Photo TR: Almost a Week in Pigeon Forge

More Dollywood! Pictures! Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Re: Photo TR: Almost a Week in Pigeon Forge

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:32 am

Great photos! Love the park. I did go to Ober one time, mainly because for some reason my Aunt and Uncle wanted to visit up there. It was in October so nothing was really running except for the ski lift and the cement-Alpine Slide. It was kinda fun. Glad to hear you loved DW
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:53 am

I visited Ober Gatlinburg in 2009 for a family reunion. I found it really nice, and loved the European feel it had (which made me want to travel to Europe even more). The alpine slides were alright, apart from feeling super steep at one moment. Oh, and though nobody mentions about the town at the bottom of the cable car lift, many of the stuff down there it is a definite tourist trap to be avoided.

Great videos, by the way!
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Elissa + Hangman Fanboy

Postby FlippyTrick09 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:25 pm

What type of camera do you use? (Could not see where anyone else has asked, but forgive me if they have!)

I think the pictures of the Ferris Wheel are my favorite. I love the long exposure effect - it gives such a neat view of the lighting cycles. Great TR! I hope to see many more!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby zachclarke2 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:06 pm

^^&^^^ Thanks! Ober definitely felt European and even a bit outdated, and there was hardly anything to do. However whenever I do get back to the area I see myself returning for the alpine coaster. Nothing more though.

^I use a Nikon D3100. I hope to upgrade the body within the next few months but it's a great camera. Does what it should and doesn't complain about it. ;) Long exposure pictures are some of my favorites to shoot, I can change the shutter even just a little and sometimes get wildly different results. It's fun to play around with.

I'll probably upload what pictures I have left sometime within the next 2 or 3 days or so.
Check out my photography! ----------> click
And my videos! ----------> click

Postby zachclarke2 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Sorry about the lack of update, I've been busy with the first week of school.

I filmed 2 more videos on day 4 (be sure to watch in HD):

And here's pictures from day 4:
DSC_0028-2.jpg
DSC_0033-2.jpg
I must say I do believe GCI makes the most elegant looking rides. These fan turns are especially beautifully crafted.
DSC_0034-2.jpg
DSC_0039-2.jpg
I never stopped to listen to what the vulture was saying, but many people seemed to be amused by it.
DSC_0042-2.jpg
Line? What line?
DSC_0043-2.jpg
I hate all the stairs on Mystery Mine, but the view from the top of them is pretty nice.
DSC_0048-2.jpg
Doesn't this park know how to maintain a building?
DSC_0057-2.jpg
DSC_0063-2.jpg
Wild Eagle's entrance area is one of the most gorgeous I've ever seen. The entire ride is about flawless if you ask me.
DSC_0068-2.jpg
There's a good view of Firechaser from the station.
DSC_0069-2.jpg
DSC_0071-2.jpg
Passing Firechaser Express...
DSC_0073-2.jpg
Firechaser can be seen from Tornado's queue as well.
DSC_0082-2.jpg
Lots of Tornado pictures in the next set. I guarantee it.
DSC_0084-2.jpg
The eagle statue is beautiful in every aspect. I couldn't seem to get over how huge it was; it's much larger in person than it looks in photos.
DSC_0088.JPG
One of my favorite pictures from the trip.
DSC_0089-2.jpg
The lift hill is the only part of the ride visible from the entrance, but most of the layout is visible with some searching (Slidewinder queue for example).
DSC_0094-2.jpg
DSC_0095-2.jpg
Back at Mystery Mine to film some video (above).
DSC_0097-2.jpg
Lines were pretty horrendous throughout the trip.
DSC_0098-2.jpg
DSC_0099-2.jpg
DSC_0103-2.jpg
Even the queue is well themed.
DSC_0114-2.jpg
Next update will be the last. Thanks for looking.

Postby zachclarke2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Time to finish the thread I guess. Here's the last batch of pictures.
DSC_0028-2.jpg
DSC_0040-2.jpg
DSC_0044-2.jpg
The final turn has a surprising amount of lateral force. I killed my knee on the first ride.
DSC_0047-2.jpg
The little touches like this in the queue line are great.
DSC_0053-2.jpg
DSC_0058-2.jpg
DSC_0069-2.jpg
Barnstormer is the park's S&S swing. It only ran one side at a time all week, but the side that they ran alternated each day.
DSC_0073-2.jpg
I assume running one side at a time saves a massive amount of energy, and it really didn't matter because the ride didn't have a line all week.
DSC_0080.JPG
I didn't ride the ferris wheel. I hate these small 'fair' ones.
DSC_0083-2.jpg
Interesting trains.
DSC_0090-2.jpg
DSC_0095-2.jpg
DSC_0096-2.jpg
DSC_0100-2.jpg
DSC_0105-2.jpg
Poor topple tower.
DSC_0114-2.jpg
I guess it wasn't busy enough, because whenever I requested a certain row they gave it to me.
DSC_0119-2.jpg
My new favorite part of any coaster ever. This finale is seriously amazeballs.
DSC_0124-2.jpg
DSC_0126-2.jpg
DSC_0145.JPG
DSC_0149-2.jpg
DSC_0150-2.jpg
DSC_0161-2.jpg
DSC_0168-2.jpg
DSC_0172-2.jpg
I imagine this area will look even nicer when the wild flowers take it over.
DSC_0181-2.jpg
The front row expressions more or less match what mine was on my first ride. The final hill into the break run provided some admittedly terrifyingly sudden ejector airtime.
DSC_0184-2.jpg
DSC_0187-2.jpg
The tree blocks the loop. It's hard to get a picture of it that really shows how massive it is.
DSC_0188-2.jpg
The banking of the loop is a bit strange in that there's lateral forces in the entry and exit. There's great hangtime at the top as well.
DSC_0192-2.jpg
DSC_0210-2.jpg
On my depressing final walk to the park exit I grabbed one more photo of the statue.
DSC_0216-2.jpg
And one of Mystery Mine. That's it for my TR. Thanks for reading.

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:10 am

Great pictures!
zachclarke2 wrote:The banking of the loop is a bit strange in that there's lateral forces in the entry and exit. There's great hangtime at the top as well.

Ah! I had noticed that watching some POVs but don't remember anyone saying that here. It looks like there is an odd turn at the top.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Previous

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive