Photo TR: Divv's Mid-American Adventure

VALLEYFAIR!: Page 10!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Controlled by a sentient spreadsheet...

Photo TR: Divv's Mid-American Adventure

Postby Divv3k » Sun May 01, 2011 1:40 pm

I know this is MONTHS later than is usually acceptable for posting a TR but I figured at least a few of you are actually interested in seeing the TR I said I’d do for the Mid-America trip. My plan is to have all my trip reports up to date before I head to Japan in June. We’ll see if I make it… As with all other most post TRs on TPR lots of comments are encouraged and appreciated if for no other reason than it lets new updates appear on new a page which helps keeps things neater in my weird OCD world. Thanks!

I’ll start off by saying the Middle-America trip was AMAZING, though you probably knew that already it really is worth stressing! I travelled to a lot of these parks on my first TPR trip in 2007 which made for a stunning comparison as it showed to me how much TPR trips have evolved over the years. How Elissa and Robb really do everything they can to make sure the trip is so good is astounding. If you’ve never been on one of these trips before you really need to get yourself on one. They really do become the best few weeks of your year. Every year!

UPDATES:
Day 1 - ARRIVAL (Below)
Day 2 - ADVENTURELAND
Days 2 & 3 - WORLDS OF FUN
Day 4 - SILVER DOLLAR CITY
Day 5 - GATEWAY ARCH & CITY MUSEUM
Day 6 - SIX FLAGS ST LOUIS
Day 7 - HOLIDAY WORLD
Day 8 - INDIANA BEACH
Day 9 - SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA
Day 10 - IT'S ALL ABOUT BRYAN!!!
Day 11 - VALLEYFAIR

DAY ONE:
ARRIVAL

Due to work commitments I didn’t arrive as early as the majority of the group. Actually I’m fairly certain I was the last one to arrive. My late arrival meant that I wasn’t able to take advantage of the early arrival park which was the Park at Mall of America. Luckily I visited there in 2007 so it wasn’t a disaster for me. It would have been nice to hit the Euro-fighter but I’m not upset about it. I guess I’m just not the credit whore I used to be.

Even without a park for me to visit day one was fantastic! Day one of TPR trips are always a big deal for me now as it tends to be the first time in at least a year that I get to see a lot of these friends I’ve made of the years. Just as exciting as meeting old friends is how generous they all are when it comes to feeding my snack addiction with the International Snack Trade! That’s right, once again my friends from all over presented me with many different Doritos of many different nationalities to boost the Dorito credit count to over 50! Thanks everyone!

On top of all that we had a brilliant welcome dinner at Buca di Beppo and an absolutely CRAZY encounter with the legend that is Leslie Hall! I’ll let the photos tell the rest of the story!
image001.jpg
A big plane in Heathrow must mean that it’s time for another TPR trip! 10 hours is a long time to travel but it’s worth it when your first stop when you arrive is…
image002.jpg
BUCA DI BEPPO! This was my first Buca experience!
image003.jpg
Made even better by getting catch up with old friends like the Roachman!
image004.jpg
As well as catching up with all those old friends I had to put up with bloody TPDave again!
image005.jpg
TPDave loves having his hand underneath two big meaty balls.
image006.jpg
Doesn’t that cheesecake just look amazing? It was so good that there wasn’t enough to go around and sadly Russ didn’t get any.
image007.jpg
Not wanting his vertically challenged friend to be disappointed, TPDave set about reducing Russ’s disappointment from missing out on the cheesecake by using some actual cheese and sauce from the main course.
image008.jpg
Looks delish!
image009.jpg
Russ LOVED it!!!
image010.jpg
It doesn’t get more serious than the Pope Room!
image011.jpg
Once we got to the hotel the 2010 International Snack Exchange begun! Also known as Divv’s excuse to get everyone to bring him Doritos from all over the world! Thanks to everyone who supplied me with Doritos this year! I’m up to sixty different flavours from around the world now!
image012.jpg
As if things couldn’t get more exciting than copious amounts of Doritos! Leslie Hall decided to get in on the action!
image013.jpg
Pictures cannot capture the hilarity of this night!
image014.jpg
Just like any night on a TPR trip really…
image015.jpg
What a crazy start to TPR’s Mid-America trip!

More bigger updates to come! Up next, an actual park – Iowa’s Adventureland!
Last edited by Divv3k on Mon May 30, 2011 11:11 am.

Wee Sweaty Bifkin

Re: Photo TR: Divv's Mid-American Adventure

Postby cobra_roll06 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Awesome start Divv!

Sounds like it was an incredible night. Leslie Hall should be a part of every TPR trip!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun May 01, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm trying to figure out a way to incorporate Buca and Leslie Hall into all future TPR Trips.

Dammit, now I'm hungry!!!

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Sun May 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Divv, I know I'm not one to shy away from cameras, but there are a few too many TPPhotos in this TR...

Cool report nonetheless, can't wait to relive the awesomeness! I'm waiting for one evening's instalment in articular (and it had better include video!!)

Dave

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Sun May 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Yay, I'm so excited for your trip report Divv! It was great finally getting to meet you and I had a blast hanging with you at almost every park!

