Switch to full style
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Post a reply

Re: Photo TR: Almost a Week in Pigeon Forge

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Some of these pictures are so good they could be on the Dollywood website.
Like, literally, you should email Dollywood about that Wild Eagle picture that someone commented on earlier, and most of the others.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:35 pm

I must say I had sky high expectations going to the park, as I had visited Silver Dollar City just last year, and that blew me away. Well Dollywood managed to blow me away yet again. The attention to detail in every aspect of the park is incredible. Not only is it a Theme Park, it is a park with a theme appropriate to the region it's in. Every single staff member was over the top friendly and accommodating. And not fake-friendly like Chick-fil-A, this was genuine southern hospitality, at its finest. I thoroughly enjoyed the 5 major coasters, and each one surprised me more than the last. After hearing glowing reviews of Tennessee Tornado, I expected it to be good, for an Arrow. Well, it was not only good for an Arrow, but I enjoyed it more than any B&M looper I've been on even. WOW! The food was quite excellent as well, but there was not as much variety as Silver Dollar City.

I could go on and on about the park, but I think Zach has done a pretty good job with that. I just can't wait to get back to the Great Smoky Mountains.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:27 am

Spectacular photos. I love that last one of the mill and the photos of the wheel.

It's nice to see Mystery Mine get some love too. After riding it last year I put it on my top 10 list and was surprised to see all of the complaints about roughness. I don't find the ride rough at all and the theming is outstanding for a non Disney / Universal park. I think it also has the best finale of any coaster not named El Toro.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:34 am

Stunning photos. I would love to visit this park.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:12 am

Great photos. I really need to get down to Dollywood one of these days. I always hear from everyone about how great it is. Might even give my beloved holidayworld a run for its money as my favorite park.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Dollywood is truly a spectacular park and is one of my favorite places - ANYWHERE.

Better than Kumba???? - naahh ;) =)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Midgetman82 wrote:I'm looking forward to my first trip to Dollywood one day. I've heard nothing but rave reviews of the park, and would love to see for myself how awesome it is! Amazing photos, by the way! I especially love the Wild Eagle and ferris wheel shots!

Thank you! It's a fantastic park that needs to be visited by every enthusiast at least once. I'm already planning on going back next year around winter time, actually. I would love to see your pictures of the park, you take great ones!
Her0ofLime wrote:Some of these pictures are so good they could be on the Dollywood website.
Like, literally, you should email Dollywood about that Wild Eagle picture that someone commented on earlier, and most of the others.

I'm not sure they would be able to do anything with them, but thanks for the compliment. :)
WildStangAlex wrote:I must say I had sky high expectations going to the park, as I had visited Silver Dollar City just last year, and that blew me away. Well Dollywood managed to blow me away yet again. The attention to detail in every aspect of the park is incredible. Not only is it a Theme Park, it is a park with a theme appropriate to the region it's in. Every single staff member was over the top friendly and accommodating. And not fake-friendly like Chick-fil-A, this was genuine southern hospitality, at its finest. I thoroughly enjoyed the 5 major coasters, and each one surprised me more than the last. After hearing glowing reviews of Tennessee Tornado, I expected it to be good, for an Arrow. Well, it was not only good for an Arrow, but I enjoyed it more than any B&M looper I've been on even. WOW! The food was quite excellent as well, but there was not as much variety as Silver Dollar City.

I could go on and on about the park, but I think Zach has done a pretty good job with that. I just can't wait to get back to the Great Smoky Mountains.

I 100% agree with all this. I had high hopes and I was blown away in every single way possible.
coasterbill wrote:Spectacular photos. I love that last one of the mill and the photos of the wheel.

It's nice to see Mystery Mine get some love too. After riding it last year I put it on my top 10 list and was surprised to see all of the complaints about roughness. I don't find the ride rough at all and the theming is outstanding for a non Disney / Universal park. I think it also has the best finale of any coaster not named El Toro.

Thank you! I don't keep a top 10 anymore, but I'm torn on whether or not Mystery Mine would be in it. However, I wouldn't be lying if I said all 5 of the bigger coasters would be in my top 25 (or so, idk).
boldikus wrote:Stunning photos. I would love to visit this park.

Thanks, you should definitely visit. Like, right now. Go.
x2isawesome wrote:Great photos. I really need to get down to Dollywood one of these days. I always hear from everyone about how great it is. Might even give my beloved holidayworld a run for its money as my favorite park.

I personally liked the park a lot more than Holiday World, but that's just from a 'park' standpoint, if that makes any sense at all. I have yet to attend Holiwood Nights but if I did I imagine I would have a much higher opinion of the park.
jynx242 wrote:Dollywood is truly a spectacular park and is one of my favorite places - ANYWHERE.

Better than Kumba???? - naahh ;) =)

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Sunday morning had a pretty significant downpour, with occasional breaks. We decided to go to the Muscle Car museum and Knifeworks as they were indoor and away from the rain. The Muscle Car museum was interesting and had a ton of displays, while Knifeworks may not have been the best thing to go do. It seems reasonable enough to realize I don't fit in with the 'knife and gun' crowd, so I'm honestly not sure why I thought it was a good idea.

After lunch, the rain more or less cleared, so we went to check out the new Smokey Mountain Alpine Coaster. It's only about a 10 minute drive west of Dollywood. It's moderately expensive ($15 for a single ride), as it's a standalone attraction. The line was about 25 minutes for my first ride and a little shorter for the second.

I added it to my credit list. Hate me.

It was a lot of fun actually, there's a big sense of out-of-control feeling that you don't get on larger coasters, despite the fact you never go above 30 mph. It's built on the side of the mountain so the track rarely gets above 10 or so feet off the ground. It's a ton of fun, I enjoyed myself immensely, and feel like I got my money's worth (shocking). My only peeve with the ride is that it's not idiot proof, so occasionally there will be someone who slows down to almost a stop. My uncle was caught behind one of those people on the first run, and he seemed fairly upset about it. Luckily neither of us had that problem on the second ride.

I hope more of these start appearing in the states. The fact that there are already 3 more planned to open in that area by next year is really promising (Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Ober Gatlinburg). There's one at Wisp Resort in Maryland that I'll pass if I make my way to CP next year, so if I head up I'll definitely stop.

Here's a (mounted!) POV I got of my first ride, with permission of course. Sorry about the raindrops on the lens, but on my second ride it was raining a bit harder and my footage was just useless. Be sure to watch in HD:

Attachments
DSC_0028-2.jpg
This is more or less all you could see of it from the ground. It's the only picture I got because it started to rain and I didn't want to get my camera wet. Sorry!
DSC_0028-2.jpg (414.29 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
Last edited by zachclarke2 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:33 pm.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:21 pm

*Sigh* - It was all going so well and then we found out you were a filthy credit whore ;)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:24 pm

Good POV! I found out quite recently that there is an alpine coaster two hours away from where I live, have to check it soon. So, a question for you all, can these be considered credits? No? I'm just curious.
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS