TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ But that would look kind of strange. My guess would be a dark blue or green

Well that didnt stop them from painting carowinds stand up coaster the exact same colors of their intimidator lol...

I am pretty partial to the original colors more so than some gaudy day-glo flourescent scheme....

Compliments of Shane's Amusement Attic

The original color scheme was great. I barely remember it and when I saw pictures of the old colors after being used to the new ones I remembered how much I liked them.

I am pretty partial to the original colors more so than some gaudy day-glo flourescent scheme....

Compliments of Shane's Amusement Attic

The original color scheme was great. I barely remember it and when I saw pictures of the old colors after being used to the new ones I remembered how much I liked them.

When I saw the colors in 2000 I was like ughh!!! so anything other than that would definitely be an improvement.

I put a similar post in the BGW thread, but my wife and I will be in the Williamsburg area over spring break. Planning on going to KD for 1 or 2 days, depending on weather. Thinking the best strategy for the 1 or 2-day flexibility and cheapest price is to get one VIP Season Pass and then use the $25.00 Bring a Friend Discount for the other admission.

According to the single day ticket page, the online discount is $15.00 and the online price is $42.99. That puts the regular price at $57.99, and the Bring a Friend Discount price to $32.99+tax, right?

1-day would be $89.99 + $32.99 = ~$123

2-day would be $89.99 + $32.99 + $32.99 = ~$156

Anyone have a better strategy?

^ There are a few I can think of. You should be able to find discounted tickets at places for 35 dollars. That will total up to 140.

If you plan on arriving late, like after 4 pm the first day. The park used to sell full priced tickets where you get in the next day for free. Not sure they still do that. 120 for that option.

After the season starts, you could check ebay or some online sites like that. A few years ago I sold 4 kd tickets on ebay and I think they went for 40 dollars.

I hope this might help you out.

^ There are a few I can think of. You should be able to find discounted tickets at places for 35 dollars. That will total up to 140.

If you plan on arriving late, like after 4 pm the first day. The park used to sell full priced tickets where you get in the next day for free. Not sure they still do that. 120 for that option.

After the season starts, you could check ebay or some online sites like that. A few years ago I sold 4 kd tickets on ebay and I think they went for 40 dollars.

I hope this might help you out.

Thanks for the feedback.

The problem with $35 tickets is that it's an extra stop and no free parking, so that'd be $140 + $20 for parking, so ~$160.

The park is only open until 6 PM on the days I'm going, so after 4 PM tickets isn't really an option.

Thanks for the suggestion to check eBay. I'll take a look.

They never really said it was inferior, they just want us to think that Sky Rocket deserved more votes than it got. I think they're on crack personally because if you picked Sky Rocket over the fastest coaster in the world, a giga coaster and a B&M megacoaster then you're insane.

^^Many people take themselves too seriously. I'm glad that I305 won as it's my favorite of the two, but would it have ruined my life if it hadn't? Hardly.

^I'm looking forward to riding Sky Rocket some day.

In all these polls that are done, I really think they are just a great grouping of rides, but what is "best" for one person may be "worst" for another. It's all a matter of perception I belive so most of these polls, while interesting, are on the same level of any awards show like the Oscars or something...it's all a matter of personal preference.

A lot of people bash Maverick, and although its not amazing, it's still in my personal top 3. I hope this year to get out to KD and experience I305 to see what it fits for me.

A coaster isn't the best just cause its the tallest, fastest, longest, etc...a great coaster is one that you get off of and instantly want to get back in line for again, if it just so happens to be the tallest or the fastest or the longest then I consider that a bonus. Just my two cents.

i'm glad i305 won -- it's my favorite ride, after all. but doing anonymous internet polls to decide award winners (of any kind) has got to stop. there are several reasons it's a bad idea. for one thing, it inevitably leads to the kind of petty bickering we saw during this poll, plus who can manage to get the most people to press a button the most times is hardly a valid determiner of a ride's quality.

besides, anonymous internet polls are just far too easy to subvert. if i were so inclined, i could have written a script in half an hour that could stuff the ballot box at a semi-random pace of my choosing by rotating IPs (or generating fake cookies, or whatever -- don't care enough to reverse engineer about.com's poll code, but the point is it'd be simple). for all i know, someone on one side or the other may have done just that.

anyway, in the future, i'd like to see sites abandon these kinds of polls as determiners of any kind of award. there are lots of better options:

- have a committee of people with informed opinions come to consensus or vote.

- have a poll of registered users only, as opposed to anonymous browsers.

- just pick a winner and go with it.

although on the other hand, i suppose about.com got what they wanted -- tens of thousands more page impressions than they would have received without the random, anonymous, meaningless poll. oh well, all in good fun.

^ There is absolutely nothing wrong with the poll. Quit your bitching. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these types of "readers choice" polls on various subjects done all the time. Not every poll can be Mitch Hawker's poll or the oscars.

Here's an idea...if you don't like a certain poll...don't participate in it.

There. Done. Over.

They never really said it was inferior, they just want us to think that Sky Rocket deserved more votes than it got. I think they're on crack personally because if you picked Sky Rocket over the fastest coaster in the world, a giga coaster and a B&M megacoaster then you're insane.

Agreed, but Sky Rocket was still a VERY good coaster.