Photo TR: Six Flags over Texas (Sept. 2014)

A great time at a good park.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Location: The center of the universe! (Virginians know what I'm talking about)

Photo TR: Six Flags over Texas (Sept. 2014)

Postby Schwarzillard » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:57 am

Hi, everyone! I know several of you have been hoping for a more recent trip report of Six Flags over Texas, and here it is. I visited the first day of fright fest, so crowds were very heavy. I ended up getting flag pass gold, which supposedly cuts the line in half. However, if you plan your times well enough, it can turn a 2 hr.+ wait into ten minutes. Also, I have to comment on the great customer service at the flash pass center. The lady at the booth saw I enjoyed the rides, but due to financial constraints, I opted not to pay the $30 extra for NTAG and Texas Skyscreamer. She then proceeded to get me a front of the line pass for NTAG! Talk about customer care! Now on to the review of the park and rides!

Overall:

As my first Six Flags Park, I wasn't really sure of what to expect. I had heard mostly God reviews of SFOT, but nothing too outstanding. I found the atmosphere to be much different than Cedar Fair's. It seemed more tacky, like they cared about bringing people in more than creating a great theme park. However, several of the rides were top notch. They really did a great job with them. I'll talk about that later. They did a good job theming the section around Runaway Mountain, Old South.
The food looked good, but I didn't really get anything to eat. I'll place my ride reviews in order from favorite to least favorite.

New Texas Giant

9.9/10 - RMC made an extremely smooth coaster with this one. Great transitions, great airtime, cool overbanked turns, and good theming in the station. Best coaster in the park, IMO.

Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast

8.5/10 - Intense launch, intense top hat, intense turns, this ride was intense, but fun intense. But even more intense was...

Batman: Backwards

8/10 - I actually came off with a minor headache after this one. That a good thing, in a way. This coaster delivers a great experience, and even after knowing the layout, I had no idea of what to expect.

Shockwave

7.8/10 - Great Schwarzkopf looper, crazy loops. The second and third drops have great air. I can see why this one is a bit of a "cult classic".

Runaway Mountain

7.5/10 - Wasn't sure of what to expect, but long story short, it was great. I don't want to squash the ride by saying this, but it was very short.

Superman: Tower of Power

6.9/10 - Actually tame. Drops had good air, launch good g forces. Even with the height, it wasn't that extreme.

Texas Skyscreamer

6.1/10 - An extreme Windseeker, although it didn't really seem 400 feet tall. The chains added a fun element.

Titan

5.9/10 - I'm not looking for a fight, I just didn't have a great experience with the ride. I sat 2nd to last row, and single seats kept opening up throughout the train. Being a single rider on this one, I asked both the ride op and person in the seat if I could ride. The rider said yes, and the op said "no, you have to wait for your seat." This was a nuisance for everyone I the line behind me as well, and caused them to wait an extra train (which was about 5 min. extra with the terrible operations they had). The ride was very good, though.

La Vibora

5.5/10 - A lot like Avalanche at Kings Dominion, but be warned. You hit the brake run HARD.

Judge Roy Scream

5.7/10 - This old woodie is showing its age, as the wood bends as the train enters the station. Otherwise, a good family ride.

Runaway Mine Train

3.5/10 - Nostalgic, but very rough and boring. Cool drop at the end, though.

If you skipped the reviews, this is where the photos come in. Also, I wasn't able to ride Pandemonium as the FrightFest event was starting, and lines were long even with FlashPass.

Thanks for reading, now for the photos!

IMG_1270.JPG
Poor Quality, but FlashPass is heavily recommended for busy days.

IMG_1267.JPG
After picking up FlashPass, we headed to Batman: Backwards.

IMG_1277.JPG
After that was Mr. Freeze.

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG
Something tells me there will be more emphasis on this store next year...

IMG_1268.JPG
Superman and Mine Train were after Mr. Freeze.

IMG_1279.JPG
Superman would have been bored..

IMG_1282.JPG
What's that peeking over the trees?

IMG_1280.JPG
It's subpar layout.. er.. Shockwave!

IMG_1281.JPG
No, seriously, this coaster is super smooth for its age.

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG
Oh Runaway Mountain, did your sign run away? Pun intended.

IMG_1264.JPG
Texas Giant's line was long...

IMG_1265.JPG
Good thing the Flash was looking out for me!

IMG_1286.JPG
The FrightFest Decorations were great!

20140927_170207.jpg
Another park, another Panda Express

20140927_170031.jpg
Yes, NTAG, I still see you.

IMG_1290.JPG
Time to start heading out.

20140927_103847.jpg
But not before rides on Skyscreamer...

20140927_103912.jpg
... And Judge Roy Scream! (These were the only pics I had)

IMG_1275.JPG
Bye, Aquaman, maybe next time..

IMG_1274.JPG
Bye, kiddie rides!

IMG_1276.JPG
Maybe one day Superman will approve...

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG
With that, a great day comes to an end.

Comments are appreciated! I'd love to hear your feedback for future TR's!
"A good Arrow Looper is like a needle in a haystack. Even if you find one you still get hurt."

Kings Dominion| BGW|SeaWorld Orlando| Disney World (all but MGM)| IOA | Dollywood | SFOT

Top 5: NTAG | I305 | Griffon | Batman Backwards | Apollo's Chariot

Re: Photo TR: Six Flags over Texas (Sept. 2014)

Postby Schwarzillard » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Here's some more photos (sorry for the double post):
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
20140927_170001.jpg
"A good Arrow Looper is like a needle in a haystack. Even if you find one you still get hurt."

Kings Dominion| BGW|SeaWorld Orlando| Disney World (all but MGM)| IOA | Dollywood | SFOT

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby ALT2870 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:12 pm

I was there yesterday as well, but for the evening instead. Definitely looked busy that day and the night wasn't much better I suppose. As for Titan it is a no because of the G's. They don't want you blacking out on those helix's.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:54 am

Thanks for posting! Not sure how I missed this report the first time around. How was Texas Giant running?

Postby Schwarzillard » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:45 pm

It Was running well! They were actually running 6 car trains when I went, so I wasn't able to see what it was like with 5. I found that when I rode in the front, it was definitely a solid ride. I'd rank it better than i305, just because I enjoy the layout more. I was also surprised at the theming. Not BGW quality, but extremely good for Six Flags. That also went for the whole park.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Nice report. Haven't been to the park in a long time, but I always have had a good time there. I need to go back for more Shockwave rides!

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

I've got the ASS Burgers

Postby BigBomer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Schwarzillard wrote:It Was running well! They were actually running 6 car trains when I went, so I wasn't able to see what it was like with 5. I found that when I rode in the front, it was definitely a solid ride. I'd rank it better than i305, just because I enjoy the layout more. I was also surprised at the theming. Not BGW quality, but extremely good for Six Flags. That also went for the whole park.

Good to hear, It was shuffling a this past August.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Sidra » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Nice report, I really want to get back to SFOT. We loved this park, it's big and flat and was just wonderful.

Postby Schwarzillard » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:45 pm

BigBomer wrote:Good to hear, It was shuffling a this past August.

The whole ride, or just parts? I noticed a bit less smoothness after the MCBR, but nothing that impacted the ride.

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive