Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 324: V.I.PASSHOLDER Perks in January announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Re: Magic Kingdom Fantasyland Expansion

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:39 am

jarmor wrote:So are they building this off site like universal did with WWHP's amazing castle or is that actually a shot of the progress they have done on the construction site?

The pic is as the castle stands in the park. Its being "assembled" (I haven't seen frequent enough photos to notice, but it looks pre-built) But the photo makes it look huge! Its really smaller then that, haha.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby coastermaniac » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:29 pm

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:The pic is as the castle stands in the park. Its being "assembled" (I haven't seen frequent enough photos to notice, but it looks pre-built) But the photo makes it look huge! Its really smaller then that, haha.

So roughly how big is it then?

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:23 pm

This is how big it is:
IMG_2547.jpg
Photo from Orlando Park Hopper Mice Chat

IMG_2541.jpg
Photo from Orlando Park Hopper Mice Chat

It is a forced perspective so I cant tell its real size without something next to it. But it looks maybe 8-10 ft tall? Your guess is as good as mine.

Link to the original post.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:31 pm.

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:58 am

For those that are still interested, here is a video of the construction of the castle. It give a better perspective with a worker on the bridge, and also shows how its being assembled.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:59 am

Member "Photoflight" has several more aerial shots posted on his site from the end of March.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby beyondthepalace » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:34 am

Saw the new castle construction while at MK yesterday and IMHO the forced perspective is pretty weak. Maybe it will look better once the whole thing is completed.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:30 am

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/04/beast-castle-behind-the-scenes-with-walt-disney-imagineers/

Today, we’re happy to present a backstage look at the creation of Beast castle at Magic Kingdom Park, a huge milestone in the Fantasyland expansion.

In response to Monday’s post, many of you asked how tall the new castle is, or if it would even distract from the view of Cinderella Castle (this shot was taken from the queue at Dumbo the Flying Elephant). Well, the next few photos should put your mind at ease. As you can see, Beast’s castle actually uses forced perspective architecture to make the structure look more grandiose in size than it appears in reality.

Forced perspective works as sort of an optical illusion, tricking the eye into believing a structure is much larger or taller than it really is. This is done by manipulating the size and scale of a building, based on the perspective it will be viewed from.

The company’s use of forced perspective started with Walt Disney during the construction of Disneyland park in California. At that time, Walt paid special attention to the scale of each building, as well as the specific shrubs and trees that flanked them in order to create the best sense of height and drama.

As you can see in this comparison between the artist rendering and the current construction, the castle sits high atop what will be the Be Our Guest Restaurant, which is really the gateway to the castle’s interior. Here, the restaurant will offer quick-service lunches and table-service dinners inside the Beast’s elegant ballroom, gallery and eerie “west-wing.” The construction to the far left will become Maurice’s Cottage.

Word on the street is that WDI is preparing a video tour of the area for our Disney Parks Blog readers. More to come on this next week.
tee596423LARGE.jpg
sid697532LARGE.jpg
qwe597423LARGE.jpg
css596753LARGE.jpg
uit697743SMALL.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby KDcoasterMAN » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:38 am

I guess disney looked across the street and said, "nope... can't beat that!" :lol:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:55 am

Still bigger than Disneyland's castle? ;)

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:45 pm

I dunno...it still looks like a very small castle in the last picture...I guess everything has to be finish before that perspective can be fully forced...
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!