Can't wait to see more :b

-Jake/Texas

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby milst1 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:45 pm

+1 Awesome!
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Midway State Park
Next Park: La Ronde
Final 2018 Park Count: 101
Running 2019 Park Count: 104

Postby Divv3k » Mon May 02, 2011 3:23 am

TPDave wrote:Divv, I know I'm not one to shy away from cameras, but there are a few too many TPPhotos in this TR...

Cool report nonetheless, can't wait to relive the awesomeness! I'm waiting for one evening's instalment in articular (and it had better include video!!)

Dave

Fret not, TPFriend you shan't be disappointed. Plenty more TPPhotos to come!

Thanks guys!

ADVENTURELAND

Postby Divv3k » Mon May 02, 2011 2:32 pm

DAY TWO:
ADVENTURELAND (Not the place from the movie)

The first park of the trip (at least from my point of view) was Adventureland in Iowa. This was a new place for me and really a place I hadn’t heard a whole lot about so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. In actuality I was very impressed with this park. It certainly is a place filled with charm and to me seemed to show off the local flavour of Middle-America, maybe I’m wrong but that’s the impression I got.

Adventureland has a few coasters, the most unique of them being the Underground. The Underground as the name might imply is an underground rollercoaster, an underground woodie to be precise. Pretty damn cool and pretty unique!

The other two woodies were pretty good for what they were, Outlaw has certainly held up a lot better over the years than a few similar coasters at other parks.

Just be sure to brace yourself on The Dragon! Ouch! That thing is deadly!

One of the themes you might have noticed from other TRs is that there was a lot of food consumed on this trip and certainly a lot of unique contraptions. Adventureland pretty much sealed its approval in my mind when Elissa informed me that the park offered a taco mixed in with a bag of Doritos! Really! The “Travelling Taco” became a must for me and it sure delivered!
image001.jpg
Good morning from my first park of the trip – Adventureland!
image002.jpg
I can’t quite put my finger on it but there’s something a bit familiar about this place…
image003.jpg
Wahay! Time to actually ride something!
image004.jpg
Lou’s a bit disturbed by the Iowa locals…
image005.jpg
Although they're still better looking than the locals in the Scottish parks!
image006.jpg
All the big brands have set up shop in Adventureland!
image007.jpg
While other places have ponies, or parrots... we have dragons.
image008.jpg
Eats its victims... burns its victims... buries its victims, chokes its victims, turns its victims inside-out...
image009.jpg
Chuck is actually the star of the upcoming movie sequel How To Train Your Wagon.
image010.jpg
Adventureland has a very RCT looking park map.
image011.jpg
Thorpe Park got jealous when they saw this photo and just had to have one of these rides.
image012.jpg
I thought I recognised that lack of sleeves! Hi Larry!
image013.jpg
That’s right, Adventureland has a ride named after the hit NBC show, Outlaw!
image014.jpg
OMG, it’s Larry’s long lost son!
image015.jpg
Don’t worry, they’re all as tall as the line.
image016.jpg
Outlaw was fun. A bit of a surprise really!
image017.jpg
It's definitely one of the CCIs that has held up better over the years.
image018.jpg
Russ JUST made it onto Tornado.
image019.jpg
That’s right this ride is named for a whole host of SyFY movie tie-ins.
image020.jpg
This coaster was actually alright as well. The wood coasters at Adventureland were all pretty rideable.
image021.jpg
Gotta love the RCT style bacon shop.
image022.jpg
We’re special, so special…
image023.jpg
The rapids at Adventureland is the first rapids in the world to feature Blue WKD instead of water.
image024.jpg
Make sure TPDave doesn't drink it!
image025.jpg
At the Skeeball parlour things started to get VERY serious!
image026.jpg
Lou’s been trying for ages to get that monkey off her back.
image027.jpg
Expression number 2 is getting pretty worn out by now.
image028.jpg
Early doors on the trip and I'm not yet used to the heat. I almost considered riding this thing just to get a little shade!
image029.jpg
CAUTION: Overlord at work!
image030.jpg
Here’s Larry completely failing at winning birthday toys for Jon.
image031.jpg
This is the park’s shot tower. I forget what it’s called but it’s okay because Larry got a photo of the ride sign.
image032.jpg
See!
image033.jpg
Carousel! Pretty!
image034.jpg
Now for the greatest place in the whole of Adventureland – Taco Villa! Why is it so amazing?
image035.jpg
Because they’ll give you a taco in a bag of Doritos!!! Amazing!
image036.jpg
TPDave can’t believe he’s not getting in on the questionable food action.
image037.jpg
That’s it from Advenutreland. A really nice park that really gives you a feel for what Middle America is all about. A great way to get the ball rolling on this trip!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby MrMorgan » Mon May 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Hurray for an Adventureland Photo TR! I grew up in Minnesota and had been to this park a few times in the late 80's, (before Outlaw and Underground). I seem to remember the rapids ride being really rough. Is it still like that? Was the Dragon really head-bangy? I just remember it being really intense.
Thanks for the update!

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Mon May 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Great update Divv! I forgot that Jon's birthday was that early on in the trip, I remember it being a few days in.

That was the best value skeeball ever, I played a few times and won once or twice, very reasonable. I think Larry did the lion's share of the winning though, probably making up for embarasing himself in Finland a couple of years ago...

Morgan, I don't remember specifically what was wrong with the Dragon, I think it was mostly just PAIN. Apart from that, a really nice park with some cool attractions and just a generally nice feel to the place :)

Dave

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive