Photo TR: Japan and southern China

Just added Chimelong Paradise - page 14
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Photo TR: Japan and southern China

Postby la2lvtom » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:
la2lvtom wrote:Love the colors on Space Mountain. All these posts are making miss Hong Kong Disneyland again.

We were there when the Halloween stuff was starting up. A lot of 'green lighting' all over the park, lol.

I have missed out on the Halloween event twice now but I will for sure go soon, probably in 2016. Next year finally getting the wife here to the states so concentrating solely on that but I see a trip to visit family in Guangzhou coming in October of 2016 and HKD is only a 1.5 hour train ride away. ;)
Top 5 steel : 1. Nemesis (Alton Towers), 2. Millenium Force (Cedar Point), 3. Flying Dinosaur (Universal Studios Japan), 4. Incredible Hulk (IOA), 5. Parrot Coaster (Chimelong Ocean Kingdom)

Top 5 wood : 1. the Beast (Kings Island), 2. Wood Coaster (Knights Valley, Shenzhen China), 3. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure), 4. the Voyage (Holiday World) 5. Ghostrider (Knott's Berry Farm)

Postby la2lvtom » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:47 pm

After we visited Hong Kong Disneyland we spent our final day doing the whole touristy thing in Hong Kong. Lily's boss lives in Hong Kong so he drove us all over the island to see all the "tourist" locations, I must say Hong Kong is truly a beautiful country I only wish the air was better when I was there but it was still beautiful none the less.

I was in Hong Kong at the same time as the protests, this was the day after the Chinese government closed the borders to all tourists so we avoided all areas around where the protests were ongoing because I don't exactly "blend in" with the locals and didn't want to "accidently" be arrested, LOL.

On to the Hong Kong proper pics...
IMAG1140.jpg
First we went to an ocean inlet that had this small beach, Lily's boss told us that the residences in the area start around 150,000,000 HKD. Must be nice.
IMAG1146.jpg
It would have been nice to rent one of these sailboats but I don't think I could afford it.
IMAG1143.jpg
Some of the high end residences, you definitely get an amazing view at that price.
IMAG1152.jpg
We next went to a popular tourist area called Stanley market in the town of Stanley.
IMAG1162.jpg
This is the Murray house, he explained to us that it was originally part of a military barracks but it was moved and rebuilt here.
IMAG1165.jpg
It really was a beautiful building, very artistic. There are some shops located in here now.
IMAG1166.jpg
The Blake pier at Stanley.
IMAG1167.jpg
The pavilion at the end of the pier had some really nice shapes to it.
IMAG1156.jpg
A group of small boats like this is so very relaxing to look at.
IMAG1150.jpg
Personally I find everything about China so photogenic, even this simple pot.
IMAG1183.jpg
We next visited an area know as Deep Water Bay. This is supposed to be another popular tourist area.
IMAG1189.jpg
Upon stepping on to the sand you are greeted by this lovely sign. Basically there is a net to keep the sharks out but sharks can still enter anyway??? Note to self... just stay out of the water!
IMAG1190.jpg
It was really a very relaxing area. There is a huge yacht that pulled in (just to the right of the lifeguard stand), what it must be like to have that kind of money.
IMAG1192.jpg
Yes, there is obviously money in this area also.
IMAG1196.jpg
These condos were very unique.
IMAG1191.jpg
If you look at the middle of this picture on top of the mountain is Ocean Kingdom theme park and the amazing B&M floorless coaster Hair Raiser. There, this portion is now officially theme park related and not just pictures of my family vacation, LOL.
IMAG1198.jpg
Our final location is an area known as the PEAK, it is a dinning and shopping area on top of a mountain. What makes this area unique is...
IMAG1203.jpg
the amazing views of Hong Kong. I have mentioned it before but Hong Kong really is a beautiful and picturesque city. Too bad the air pollution was very poor today.
IMAG1212.jpg
Although, it does make for great pictures with the wife.
IMAG1223.jpg
Apparently the man behind the Frightdome here in Las Vegas has branched out and made a haunted attraction here at the PEAK mall. It didn't open until later in the day so I was not able to experience it (the ticket sales was open although, so I asked them if I received a discount if I lived in Las Vegas, sadly no :( ).
IMAG1224.jpg
Throughout the mall they had displays setup for the haunt.
IMAG1201.jpg
These life size dolls moved, they were actually kinda creepy. I can just imagine what they are like at night.
IMAG1202.jpg
Interesting props...
IMAG1220.jpg
I just felt the urge to give him a big ol' kiss.
IMAG1210.jpg
Interesting...
IMAG1217.jpg
MMM BRAINS!!!
IMAG1230.jpg
Finally we stopped and had lunch at a restaurant on Victoria Harbor before heading to the train station to catch the train back to Guangzhou. Hong Kong was fun and hopefully next time we will have more than a half day to explore more areas.
Top 5 steel : 1. Nemesis (Alton Towers), 2. Millenium Force (Cedar Point), 3. Flying Dinosaur (Universal Studios Japan), 4. Incredible Hulk (IOA), 5. Parrot Coaster (Chimelong Ocean Kingdom)

Top 5 wood : 1. the Beast (Kings Island), 2. Wood Coaster (Knights Valley, Shenzhen China), 3. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure), 4. the Voyage (Holiday World) 5. Ghostrider (Knott's Berry Farm)

Postby la2lvtom » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Tomorrow I will be heading to Orlando for a few days so we can experience the Osborne lights at Disney Studios and finally visit Diagon Alley at Universal Studios so I will not have any updates until I get back. I will try to get all the small parks in Guangzhou, Canton Tower and Chimelong Paradise posted next weekend. Again thanx for visiting my trip report of Japan and southern China.

Postby la2lvtom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:41 pm

On a side note I visited Disney World in Orlando yesterday which makes 3 different Disneyland's in 3 different countries in 40 days. I know people do this all the time but it's something I never thought I would have ever done in my life. Maybe I should go to Disneyland in California tomorrow and make it 4 different Disneyland's in 40 days...
IMAG1830.jpg

Postby la2lvtom » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:25 pm

After we returned to Guangzhou from Hong Kong we had a couple of days of rest then Lily went back to work and this gave me an opportunity to visit some of the little parks in Guangzhou for this trip report.
IMAG1276.jpg
For the first location you must take the Guangzhou Metro line 2 and exit at the Yuexiu Park station towards "B1" exit/entrance.
IMAG1277.jpg
Just a few steps from the Metro exit you come to the entrance to Yuexiu Park. This is the largest city park in Guanzhou and is home to 2 small theme parks.
IMAG1324.jpg
The most famous landmark in this park is the 5 ram statue. The legend states that 5 immortals descended upon Chuting (Guangzhou's former name) riding rams carrying corn millet and gave the corn millet to the locals as a sign of good harvest. The immortals then left as their rams turned to stone. This statue represents the people of Guangzhou's good harvest.
IMAG1323.jpg
Also found in Yuexiu park is what I have been told by many here part of the first iterations of the great wall ran through Guangzhou and this is what is left standing of the original wall.
IMAG1283.jpg
You can rent a paddle boat here so you and your significant other can have a romantic cruise along the river OR get a bunch of your buddies and act like pirates as you pillage the couples on the lake.
IMAG1288.jpg
Just beyond the paddle boats you come to the first of the parks, Beixiu amusement park. This one is more of a kiddie park.
IMAG1284.jpg
The large ride here is Torrent Surfing, it is a splashdown boat ride into a pool of malaria.
IMAG1291.jpg
This is a staple at all small Chinese parks, In-Line Cars Riding On The Interchange.
IMAG1292.jpg
A "Luxury Carousel" can be found here.
IMAG1293.jpg
Can't have a children's park without a children's bungee attraction.
IMAG1294.jpg
An off the rack tiny train.
IMAG1295.jpg
And finally an enclosed Kid's Zone.
IMAG1287.jpg
As you make your way to the second amusement park here you come across many randon statues.
IMAG1286.jpg
I believe if this had water it would make more sense but sitting here randomly I was confused.
IMAG1296.jpg
The main amusement park is located at the top of the mountain. Yinjin amusement park is kinda a staple for me, I have only failed to visit it one time and that was my wedding trip to Guangzhou. It really is one of the nicest "small local amusement parks" I have visited in China.
IMAG1297.jpg
Once you pass through this archway you descend down the mountain and the park is situated on the mountain side.
IMAG1298.jpg
You will find a nice assortment of flat rides, and yes the ride op was sleeping.
IMAG1299.jpg
A Chinese knockoff Dumbo themed to bees.
IMAG1300.jpg
A suspended whiplash flat ride.
IMAG1301.jpg
Another staple in small Chinese parks, the Viking.
IMAG1303.jpg
It is mandatory that every park in China has some sort of shooting ride (practice for the young ones I guess). When I first started visiting this park this ride was heavily military themed but recently they changed the theming to sea life, I'm thinking so it would not appear so obvious.
IMAG1302.jpg
Although the real tank is still here. Over the years I have resisted temptation to get on the tank, don't think it would be appropriate for an American to jump all over and actual Chinese tank, I think it could be a trap.
IMAG1306.jpg
This Paratrooper flat ride is fairly new to this park.
IMAG1312.jpg
Standard bumper cars.
IMAG1305.jpg
They had a nice "swings" ride that lasts about twice as long as any swing ride I have seen in America.
IMAG1321.jpg
They added this "medium" Frisbee ride within the last year, I am not a fan of these rides and if I don't see the giant Huss placard on them I do not ride them but this is a nice addition for this park. This is the one ride that always had people on it while I was here so it was a good investment for the park.
IMAG1320.jpg
This overhead "railway" ride has been here a long time but they replaced the ride vehicles 3 months ago. The old vehicles were human powered, you had to peddle them like a bicycle to get them to move. The new vehicles are electric and you can control the speed and now make them spin, in this picture the vehicle is going backwards.
IMAG1316.jpg
The Chinese haunted attraction where the employees touch and grab you. This will not fly in America but in China these are at all the parks and they only really grab your ankles so it's not inappropriate.
IMAG1313.jpg
They are adding a Top Spin that should be open early 2015. It is nice to see that this park is spending some money to update its attractions. This is an old park (my wife used to visit it when she was a child) and on the side of a mountain so you would think the owners would just let it get old but no, they are spending money and that makes me happy.
IMAG1315.jpg
At the back of the park is the only credit here and it just a typical Chinese flying squirrel but a credit is a credit.
IMAG1319.jpg
Preparing to ride the most terrifying series of coasters ever built... the Chinese knockoff flying squirrel, but it is okay because the vehicles are retro Mickey Mouse themed.
IMAG1420.jpg
Okay, that ride was terrifying. After the lift hill you make a sudden left and every time I ride it I feel like I will fall off the track and I grab on for dear life, this time I grabbed on a little too secure and the next morning I wake up with this on my inner bicep but a credit is a credit.

Postby la2lvtom » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:02 pm

The following day when Lily went to work I set out to my next destination, the Guangzhou zoo. Anyone who went on the TPR China tour 2012 should remember this park.
IMAG1486.jpg
Take the Guangzhou Metro line 5 to the Zoo station and depart at the "B" entrance/exit. This will place you at the rear entrance of the zoo which is good because the Amusement park is located there.
IMAG1485.jpg
This is the entry plaza to the Guangzhou zoo.
IMAG1423.jpg
Once you enter the zoo walk down the path and past a restroom on the right and you come to the entrance to Happy World.
IMAG1424.jpg
They have what would be a nice flume ride if it were not for the fact that it drops you into a pool of malaria.
IMAG1426.jpg
They have a kiddie dragon coaster or as we call it... A CREDIT.
IMAG1427.jpg
This park has changed quite a bit since the TPR trip in 2012, a lot of money has been spent on improvements. This is a new Disc-O ride they added themed to motor bikes, for some reason.
IMAG1428.jpg
They have a rocket ride.
IMAG1430.jpg
This is a neat kiddie boat ride that has guns mounted on the boats and you shoot at targets on the scenery.
IMAG1432.jpg
They have a "swings" ride.
IMAG1433.jpg
And of course the Viking swinging ship. Seriously this thing is in every small park here in Guangzhou.
IMAG1442.jpg
This park also has a shooting water ride.
IMAG1445.jpg
The monorail pillars have a fresh new paint job. I am guessing the track will be next.
IMAG1443.jpg
The park has added a new Ferris Wheel to its ride line up.
IMAG1444.jpg
In the base of the Ferris Wheel they added a new Dinosaur 4D ride.
IMAG1438.jpg
The second coaster at this park is yet another Chinese knock off screaming squirrel.
IMAG1439.jpg
The things I do to present to you a complete trip report. This one didn't tilt as much as the one at Yinjin park the day before so it wasn't as terrifying to ride but scary none the less.
IMAG1435.jpg
They were in the process of repainting the coaster while I was there. The coaster was still running but when the car approached where they were painting they all stepped back and once it passed they went back to painting.
IMAG1483.jpg
Here is the view of the entire park from the top of the Ferris Wheel. Much like Yinjin park the owners have been spending some money to update this park and it shows, I am so happy that they decided to update these parks and hope they continue to update them.
IMAG1449.jpg
Within the zoo is Ocean World which is the largest "in land" aquarium in China.
IMAG1464.jpg
At the entry to Ocean World is this statue.
IMAG1467.jpg
Penguin statues to take pictures with.
IMAG1446.jpg
There is a show featuring Beluga whales, dolphins and sea lions.
IMAG1448.jpg
Jumping for the ball.

Postby la2lvtom » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:05 pm

To enter the main aquarium you must go down this escalator that is surrounded by this acrylic dome that has a great view of the aquarium.

Postby la2lvtom » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:27 pm

More from the zoo...
IMAG1450.jpg
Once you reach the main room in the aquarium there are several smaller tanks set up with various fish.
IMAG1451.jpg
The round tanks were really unique.
IMAG1452.jpg
The salt water fish are always very colorful.

Postby la2lvtom » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:30 pm

Some video of the different tanks...

Postby la2lvtom » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:08 am

More pics from the zoo...
IMAG1456.jpg
The catfish tank.
IMAG1455.jpg
A water feature found in the aquarium.
IMAG1460.jpg
Watching the giant turtles swimming really puts you at ease, they are just so majestic when they swim.
IMAG1461.jpg
This artwork was very Chinese to me.
IMAG1462.jpg
Awe, how adorable. Wish Lily was with me so we can get a photo together.
IMAG1468.jpg
For the life of me I can't remember what these were so since it is China let's just call them giant rats.
IMAG1469.jpg
Porcupines, don't you just want to reach out and hug them???
IMAG1472.jpg
The lions were out in full "walk around in circles" mode today.
IMAG1476.jpg
The pelicans were out on a leisurely swim today.
IMAG1478.jpg
This guy heard there was food being thrown into the water so he hurried over to beg...
IMAG1481.jpg
The miniature horses stable was designed to resemble an English cottage, because everyone knows that all miniature horses are located in England.
IMAG1482.jpg
Llama, Llama, Llama, Llama, Llama, Llama... sorry, flashback to the Jimmy Neutron ride at Universal Studios Orlando.
IMAG1479.jpg
They are doing a huge construction project that spans from the reptile cage all the way over near the amusement park. I asked at guest services if they were expanding the amusement park but no, they are just creating new exhibits for the future. For anyone that remembers their visit to the zoo, this is the area that had the earthquake exhibit and the science building, they are both gone now.
IMAG1480.jpg
Over by the amusement park, this is a large area that is under construction, can't wait to see it finished.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive