TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gardaland / Raptor

So, I'm nearing the end of my year in Italy, but was waiting for Raptor to open before I went to Gardaland.

I'll start off with Raptor, as that's probably the only thing anyone is interested in, then I'll do the rest of the park...

Firstly, I'll start off with the major problem I have with this ride.

The seatbelts.

OK, I'm not exactly a size zero, but I had to take my wallet out of my pocket in order for the seatbelt to do up, even though the restraint was locked comfortably. The seats and restraints are great, sort of like air, where there is a seperate bit that moulds to you.

However, the seatbelts are only about 5cm long and are not adjustable. When you combine this with the fact that the restraints (like Colossus) head straight for the tops your legs, I saw several people who I wouldn't class as fat having to do the walk of shame simply because they had chunky thys/big hips. More annoyingly, I saw a couple of old men with big beer bellies coming off the ride fine simply because they had skinny legs.

Is there a reason for this? Why should such a major ride with large, comfortable seats that could accomodate even the largest of people, and lock safely, eliminate so many people because it doesn't have a bloody seat belt that you can adjust a couple of inches?

I really hope they learn from this, and the one at Thorpe is different, because in the UK especially I can see tons of people not being able to get on it, let alone in the states. Anybody who is planning on going here and feels like they need to lose a bit of weight, start now, as you may be in for a shock! It's for sure given me a kick up the arse, being that close to being rejected from a major coaster really worried me.

Anyway, apart from that, i'll give my review of the ride, followed by photos.

So,

It's pretty dull. It was walk on all day and I only rode it twice (front and back, inside and outside). The back is better, as you actually get a *bit* of a drop, but to be honest, it never feels like you're going above 30mph because there is such a drag on the huge trains. It honestly feels like you're going a constant speed throughout the entire ride, apart from the first drop in the very back.

Regarding roughness, I thought it was fine. It was slightly bouncy, but not like on rides such as Baco that give you a headache, more of a gentle bounce. It kind of feels like there's suspension or something. Plus, with the restraints, even if roughness does develop there won't be any headbanging at least.

That's really all there is to say really. It's quite meh, but at least it's pretty smooth and an 'easy' ride. I didn't find it very fun, because I felt that I was always expecting some sort of acceleration or something, but (especially at the front) you just feel like you're dragging the burden of the rest of the train around with you the whole time.

However, the GP seemed to like it, and it's a good addition for the park blah blah.

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask.

Photos:

1.jpg.74d839123895d7eea6891aeb013f15aa.jpg

2.jpg.1ba571cf23a95bc32095f4956445cd20.jpg

3.jpg.bac3b5f4956a35fd090a1aad5586ab58.jpg

Messed up...

4.jpg.a43d872c59a5d0f0043a83937dae936c.jpg

5.jpg.2f9c22eb9039319fd3f6b9226fb708ed.jpg

6.jpg.8fb6502ad2e9f4390dbff3d956bd4899.jpg

7.jpg.6f87b822ed008f9859aca3e5280742fc.jpg

8.jpg.c32829703c6e413724e9d3c2f8094aee.jpg

9.jpg.8830811f51e92c1553173e8970aaed28.jpg

10.jpg.3b9702db7fe053547861e1f06542f0fb.jpg

11.jpg.f071c79a3652eaffc47e63adbab84ef7.jpg

12.jpg.888077f9778fbf9555af476c45fa45c2.jpg

13.jpg.c9a8ae49309ba38018f2a4b3a724848f.jpg

14.jpg.9a2e54a64abfdb62c4a66613a4475558.jpg

15.jpg.1659e12f5a1a9df0ce2f32c543331f21.jpg

So yep, that's it. I'll post the rest of the park later, just thought I'd get this up ASAP .

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this. It does not surprise me that a seasoned rider would think it's kind of "dull" as I've sort of come to expect that out of B&Ms lately. They are GREAT for the GP (general public), but not as impressive to some of us who have been on the worlds best attractions.

I will say that I think the ride probably fits the park well, and Gardaland really NEEDED something like this, even if it's not going to wow the pants off most of us. The theming does look good in the pictures, does it look as good in person?

A bummer to hear about the tight seatbelts, though. That makes no sense. Especially when I've seen gianormous gargantuan people fit into rides like Tatsu!

Yeah, usually B&Ms are quite fat friendly. It'll be interesting after there's been a big trip there to see how many enthusiasts get rejected, seeing as we're quite a rotund community .

As for the theming, there isn't REALLY that much. Apart from the structures around the last twist, and the jurassic-esque fencing and entrance, there's not much else. What's there is nicely done though! I didn't really notice the near misses as much as I thought I would... they look better from an offride perspective.

