Photo TR: Almost a Week in Pigeon Forge

More Dollywood! Pictures! Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Photo TR: Almost a Week in Pigeon Forge

Postby zachclarke2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:31 pm

^ I personally would consider them credits because they have a lift, are gravity powered, and are on a track. But obviously it's totally up to the individual person. I can see why someone wouldn't count it.

I wouldn't consider an alpine slide a credit, for what that's worth.
Last edited by zachclarke2 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:46 pm.
Check out my photography! ----------> click
And my videos! ----------> click

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:34 pm

At this point, I think it comes down to one's opinion of what's a "real" roller coaster. It has track, lift hill, cars, a boarding station... what says it's not? The terrain? The fact it can never go uphill? Personally, I'd count it. :Pr I'm sure more than half of active members here are credit whores in certain levels anyways!
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

What I do and who I am

Postby pianojohn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Great pics and report! Very refreshing to read a well thought out report with no grammatical errors or unnecessary CAPITALIZATION!
Also very subtle watermark on your pics.

Looking forward to many more!

Postby zachclarke2 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:04 pm

pianojohn wrote:Great pics and report! Very refreshing to read a well thought out report with no grammatical errors or unnecessary CAPITALIZATION!
Also very subtle watermark on your pics.

Looking forward to many more!

Thanks!

Sunday afternoon, during a gap in the rain, I decided to go back to Dollywood for a couple of hours before dinner in hopes of getting some video. Sucks for me, all of the rides were closed due to lightning. For lack of something better to do, I decided to go towards the back of the park and take some pictures of Wild Eagle's station.

I'm glad I did, because after a few minutes of walking around the station, the ride crew let me on to the platform to chat and take some pictures. I didn't have a lot of time there, but I managed to talk to some of the crew and get a few pictures. I was having facts and ride stats thrown at me nonstop it seemed. Almost all of the trains' electronic aspects were explained to me in depth, but admittedly I don't remember most of them. I may have only been in the park for a little over an hour, and I may have not gotten any of the things I went for, but I would definitely say it was more than worth my visit.

Of course, my luck, rides would be opening at pretty much the exact instant I had to leave. Oh well. I'd still have another 3 days at the park anyway, so who am I to complain?

I have no idea if any of the crew will ever read this, but I want to thank them for being so kind and hospitable.

Here's my pictures. The quality isn't quite as good as some of the others I've posted, but they aren't too bad.
DSC_0039-2.jpg
Wild Eagle's station has got to be the most elegant and beautiful rollercoaster station I've ever seen. I should have a few more pictures of it later in the report...
DSC_0068-2.jpg
DSC_0074-2.jpg
DSC_0076.JPG
DSC_0078-2.jpg
I was told all about these electronics. Unfortunately I don't remember enough to thoroughly explain it again. Sorry about that.
DSC_0080-2.jpg
DSC_0081-2.jpg
It's interesting how the track of a wing coaster more or less just sits on the platform in the station, as opposed to being beneath it. Obviously this is because the track and seats are level with each other.

Thanks for reading, next update will be Ober Gatlinburg.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Firechaser » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:45 pm

When did they change the Que to Wild Eagle because last year it wasn't like walking through a forest. I really need to go I have a season pass and only used it on Veterans Day Last Year!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby finkster » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:57 pm

awesome pictures...Love Dollywood and Pigeon Forge. :lmao:

Postby zachclarke2 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:16 pm

^Thanks!

On Monday morning I went to Ober Gatlinburg. There are no coasters, as it's a mountain ski resort. According to the brochure I got however, they are apparently opening an alpine coaster in the fall. I didn't see any construction so I'm not sure where it's being built.

Unlike most parks, this one allows you to take a cable tram to the top. You can drive there as well, I believe, but I can't imagine that being nearly as interesting. I've been on one of these in Vancouver before so it wasn't frightening for me at all. It's a very smooth ride actually. The swinging when you cross the towers just makes it more fun. ;)

The park is very small. There's only a few rides. Among them: an alpine slide, several chairlifts, a maze, a kiddie motorcycle ride, and a few water raft slides. Everything was fairly expensive, so I could only justify riding the alpine slide. Aside from the rides, there were a few ski slopes, and a mall type area with an ice skating rink. Not a lot of the shops were open, but I did end up buying a shirt and postcards from their general merchandise store.

The alpine slide was unfortunately not everything I hoped it would be. No seatback on the sled was fairly uncomfortable with me being 6'2. I could feel every piece of concrete with intense bumps. My pov of the slide was useless more or less for that reason. However, since I was the first person to ride when it opened, there was no one in front slowing me down. The slide goes pretty fast (it feels fast, at least) and there were moments I was legitimately concerned about flipping off the track.

On to the pictures:
DSC_0029-2.jpg
The tram stop at the bottom.
DSC_0034-2.jpg
And this is at the top. I only saw one person on the rink while I was there. I saw at least a couple decent wipeouts.
DSC_0037-2.jpg
This is the first thing you see when you exit the mall into the park. It looked like fun, but I didn't ride. Also, I'm not sure if it's noticeable in the picture, but the ride uses an elevator lift system to transport the rafts to the top, as opposed to a conveyor belt lift.
DSC_0052-2.jpg
DSC_0056-2.jpg
The alpine slide wouldn't be opening until about 45 minutes after we arrived, so I strolled in and out of the mall a couple of times in search for things to photograph.
DSC_0060-2.jpg
You have to take this lift to get to the alpine slide. Guests are given the option to get off halfway and take the slide down, or ride all the way to the top and then take the lift down. My uncle rode to the top and told me there was an 'alright bluegrass band'.
DSC_0061-2.jpg
There were a few other chairlifts at the park but I assume those only run in the winter.
DSC_0070-2.jpg
Around the corner and down the hill from the chairlift platform is a blacktop with a kiddie motorcycles and 2 water rides. The exit for the alpine slide is also down there.
DSC_0072-2.jpg
DSC_0078-2.jpg
Most of the slide was visible from the lift.
DSC_0085-2.jpg
DSC_0092-2.jpg
The view from the top tram station.
DSC_0094-2.jpg
I apologize for not having any pictures of the trams in action...it seems I didn't quite have the patience at the time. This is from the Gatlinburg (ground) station.
DSC_0096-2.jpg
The park sign and what I can only assume is one of the old tram cars. Thanks for looking! It's all Dollywood pictures through the end of the report.

Postby zachclarke2 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:07 pm

No love for Ober Gatlinburg? Alrighty then, later that day I went to Dollywood if you can believe it.

In addition to the photographs, I managed to create offride videos of Thunderhead and Firechaser Express. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but they are very well shot and worth a watch. Be sure to watch in HD.

DSC_0111-2.jpg
Back in the park for day 3. I must say the entrance looks very nice, the greenery everywhere really makes it much more beautiful than it already is.
DSC_0114-2.jpg
This is where people go...to get season passes?? (make up your own captions)
DSC_0117-2.jpg
DSC_0118-2.jpg
I have no idea what 180 means.
DSC_0119-2.jpg
It's apparent that the park puts major effort into theming the ride stations. They all looked fabulous.
DSC_0130-2.jpg
The ride was only running one train, so filming was a bit slower than I'd hoped for. But with the great ops at the park, it really didn't take that long.
DSC_0134-2.jpg
Unfortunately nearby lightning caused all the rides to temporarily shut down when I only needed about 3 more Thunderhead shots.
DSC_0137.JPG
So I walked back to Firechaser, the other coaster I intended on filming. I'm not sure of the significance of "number 3."
DSC_0138-2.jpg
This firetruck was a real nice touch, however.
DSC_0139-2.jpg
Everything around the ride was a real nice touch.
DSC_0145-2.jpg
It would be about 30 minutes before anything reopened, so I tried to improvise.
DSC_0146-2.jpg
DSC_0151-2.jpg
I must say the trains for this ride look amazing. Not unlike every other coaster train at the park. Well, maybe not Sideshow Spin, however that one is interesting.
DSC_0153-2.jpg
I love how they re-purposed some of the Adventure Mountain towers. It would be cool to go up into one to take pictures of the ride.
DSC_0155-2.jpg
DSC_0156-2.jpg
If you're unsure about fitting on the ride, PLEASE use this first!!! I'm not sure if I recall any walks of shame on Firechaser, but there were /tons/ on Mystery Mine and it /really/ slowed the dispatch times.
DSC_0159-2.jpg
Finally the ride reopened. This launch may not look like much, but it has some force and is actually a lot of fun. The backwards launch feels a bit more intense than this one.
DSC_0161-2.jpg
Another one of the towers ended up being used for a ride plaza entrance structure. The coaster travels through it as well, but that should be obvious.
DSC_0162-2.jpg
DSC_0166-2.jpg
DSC_0169-2.jpg
Notice the zipliner towards the left of the photo.

After I finished filming Firechaser, I went back and got what I needed of Thunderhead, then rode for an hour before leaving. Thanks for reading.

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Nice videos! It's cool to see thunderhead's track swaying was the train goes by.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Postby zachclarke2 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks, probably my favorite part of filming woodies with a tripod is that it really shows how much the structure sways when a train passes.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive