Photo TR: Kings Dominion's Haunt 2014

Oooo, that's scary!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Kings Dominion's Haunt 2014

Postby cfc » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:41 pm

OrlandoGuy wrote:Really enjoyed this report! Question, though, are all the mazes the same between years? Aside from two shows, nothing new was added between this year and last year? Do they at least change the layouts or scares within each recycled maze?

Club Blood, Doll Factory, Slaughter House, Outbreak, No Vacancy, and Zombie High were pretty much the same. Corn Stalkers seemed a little different (more twists and turns).

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Nozzy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Nice pictures Chuck!

It was awesome to see you, as always. I have to agree that the Scareactors here seem to be much more entertaining than at Busch Gardens- I liked that the people in the mazes actually would talk to you or follow you around, while I feel like at Busch it's always the same "Get out!" that I don't even find to make much sense (as opposed to the Slaughterhouse Butchers imploring me to hang around for a while). Glad I finally got to experience all of the mazes KD has to offer.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks for the update, Chuck!

I'll finally be getting to the park for Halloween Haunt next Friday and Saturday to wrap up the season. I've heard mixed reviews for the return of Maze of Madness so I'm looking forward to checking it out for myself. I was always a big fan of The Asylum when others weren't.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:09 am

^The old Maze of Madness used to be in a tent full of fog, chain-link fence, and strobe lights. It was fun when the scareactors "worked" it by bouncing off and climbing on the fences. Asylum (and the new version of MOM) have higher "production values."

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby mhuffva » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:46 am

I thought the Club Blood maze had been changed around, especially the very first half of the maze. You used to walk all the way to the rear of the building, in what I called the "alleyway", before turning and going through the rest of the maze. Now, you only go about 1/2 way down the right side of the building before turning left toward the center. Wonder if that back right corner is the new Skeleton room?

The new facade for Club Blood looks great! Too bad it has to be so far from the actual building. With the haunt building being hidden so far back in the middle of Hurler, I assume the facade was placed at the beginning of the queue line to give it a more commanding presence at the end of the midway.

Zombie High's nice facade was placed much closer to its Haunt building. The park poured a new concrete pad for it to sit on and the school bus was moved to the front. I assume this was done to prevent the Zombie High and Club Blood facades from crowding out each other out in that area.

Ironworx scare-zone did receive a couple new prop pieces / sign on the end nearest the Eiffel Tower.

The folks in white are the park's new flash mob. They replaced the zombies dressed in black from the previous years of Haunt. These folks perform on International street, Old VA, and around the western end of Candy Apple Grove (Blood Drums stage area).

As Chuck stated, outside of "Maze of Madness", most mazes are the same. It seems the park focused more on entertainment this year with 3 new shows and the "new" flash mob.

New shows this year are "Eternal Jamnation: Lost Souls" at the Kings Dominion Theater. This show has a little story line to it and the cast is pretty good. Its much better than last years "Edge of Darkness". That poor show went over the edge and never came back!

On the International Street Bandstand is "Fright Night". This is the 1st Haunt show, at that location, that features LIVE VOCALS in the production as well as strong choreography. All the previous Haunt shows there were mainly a dance show with lip-synching.

Finally, the 3rd new show is "Skeleton Crew". This is performed on an temp stage near the entrance to Stunt Coaster in Safari Village. This is more of an acrobatic show with trampoline artists, cyr wheel, fire juggler, suspended silks performer. Pretty talented folks. The folks that produced this show is a French Canadian company out of Quebec. They are doing similar Haunt shows for 4 other Cedar Fair parks in the mid-west / northeast.

I've also heard nice things about the park's new Haunt VIP Meal prepared by the new park executive chef. This is a sit down 3-4 course meal in Kings Dominion's VIP dining room/lounge (above Starbucks). Served each Saturday, and now Sunday. I think next weekend is the last time to experience this meal. (I don't think the meal is offered the very last weekend of operations).

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:32 pm

They do a special meal at Dorney, but it's actually inside the dining room of one of the haunted houses.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Nice report. I think this is the only local park that I've never been to their Halloween event. Maybe next year...

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Great report Chuck! I'd like to visit the park during Haunt. It looks like they do pretty good job!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby johnychen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:00 am

Great report. I was just there last night. I did the skeleton key parts of the mazes also which the majority was just gross and not scary.
Native Houstonian, rocket scientist, mobile DJ, theme park enthusiast, geek, Youtuber, and community activist.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby mhuffva » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:37 am

cfc wrote:They do a special meal at Dorney, but it's actually inside the dining room of one of the haunted houses.

It seems that Cedar Fair is stepping up their game when it comes to food across the park chain. Some of the larger/most visited CF parks have had an executive chef for the last couple seasons. Parks like Carowinds and Kings Dominion hired their chefs this year. It appears that corporate wants more culinary oriented folks in the food & beverage departments.

At KD, Chef Paul was hired in June. He has tweaked a few things in the general park food service. Since he came in the middle of the high summer season, he has been limited in what he can do across the park for this year. I have heard rumors he really wants to kick things up for 2015.

Chef Paul has been creating food related special events late this summer and into the fall. He dabbled in an outdoor full service bistro on International Street (Bistro 75) in August. He did a one day event called "Tower Tastings" in September. He set up food on the lower observation deck and folks could buy a ticket to go up to the top of the tower to try the food out. I think he had 7-8 items to nosh on and Champagne shooters to wash the food down with. Course, he is now doing the Haunt VIP Meals on Sat & Sun.

There is a nice writeup on a site called CPFoodBlog. This is an unofficial site dedicated to the food service across the Cedar Fair chain (not just Cedar Point). There is a nice review of KD's 2nd Haunt VIP meal (and a link to the 1st KD Haunt meal preview/review). You might have to scroll down a little to get to KD's food entries.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive