TPR's 2014 Scandinavia Tour according to Gary

Day 2.4: Christiansborg Palace, Part 2-Ruins & Royal Stables
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

TPR's 2014 Scandinavia Tour according to Gary

Postby carolinacaniac » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:24 am

Hello everyone!

Welcome to my trip report of the 2014 Scandinavia Tour from Theme Park Review. This tour was truly one of the best experiences I have ever had, and am glad that I was able to be a part of it. Robb and Elissa have never failed to do an amazing job of putting together amazing trips. If you ever consider planning a trip similar to this of your own, I would bet that they may have some great tips and information to make the most of it, as they have shown an excellence in trip planning over the years.

Now for this trip, this was my first time leaving the North American Continent (other than a trip to Hawai'i in 1996, but that is just the Tropical U.S. if you will), and so being a former social studies teacher and a fan of many disciplines of social studies, I was really looking forward to this trip! I had intentionally added a couple days before the TPR Tour began and an extra day after to explore both Copenhagen and Helsinki a little bit more. So the first few updates will focus in large part on these cultural adventures that were had with my tour roommate, Jeff.

But like any other trip, you have to get there first, so let us start with the beginning:

Day Zero: Journey to Copenhagen

We first begin in a little place called Florida......
001.jpg
Got my bags all packed and ready to head to Orlando International!
002.jpg
The first flight will take us to Washington-Dulles airport....yeah new airport credit!!!
003.jpg
Ready to fly!
004.jpg
Were we are now.....
005.jpg
...and about half-way up the east coast is where we will go!
007.jpg
Taking off
008.jpg
Time to say bye to Orlando! see you again in about three weeks!
021.jpg
How true that statement is for meat this time....but we have some time to kill here in Dulles so let's wonder.
009.jpg
First time in the Washington DC area in about 3 years, and I see that they have this...if only Dulles wasn't such a pain to get back to from the city, this would have been a nice way to kill the 6-hour layover.
010.jpg
These have got to be the most bizarre things I have ever seen to be used to transport people around an airport.
011.jpg
It's like they took subway cars and made monster trucks with them!
012.jpg
But what visit to Washington DC would be complete without a visit to a shop with presidential gifts?
013.jpg
I approve of this t-shirt!
014.jpg
Just so happened that as I was at the airport, so were members of the DC United soccer team on their way to a road match.
015.jpg
Walking through the international departures hall, you will find flags for many nations of the world, including one on this tour....Germany
016.jpg
I also found three more of the flags representing our tour destinations. Norway, Sweden and Denmark (unfortunately they did not have a flag for Finland).
017.jpg
And this is where we are going first!
018.jpg
But as the time draws near for this flight, it's time to say bye to my home nation for a while....so long America.
022.jpg
Back at the gate, and ready to go to Copenhagen! This would be the longest flight I have ever taken, but at 7.5 hours, it is only a bit more than my previous longest (Boston to Seattle in 6 hours).
023.jpg
The Scandinavian Airlines plane that will take us to Copenhagen.
024.jpg
And my seat for the duration of the journey. Glad I picked an aisle seat as I didn't really care to sit for long periods of time when I wasn't napping.
025.jpg
So here we are, about to take off from Dulles...
026.jpg
...and this is where we will be going.
027.jpg
Yep, that is our destination
028.jpg
And away we go! This was actually a really cool feature on the plane, where they had a camera on the bottom of the plane so you could see outside even without a window seat.
029.jpg
They also had a front camera as well, which really didn't show much of anything for most of the flight until the end as you will see later.
030.jpg
And here we have one last look at American Soil. Pretty soon it would just be clouds or water for a while on the bottom camera view.
031.jpg
So two hours into this flight, and still excited!!!!
032.jpg
....three hours, and starting to loose the excitement a bit...
033.jpg
....after four hours I started to get a little stir crazy......
034.jpg
....but five hours it comes back!!!!......Okay, so those were really a span of about a minute and a half after about two hours on the flight, but hey, you have to keep yourself entertained somehow, right? :)
035.jpg
And now, for the great intercontinental leap...A good time for a nap.
036.jpg
Couple hours of shut eye later, and we are almost across the Atlantic.
037.jpg
By this point already, I am sure this is further from home than I have been before.
038.jpg
A look as the sun begins to rise. I love these kinds of views from onboard a plane.
039.jpg
And now we are over land again....
040.jpg
Hello Scotland! I hope to come and see you sometime in the future!
041.jpg
And this is where the excitement really starts, as we are about to land and I can take my first steps on a new continent!
043.jpg
The view below the plane.
044.jpg
Hello Denmark! I can't wait to explore you!
045.jpg
Another view of a small Danish town.
046.jpg
And here we begin our final approach.
047.jpg
I sure hope the pilot doesn't cut it short! I didn't bring my swim shorts with me!
048.jpg
Getting closer........
049.jpg
......and we made it!!
050.jpg
Pulling up to the terminal.....
051.jpg
and just like that, I can proclaim....."Holy S**t!!! I am in Europe!!"
052.jpg
And after a brief question and a stamp, I am legally granted access to Denmark!
053.jpg
Thank you Carlsberg for the greeting!!!
054.jpg
So I saw Carlsberg signs everywhere, which leads me to believe that Carlsberg is to Denmark what Budweiser is the United States, only Carlsberg isn't melted yellow snow.
055.jpg
Next stop after customs was to pick up my Copenhagen Card, which included admission to several museums and attractions, as well as the use of their public transportation.
056.jpg
So now that we have arrived, it's time to hop on the train and head for Copenhagen Central. On the next update, we will catch up with Jeff and head over to Roskilde to visit the Viking Ship Museum!!
Last edited by carolinacaniac on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:09 am.
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: TPR's 2014 Scandinavia Tour according to Gary

Postby jiffy1969 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:26 am

Yay! I can't wait to meet this mysterious Jeff you keep mentioning. He sounds awesome!

Postby carolinacaniac » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:50 am

Since I still had some time today, I went ahead and got everything ready to do the next update, so here it is......

Day 1.1: Roskilde and the Viking Ship Museum

So one of my goals when signing up for this trip was that I wanted to make some additional cultural visits along with the wealth of awesome parks that would be a part of the tour. I spent a lot of time looking up different things to do in Copenhagen, and the Viking Ship Museum was one of the most anticipated cultural stops I wanted to make.

This museum was created back in the 1960's when scientists discovered that there were five ships that had been sunken in the Fjord near Roskilde, and upon their discovery they excavated them, preserved them and rebuilt them. What remains of them now sit in the museum building The ships are also believed to be almost 1000 years old, as they have dated them to the year 1050 AD! They also theorize that the Vikings sank these ships intentionally so that it would block enemy ships from approaching their capital, which sat in present day Roskilde.

There is also an outdoor section of the museum where they build replica Viking ships and, depending on the time of the year, will take passengers out into the Fjord on them. The rest of the town of Roskilde was very beautiful and quiet compared to that of Copenhagen. So let's take a look and see what Roskilde and the Viking Ship Museum have to offer!
001.JPG
After a train ride from the airport, we find ourselves in the middle of Copenhagen. The awesome thing about the first hotel of the tour was that it was literally down the street from Tivoli Gardens!
002.JPG
And here we meet Jeff! Jeff is leading us back to Copenhagen Central Station so that we can ride the train to Roskilde.
003.JPG
Already loving the site of these older buildings. There are only a few places in the U.S. where you will find buildings that are anywhere near the same age as these.
003a.JPG
Upon arrival, it is always a good idea to see where to go.
004.JPG
Luckily for us, they have signs to tell you how to get to the Viking Ship Museum.
005.JPG
Roskilde, a nice little town!
006.JPG
Jeff meets one of the locals.
007.JPG
If I remember right, I believe this was the town hall.
008.JPG
A nice little courtyard with one of the churches of Roskilde
009.JPG
Walking through the neighborhood to get to the Fjord where the museum is found.
010.JPG
Along the way, we found this replica of Roskilde
011.JPG
A closer look.
012.JPG
And here is the building that houses the indoor portion of the Viking Ship Museum. Not the largest museum, but it was worth checking out!
013.JPG
Just before entering.
014.JPG
And here are the Viking ships!
015.JPG
More ships! The metal bands show the shape that the ship would have had if it was in perfect condition.
016.JPG
This picture shows how the ships were found, as they believe they were set up as a blockade of enemy ships.
017.JPG
Here you can see a picture from the excavation process. They drained the water from that middle section, and carefully removed the pieces of the ships.
018.JPG
A front piece of one of the ships
019.JPG
More ship pieces
020.JPG
The first ship is a trading ship.
021.JPG
The large width made it ideal for carrying different cargo from place to place. They would have planks on top of items that sat on the bottom so they could store more cargo on top.
022.JPG
Close-up of the trading ship.
023.JPG
Here is the second ship, which is a little long ship. I don't recall it's purpose, but longer and narrower ships typically were used for transportation of passengers.
024.JPG
Another side view
025.JPG
A look at the inside.
026.JPG
The third ship was another trade ship.
027.JPG
Side view of another trade ship.
028.JPG
029.JPG
The fourth ship was the longest ship. This was a warship used to transport soldiers.
030.JPG
A model of what the ship would have looked like back then
031.JPG
And here is the smallest ship.
032.JPG
How Viking warriors dressed.
033.JPG
More artifacts
034.JPG
This station demonstrated how the Vikings would make their sails, which I was fascinated to learn were made from wool.
035.JPG
More about the sail making process.
036.JPG
I cannot tell you how much I loved coming to this place! As a fan of history, this ranked right up there with going to the Pyramids of Teotihuacan in Mexico.
037.JPG
Well, you know what they say...."When in Scandinavia, do as the Vikings do!"
038.JPG
I could totally pull of being a Viking!
039.JPG
One of the coolest refrigerator magnets I have seen!
040.JPG
Now that we have seen the real ships, let's check out the outdoor section and see the replicas being built and completed replicas in the harbor.
041.JPG
Here is one of the ships being worked on.
042.JPG
A look at how they build the ships.
043.JPG
These guys go for authenticity....no using power tools like a wussy, but rather hack away with an axe like a real Viking Man!!!
044.JPG
The ship they are working on.
045.JPG
In the harbor they had this little pool with miniature toy Viking ships
046.JPG
The kids enjoy playing with them.
047.JPG
"One day, I wanna grow up to be a real Viking ship!!!!"
048.JPG
Here is a replica of the warrior ship.
048a.JPG
And here is her name.....no idea what it means.
049.JPG
Jeff enjoying the Viking ship.
050.JPG
A closer look at the ship
051.JPG
Let's hop aboard shall we?
052.JPG
As you can see, the soldiers would have sat on the cross beams, and they would have used oars to paddle the boat in there was not enough wind to sail.
053.JPG
Another view of the long boat.
054.JPG
Here was one of the smaller boats
055.JPG
A view of the harbor heading towards the fjord
056.JPG
Two more replicas
057.JPG
A replica of the large trade ship.
058.JPG
Looking back at where they build the ships.
059.JPG
Another vessel.
060.JPG
A look further down along the fjord
061.JPG
This was really cool to see out in the fjord....a giant message in a giant bottle.....I wonder what it said?
062.JPG
But now, was shall say bye to the Viking Ship Museum. I really enjoyed this place! If you are in Copenhagen, it is worth the ride over.
063.JPG
Heading back to the train station, we took a walk through the park, and it sure was nice. This was a rather neat water feature that created the creek that went all the way through the park.
063a.JPG
More sights from the park
064.JPG
And here you could see the church near the central part of town.
065.JPG
Almost there
066.JPG
This looked like an old stable.
066a.JPG
More Roskilde buildings
067.JPG
And as we got back to town, we saw a few amusing things.
068.JPG
Frozen Yogurt Is.......?
069.jpg
Always like a good "Slut" sign.
070.JPG
Oh good, I am not sure if I would want bagels if they were not to eat.
071.JPG
This was a rather interesting way of cooking sausage as the hanging grill would actually swing around over the fire. It must help to cook everything more evenly.
072.JPG
And we arrive back to the train station, so let's go back to Copenhagen. Hope you all enjoyed the update! Next will be our exploration of Copenhagen!
Last edited by carolinacaniac on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:09 pm.

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Nice photos! Glad to see your excitement about comping to Europe. Sadly I've never been to Denmark. Have to check it some day.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby jiffy1969 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:30 pm

I have to tell a story here. On the train ride from Roskilde back to Copenhagen, Gary and I accidentally sat in the "quiet" section of the train. As we were quietly talking, a man shushed us. Apparently in Denmark, "quiet" mean absolutely NO talking. I was happy to sit silently for the ride back, but after a minute of watching Gary bite his lip and look like he was about to explode with excitement, I asked "Do you want to switch to the talking section?" He quickly shook his head yes, we moved to a talking section, and Gary proceeded to talk for the entire rest of the two week trip! <3 you Gary!

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:24 pm

^Interesting. I've never seen such thing as a no talking zone.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Postby carolinacaniac » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:27 pm

^^-Now Jeff, let's get one thing strait.........I did not shake my head......I nodded in agreement :)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Wow hoo another Scandi Tour report! :b :br

Great to see you posting yours, Gary.
Resize of IMG_5171.JPG
When we visited Farup Sommerland - you had to have a rest.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby carolinacaniac » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:06 pm

^I think that was more like me falling over on my ass than taking a break, ha ha!

Today I am happy to bring another culture update to this trip report.....

Day 1.2: Wondering Around Copenhagen!

So in the last update, Jeff and I had just visited the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde, and since we had a good bit of time left in the day, we decided to venture over towards Rosenborg Palace and to make a visit to the round tower. Rosenborg Palace will be the next update, which this one will be more about the tower and the walk over to the palace. So let's go see what Copenhagen has to offer!
001.JPG
After a 30 minute train ride we were back at Copenhagen Central Station, and ready to wonder over to see what the city has to offer.
002.JPG
As you exit one side of the station, Tivoli Gardens is right there to welcome you! We would be there in a couple days, so let's see what else there is here.
003.JPG
As a history fan, I absolutely loved seeing older buildings like this, especially with a very unique architecture compared to ours.
004.JPG
Fountain outside of the building.
005.JPG
VIKING BALL!!!!!!!!! (If I had more money I so would have bought this!)
006.JPG
Walking through a courtyard of Copenhagen
007.JPG
What was nice about this city was that there were some streets designated just for pedestrians to walk.
008.JPG
Gave you a chance to see buildings from the middle of the street.
009.JPG
Copenhagen also had its share of street performers. This guy was basically scaring the crap out of people as the walked by, and he had a squeaking device in his mouth so that he would have a squeaky voice when ever he spoke.
010.JPG
One of the churches of Copenhagen.
011.JPG
Again, I absolutely love the architecture of this city!
012.JPG
Down the street was Christiansborg Palace. This is the current home of the Danish Parliament and government offices. We checked it out the next day.
013.JPG
And here was the Round Tower. It is part of another church in Copenhagen.
014.JPG
Another look before we head in.
015.JPG
The information sign about the Round Tower
016.JPG
This tower was really neat in that the walkway up was a round spiraling hallway. Almost like a spiral staircase without stairs.
017.JPG
Old time latrine...I hope no one left any floaters!
018.JPG
A glimpse outside of the tower
019.JPG
Somehow I seem to find myself in uncomfortable situations from time to time.
020.JPG
More information.
021.JPG
And when you reach the top, you get some great views of the city!
021a.JPG
022.JPG
Christiansborg Palace
023.JPG
Another church I believe?
024.JPG
Hello Tivoli! I see you!
025.JPG
A Stadium in the distance
026.JPG
Cruise ship!
027.JPG
028.JPG
029.JPG
Again, I absolutely loved the architecture of these buildings, and the sights of the city! But there is more to see, so let's head back down.
030.JPG
But before we leave, you could actually enter the bell loft of the church.
031.JPG
Some artifacts from the loft.
032.JPG
This was further in, but you had to look through a window.
033.JPG
More artifacts
35.JPG
In one of the little notches on the side was no ordinary emergency faucet...
36.JPG
This looked like something out of Alice in Wonderland....nice touch guys!
034.JPG
Again, this tower was really cool! This was one of Jeff's suggestions, and I am really glad that we did it!
037.JPG
More Copenhagen buildings, perhaps of the residential variety.
038.JPG
One thing I also thought was fascinating about Copenhagen was not just how bike-friendly the place was (Designated paths and traffic lights just for cyclists), but the fact that you would just leave your bike unlocked, and it would be perfectly fine. You would never see this in the U.S.
039.JPG
Before going to Rosenborg, we took a stroll though this garden that was in front of the palace.
040.JPG
A nice pathway that leads to a statue that tributes one of Copenhagen's most famous writers....
041.JPG
....one Hans Christian Andersen.
042.jpg
Yep, if you are sick and tired of hearing the song "Let It Go", then the blame begins with this guy as he wrote the Snow Queen, which Frozen was based off of. He was also the writer of the Little Mermaid as well.
043.JPG
And in the park was also one of the strangest statues I have ever seen. Plus if you get it at just the right angle......
044.JPG
......yep, it looks soooooo dirty!!!!!
045.JPG
But alas, we end this update with a preview of the next update.....A visit to Rosenborg Palace. Thanks for checking it out and I hope you enjoyed it!

Postby carolinacaniac » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Hey Everyone,

After taking some time to get a few other things handled, I had some time tonight to prepare some pictures of the on-going exploration of Copenhagen before the TPR Scandinavia Tour began, so let's go on with our next update:

Day 1.3: Rosenborg Palace

Rosenborg Palace was originally built in 1606 as a summertime home of Christian IV and came to it's present state in 1626. It was used as the royal residence until the year 1710, and was used only twice more for the royal family to reside. When visiting Rosenborg, there are two parts of the palace to visit. The top three floors which include many pieces of furniture, portraits and the thrones of the palace make up one part, and the basement/cellar with pieces of weaponry and the crowns of the royal family of the era make up the second part. So let's check it out!
001.JPG
The next stop of our exploration of Copenhagen would be Rosenborg Palace
002.JPG
Like Cinderella's Castle in Florida, this one also has a moat! Only there were likely never any swan boats that rode around it.
003.JPG
Let's head across and check it out!
004.JPG
Before going into the castle, you have to stop here to leave bags and pay for admission (included with our Copenhagen Cards)
005.JPG
As you can see, the Danish Military still places guard at this palace.
006.JPG
Upon entering, you find many of the rooms to be like this one with some nice open space and many portraits all over.
007.JPG
I believe if you push his head back, there is a red button that you can press to open a bookcase to go to the Batcave
008.JPG
Royal possessions.
009.JPG
This castle is bigger than the one at Disneyland, no?
010.JPG
Royal clothing.
011.JPG
And in here we will find....
012.JPG
....The royal toilet!
013.JPG
The different rooms also had many pieces of beautiful trip that appeared to be hand carved.
013a.JPG
Very nice craftsmanship to be seen.
014.JPG
Another room. Each floor probably had around 3-5 large rooms and an additional 3-5 smaller rooms on the side.
015.JPG
More portraits, there were so many of them in the palace!
016.JPG
Spiral stairs to go up!
017.JPG
Many of the rooms had larger open space.
018.JPG
More portraits
019.JPG
Couldn't you just see a group of guys watching a football game here? They even have individual tables for chips and dip :)
020.JPG
A better look at one of the portraits
021.JPG
Some additional artifacts. I thought the helmet here was rather neat.
023.JPG
When you go up to the third floor.....
024.JPG
...you come to where you will find the royal throne
025.JPG
These lion statues look as though they are there to protect the king and queen.
026.JPG
Another look at the royal throne.
027.JPG
As you can see to the other side, this room was rather large, and there was an additional throne on the other side.
028.JPG
I am not sure why there was only one here, but I thought that perhaps this may have been the throne if only the king or the queen was still alive.
029.JPG
And again, you see wonderful craftsmanship on the molding on the ceiling.
030.JPG
Such beautiful work
031.JPG
And of course, an occasional pair of boobs.....you just have to look :)
032.JPG
So after checking out the three floors above ground, we came back outside, and caught a changing of the guard at Rosenborg.
033.JPG
It was rather fascinating to see this, and it would not be the only one we would see.
034.JPG
When it was through, it was time to check out below ground.
035.JPG
"Shhh....be quiet so they don't catch us in here"
036.JPG
The basement featured items like swards.....
037.JPG
....and guns....
038.JPG
...and kegs!
038a.JPG
Jeff was more of a fan of the wine cellar.
039.JPG
The weaponry was neat to see, and I was really fascinated by this armour
040.JPG
Especially the elephant shoulder guards.
041.JPG
They even had a few cannons
042.JPG
As you go further down, you start getting into more valuable items. How can you tell?.....
043.JPG
.....Well, I assumed the vault door may be a clue. So what is in here?
044.JPG
Well, they have a royal staff....
045.JPG
...and several crowns.
046.JPG
A closer look at this crown.
047.JPG
And this update ends with another pair of crowns! The next update will end the first day of exploring Copenhagen as Jeff and I took a stroll around Nyhavn and visit the Little Mermaid Statue. Thanks for checking out the report, and I hope you all will come back for the next update!

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive