Gardaland / Raptor

Photo TR
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Gardaland / Raptor

Postby Schwarzkopf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:53 pm

So, I'm nearing the end of my year in Italy, but was waiting for Raptor to open before I went to Gardaland.

I'll start off with Raptor, as that's probably the only thing anyone is interested in, then I'll do the rest of the park...

Firstly, I'll start off with the major problem I have with this ride.

The seatbelts.

OK, I'm not exactly a size zero, but I had to take my wallet out of my pocket in order for the seatbelt to do up, even though the restraint was locked comfortably. The seats and restraints are great, sort of like air, where there is a seperate bit that moulds to you.

However, the seatbelts are only about 5cm long and are not adjustable. When you combine this with the fact that the restraints (like Colossus) head straight for the tops your legs, I saw several people who I wouldn't class as fat having to do the walk of shame simply because they had chunky thys/big hips. More annoyingly, I saw a couple of old men with big beer bellies coming off the ride fine simply because they had skinny legs.

Is there a reason for this? Why should such a major ride with large, comfortable seats that could accomodate even the largest of people, and lock safely, eliminate so many people because it doesn't have a bloody seat belt that you can adjust a couple of inches?

I really hope they learn from this, and the one at Thorpe is different, because in the UK especially I can see tons of people not being able to get on it, let alone in the states. Anybody who is planning on going here and feels like they need to lose a bit of weight, start now, as you may be in for a shock! It's for sure given me a kick up the arse, being that close to being rejected from a major coaster really worried me.

Anyway, apart from that, i'll give my review of the ride, followed by photos.

So,

It's pretty dull. It was walk on all day and I only rode it twice (front and back, inside and outside). The back is better, as you actually get a *bit* of a drop, but to be honest, it never feels like you're going above 30mph because there is such a drag on the huge trains. It honestly feels like you're going a constant speed throughout the entire ride, apart from the first drop in the very back.

Regarding roughness, I thought it was fine. It was slightly bouncy, but not like on rides such as Baco that give you a headache, more of a gentle bounce. It kind of feels like there's suspension or something. Plus, with the restraints, even if roughness does develop there won't be any headbanging at least.

That's really all there is to say really. It's quite meh, but at least it's pretty smooth and an 'easy' ride. I didn't find it very fun, because I felt that I was always expecting some sort of acceleration or something, but (especially at the front) you just feel like you're dragging the burden of the rest of the train around with you the whole time.

However, the GP seemed to like it, and it's a good addition for the park blah blah.

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask.

Photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Messed up...

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

So yep, that's it. I'll post the rest of the park later, just thought I'd get this up ASAP :).
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:14 pm.

Site Admin

Re: Gardaland / Raptor

Postby SharkTums » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks for the review. I feel that's EXACTLY what I'll think of the ride as well once I get on it. Shame about a lot of people not fitting, seems odd for sure.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:52 pm

Thanks for posting this. It does not surprise me that a seasoned rider would think it's kind of "dull" as I've sort of come to expect that out of B&Ms lately. They are GREAT for the GP (general public), but not as impressive to some of us who have been on the worlds best attractions.

I will say that I think the ride probably fits the park well, and Gardaland really NEEDED something like this, even if it's not going to wow the pants off most of us. The theming does look good in the pictures, does it look as good in person?

A bummer to hear about the tight seatbelts, though. That makes no sense. Especially when I've seen gianormous gargantuan people fit into rides like Tatsu!

Postby Schwarzkopf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Yeah, usually B&Ms are quite fat friendly. It'll be interesting after there's been a big trip there to see how many enthusiasts get rejected, seeing as we're quite a rotund community :).

As for the theming, there isn't REALLY that much. Apart from the structures around the last twist, and the jurassic-esque fencing and entrance, there's not much else. What's there is nicely done though! I didn't really notice the near misses as much as I thought I would... they look better from an offride perspective.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby Rollercoaster5000 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:45 pm

That's worrying. Yes, B&M's are usually 'fat friendly' and with the amount of obese people in the UK I'm slightly worried about LC12. Hopefully B&M will sort that issue out so that future wing-rider models will accommodate enough space for the obese.

I think you're in the minority of those who find Raptor dull because the majority of reviews I've read state that Raptor is a very fun ride. Most of us knew that Raptor would be a fun ride and more 'Air' like rather than fast, intense and forceful to be honest.
:)

Neil Peart makes me erect

Postby DiSab » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:04 pm

It seems like some of us... rounder... individuals are having trouble with the newer B&Ms, which seems opposite of what I've come to expect from them. Myself, I'm not the skinniest of people out there, and have always had a larger backside (I like to tell myself I was built to play football or wrestle :lmao: ), and was a little surprised that I was Walk of Shamed on Diamondback two summers ago (the lapbar got 2 clicks, but apparently it needs 3...?). Hopefully this doesn't become a growing theme with the newer B&M rides, as that would be severely disappointing.

Nevertheless, great review and great pictures. =)

Postby Schwarzkopf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm no expert, but i'm pretty sure changing just the seatbelts will eliminate (well, reduce) the problem. The restraints have 'unlimited' clicks, so are locked safely as long as you physically fit in the seat. But, if the belt doesn't reach then obviously they can't let you ride. Having longer belts that you can adjust (like on most other rides) should solve this. Hopefully :). Obviously there's always a cut off point with really large people, but I feel that the cut off point on Raptor isn't very fair.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:15 pm

That coaster looks cool, and I think it's a good thing that this new concept for B&M wasn't taken extreme (eg. 100+ ft. drop, 4-6 inversions, 60mph, etc.). That barrel roll (picture 4) looks really new and askew... Has B&M ever gone this loose on their coasters?

Cool pictures of the ride BTW.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Postby Schwarzkopf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:20 pm

^ I'm guessing it's because of the trains. Conventional heartlining won't work because the trains are so wide, so it's better to do more of an Inline Twist. It's the same on Baco.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby StealthFan » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:32 pm

robbalvey wrote:
I will say that I think the ride probably fits the park well, and Gardaland really NEEDED something like this, even if it's not going to wow the pants off most of us.

I haven't been to Gardaland but from what i've seen your right they did need something like this. With the reviews of the ride I am now asking myself does a park like Thorpe really need a ride like this that could end up being very meh when complete?

-Craig

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!