My Cedar Point Coaster Campout Experience

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: My Cedar Point Coaster Campout Experience

Postby benboyrocks » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:34 pm

During the Haunt I was scared to death (yes, I get scared at little things)

But as soon as I realized what was happening, it was a blast!

Overall, I loved every minute of it! Next year I'll be sure to stay up till 2 and expect the Haunt lol.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/d2125d020c5d2cabf363ff182f6f2bce.jpg[/img][/url]

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Devins3 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:08 pm

I have a question, if you were on concrete or wood how do you stake down the tent? At Knoebels I always used nails if I am on a platform, but I was just curious what people did on the concrete.

Postby Joe_Spence » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:48 am

Genx24 wrote:This seems like such a great event. Hopefully it turned out successful enough for Cedar Fair to bring it to their other properties.

I agree! I just moved to the SoCal area, and this would be INSANELY cool to do at Knotts !
”The only way you can check Gretzky is to hit him when he is standing still singing the national anthem.” - Harry Sinden

Die Hard Sabres Fan

Former Cedar Point Employee (Wicked Twister 2005)

I Love Donkeys!

Postby SkiDude02 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:24 am

robbalvey wrote:Ahh, ok. Thanks for clarifying that. I was worried that some people would have signed up for the campout, and then just did the ERT and left meaning that they would have taken a spot from those who were actually interested in taking part in this unique event, but seeing how the park made it an option is very cool to allow those who just wanted to take part, but not camp, still able to join in the fun.

I agree Robb it was very cool of the park to allow those who just wanted to take part, but not camp, still be able to join in the fun. (That's what I did with my guest since I don't own a tent and I have access to my own version of "camping" [on water - a.k.a. boat] less than 5 mins from the park.) By the way, I did see ElToroMillieniumForce and his family waiting in the line up by the resort gate for the campers to walk back to set up and saw his tent set up later during the ERT time (it was one of the best looking tents I saw set up on the grass inside the antique cars track area). Seeing all those tents set up in the back of the park like that was a great site to see (unfortunately my night time photos did not come out :( ). Also, I was impressed by the large numbers of families with their kids like ElToroMillieniumForce camping out. CP Tony was a trooper for this event. I saw him and said hi to him at the check-in table about an hour before ElToroMillieniumForce said he arrived. I also saw him later on the Maverick station platform during the ERT time and I saw him later on closer to midnight talking with some of the staff and campers near the refreshments and smores they had set up in Frontier town. This was a very fun event and I hope they do it again!

(P.S. In-case you're reading this Tony [or anyone else from the park] - my guest and I have to give a big bravo to all of your live entertainment cast and crew. The Luminosity show on Friday night was awesome and the lead singers were great -- and the one that sang Lady Gaga was spot on [I almost did a double take to see if it actually was Gaga was up on the stage or not]. We also saw the Broadway tribute show both on Friday [when we needed a break] and on Saturday [ducking in from the rain] and the performers in that show are truly awesome! Their rendition of "One Day More" from Les Misérables is outstanding! The vocal talent of several of the ladies and guys in the show is phenomenal.)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby RobotsEatElectrons » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:52 am

Devins3 wrote:I have a question, if you were on concrete or wood how do you stake down the tent? At Knoebels I always used nails if I am on a platform, but I was just curious what people did on the concrete.

You didn't "stake" it down. If you were on a hard surface you were just required to have enough heavy objects to keep the tent from blowing away. However, they didn't really enforce it and as far as I know, no one had issues. In fact since our tent's weren't staked down [those of us on concrete] the scareactures were able to shake our tent.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Loco » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:30 am

This looks ridiculously amazing and fun!
I might look into it next year.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby coasterchitchat » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:08 am

SkiDude02 wrote:(P.S. In-case you're reading this Tony [or anyone else from the park] - my guest and I have to give a big bravo to all of your live entertainment cast and crew. The Luminosity show on Friday night was awesome and the lead singers were great -- and the one that sang Lady Gaga was spot on [I almost did a double take to see if it actually was Gaga was up on the stage or not]. We also saw the Broadway tribute show both on Friday [when we needed a break] and on Saturday [ducking in from the rain] and the performers in that show are truly awesome! Their rendition of "One Day More" from Les Misérables is outstanding! The vocal talent of several of the ladies and guys in the show is phenomenal.)

Tony Clark, Bryan Edwards (the PR Director) and Cedar Point all follow Theme Park Review on twitter so they'll be reading this.

If you guys at CP happen to reading this, I would LOVE to say that YOU guys are the BEST! Best coaster enthusiast event. Also, every time I go to Cedar Point the Luminosity show continues to wow me. Cedar Fair should put these at the other parks.
Vekoma is English means, "We don't have the budget for a B&M so let's just order a Vekoma."

I Love Donkeys!

Postby jlines » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:01 pm

This was an awesome event! Although we weren't lucky enough to get a campsite in the park, we have a camper and had our own campout at Walmart. There were several other campers already there when we pulled in the parking lot at about 12:30 and can I tell you there was someone pitching a tent there LOL!

Tony and staff went all out and I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of their efforts to make this a special event. We were able to bring event newbies who had no idea how great it is to go to a park this way. I'm sure they will be joining our ranks soon.

I also hate to hear the complaining. This event was totally FREE so just be grateful for it. Sometimes things happen that are disappointing (such as TTD being down during Coastermania), but life is so much better if you become an adult and learn to roll with the punches.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby nursemelis374 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:23 pm

What a cool event! Thanks for sharing this report. This sounds amazing! I'm sure the park appreciated your good-natured attitude. Many of us would do anything to spend the night in our favorite theme park!

Postby skiisncoasterz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:47 am

The Cedar point coaster camp out was an absolute blast. I arrived at around 3:30 p.m. after parking in the soak city lot as directed I headed to the entrance to check in. There I got my lanyard and blanket. After dropping the blanket off at my car I headed to Ttd. But it was down. The load area still had people in it but the queue entrance was closed. Maybe 50 people were lined up. I waited out the delay and got up to the station. They needed one person to fill a train. I was the lucky winner. After Ttd I did a couple shows and a few rides. Rockin country is still one of my favorites. I headed to the back of the park for campsite check in. The line for the concrete sites was long but didn't take long. I chatted with some folks from Coaster crew while waiting. We all ended up getting sites in zone 2. We were at the saloon in Frontier town. Maverick was straight out my doorstep. Later when the creepy music began the monsters came out right by my tent. I had a hunch something crazy would happen on this night. I opened my tent and the witch poked her head in many face. They terrorized the tent next to mine. It was hilarious to watch. Jason McClure was around watching the fun. They used us to introduce the new Tombstone Territory maze for halloweekends. Jason remarked to me about how I had worked in that maze at kings island. I'd chatted with him at dinner about that. Overall the event was excellent. Enthusiasm was high in the rain for MF ert. People had many rides with little wait. After breakfast I watched ttd trains get put on the track. I departed mid morning from the park.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive