Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1066: Finnegan's Flyer POV video
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Gimme Some Candy!

Re: The Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:30 pm

I think Intamin should get on the tilt coaster bandwagon! And by bandwagon, I mean the one lone cart over in Taiwan. But I think they could pull it off!*

*With a lot of downtime.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby braztaz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 am

The "hold for five seconds" kind of reminds me about Griffon...but I have no idea what position they're in :|
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:21 pm

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has sent us a press release with lots of photos and video regarding their two-year expansion plans and progress on Mach Tower and Vanish Point.

Busch Gardens’ popular Oktoberfest village is getting a new look this spring. The project is part of a two-year rebuild of the area. “Oktoberfest is the heart of Busch Gardens,” said Park President Carl Lum. “It serves as a hub of activity where friends and family can come together to enjoy rides, shows, delicious brats and games.”

Busch Gardens’ engineering team has spent the winter months building new facilities, moving existing rides and preparing for the installation of Mäch Tower, the park’s newest and tallest thrill attraction.

“Oktoberfest hasn’t changed significantly in thirty years,” said Larry Giles, vice president of design and engineering. “We’re taking what guests already love about Oktoberfest and building on it for a 21st-century audience.” When Oktoberfest opens this spring, guests will be treated to a Bavarian-style pretzel bakery, additional game areas and performance spaces. The park’s culinary team has been working to perfect new pretzel recipes.

“We’ve been conducting pretzel tastings during our off season and are now in the process of finalizing the menu, presentation and condiments,” said Jeff Thomas, vice president of culinary operations. The new shop, called Beste Brezeln und Bier, serves traditional hand-twisted pretzels along with pretzel-inspired creations like cinnamon-and-sugar pretzel nuggets and pretzel-wrapped hotdogs. Guests can purchase a cold beverage and sneak a peek through the shop windows as bakers hand roll and twist the pretzel creations.

A foot-stomping, thigh-slapping, strolling “oompah” band complements the culinary offerings, and a new show currently in development takes advantage of a maypole being constructed in the flower garden in front of Das Festhaus.

“We want Oktoberfest to remain as authentic as possible, so we made sure that the new additions not only enhance the festive atmosphere, but would bring another level of authenticity,” said Scott Gasparich, vice president of entertainment who leads the park’s thematic, event and show production teams. Colorful ribbons, festive greenery and blue-and-white checkerboard patterns are all part of the Oktoberfest theme that will be seen throughout the village. “Oktoberfest features a harmonious blend of tradition and modern heritage,” Gasparich said. “We’re putting our own twist on Germany’s traditional Oktoberfest celebration.”

Attentive guests will notice many village design elements feature colors from the German flag. The red, yellow and black have a traditional German feel while a colored maypole and festive banners depict Bavaria’s rich cultural heritage and add a finishing touch to the village ambiance.

Many new features required reconfiguring of the existing Oktoberfest space. To make room for Mäch Tower, the park’s Der Katapult is being relocated to New France. The scrambler-style ride is by far the most traveled attraction at the 100-acre theme park, having been moved four times since Busch Gardens opened in 1975. It is being renamed Le Catapult to fit its new French-inspired location.

Das Wirbelwindchen, affectionately known by park aficionados as the “kiddie swings,” will be relocated near the Roto Baron attraction, closer to Das Festhaus.

“We know guests love these KIDsiderate rides so we decided to relocate them to other areas to accommodate all the changes to Oktoberfest,” Giles said.

Guests will get their chance to start experiencing Busch Gardens’ rejuvenated Oktoberfest village when the park opens March 26. Mäch Tower is scheduled to open in late spring. Until then, fans can visit http://www.facebook.com/BuschGardens for the latest news and construction updates.

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

WO0215RK01_013H.jpg
Work is underway to complete the base of Mäch Tower℠, Busch Gardens’ newest and tallest ride. Once complete, the thrill ride will rise higher than any other attraction at the park, taking riders nearly 240 feet above Oktoberfest then dropping them at breathtaking speed. Mäch Tower, situated in the park’s Oktoberfest village, will open in late spring.
BO0125RK02_005H.jpg
This spring, guests will be welcomed to the updated Oktoberfest village with the aroma of freshly baked pretzels and the fun atmosphere of a new beer garden. The ground work for the pretzel shop and beer garden have been laid and the park’s culinary team is diligently working on the perfect pretzel recipe.
BO0208RK02_012H.jpg
Beste Brezeln und Bier, Oktoberfest’s new Bavarian-style pretzel bakery, begins to take shape. Once complete, the shop will serve hand-made pretzels and an assortment of specialty beers.
BO0208RK02_016H.jpg
BO0208RK02_023H.jpg
caption: A construction worker guides a beam into place while constructing Beste Brezeln und Bier, Oktoberfest’s new Bavarian-style pretzel bakery.
BO0208RK02_025H.jpg
BO0215RK02_009H.jpg
A crane guides the base of Mäch Tower℠ into position during the construction phase of Busch Gardens’ newest thrill ride scheduled to open in late spring. Mäch Tower℠ , along with a Bavarian-style pretzel bakery, games area and performance spaces will be part of the fresh new look of the park’s new Oktoberfest village.
BO0215RK02_015H.jpg
A construction worker guides the base of Mäch Tower℠ into place during the construction phase of Busch Gardens’ newest thrill ride. Upon completion, 30 riders will be lifted nearly 240 feet in the air then dropped at breathtaking speed. Mäch Tower℠ opens late spring.
BO0215RK02_016H.jpg
A construction worker inspects the base of Mäch Tower℠ during the construction phase of Busch Gardens’ newest thrill ride. Upon completion, 30 riders will be lifted nearly 240 feet in the air then dropped at breathtaking speed. Mäch Tower℠ opens late spring.
BO0215RK02_023H.jpg
Crews guide the base of Mäch Tower℠ into place during the construction phase of Busch Gardens’ newest thrill ride.
High res Oktoberfest.jpg
After more than 30 years, Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va., is updating the look and atmosphere of the iconic Oktoberfest area in 2011. Restaurants, games and performance areas that follow a traditional German Oktoberfest celebration await visitors next year. Guests can enjoy fresh-baked pretzels and a new beer garden set amid canopies of colored maypoles and festive banners that depict the rich heritage of Bavaria.
MachTower KeyVisual.jpg
As guests enter the Oktoberfest section of Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. next spring, they will see the massive spire known as Mäch Tower. The tallest ride in the park, Mäch Tower lifts up to 30 riders nearly 240 feet above Oktoberfest. After rotating at the top of the tower and getting a few seconds to take in the view, riders drop at breath-taking speed. State-of-the-art special effects including enhanced audio and other surprises will elevate Mäch Tower to new heights in ride design and engineering. This psychological thrill ride opens in spring of 2011.
MachTower_Logo_4C.jpg
As guests enter the Oktoberfest section of Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. next spring, they will see the massive spire known as Mäch Tower. The tallest ride in the park, Mäch Tower lifts up to 30 riders nearly 240 feet above Oktoberfest. After rotating at the top of the tower and getting a few seconds to take in the view, riders drop at breath-taking speed. State-of-the-art special effects including enhanced audio and other surprises will elevate Mäch Tower to new heights in ride design and engineering. This psychological thrill ride opens in spring of 2011.
Vanish_Point.jpg
Guests are in for the slide of their lives at epic new drop slide, Vanish Point at Water Country USA in Williamsburg, Va. Inspired by the point on a wave where water and gravity form a perfect partnership, this summit supplies two wicked-wet ways to drop out of sight. The crest of this 75-foot tower challenges guests with two wave paths. They can step into a skybox and take a plunge when the floor drops out beneath their feet, or they can get horizontal on a 300-foot speed slide that drops them straight down as soon as they enter. Either way, it’s pure liquid adrenaline.
VanishPoint6.jpg
WO0125RK01_011H.jpg
Construction teams are hard at work preparing for the addition of Vanish Point℠, Water Country USA’s epic new 75-foot slide tower featuring four new thrilling slides. Vanish Point will be dropping into Water Country USA this spring.
WO0208RK01_007H.jpg
The ground work has been laid for Water County USA’s newest ride, Vanish Point℠. The new slide will drop daring riders nearly 300 feet reaching speeds up to nearly 40 miles per hour.
WO0208RK01_010H.jpg
WO0215RK01_001H.jpg
Construction crews work on the perimeter walls of Vanish Point℠, Water Country USA’s newest speed slide, scheduled to open this spring. Vanish Point℠ will feature a 75-foot-tall, four-slide tower with two different, thrilling ways to ride
WO0215RK01_010H.jpg
WO0215RK01_013H.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby HappyEisentrout » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Specialty Beers.

That was the exciting part of this first phase. Can't wait to hear about phase two.
2003-2004 - Michigan's Adventure (Games, Shivering Timbers ATL, Wolverine Wildcat, Timber Town Railway)
2005-2009, 2011, 2012 - Cedar Point (Magnum XL-200, Top Thrill Dragster, Thunder Canyon TL, Maverick TL, CP&LE Engine House)

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby ToTheMax012 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm still wondering what kind of surprises they could put on a drop tower?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:09 pm

ToTheMax012 wrote:I'm still wondering what kind of surprises they could put on a drop tower?

Ejector seats?

I've been wondering about that myself. I recall something about "lighting effects" being mentioned earlier.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:41 pm

It's about time they put something in near the Meltdown slide. That view got old really fast. But, why do they have to make Vanish Point face the same way as Meltdown? Before we know it, all the slides in the park will be in a straight line.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Pubic hair eating champion of the world!

Location: Planet Earth...which I *think* is somewhere in the Universe

Postby mightbeawannabe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:37 pm

There's an umlaut in Ernst Mach's name? Hmm...

Anyway, I can't wait to see the ground phase ending and some vertical construction starting. :airtime:
Hi. I'm a signature. You were looking for the guy right above me. Everyone thinks he's more important...sob...he says he's Postal or something like that.

People must really like their mail.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby esvadj » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:00 pm

Yo Gabba Gabba's own DJ Lance Rock appearing at the park Sunday April 17th

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=171513376230200

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!