That's worrying. Yes, B&M's are usually 'fat friendly' and with the amount of obese people in the UK I'm slightly worried about LC12. Hopefully B&M will sort that issue out so that future wing-rider models will accommodate enough space for the obese.

I think you're in the minority of those who find Raptor dull because the majority of reviews I've read state that Raptor is a very fun ride. Most of us knew that Raptor would be a fun ride and more 'Air' like rather than fast, intense and forceful to be honest.

It seems like some of us... rounder... individuals are having trouble with the newer B&Ms, which seems opposite of what I've come to expect from them. Myself, I'm not the skinniest of people out there, and have always had a larger backside (I like to tell myself I was built to play football or wrestle ), and was a little surprised that I was Walk of Shamed on Diamondback two summers ago (the lapbar got 2 clicks, but apparently it needs 3...?). Hopefully this doesn't become a growing theme with the newer B&M rides, as that would be severely disappointing.

Nevertheless, great review and great pictures.

I'm no expert, but i'm pretty sure changing just the seatbelts will eliminate (well, reduce) the problem. The restraints have 'unlimited' clicks, so are locked safely as long as you physically fit in the seat. But, if the belt doesn't reach then obviously they can't let you ride. Having longer belts that you can adjust (like on most other rides) should solve this. Hopefully . Obviously there's always a cut off point with really large people, but I feel that the cut off point on Raptor isn't very fair.

That coaster looks cool, and I think it's a good thing that this new concept for B&M wasn't taken extreme (eg. 100+ ft. drop, 4-6 inversions, 60mph, etc.). That barrel roll (picture 4) looks really new and askew... Has B&M ever gone this loose on their coasters?

Cool pictures of the ride BTW.

I will say that I think the ride probably fits the park well, and Gardaland really NEEDED something like this, even if it's not going to wow the pants off most of us.

I haven't been to Gardaland but from what i've seen your right they did need something like this. With the reviews of the ride I am now asking myself does a park like Thorpe really need a ride like this that could end up being very meh when complete?

-Craig

Thanks for the GREAT TP and pics Schwarzkopf. I've been following Raptor for months and thought (like you) the ride might be a little "soft" for die hard enthusiasts like ourselves. It still looks like a really fun ride and can't wait to check it out next year (hopefully).

In any event, living in the states, I've only been on X and REALLY curious how Raptor's ride experience compares to FB. It's clear Raptor's theming is second to none (including FB) and understand Raptor only goes 55 MPH to FB's 83 MPH according to RCDB, so speed certainly has to be considered as well.

The reason I'm asking for more details is because I LOVE the 4D concept (on paper), but X really wasn't a fun (rerideable) ride for me and curious how Intamin and B&M have developed their own concepts. I LOVE extreme rides, but hate getting off them with a headache from extreme head banging. Any additional "color" about the two rides would be greatly appreciated.

And again, thanks for the GREAT pictures and ride comments.

B&M has been getting stricter on guest size. Intimidator at Carowinds has TIGHT seats compared with Nitro/Apollo, etc. As much as I hate to hear it, I assumed that's what Raptor would be like.

Great review! I hope I'll be able to fit, because I have somewhat large legs. I've fit on other B&Ms with no problem, but the short belts may cause some trouble. It's good to know that it's not as exciting as it looks; I wasn't expecting a super-intense-blackout-machine, but I guess a 'constant speed of 30 MPH' doesn't even get it into any class of intensity.

Even so, I still think it looks and sounds alright, and I'm glad Gardaland managed to get another unique ride to put it on the map!

I had a feeling that the ride experience on this would be pretty "meh". The theming looks incredible and Im sure adds a lot to the attraction's overall appeal but the layout looked pretty boring to me from the get go. Most of the recent 200+ foot tall B&M's have been "meh" so one that is barley over 100 feet I didn't think had much of a chance. Still think it looks like a fun ride and a great addition, just not like something that is going to be a top 5 coaster on the list of any real coater enthusiasts.

On a side note I think a highly themed, high capacity, with a fairly gentle layout, and very reliable steel coaster like this from B&M could fit in really well at a Disney park if utilized properly. Theme the trains differently and use some more of the really cool theming and it could really work at say I don't know on of their parks that has a lot of space and could really use a few more signature attractions cough cough Animal Kingdom cough cough. Theme it to a Dragon or a bird or a flying dinosaur or a freaking hippo on acid for all I care. This would be cool at Animal Kingdom.

