TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

^It looks like I stand corrected if that comment appears on GCIs website.

At the first Rumblefest the question was asked and the GCI spokesman was emphatic in saying MFs would only run on GCIs.

Edited by larrygator

I know the Cyclone is a classic and many say it should not be touched, but I would love to see Zamperla bring GCI on board to re-track this coaster and give it a set of millenium flyers.

With as hard as the Cyclone hits the bottom of the drops, I can't imagine how far down those Millennium Flyer restraints would ratchet down into riders' guts. And if GCII made those drops more parabolic, it wouldn't be the Cyclone.

I guess the purist in me thinks they should re track it only and not touch the trains other then maybe keeping the current rolling stock going. Four bench trains are not that used it seems anymore and (to me) new trains would kill part of the historicness to the coaster. I hope to get up to Coney Island within a couple years.

• 1 month later...

http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2011/mar/08/coney-island-mainstays-stick-around-one-more-summer/

Seven Coney Island boardwalk businesses that faced eviction will stick around for at least one more summer.

The seaside mainstays -- including the venerated Ruby's Bar & Grill -- hashed out a deal late Monday night to extend their leases until November 2011. The so-called Coney Island Eight have been fighting eviction from their new landlord, Zamperla USA.

The eighth business, Shoot the Freak, plans to move elsewhere on the boardwalk after it was bulldozed to clear a path for a new entrance to the park.

"It's like art," said Anthony Berlingeri, owner of Shoot the Freak and Beer Island. "When someone looks at a picture, everyone has a different interpretation of it. And when you look at Coney Island, people have different visions too."

Berlingeri said he remained optimistic about the developer's "vision of the boardwalk."

Last year, the Bloomberg Administration selected Central Amusement International to plan the redevelopment of Coney Island's amusement park. In a statement, the developer's president, Valerio Ferrari, said the deal with the seven businesses was not part of the vision for this season, but is a "viable plan" to keep the boardwalk active.

Berlingeri hopes that the Coney Island Eight will be able to "work together" with the new developer and participate in planning the future of the amusement park.

In addition to Ruby's, the other boardwalk businesses staying through this summer are Kris Gregs, Beer House, Cha Cha's, Gyro Corner, Beer Island, Coney Island Souvenirs and Paul's Daughter.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/135434/new-coney-island-park-builds-rides--seeks-workers

From NY1 News - Progress is moving along with Scream Zone.

New Coney Island Park Builds Rides, Seeks Workers

The hammers are pounding and the drills are punching as construction crews erect Coney Island's newest roller coaster, the Soaring Eagle. So far, 1,200 feet of track have been installed and workers are racing to put up another 1,200 feet or so.

Opening day for a new amusement park, Scream Zone, is just five weeks away.

"The next five weeks, we're going to be very, very busy," said Valerio Ferrari, the president of Zamperla Inc.

Two rides are already on the Stillwell Avenue site, the coaster and the Zenobio, which spins in full circles.

Two more will complete the park, the human Sling Shot and the Steeplechase coaster. Italian amusement ride manufacturer Zamperla expects to ship those last two by the end of the month.

"We're going to receive 26 containers from Italy for the Steeplechase. So that'll be hard work to unload the container, just alone that," said Ferrari.

Scream Zone will have five entrances, including one on the famed boardwalk. When complete, riders will glide on the Soaring Eagle, daredevils will spin on the Zenobio, brave souls will be catapulted on the Sling Shot and amusement goers will take a historic ride back in time on the Steeplechase.

Coney Island fans who have been checking on the progress say they are excited.

"I've been in Coney Island since I was a teenager and this new project, I love it man. I wish I could go ride it right now," said Maurice Francis, a fan.

"I think it's great for Coney Island. I think it's a rebirth. I really think it's going to be great summer," said Eric Kowalsky, another fan.

Since opening Luna Park last year, Zamperla has quickly expanded its presence in the area. It will now operate the landmark Cyclone roller coaster, oversee all of the boardwalk concessions and open a new restaurant on the corner of Surf Avenue and West 10th Street called Cyclone Cafe.

http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2011/mar/08/coney-island-mainstays-stick-around-one-more-summer/

Seven Coney Island boardwalk businesses that faced eviction will stick around for at least one more summer.

The seaside mainstays -- including the venerated Ruby's Bar & Grill -- hashed out a deal late Monday night to extend their leases until November 2011. The so-called Coney Island Eight have been fighting eviction from their new landlord, Zamperla USA.

The eighth business, Shoot the Freak, plans to move elsewhere on the boardwalk after it was bulldozed to clear a path for a new entrance to the park.

"It's like art," said Anthony Berlingeri, owner of Shoot the Freak and Beer Island. "When someone looks at a picture, everyone has a different interpretation of it. And when you look at Coney Island, people have different visions too."

Berlingeri said he remained optimistic about the developer's "vision of the boardwalk."

Last year, the Bloomberg Administration selected Central Amusement International to plan the redevelopment of Coney Island's amusement park. In a statement, the developer's president, Valerio Ferrari, said the deal with the seven businesses was not part of the vision for this season, but is a "viable plan" to keep the boardwalk active.

Berlingeri hopes that the Coney Island Eight will be able to "work together" with the new developer and participate in planning the future of the amusement park.

In addition to Ruby's, the other boardwalk businesses staying through this summer are Kris Gregs, Beer House, Cha Cha's, Gyro Corner, Beer Island, Coney Island Souvenirs and Paul's Daughter.

Nice to see they got something done at least for now. Hopefully they can work something out long term.

• 4 weeks later...

From Screamscape:

According to this news article, near the bottom, they talk about how there is an interesting stipulation in the proposals to find a new long term operator for the Coney Island Cyclone. Apparently one requirement is that the company selected to take over the operations of the ride is to supply the ride with new coaster trains as well, replacing the Cyclone’s old rolling stock.

Go here for more information: www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/clickety_lack_WEdMDKKJaK4katMZhFguPK

I deciced to take a detour on the way home from softball practice to get some pictures of Scream Zone's construction on opening day of The Cyclone and Luna Park. Well I actually stopped by because I had coupons for 99 cent hot dogs at Nathan's, but no need to quibble on details.

Of course the sky got dark right as I arrived and the rain started 20 minutes later, so I'm sorry about the quality of the pictures.

PICT0016.JPG.bde23776c6fd0a1258f0217bf1127b51.JPG

The Cyclone is being run by Zamperla/Central Amusements now. It is not included in the price of an all day wristband and you now have to put credits on to a card to pay. I think the days of negotiating with the ride ops for discounted re-rides are over. I didn't ride this check this out, just my best guess.

PICT0001.JPG.106f1e972f2bacf7c53dd13c79015454.JPG

Here's the view heading from Nathan's towards the boardwalk.

PICT0002.JPG.11dcd2f84367da77c097f1d9337da1e1.JPG

Scream Zone is getting closer.

PICT0003.JPG.a338190b7962b628c7668a8389a53a32.JPG

Track work on Soarin Eagle appears to be complete.

PICT0007.JPG.48e4f512c3f11b8ffee018a9badffb4f.JPG

with one stripped down rat cage of doom on the track.

PICT0009.JPG.605df98532a1084f89a0a16716a6582f.JPG

Still some work to do on Steeplechase Horses Coaster.

PICT0011.JPG.9617684301216c5cc4ab29f1c9c2661f.JPG

Parts is Parts

PICT0010.JPG.c77f762b427d89e4677f919ed920625e.JPG

Twisteeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

PICT0008.JPG.05aa7a5aa0b13962ec7dbcc7050e7ba9.JPG

OK, who's responsible for this mess.

PICT0012.JPG.64a022effadcc0bacb28a0bc01a77fe5.JPG

They are!

PICT0014.JPG.d49ab5d423599f279585ef8871d894e9.JPG

Zenobio - that's really the rides name. I don't make this stuff up. I couldn't get a good view of Sling Shot.

Edited by larrygator

I'm very happy about the new additions to the park! Especially the Steeplechase coaster (Which I presume is a moto-coaster?) and the Zamperla Flyer! I actually rode that flyer at Elitch Gardens back in 2006, so I'm glad I have another chance to ride it. Still one of the few people that enjoy those "death traps."

Cannot wait to stop by this summer. I really hope they don't replace the trains for the Cyclone... Or do any extensive track (No Topper Track from Rocky Mountain) because I feel like that would damage a lot of history in the coaster. But whatever needs to be done to keep the coaster another 100 years, I'm all for.

I'm very happy about the new additions to the park! Especially the Steeplechase coaster (Which I presume is a moto-coaster?) and the Zamperla Flyer! I actually rode that flyer at Elitch Gardens back in 2006, so I'm glad I have another chance to ride it. Still one of the few people that enjoy those "death traps."

Cannot wait to stop by this summer. I really hope they don't replace the trains for the Cyclone... Or do any extensive track (No Topper Track from Rocky Mountain) because I feel like that would damage a lot of history in the coaster. But whatever needs to be done to keep the coaster another 100 years, I'm all for.

Jeremie - remind me to ride the Cyclone with you this summer . Actually, I agree with you about not changing it, but the Cyclone is...well, it''s amazing but BRUTAL! One back seat ride you'll see what I mean. I'll definitely ride it as many times as possible because it is wild, out of control and kind of scary, but pain killers will be in order.

