Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

P. 807: Tigris track installation now complete!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT, BGA) Discussion Thread

Postby paiging_jen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:38 pm

^^If I had a 20 second wait on Sheikra's brakes I would be ecstatic. I'll probably be there Sunday...I'll check it out. But I'm not holding my breath that this weekend will be any different from the last 5 or 6 times I've been this year.

^Just made Sunday a definite for me!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby dragonskeep » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:30 pm

I am going to see Iron Maiden on Sunday in Tampa so I will stop by and hopefully see it run. Good chance to check out Ramp Jam.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has sent us a press release regarding the testing of Cheetah Hunt starting tomorrow.

This weekend, Busch Gardens’ Design & Engineering team will officially launch Florida’s first triple-launch coaster for the first time. But, the park warns, guests hoping to catch a glimpse of the testing in progress shouldn’t expect Cheetah Hunt to be up to full speed quite yet.

The process, which kicks off Saturday morning, begins by testing each launch point over and over again at partial power with both empty trains and cars loaded with “water dummies” that simulate the weight of human passengers.

After each launch, the train will be pulled back into position and launched again. Crews will start with the first launch point, which propels the train out of the station house; by weekend’s end, they plan to have moved on to the second launch point. At full power, launch point No. 2 will send trains up the 102-foot Windcatcher Tower. Trains testing at partial power, however, will not make it to the top of the tower.

Early next week, this phase of testing will wrap up with the third launch point – located just past the canyon in the northern end Cheetah Hunt’s footprint. Soon after, trains will start making complete circuits around the track’s 4429-foot run.

But how soon will actual people replace the water dummies? “We will run more than 3,000 cycles of the ride before we put humans on it,” says Mark Rose, Busch Gardens’ Vice President of Design & Engineering. When the time comes, Rose will be one of the first people to ride.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Inukaza » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:05 am

Wonderful news, I'm getting my Passport for the park renewed, so I'll be able to post regular updates on construction again. (Like I was doing March of last year :) )

I'm also heading over Sunday, most likely. Hard to imagine how much has changed since I last went last year. New Gwazi Trains, few new shows, Cheetah Hunt testing. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!
Baby, I'm howlin' for you.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:45 am

I never thought about how, having three launches, they'd have to power each one up slowly! I remember watching the Discovery documentary on Kingda Ka and seeing how slowly they built that launch up - this'll be fun to watch!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Racing for the sky

Postby coasterlover420 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:47 am

Gerstlauer1 wrote:OMFG that guy checking seatbelts at 0:35 Looks like it's speeded up! :D

It really doesn't take long to maker sure a restraint won't open and a seatbelt is buckled

coasterfreak101 wrote:I never thought about how, having three launches, they'd have to power each one up slowly! I remember watching the Discovery documentary on Kingda Ka and seeing how slowly they built that launch up - this'll be fun to watch!

That was a completely different system, though. It needed to be slowly set up because the parts needed to be worn in before they could begin to function normally. As far as LIMs go, that isn't really the case. It's more to make sure that they don't over heat and to get each of the launches timed. Especially since there are 3 launches, it might be pretty difficult to regulate speed in/out of each launch aside from the first one. Especially with changing variables such as weight.
~Signature~

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Gerstlauer1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:52 am

It really doesn't take long to maker sure a restraint won't open and a seatbelt is buckled

I know, but it still looked fast!

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:17 pm

coasterlover420 wrote:It really doesn't take long to maker sure a restraint won't open and a seatbelt is buckled

Hence why it's REALLY pathetic when you see how slow some crews move, especially with B&M coasters (not including flyers).

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Saldek » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Skycoastin Steve wrote: This wasn't even their best dispatch time, as they were getting the train out of the station as the one before it was hitting the splashdown on a regular basis.

You're right. On busy days they usually have at least one person working each row. This video of yours only shows two checking the restraints.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:01 pm

coasterlover420 wrote:
coasterfreak101 wrote:I never thought about how, having three launches, they'd have to power each one up slowly! I remember watching the Discovery documentary on Kingda Ka and seeing how slowly they built that launch up - this'll be fun to watch!

That was a completely different system, though. It needed to be slowly set up because the parts needed to be worn in before they could begin to function normally. As far as LIMs go, that isn't really the case. It's more to make sure that they don't over heat and to get each of the launches timed. Especially since there are 3 launches, it might be pretty difficult to regulate speed in/out of each launch aside from the first one. Especially with changing variables such as weight.

I'm aware that they're different systems, I was just relating the fact that both begin testing at lower speeds and building their way up. And that, regardless, it's fun to watch that process take place.
Last edited by coasterfreak101 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:39 am.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!