TR: Two short Happy Valley Park visits in 5 Days

Update: Happy Valley Shenzhen!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Re: TR: Two short Happy Valley Park visits in 5 Days

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:32 am

Finally part 2 is coming! Sorry for the delay everyone.

Visiting Happy Valley Shenzhen is also a last minute decision, when my cousins and I found out there's a Michelin ranked restaurant in Shenzhen, we booked a table for lunch. Happy Valley Shenzhen was planned for the afternoon and night. But thanks to the horrible traffic on the highway, we had to push the plan to 8:30 PM and visit Happy Valley earlier.

A lot of people here have been to Happy Valley Shenzhen so I would skip some negative reviews about the park operation. I visited the park since 1998 when no roller coaster was there yet, I remember screaming to my mom when she was riding the S&S Space Shot because I was afraid the car would derail at the top. The park brought my family from Meisho rides to amusement rides with higher quality. I still have the picture of us riding the Vekoma mine train from more than ten years ago... The place is full of memory and it will always stand at a special spot in my heart.

BUT there is a reason why I haven't been back to the park for 5 years and never rode an amazing GCI even though it's only 1.5 hours drive from home! You think SFMM has horrible operation? Try any OCT park! Last time I visited the park, they were dispatching the SLC every 20 minutes and the line was 4.5 hours long! Before entering the entrance(only two out of 10 lanes were opened while 200 people were entering the park), we were expecting the worst operation we've ever seen but the park really brought our expectation to the new low. Bullet Coaster was the main reason we visited the park, it's been so long since I rode a good launch coaster an my cousins haven't experienced the power of an air compress launch before. We waited 1.5 hours for our front row ride with one train operation(of course), slow safety check, assigning seat, weird exit policy and that weird exercise they do.

Bullet Coaster review:
This is a wild ride! The launch was incredible, currently my second favorite launch after that of TTD. Elements gives a lot of strong laterals and throws you around even more than the quick transitions on Powder Keg. There aren't much airtime besides the first drop and the twisted airtime hill. Wave Turn doesn't provide the Outlaw Run level of intense airtime but only floating sideways is awesome enough to make it my favorite element of the whole ride. I don't know if OCT maintained the ride properly but the train jerks around A LOT! Not sure if it's designed like that but after a while it gets pretty hard to enjoy the ride when your elbow is constantly hitting the rider next to you. Plus, the train bounces up and down, not as bad as those B&M rattle but definitely noticeable. I wonder why they don't use the bogies that push the upstop wheels towards the track (what are they called?) Bullet Coaster is a very fun coaster that has some very intense moments like the launch, first drop at the back row and strong positive G at the bottom of the first drop. I ranked it my 14th steel coaster.

After two rides on Bullet Coaster, we went to the SLC Shenlin. You know what to expect from an SLC so no review needed. Shout out to Happy Valley for making an effort to dispatch the train every 10 minutes instead of 20 :roll:

Mine train is my first non-kiddie coaster, we ride it once for the childhood memory. It is a smooth ride, but Golden Horse's mine train at Happy Valley Tianjin is much smoother. :wtf:

Then we did some credit whoring on the Golden Horse spinner and the Wacky worm knock-off, did the shooting Santa dark ride and the bouncy kiddie ride. Shooting Santa dark ride is pure awesomeness!

We left the park at around 6:20 PM for Lei Garden which is the famous restaurant. They only got Michelin 1 star but it is already one of the best Chinese food I've ever had. Price was sky high but definitely worths a try.

Enjoy the pictures!
image.jpg
Entrance
image.jpg
Fountain!
image.jpg
Souvenir shop!
image.jpg
Plaza!
image.jpg
Top hat!
image.jpg
Track!
image.jpg
Twisted airtime hill!
image.jpg
More track! (This kind of description is getting silly)
image.jpg
People that are afraid of walking!
image.jpg
A super steep first drop with very nice airtime in the back.
image.jpg
Oh no this is never a good thing.
image.jpg
Long line!
image.jpg
More twisted airtime hill! This hill looks very sexy.
image.jpg
People in line for Bullet Coaster.
image.jpg
A bit of theming.
image.jpg
More flags, more fun, slower operation.
image.jpg
My favorite coaster element. It's been so long! I miss Outlaw Run!
image.jpg
A great first drop.
image.jpg
Some theming inside of the station.
image.jpg
Finally here comes a train.
image.jpg
I took like 100 pictures of it because I can't wait another 10 years to catch another train.
image.jpg
Wheeeee
image.jpg
Huge turnaround with funky lateral force.
image.jpg
Final helix!
image.jpg
Another train that I was lucky to spot thanks to the huge noise the launch makes.
image.jpg
Now it's time for some Vekoma spine readjustment.
image.jpg
Thank god there's a building for the queue line! It was 95 degrees outside when it's Snowvember in US.
image.jpg
Actually looks pretty nice for Happy Valley park's standard.
image.jpg
A mask in the river. Creepy.
image.jpg
Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch.
image.jpg
Let's get physical!
image.jpg
Can you tell it's in a queue line?
image.jpg
Powder Keg! This park gave me too many Silver Dollar City flash backs that I wanted to cry.
image.jpg
Now let's pick up some memory.
image.jpg
Empty queue line is always a good thing especially when they are running one train.
image.jpg
I see you!
image.jpg
The theming is nicely done.
image.jpg
Lift!
image.jpg
The little hill after this turnaround gives some nice floater air.
image.jpg
Here comes the happy riders!
image.jpg
Airtime in the tunnel!
image.jpg
Splash battle! Looks great but I don't feel like getting wet.
image.jpg
See? Very nicely done. But the tall buildings behind kinda ruins it.
image.jpg
Train!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Very wise! Sally managed to put their name here. Shooting Santa dark ride is a hilarious concept.
image.jpg
Now let's do some credit whoring.
image.jpg
But what a true credit whore would do is... Thumbs up on the front row! My cousins are too ashamed to do this with me.
image.jpg
The famous weird souvenir.
image.jpg
Thank for bringing us a better life!
image.jpg
Now we are here, Lei Garden. It's at Shenzhen's MIXC. There's a Ding Tai Fung in the mall as well.
image.jpg
It tastes so good! This is rib+orange+Ginger and some other delicious things.
image.jpg
Their most famous dish. Roast pork. The skin is super crunchy yet juicy.
image.jpg
This is a classic.
image.jpg
Now some desert.
image.jpg
Flash back to 2002, we had a lot of fun on this ride. I look bored but I was actually having a blast. Thank you Vekoma!

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:07 am

Nice shots! I'd really like to try one of those new S&S launched coasters. Too bad this one is rough (but it still looks like a really fun ride)
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:35 pm

^ It's not rough, it throws you around a lot. It's a strange feeling for steel coaster. Even the final helix throws you around. Can't say I like such experience but it's quite unique. The bouncing issue is no where near the B&M jackhammer, frequency is much lower and it feels like the train is doing very small jumping.

If RMC is doing launch woodie in the future, I would expect a Bullet Coaster with more even lateral, stronger airtime and no trim. Bullet Coaster somehow feels like a wooden coaster TBH.

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:01 am

Here are two photos of the Golden a Horse mine train at Happy Valley Tianjin.

Photos from RCD
image.jpg
image.jpg
Construction!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:22 pm

gerstlaueringvar wrote:^ It's not rough, it throws you around a lot. It's a strange feeling for steel coaster. Even the final helix throws you around. Can't say I like such experience but it's quite unique.

I don't think it was rough either. The reason I thought it was strange is because the back seat support was not contoured. Therefore my upper body was swaying side to side much more than normal on a steel coaster with a high seat back.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Previous

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive