TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Hopefully Led Zeppelin will somehow improve in the deconstruction, shipping, and reconstruction process cause it was pretty much in my bottom five B&M's when I rode it new!

Did I miss something?????

I'm just assuming that they're going to pick up some cheap, used B&M...there's one less than 700 miles away!

I seem to remember everyone giving the ride "ok", "fair", "it was pretty fun" type of reviews for the ride. I never rode it but could anyone describe why it was so mediocre? On paper and in pictures it looks like it should be at least a 7 or 8. Just wondering what it was lacking.

I liked Led Zeppelin a lot for what it was: a decent, gorgeously painted B&M. Strangely enough, it ran much better under Freestyle than Hard Rock. The drop was pretty good, gave me that real stomach in my chest sensation. The reason why it wasn't that great is that it had the B&M rattle, which kicked in after the very smooth cobra roll, and it was pretty forceless. Each time I rode, the trim before the zero-g always pulled hard, so that element wasn't too great. Also, it seemed something was misaligned after the midcourse, so there was a pretty big jerk on the downward helix. The whole end of the ride was pretty pointless, too. Just a slow helix and flatspin. None of these things made it un-fun, but it certainly wasn't the best B&M. On the plus side, the elements before the zero-g were excellent and it was the best "audio" coaster I've been on.

btw, The Led Z. has a MASSIVE footprint. It front print is about twice the length as Chang footprint. Their isn't enough room for that coaster. The only place this coaster can fit is behind T2, but that area will be used for the parking lot.

Granted, the sizing may not be just right, but it seems like Led Zeppelin would fit nicely in Chang's old spot.

That area is being occupied by the waterpark/parking lot. The pic you crop is smaller than what the coaster actually is.

I believe the new coaster will be over on the small side occupying this area.

If you haven't checked it out, Ed Hart was interviewed on In The Loop last night.

Mr. Hart seems to have an answer for everything, and although I don't agree with some of his decisions about future rides, the guy is a GREAT salesman.

During the interview, he discusses replacing Chang, the park not being as landlocked as it appears, the business of the park's reopening, and a lot of other stuff.

The full show can be found here

With Ed already having discussions with B&M does anyone else think if financing is secured that KK might be the site of the first B&M 4D in America, if all goes well at Gardaland. You know Ed will want something different than everyone else to bring people to the park and you can't get more exclusive than that right now.

I liked Led Zeppelin a lot for what it was: a decent, gorgeously painted B&M. Strangely enough, it ran much better under Freestyle than Hard Rock. The drop was pretty good, gave me that real stomach in my chest sensation. The reason why it wasn't that great is that it had the B&M rattle, which kicked in after the very smooth cobra roll, and it was pretty forceless. Each time I rode, the trim before the zero-g always pulled hard, so that element wasn't too great. Also, it seemed something was misaligned after the midcourse, so there was a pretty big jerk on the downward helix. The whole end of the ride was pretty pointless, too. Just a slow helix and flatspin. None of these things made it un-fun, but it certainly wasn't the best B&M. On the plus side, the elements before the zero-g were excellent and it was the best "audio" coaster I've been on.

Wasn't bothered by rattles or roughness, but the uninspired layout and tame sensations were disappointing. The out 'n back layout seems to work better on mega-coasters. Loopers, notsomuch.

With Ed already having discussions with B&M does anyone else think if financing is secured that KK might be the site of the first B&M 4D in America, if all goes well at Gardaland. You know Ed will want something different than everyone else to bring people to the park and you can't get more exclusive than that right now.

Something just as exclusive as one in the world? AQUATRAX!!!!!!! A B&M 4D or whatever it turns out to be will likely sit better with the GP though.

• 3 weeks later...

A year ago today, Six Flags announced the closure of Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom for good, but not so quite. The question is, is that do any of you all think Ed Hart will get the final approval for the bond?

Also, what about the new B&M? do any of you think the coaster is actually gonna be 8-10 million?

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this in the paper, this doesn't sound good:

Kentucky Kingdom may not reopen as planned in 2012 because legislators seem unlikely to approve a $50 million state bond issue to help pay for improvements there.

The Louisville amusement park, which is on property owned by the Kentucky State Fair Board, has been closed since 2010 after its previous owner, Six Flags, filed for bankruptcy.

Susan McNeese Lynch, a spokeswoman for Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Co., said the 2012 reopening date “would have to be revisited” if the money is not approved in this year’s session of the General Assembly.

But she said it's impossible to say for sure if there would be a delay or how long it would be.

“There are so many variables, so many things that could happen,” she said.

The fair board and the redevelopment company, which has been chosen to operate the amusement park, still hope that the bond issue could be approved this year.

But leaders in the state House of Representatives say there is little chance of that.

No legislation has been filed to authorize the tax-exempt bonds, which would pay for upgrades at the park and be retired using Kentucky Kingdom revenue.

Any effort to approve the bonds would have to take the form of an amendment to an existing bill. Because it could involve an expenditure of state funds, the legislation would have to have originated in the House.

“I don't think the mood of the legislature is to do any bonded expenditures this session,” said House Speaker Pro Tem Larry Clark, a Louisville Democrat. “We know (the 2012 session) is going to be the budget (writing) year, so we want to save all the money that we possibly can.”

Clark said earlier in the session that he had concerns about the fact that fair board officials first began talking about a $20 million bond and then increased it to $50 million.

House Majority Leader Rocky Adkins, D-Sandy Hook, said he hasn't heard anything about the bond issue since the session began in January. That, he said, casts serious doubt on whether it could be approved at this point.

Courier-Journal.com

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to let everyone know that Amusement Park Authority has been granted an interview with Ed Hart, the redeveloper of Kentucky Kingdom. If you have a question for Ed Hart that you would like us to ask in the interview, you can click the link below and post your questions there. You can submit your questions until Monday, March 14. The interview will take place soon after and we will post the answers to your questions soon after.

Submit your questions here: http://amusementparkauthority.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18634

• 5 weeks later...

I want to let everyone know that the elected officials of Louisville, are not in favor of issuing a bond to re-open Kentucky Kingdom. All the pie charts in the world couldn't help Ed Hart on this attempt.

Article from WAVE3 in Louisville

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – It is a major source of entertainment for Louisville Metro and a tourist attraction for Kentuckiana and beyond. But right now, the city is saying no to a $20 million bond issue that could open the gates at Kentucky Kingdom.

The park shut down in February 2010 when Six Flags, Inc. opted out of its lease. But the question the community has been asking is when will Kentucky Kingdom reopen? The answer is not anytime soon.

City officials tell us the $20 million bond issue needed to reopen a scaled back Kentucky Kingdom, basically an upscale water park, is too big of a risk for taxpayers.

"It's very important to get the park back open as soon as possible, since it's a big summer employer," said Chris Poynter, deputy director of communications for Mayor Greg Fischer.

Poynter says considering the city is facing its own big budget shortfall, it doesn't make sense to be all alone on the park right now especially because Kentucky Kingdom operates on state property with private investors.

Metro Council President Jim King (D-District 10) tells us the $50 million deal has changed many times. First, King says the state share was supposed to be $40 million and the city would add $10 million. Then, King says it changed to $30 million for the state, $20 million for the city. But when the Kentucky General Assembly did not take it up recently, King says giving $20 million to reopen as a water park only just didn't add up financially for the city.

So, what's next? King says Metro Government needs a strategy for the next legislative session.

Ed Hart, the man with the challenge of getting the park open again, has said he is disappointed. Hart has a press conference scheduled for Wednesday morning.

We asked for your opinion on our WAVE 3 Facebook page and this is what you're telling us.

Roseanne said, "It's everything to drive the tourists to Indiana and Nothing to entertain them in Kentucky."

Jeff said, "Might as well tear it down."

Stephanie said, "That stinks! My kids will be grown before they get that place reopened."

And Dennis indicated, all the money will be headed up the road to Cincinnati and the city's big water park at Great Wolf Lodge.

Edited by larrygator

And Dennis indicated, all the money will be headed up the road to Cincinnati and the city's big water park at Great Wolf Lodge.[/i]

Yes Dennis, because state and city money will really be going to another city in another state.

I did not follow this thread for a long time.

My question is?

Is the Break dance still standing in the park or is it moved to a other park?

Does somebody have a contact-adress for me who ownes the breakdance at this moment.

Greetings from Holland

^I think the Break Dancer is still untouched at the moment. You can find the contact information here: http://www.kentuckykingdom.com/site/

I'll also post it here:

KKRC (Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Company)

1904 Eastern Parkway

Louisville, KY 40204

502-473-0545

info@kentuckykingdom.com

Well, the park kept teens employed for the summer and off my streets for the better part of the day, it brought in tax revenue for the city which in turned help fund services. It helped give residents of the city something to do, especially for the crowds that don't care for zoos and not old enough to enjoy some of the more adult oriented activities (bars, clubs). It was not the best park, but it wasn't the worst. The park might not have been a travel destination that some others are (especially in the later years) but it was another option in a list of activities to do in the summer where you could generally have a good time, locally. Don't want to be fan-boyish over it, because I'm not, but that question seems to be motivated by personal opinion of the park from one or two visits from the Six Flags years. Did you ever get a chance to visit the park from 1995-1998?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wfpl.org/2011/04/15/hart-revises-plans-for-kentucky-kingdom-still-hopes-for-2012-re-opening/

Businessman Ed Hart has put forward a third proposal for re-opening the Kentucky Kingdom theme park next year.

Hart first sought to renovate and re-open the park with a $50 million bond from the state. The General Assembly didn’t take up the issue. Hart then planned to use $20 million from the city this year and $30 million from the state next year to renovate the park. The city rejected that plan.

Hart has now promised to increase his own investment in the park and is seeking a $17.5 million bond from the city. Mayor’s spokesperson Chris Poynter says the money isn’t the biggest concern for Metro Government, it’s whether the state will contribute as well.

“The city government has no direct role in the fairgrounds or Kentucky Kingdom—it’s run by the state. So when the state decided not to help put money in, it was disappointing because we thought we could have a three-legged stool financially, with the state contributing some, the city contributing some and, obviously, the private developer contributing some,” he says. “It wasn’t necessarily the number, it was the risk factor for the city. So we need to really look at what are the revenue streams for the city. Is this a better deal for the taxpayers? And that’s what our chief financial officer and the mayor will be looking at in the next week.”

The revised proposal gives Metro Government more guaranteed revenue from the park. That money will also be delivered sooner than it would have under previous plans.

^thanks Adam. I didn't get a chance to link this article yesterday.

Always good to see a businessman putting more skin in the game versus looking solely for handouts.

Edited by larrygator

• 3 weeks later...
Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer has proposed a plan for the city to issue $17.5 million in general-obligation bonds to get the Kentucky Kingdom amusement park reopened next year.

The bonds would be backed by an unnamed investor and occupational taxes and parking fees generated by the park at the Kentucky Exposition Center, according to a release issued by Chris Poynter, a spokesman for the mayor.

“It’s always been my goal to reopen Kentucky Kingdom because it’s a valuable tourist attraction and it will create jobs, but it needs to be a deal that is good for the city,” Fischer said.

The Louisville Metro Council must approve issuing the bonds.

The plan, presented Wednesday morning to Kentucky Kingdom investor Ed Hart and Kentucky State Fair Board President Harold Workman, involves much less risk to taxpayers than previous deals proposed by Hart, Fischer said in the release.

“The deal we have presented is fair to the city, to taxpayers and to Mr. Hart,” he said.The intent is to get the park open in a limited fashion by 2012. Getting it back to full operation in 2013 will require an additional bond issue by the state, according to Poynter.

The city’s proposal would work this way, according to the city’s release:

The plan would require an annual debt payment of $1.5 million over 20 years to pay off the $17.5 million in bonds.

The city would commit its portion of the occupational tax revenue collected at Kentucky Kingdom toward the bond payment — up to a maximum of $1 million. Any shortfall would be covered by the park from parking fees.

The remaining $500,000 of the $1.5 million annual installment would be paid by a third-party investor with a financial interest in Kentucky Kingdom, said Steve Rowland, the city’s chief financial officer, who structured the deal with Fischer and financial advisers.

The deal also would have the city share in profits if Kentucky Kingdom is ever sold.

Hart has been working for more than a year to try to get the park reopened since the Six Flags corporation closed it in 2009.

The Kentucky State Fair Board recently extended until Sept. 30 an agreement giving Hart the rights to try to reopen the park.

The fair board initially gave approval last year for Hart’s company to try to reopen the 60-acre park. The cost of redeveloping and refurbishing the park, including new rides and an enhanced water park, has been estimated at $50 million.

Hart could not be reached immediately to discuss the latest plan, but he previously offered to increase his investment in the park project from $3.4 million to $7 million and to make guarantees to reduce the risk to the city on a proposed $17.5 million bond issue.

An earlier plan to open the park with help from the state failed when the 2011 General Assembly declined to approve the bonds.

Source

Edit (6-26-11):

Great video update on the park from Fox: http://www.fox41.com/story/14972561/kentucky-kingdom-at-crossroads-for-next-year