Theme it to a Dragon or a bird or a flying dinosaur or a freaking hippo on acid for all I care. This would be cool at Animal Kingdom.

I freaking love the Hippo on Acid theme idea...can you imagine......

I haven't been to Gardaland but from what i've seen your right they did need something like this. With the reviews of the ride I am now asking myself does a park like Thorpe really need a ride like this that could end up being very meh when complete?

-Craig

I still wish that this is the first step prototype for the next one at Thorpe. I don´t want to believe, that this is the final new concept B&M wants to sell, I more look forward in a X2 Version by B&M Or did they confirm that Thorpe gets this sort of Trains?

Don´t want to say that this coaster doesn´t interest me and I´m really looking forward to ride it in September!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the Photo TR!

OK - Rest of the park.

My camera battery was playing up so I didn't take that many, but Raptor was the main focus of the day, of course.

From the nearby station there's a free shuttle bus to the park, yay!

It was quite empty.

Firstly we did Raptor, which had a 5 minute wait (one train). See previous page!

After that we did the SLC, Blue Tornado:

It was well presented, but of course it's just an SLC. It did have the extra helix though

I found it very rough. Not the worst, but far from the best.

We then did the Mine Train, Mammut, which was fab <3. Although, we had to wait 10 minutes because they only had one train running, which is silly for such a long ride (3 lift hills), but I guess they didn't need the capacity.

You can't really get any photos of it because of the theming, but it's hugggeee.

Then we had some lunch, and proceeded to the other 'cred corner':

I'm not ashamed to admit that I like Vekoma loopscrews. The ones I've ridden have always been fairly smooth, with this one in paticular having fab restraints that made headbanging impossible!

It was walk on, and like I just said, it was fairly decent.

I was quite excited about the Screamin' Squirrel, not because I thought it was going to be good, but because it's so strange.

It wasn't as uncomfortable as I was expecting, paticularly the hang time, which wasn't as bad as I expected. I really don't understand why they crammed it in where it is, possibly because of it's height? It's not like the park don't have any space...

But yeah, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't exactly good. Some of it was rough (the bit where you go back up hill slightly), which is an achievement of S&S I must say!

The Log Flume was nice... not much else to say really.

The park is gorge <3

As we were in the Area, we did the kiddie cred (which I neglected to take photos of) and the girls rode the Top Spin, which I bag ladied for because they're vile.

I think after that we did the shooting dark ride and the walk through, both of which were decent. I had no idea they had either of these!

The drop tower was fabulous, even though it's tiny. I was suprised by the willy lift, but it might just be because I haven't done a drop tower for ages.

I <3 Flying Islands

A non-park view:

This made us venture over to the other water SECTION:

The rapids were fab, but Fuga had died, was testing, but didn't open again. Gutted, it looks fab and it's SUCH a cred too

When they finally spited it and turned the water off, we minced into the kiddie section to the fab excessive tree:

I'm glad the girls forced me in, as there's an actual Vekoma madhouse inside! Well, underneath it, but make sure you check it out.

Then we did Raptor again, and left.

Oh, and is this real coaster track?

So, all in all Gardaland is a great, well-rounded park with something for everyone, and great theming (paticularly on the water rides), however they're lacking in the coaster department. Most of them are clones, and obviously Raptor could be better, but without Raptor it's a VERY weak line up, so it was a good addition in that respect.

Nice pics. The ride does look a little tame.

Thorpe's ride will be a lot bigger, with a much more thrilling first drop and huge zero-g roll.

Similar situation to when Air opened - then out-thrilled by the Superman's etc.

I'll keep in mind that Raptor isn't universally loved. But I still love the theming, especially the headchopper elements! Besides, I'm weird and totally love some of the bigger rides that aren't known for being particularly fast or intense.

Gardaland looks like an amazing park! But now that it has X-Raptor, I should pay a visit sometime in the near future. I am not sure why Sequoia Adventure was stuck between the corkscrews, but I guess they wanted to make that area of the park more alive? No idea.

I do have a question though... How is one suppose to get into the Observation tower? The "stick" holding it looks really small.

I'll keep in mind that Raptor isn't universally loved. But I still love the theming, especially the headchopper elements! Besides, I'm weird and totally love some of the bigger rides that aren't known for being particularly fast or intense.

Same, it looks fairly enjoyable to me, definitely looking forward to checking it/variants out - preferably before they get to the spinning seats stage, as that will be too intense for me.

^ The 'stick' acts as an arm, moving the 'UFO' bit down to ground level to load, then back up for the observation bit - hence why it's called a 'flying island'. If someone knows I got that explanation entirely wrong, please tell me!