is going to be around $35 - $38. I'd go with the wristband unless you don't have a lot of time. Atmosfear is a great drop tower and if you like log flumes, Morey's is my favorite after Splash Mountain. It's a very long flume with 2 drops and a small dark ride section.

Another article...

http://www.gadling.com/2011/05/05/moreys-piers-plans-a-massive-new-wooden-roller-coaster/

Morey's Piers plans a massive new wooden roller coaster

Morey's Piers, located in Wildwood, New Jersey, is planning on building a $10 million wooden roller coaster. The yet-to-be-named attraction will be so large that it will span two of the park's piers. Two names that the park's owners are considering are 'Wildwoody' and 'Boardwalk Flyer'. The new wooden coaster is rumored to be designed by Great Coasters International (GCI). They are the designers behind such world-class rides as Thunderhead at Dollywood and Lightning Racer at Hersheypark. The new ride is scheduled to open in 2013.

Morey's Piers is my favorite seaside amusement park as they already boast a fun wooden coaster in Great White and two steel looping roller coasters in the Great Nor'Easter and the Sea Serpent. I'll definitely be planning a trip back to Wildwood to check out the park and the new ride. NJ.com has more about Morey's Piers new roller coaster.

I love Morey's Piers great little park.

Is the pier the lift and station on the same as the pier with Nor Easter? I'm just trying to envision where this ride would go. I always felt like this park was the US version of Grona lund.

I love Morey's Piers great little park.

Is the pier the lift and station on the same as the pier with Nor Easter? I'm just trying to envision where this ride would go. I always felt like this park was the US version of Grona lund.

Yes. The station and lifthill would be where the giant slide was then dive under the boardwalk, up over a bridge to the other pier.

I'm so glad they're going ahead with this! And that I'm missing it by more than a year, so I'll be good and ready to go back.

I like the name "Boardwalk Flyer"; it has a very classic sound to it. "Wildwoody" is, erm...funny. I wasn't a fan of the old "Pier Pressure" suggestion, but I do like the play on words. I would like to call it "New Greater Great White".

So this coaster is finally going to happen? Awesome! I've been drooling over the concept art since day one!

I agree with others; Wildwoody sounds kind of gaudy. Boardwalk Flyer does indeed have that classic sound to it and, to me at least, connotes that timeless feel of summertime at the boardwalk. I suppose, if anything, it pays homage to the John Allen/PTC Flyer that came down in the 1980s.

Whatever the name, I'm looking forward to it!

They took down the giant slide and moved Dante's Dungeon to make way for the new coaster. It will go from the pier with the Nor Easter on it, to the pier where the Golden Nugget used to be.

I like Boardwalk Flyer. It pays homage to the old Hunt's Pier Flyer, maybe it's corny but I like it. Part of this coaster looks like it's going to go where the old Flyer stood.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/history/1960_1970/img/hunts_pier.jpg

I'm so very much looking forward to the new coaster opening. It's been 15 years since Great White opened. This new ride looks wonderful, and you can't go wrong with GCI.

But I'm holding out hope for 2012. Speaking about the new 'it' ride this year, and this is from the horse's mouth...

A few summers ago, the Moreys decided they needed to pep up Surfside Pier, their property at 26th Street and the boardwalk. The place has a "personality" that Morey says leans toward "seaside carnival, you know, sort of still wanting to be tacky and proud of it."

He started to formulate ideas for the new long-armed attraction.

He wanted it loud, with bright lights. He wanted it tall. (The ride's moving parts swing and hurl riders six stories into the air.) And he wanted it to have a relatively small footprint to preserve space for an $11 million wooden rollercoaster coming to the park next summer, Morey said.

Link to the article:

http://articles.philly.com/2011-05-10/news/29528413_1_jack-morey-attraction-lap-bar

• 3 weeks later...

According to an article on MSN, an 11 year-old girl fell from the Ferris Wheel and died. Not many details available yet.

WILDWOOD, N.J. — A young girl on a school trip died Friday after falling about 100 feet from a moving Ferris wheel at New Jersey's Wildwood boardwalk.

The 11-year-old fell about 12:30 p.m. and was brought by helicopter to a nearby hospital, where she died, Capt. Lynn Frane of the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office said.

Police say Abiah Jones of Pleasantville was with her classmates from Pleasant Tech Academy when she fell from the ride at 12:30 p.m.

She fell from the upper half of the ride while it was in motion, Wildwood Police Capt. Robert Regalbuto told The Press of Atlantic City. Regalbuto estimated the height was about 100 feet.

The Ferris wheel is among rides at Morey's Mariner's Landing Pier. The newspaper reported the popular amusement park was heavily attended by children during the pier's annual Education Extravaganza — a day the park is open and marketed for school students and teachers.

There was no sign that it was an intentional jump or horseplay, according to NBC 10 in Philadelphia. Police described it as a freak accident.

Morey's said in a statement the cause was being investigated.

Both Morey's and police said the problem did not appear to be mechanical. Police took photographs of various passenger carts on the Ferris wheel, part of which was covered in white sheets, and were looking for witnesses to the fall.

Meanwhile, the Ferris wheel and a few others were closed, while the rest of the sprawling park remained open.

Morey said in the statement, "The Morey staff and family offer our thoughts and prayers to the family."

The wheel, 156 feet tall, is one of the largest Ferris wheels on the East Coast.

MSN Article

Edited by ernierocker

That Wheel is a Vekoma (same type that's at Kentucky Kingdom, navy Pier and Darien Lake) There is no way you can fall out of it as you have to either climb over the bars, or open and unlatch the doors.

Not to speculate, but I wonder if it may be ruled as a suicide due to peer pressure, kids can get mean at age 11.

Not to speculate, but I wonder if it may be ruled as a suicide due to peer pressure, kids can get mean at age 11.

"There was no sign that it was an intentional jump or horseplay, according to NBC 10 in Philadelphia. Police described it as a freak accident."

"There was no sign that it was an intentional jump or horseplay, according to NBC 10 in Philadelphia. Police described it as a freak accident."

Morey's released that there was no mechanical problems found. I visit Morey's annually and you really have to try to get out of that ride if you wanted to but, at the same time it is possible, just like any ferris wheel.