David

...but the Cyclone is...well, it''s amazing but BRUTAL! One back seat ride you'll see what I mean. I'll definitely ride it as many times as possible because it is wild, out of control and kind of scary, but pain killers will be in order.

David

I must completely agree with this, but I'll take "Cyclone Pain" over "Zamperla Flying Coaster Pain" in a heartbeat.

Mayor Bloomberg's office issued a press release yesterday that annoyed me. (You can read it here)

It said, in the big headline, that the two new Scream Zone coasters are the first new roller coasters at Coney Island since the Cyclone was built in 1927.

What? Two seconds of browsing rcdb reveal that, including those built last year, there have been (at least) 8 roller coasters introduced at Coney Island since 1927.

Not surprisingly they have led with the inaccurate but flashy headline. Later on, buried in the text of the release it qualifies the claim and says that these are the first new major roller coasters since the Cyclone in 1927.

Okay, the revised claim ignores the Bartlett/Miller Flying Turns coaster that was at Steeplechase Park in the 1930's. Seven of these were built in the 30's and '40's. If Knoebel's ever gets theirs going, this generation of fans can decide if it was "major" or not.

The qualification also implies that Zamperla builds "major" roller coasters. Ugh. I guess what this shows is that Coney Island, the birthplace of the archetype of the American amusement park, has fallen on such hard times, and for so long, that the addition of a Zamperla Volare is considered historic, by no less than the Office of the Mayor of the City of New York.

Did you see the video (thanks for posting, Adam) of Mayor Bloomberg "releasing" the slingshot? A gaggle of sophisticated New Yorkers who've never seen an attraction that can be found at downscale beach boardwalks. And they think this transforms Coney Island into a world class attraction?

One reason I voted (again) for Mayor Bloomberg was the brilliant Coney Island re-zoning and the defeat of Joe Sitt and the Thor Equities plan to bulldoze the history and turn Coney Island into a mall. But the administration's rhetoric implying that Zamperla is the be all and end all of amusement manufacturers and operators is maddening.

The only thing world class about Coney Island right now is its history, which the Mayor's Office found fit to ignore entirely. Don't get me wrong, it's my "home park" and I love being there. But Zamperla was not the choice to create world class experience, at least not in the near term. I hope I'm wrong and they go on to build the Zamperla version of Mack's Europa Park. That would be fine by me if Zamperla steps up their game and starts building and installing serious rides. But even the Macks put in a B&M.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Edited by milst1

It's all political posturing. Saying that this is first coaster since the Cyclone sound a hell of a lot more impressive than there were a bunch of other coasters but they are all gone now. They don't care if it's accurate, as long as it's impressive.

^Well we did get AirRace. More show piece flats like AirRace would have been nice.

I don't love the current state but feel this is much better (and long term viable) versus anything Joe Sitt would have done.

You're right, Larry, about AirRace. I'm not really a flats person, so I did overlook that. Good point.

And yes, Moose, only a few of the 8 million residents of NYC are going to say "hey, that's not accurate". Thus my rant.

• 6 months later...

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2011/44/bn_coneygokarts_2011_11_04_bk.html

Go-karts could be zooming their way back to Coney Island — and they may reach the finish line near the spot where developer Joe Sitt demolished their last speedway.

Coney developer Central Amusement is considering a new track between Stillwell Avenue and W. 15th Street — a stone’s throw from the last track to call Coney home between Stillwell and W. 12th Street.

The news that a go-kart track could get built was first reported by Amusing the Zillion, a local blog that reported that Central Amusement is also considering a water ride for the site.

Central Amusement spokesman Tom Corsillo said a final decision hasn’t been made.

“We’re considering a range of options and go-karts are one of them,” Corsillo said.

Coney’s faithful said visitors have been clamoring for go-karts ever since developer Joe Sitt bulldozed the neighborhood’s last remaining speedways, Go-Kart City and the racetrack run by Deno’s Wonder Wheel, in 2007.

Central Amusement eventually replaced them with Scream Zone, a collection of amusement rides.

“People still come in looking for go-karts in Coney Island,” said Dennis Vourderis, the owner of Deno’s Wonder Wheel. “I think its a good move [for Central Amusement] to bring them back.”

Coney Island’s go-kart history stretches back to at least the 1950s, when the first modern rides appeared between Surf Avenue and the Boardwalk, according to Charles Denson, the director of the Coney Island History Project.

The old Astroland theme park, which opened in 1962, also operated a racetrack before shutting it down.

“Go-karts are a part of Coney Island,” Denson said. “It’d be great if they returned.”

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/150318/coney-island-draws-biggest-crowds-in-decades

The calendar says November but the rides were still spinning Sunday in Coney Island. Dennis Vourderis, who operates Deno's Wonder Wheel, decided to open up his park over the weekend. It was an unusual extension to the amusement park season. But he says when the weather is good, so is business.

"It's very unusual that we are open in November, but the great weather and the excitement about Coney Island and how things have changed, there's a lot of foot traffic on the boardwalk lately, even on a sunny weekend in November. Go Figure," Vourderis said.

With record rainfall, Mother Nature washed out much of the business in August with an entire weekend totally drowned out by Hurricane Irene.

"We had an earthquake the last week of August along with a hurricane, so it was not a good way to end the season," said Vourderis. "So thankfully the sun's out in November, so we can make up some lost time."

But despite the rain, Coney Island fared well this summer. The city tells NY1 it was one of the most successful summer seasons on record with more than 640,000 visitors. That's about 200,000 more people than in 2010 when Luna Park became the first new amusement park in Coney Island in 50 years.

One reason for the upsurge this year was the addition of Scream Zone, operated by the Italian rides manufacturer Zamperla, which also runs Luna Park. With all three parks in action along with the landmark Cyclone roller coaster, thrill seekers came for their jolt this summer and continued to through the fall.

The city says it wants to add even more amusements for next season. It just put out a request for proposals for a site called Jones Walk, an alley-like street that sits between Luna Park and Deno's Wonder Wheel. The city is seeking an operator to add games, shops and rides to turn the narrow space into another fun destination.

"Coney Island is definitely growing it's expanding and it's going to be better than Disney World some day," Vourderis said.

http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/top_stories/150531/ny1-exclusive--historic-carousel-is-jewel-of-new-coney-island-park

The B&B Carousel, a fabled part of Coney Island history, used to sit on Surf Avenue. Now, developers will place it next to the landmark Parachute Jump, in a two-story pavilion with folding glass doors that open out toward the boardwalk.

The designer, David Rockwell of Rockwell Group, explains that he wants to have the famed amusement park's history mingle with the fun.

"We're treating the carousel and the 50 amazing original horses and two chariots as kind of a jewel offset with this round building," says Rockwell. "And around the perimeter, when you're on the carousel, there will be a small installation looking at the history of Coney Island."

The carousel will sit in a newly created Steeplechase Plaza. The city starts construction of the 2.2-acre park this week.

"It's a wonderful little park off the boardwalk that will allow people a place to hang out. There's a very shaded grove of trees down the hill, and it's the first public part of reimagining Coney Island," says Rockwell.

The city reimagined the more than 90-year-old wooden carousel operating in Coney Island's future. Back in 2005, Mayor Michael Bloomberg bought the carousel for nearly $2 million, when it was up for sale. It was old but still operational.

The carousel is being restored in Ohio to make its grand return to a $30 million Steeplechase Plaza, which sits in the the footprint of the former Steeplechase amusement Park.

"The parachute jump has always been this amazing icon, but now you're going to get to enter Steeplechase Plaza underneath it. And as you peek through it, it'll pull you into the park," says Rockwell.

The city says the park and carousel will be ready for the 2013 season.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/city_begins_construction_of_steeplechase_sEheGASTbv6SQArLr61wyM

Westward ho!

The city today begins construction of a long-anticipated piece of the Coney Island makeover — Steeplechase Plaza, which officials are banking on to make the boardwalk west of Stillwell Avenue rival in popularity to Luna Park and the rest of the amusement area to the east.

The $29.5 million, 2.2-acre plaza will feature a new pavilion for the historic 1919 B&B Carousel, which was rescued from auction by the Bloomberg administration in 2005, that will help showcase the landmark Parachute Jump.

The plaza will be located on the site of the former Steeplechase Amusement Park, between W. 16th and W. 19th streets. It’ll allow visitors to enter the amusement area by walking directly underneath the 262-feet-high Parachute Jump.

“Steeplechase Plaza is a first big step at building up the western end” that also includes soon-to-be built new playgrounds, shops and market-rate high-rise housing,” said local Councilman Domenic Recchia Jr.

The carousel was originally assembled in Coney Island in 1919, and is its last remaining historic carousel. The ride features fifty hand-carved wooden horses and two chariots.

The plaza will also include a shaded area to sit and enjoy the surroundings called “Luna Forest” and custom light fixtures.

carousel021314--300x300.jpg.a2571d24f10e43cf0123af92bd143468.jpg

ROCKWELL GROUP AND IO MEDIA

A rendering of the B&B Carousel in the new plaza

Edited by jedimaster1227