Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:12 pm

^It looks like I stand corrected if that comment appears on GCIs website.

At the first Rumblefest the question was asked and the GCI spokesman was emphatic in saying MFs would only run on GCIs.
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:13 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Hayzle wrote:I know the Cyclone is a classic and many say it should not be touched, but I would love to see Zamperla bring GCI on board to re-track this coaster and give it a set of millenium flyers.

With as hard as the Cyclone hits the bottom of the drops, I can't imagine how far down those Millennium Flyer restraints would ratchet down into riders' guts. And if GCII made those drops more parabolic, it wouldn't be the Cyclone.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Postby larrygator » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:12 am

With the Cyclone, for those who want a milder ride there are the first two cars. For those who want the feeling of being beaten up and having your lunch money taken, ride further back.

Cubs/Colts Fan

Postby spaceace12 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:49 am

I guess the purist in me thinks they should re track it only and not touch the trains other then maybe keeping the current rolling stock going. Four bench trains are not that used it seems anymore and (to me) new trains would kill part of the historicness to the coaster. I hope to get up to Coney Island within a couple years.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby HappyEisentrout » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:02 pm

They should re-track the ride and do a nice refurb on the trains. If GCI or Gravity Group can't do the trains, I'm sure PTC is dying for some work about now.
2003-2004 - Michigan's Adventure (Games, Shivering Timbers ATL, Wolverine Wildcat, Timber Town Railway)
2005-2009, 2011, 2012 - Cedar Point (Magnum XL-200, Top Thrill Dragster, Thunder Canyon TL, Maverick TL, CP&LE Engine House)

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 pm

http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2011/mar/08/coney-island-mainstays-stick-around-one-more-summer/

Seven Coney Island boardwalk businesses that faced eviction will stick around for at least one more summer.

The seaside mainstays -- including the venerated Ruby's Bar & Grill -- hashed out a deal late Monday night to extend their leases until November 2011. The so-called Coney Island Eight have been fighting eviction from their new landlord, Zamperla USA.

The eighth business, Shoot the Freak, plans to move elsewhere on the boardwalk after it was bulldozed to clear a path for a new entrance to the park.

"It's like art," said Anthony Berlingeri, owner of Shoot the Freak and Beer Island. "When someone looks at a picture, everyone has a different interpretation of it. And when you look at Coney Island, people have different visions too."

Berlingeri said he remained optimistic about the developer's "vision of the boardwalk."

Last year, the Bloomberg Administration selected Central Amusement International to plan the redevelopment of Coney Island's amusement park. In a statement, the developer's president, Valerio Ferrari, said the deal with the seven businesses was not part of the vision for this season, but is a "viable plan" to keep the boardwalk active.

Berlingeri hopes that the Coney Island Eight will be able to "work together" with the new developer and participate in planning the future of the amusement park.

In addition to Ruby's, the other boardwalk businesses staying through this summer are Kris Gregs, Beer House, Cha Cha's, Gyro Corner, Beer Island, Coney Island Souvenirs and Paul's Daughter.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby larrygator » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:35 pm

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/135434/new-coney-island-park-builds-rides--seeks-workers

From NY1 News - Progress is moving along with Scream Zone.

New Coney Island Park Builds Rides, Seeks Workers

The hammers are pounding and the drills are punching as construction crews erect Coney Island's newest roller coaster, the Soaring Eagle. So far, 1,200 feet of track have been installed and workers are racing to put up another 1,200 feet or so.

Opening day for a new amusement park, Scream Zone, is just five weeks away.

"The next five weeks, we're going to be very, very busy," said Valerio Ferrari, the president of Zamperla Inc.

Two rides are already on the Stillwell Avenue site, the coaster and the Zenobio, which spins in full circles.

Two more will complete the park, the human Sling Shot and the Steeplechase coaster. Italian amusement ride manufacturer Zamperla expects to ship those last two by the end of the month.

"We're going to receive 26 containers from Italy for the Steeplechase. So that'll be hard work to unload the container, just alone that," said Ferrari.

Scream Zone will have five entrances, including one on the famed boardwalk. When complete, riders will glide on the Soaring Eagle, daredevils will spin on the Zenobio, brave souls will be catapulted on the Sling Shot and amusement goers will take a historic ride back in time on the Steeplechase.

Coney Island fans who have been checking on the progress say they are excited.

"I've been in Coney Island since I was a teenager and this new project, I love it man. I wish I could go ride it right now," said Maurice Francis, a fan.

"I think it's great for Coney Island. I think it's a rebirth. I really think it's going to be great summer," said Eric Kowalsky, another fan.

Since opening Luna Park last year, Zamperla has quickly expanded its presence in the area. It will now operate the landmark Cyclone roller coaster, oversee all of the boardwalk concessions and open a new restaurant on the corner of Surf Avenue and West 10th Street called Cyclone Cafe.

Postby beatle11 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:07 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2011/mar/08/coney-island-mainstays-stick-around-one-more-summer/

Seven Coney Island boardwalk businesses that faced eviction will stick around for at least one more summer.

The seaside mainstays -- including the venerated Ruby's Bar & Grill -- hashed out a deal late Monday night to extend their leases until November 2011. The so-called Coney Island Eight have been fighting eviction from their new landlord, Zamperla USA.

The eighth business, Shoot the Freak, plans to move elsewhere on the boardwalk after it was bulldozed to clear a path for a new entrance to the park.

"It's like art," said Anthony Berlingeri, owner of Shoot the Freak and Beer Island. "When someone looks at a picture, everyone has a different interpretation of it. And when you look at Coney Island, people have different visions too."

Berlingeri said he remained optimistic about the developer's "vision of the boardwalk."

Last year, the Bloomberg Administration selected Central Amusement International to plan the redevelopment of Coney Island's amusement park. In a statement, the developer's president, Valerio Ferrari, said the deal with the seven businesses was not part of the vision for this season, but is a "viable plan" to keep the boardwalk active.

Berlingeri hopes that the Coney Island Eight will be able to "work together" with the new developer and participate in planning the future of the amusement park.

In addition to Ruby's, the other boardwalk businesses staying through this summer are Kris Gregs, Beer House, Cha Cha's, Gyro Corner, Beer Island, Coney Island Souvenirs and Paul's Daughter.

Nice to see they got something done at least for now. Hopefully they can work something out long term.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Big-M » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:38 pm

From Screamscape:

According to this news article, near the bottom, they talk about how there is an interesting stipulation in the proposals to find a new long term operator for the Coney Island Cyclone. Apparently one requirement is that the company selected to take over the operations of the ride is to supply the ride with new coaster trains as well, replacing the Cyclone’s old rolling stock.

Go here for more information: www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/clickety_lack_WEdMDKKJaK4katMZhFguPK
Favorite Woodie: Boulder Dash!
Favorite Steelie: Kawasemi!

Postby cal1br3tto » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:53 pm

^I highly, highly disapprove! I've been expecting and dreading news like this for months now!
I'm glad everything seems to be on track for the coaster to operate as normal this season.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!