Photo TR: Marcel's CEDARFANTASTIC summer and MORE!

Update 10/30: Halloweekends are here!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Photo TR: Marcel's CEDARFANTASTIC summer and MORE!

Postby Geauga Dog » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:50 pm

Hey Marcel, glad you've had a great summer at the Point and thanks for the photos. I was briefly out at the park last Saturday and saw you sitting at the entrance to Magnum. Would have said hi but didn't want to bother you.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby MagnumFreak25 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:21 pm

lol I was there last Saturday to but I didn't see you either. Still mad about not getting the last train of the day :x
Top 10:
El Toro, Boulder Dash, Magnum, Phantom, Maverick, Goliath (SFOG), Millenium, Nitro, Dragster, Storm Runner

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:24 am

Love our TR so much! Plus I really need to go back to Sandusky for all the food in your TR, they look so delicious! I look forward to work at an amusement park for a summer in the future :br

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby thepoint4life23 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:40 am

Good old Chipotle.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:51 pm

It was nice to meet you this past Friday night at Magnum, Marcel!

You are a stellar example of a what a Cedar Point employee should be...great smile, polite and very friendly. And I have really enjoyed reading your reports on how much fun you have been having in the USA! :)

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Great report. Extremely interesting to see a behind-the-scenes view of Cedar Point. How long are you planning on staying in the US? Will you be back at Cedar Point next season?
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby FreeFaller » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:49 pm

Philrad71 wrote:It was nice to meet you this past Friday night at Magnum, Marcel!

You are a stellar example of a what a Cedar Point employee should be...great smile, polite and very friendly. And I have really enjoyed reading your reports on how much fun you have been having in the USA! :)

Thanks a lot for your nice words! appreciate it!

Woodie Warrior wrote:Great report. Extremely interesting to see a behind-the-scenes view of Cedar Point. How long are you planning on staying in the US? Will you be back at Cedar Point next season?

I will be in America until late November, but I'm not planning on working at Cedar Point next season. I have different plans for next year.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby FreeFaller » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:06 am

Hello TPR members!

I finally found some time to give you another update of my cedarfantastic summer! Halloweekends are pretty busy, especially on Saturdays which is the reason why I give you an update during the week, because that's when I have time :D

Today's update is not about any roller coaster or theme park, but about my trip to Washington D.C. which I won because of an essay contest. I don't know if you guys know that I had to contact an American agency that is sponsoring my visa before coming to the U.S.. In my case it is CIEE. This agency organized a Civic Leadership summit in Washington D.C. where we did workshops and meetings about how to be a change maker in our country. Since I'm doing a cultural exchange program by working and living in the U.S., they wanted us to get a better understanding of how we could improve bad conditions in our country, all by learning from people from all over the world. They picked around 60 people out of 900 applicants and sent them to Washington D.C. All the costs were covered, so we didn't have to pay for any flight, accommodation or food. The leadership summit took place at American University, which means that we experienced the American University life as well. Each applicant had to write an essay or make a video to be selected. I decided to write an essay and I would love you to read my essay! :) I think I did a great job, especially because every word in this essay reflects my understanding of gaining an international experience. Theme Park Review is and will be forever a big part of my life since it connected me to so many people from all around the world. We all have the same passion: Theme Parks and Roller Coasters, and sharing a passion is one of the best things you can do in life. Making new friendships that last for a lifetime is amazing.

Enjoy my cultural roller coaster ride throughout the United States!

Cultural roller coaster ride through the United States of America

A roller coaster train is going up a 500* feet tall roller coaster. On board: numerous passengers from all around the world. Their destination? America, the land of unlimited opportunity and freedom. Their mission? Sharing their culture with American citizens by working and living in the U.S. Right in the middle you can find one student: Marcel Strobel, a German roller coaster riding world traveler who is ready to start this thrilling cultural ride. All these people have one thing in common when they look down the lift hill: They are leaving their home country to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity: Being part of the CIEE Work & Travel program to acquire intercultural knowledge of both the American and other nations’ cultures. While looking back, everybody is bringing back memories why he or she dared to take this step into a cultural exchange…

Marcel is thinking about his passion: riding roller coasters all over the world. Since he was a child, he has been dreaming of traveling the world to experience the most terrifying thrills, some of which you can only find in America, like the worlds highest and fastest roller coaster. He did not want to travel alone. He has always felt the urge to share these stunning and nerve-racking roller coaster rides with other people, preferably with people from all over the world. Thanks to his membership in the American roller coaster club Theme Park Review, he was able to make this dream come true and travel the United States with other coaster enthusiasts from all around the globe in summer last year: Americans, Germans, Dutch citizens, Canadians, New Zealanders, Australians, Chinese citizens. They all were highly interested in sharing their passion for roller coasters. Thanks to this experience, Marcel became part of a cultural roller coaster exchange community and had the opportunity to share his German roller coaster career with citizens from all around the world.
His career in this industry has not come to an end yet. CIEE fulfilled Marcel’s biggest life goal: Working and living at Cedar Point, which was voted the best amusement park in the world for 16 years in a row. Starting the Work & Travel program at Cedar Point will allow Marcel to be part of a team which runs a multi-million-dollar business in America. It will be a great honor to Marcel to place his passion for roller coasters and theme parks at Cedar Point’s disposal. Since Marcel will work in a roller coaster crew which consists of both local and international employees, it will guarantee Marcel to make multicultural friendships that last for a lifetime. Besides that, he wants to learn about life in a foreign country and develop himself both personally and professionally.

The train has finally reached the top of the lift hill. All its passengers including Marcel are now facing the first drop, leaving behind their old life and looking forward to a cultural exchange ride of ups and downs, twists and turns and inversions that will make the passengers see the world from a different point of view. They all know that once they arrive in the station, their life will be different: They will have experienced new cultures, made new friendships and have a fantastic consciousness of the American and many other cultures! Fasten your seatbelt, put down your lap bar and hold on tight for this stunning cultural roller coaster ride called Work & Travel in the U.S. (copyright Marcel Strobel)
IMG_1362.jpg
Everybody I met this summer has to write into my Marcel The Shell book! :D
IMG_1402.jpg
Ready to fly!
IMG_1405.JPG
Besides me, there were a couple of other CP employees that went to Washington D.C.
IMG_1408.jpg
Waiting for boarding!
IMG_1414.jpg
Marcel the shell is in the...
IMG_1415.jpg
...smallest airplane ever! :D
IMG_1418.jpg
Flying high!
IMG_1423.jpg
We landed!
IMG_1429.jpg
But first, let me take a selfie!
IMG_1431.jpg
Beautiful airport!
IMG_1436.jpg
Cosi was so delicious! Best thing: I didn't have to pay for it!
IMG_1439.JPG
CIEE was picking us up when we landed!
IMG_1441.jpg
We got water bottles and I wrote my ride on it: Magnum XL 200
IMG_1445.JPG
American University is really fancy!
IMG_1446.jpg
The New York Times was replaced by a cheap Pizza flyer!
IMG_1450.jpg
Who can say no to food?
IMG_1451.jpg
Checking in to our dorms!
IMG_1453.JPG
Dinner time!
IMG_1460.jpg
Marcel from Germany is taking part of the...
IMG_1463.jpg
...CIEE Leadership Summit in 2014!
IMG_1464.JPG
American University is really beautiful. That's why only the rich kids can study here.
IMG_1468.JPG
Group selfie!
IMG_1475.JPG
All the participants of this year's Leadership summit
IMG_5855.JPG
Best group ever!
IMG_5858.JPG
Worth a group selfie!
IMG_5859.JPG
Study hard!
IMG_5870.JPG
Friends from all over the world!
IMG_5874.JPG
Crazy people!
IMG_5883.JPG
After school craziness!
IMG_5884.JPG
What's up?
IMG_5887.JPG
I love my friends!
IMG_5898.jpg
Hair extensions :D
IMG_5914.jpg
Crazy Marcel!
IMG_1491.JPG
Me and the president Tara Abrahams from Girl Rising! Very good movie!
IMG_1521 2.JPG
Sight seeing time!
IMG_1524.JPG
Jumping in front of the Capitol!
IMG_1548.jpg
Another Capitol selfie!
IMG_1535.jpg
I'm right here!
IMG_1521.JPG
Looks like a white house!
IMG_1578.JPG
Mh, is that the White house?
IMG_1587.JPG
White House selfie!
IMG_1566.jpg
Serious tourist photo!
10604656_10154605663000438_3393830579744255871_o.jpg
National Library
IMG_1526.jpg
Tourists wherever you look!
IMG_1602.jpg
Hello! I'm in Washington D.C.
IMG_1677.jpg
Jumping high!
IMG_1691.jpg
Martin Luther King memorial!
IMG_1697.JPG
Fancy Carmines
IMG_1539.jpg
Look at that cheesecake! Yummy!!!!
IMG_1542.jpg
We had a fancy dinner at Carmines! So good!
IMG_1559.jpg
Too many people in one cab! :D
10329663_10154605678895438_4322765523063654219_o.jpg
U.S. excitement
IMG_1581.jpg
Ready to fly back to Cleveland!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:06 am

Keep the updates coming! It seems like you had a heck of a summer.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:12 am

You had the best summer I've ever known! DC looks fantastic, especially with those food :lover: Can't wait to read the next part or your amazing summer, have fun at CP! :br

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive