My Cedar Point Coaster Campout Experience

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: My Cedar Point Coaster Campout Experience

Postby GigaG » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:30 am

My tent wasn't shaken if I remember correctly, but we were out by that time. I got lots of pics of the Screamsters.
"Official" Cedar Fair fanboy!
Favorite Steel: Maverick|Favorite Wood: El Toro, Goliath is close behind|Favorite non-prefab/RMC woodie: Hard to say. Probably Shivering Timbers or Georgia Cyclone
Favorite Flats (in no particular order) - MoA NU Brain Surge, Chance Chaos, Flying Scooters, drop towers
I take a stand against unnecessary neutering of rides. Restore Revolution, Blue Streak, Dorney Thunderhawk, Raging Bull, etc...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:32 am

jetsplumber wrote:they are probably the same person when you go to a NFL game, and your team is on D, and on a 3rd and long, and every is standing and makes noise, this bum is behind you yelling to sit down, or down in front.

What does an NFL game have to do with a camp out at Cedar Point? I have season tickets to an NFL team and HATE IT when inconsiderate people just stand in front, obnoxiously blocking everyone. And yes, everyone around me who's a season ticket regular shares the same view. It's usually the drunk morons that don't remember anything and end up getting kicked out. No, not everyone wants to stand, and you can still be plenty loud from your seat.

Either way, that has nothing to do with the "party poopers" being talked about here. People these days are getting so sensitive, and can't take a joke anymore. What did they expect when signing up, a 5-star accommodation and pampering experience? I'd like to see how they handle camping out in actual woods. :roll:

Glad to hear it was an overall great time, though! Seems like a really fun event!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Jantzen73 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:32 am

1pizza14 wrote:That event looks AWESOME! I have seen it all over the internet.. but what is that Macaroni sculpture behind TTD? An advertisement for Kraft Mac + Cheese or is it for something else?

It is just an advertisement piece for Kraft Macaroni and Cheese - it was at Kings Island previously - Giant Noodle Article
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @jantzen73

Postby Jantzen73 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:51 am

robbalvey wrote:^ I'm still confused. So there were spots available WITHOUT being able to camp? Or was everyone that got in allowed to camp, but some just chose not to?

There were limited spots available to camp out overnight - they did not release numbers but I saw a sheet at sign in that said there were 159 camp spots. Each spot could hold up to 4 campers - some had 1 - most had 3 or 4. When registration opened in late January folks had to submit their information via CP's website to enter a "lottery" for chance to be selected for a camp site. In early February they contacted folks that had "won" the camp site lottery.

You could also register for this event as a non-camper for yourself and one other guest. You could have access to all activities (ERT, food, etc.) but would not have access to the camp areas (well except to walk back to Maverick for ERT). They also posted special hotel rates for those that either did not, or were not, selected to camp. I believe this registration was open until sometime in April.

Being a first time event I think CP wanted to keep manageable crowd numbers and see how it went. They could have squeezed some more tents back there - but it would have taken away from the experience I think.

The only thing participants had to pay for was parking. As long as the registrant was a coaster club member, themselves and their guest(s) were given free entry to Cedar Point Friday and Saturday - on top of all the activities for the Coaster Campout event. I have free parking with my Cedar Fair Platinum pass - so all this cost me was the price of gas and some tolls. The event itself was priceless to me and my family.

Also wanted to add that it looked like everyone did a great job cleaning up their camp sites - I saw no trash in the grassy areas (and we were one of the last tents out) So kudos to folks for being respectful. Again 95% of the attendee's were excited and grateful for the hospitality of the park. Already looking forward to the event next year!

Postby Jantzen73 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:10 am

I've attached the Coaster Campout guidelines flyer that was sent to overnight campers prior to arriving - click on the PDF below to check it out!
2014_Coaster_Campout_Guidelines.pdf
Coaster Campout 2014 Guidelines
(550.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:30 am

I really wanted to do this as it sounded like a blast, but things just didn't work out. I would love to try it if they do it again in the future.

Thanks for sharing...I was hoping that someone would do a nice TR covering this event!

And has anyone been in the new Lusty Lil's and seen the show?

Is it any good and do they have good draft? ;)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:35 am

ElToroMillieniumForce wrote:
robbalvey wrote:^ I'm still confused. So there were spots available WITHOUT being able to camp? Or was everyone that got in allowed to camp, but some just chose not to?

There were limited spots available to camp out overnight - they did not release numbers but I saw a sheet at sign in that said there were 159 camp spots. Each spot could hold up to 4 campers - some had 1 - most had 3 or 4. When registration opened in late January folks had to submit their information via CP's website to enter a "lottery" for chance to be selected for a camp site. In early February they contacted folks that had "won" the camp site lottery.

You could also register for this event as a non-camper for yourself and one other guest. You could have access to all activities (ERT, food, etc.) but would not have access to the camp areas (well except to walk back to Maverick for ERT). They also posted special hotel rates for those that either did not, or were not, selected to camp. I believe this registration was open until sometime in April.

Ahh, ok. Thanks for clarifying that. I was worried that some people would have signed up for the campout, and then just did the ERT and left meaning that they would have taken a spot from those who were actually interested in taking part in this unique event, but seeing how the park made it an option is very cool to allow those who just wanted to take part, but not camp, still able to join in the fun.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:35 am.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:37 am

FeelTheFORCE wrote:People these days are getting so sensitive, and can't take a joke anymore.

I find it hilarious and ironic that you would say this after just chewing someone out over having a good time at a football game. Lighten the f*ck up, people!!!!

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:28 am

robbalvey wrote:
FeelTheFORCE wrote:People these days are getting so sensitive, and can't take a joke anymore.

I find it hilarious and ironic that you would say this after just chewing someone out over having a good time at a football game. Lighten the f*ck up, people!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love high-fiving it up with the drunks at sports games, and normally don't care what people around me do. Just that, there's always that one guy at a sporting event that ruins it for everyone around him by acting obnoxious, sometimes instigating and starting a fight. When you spend thousands of dollars every season to attend these events, it's annoying. I apologize if I came off as uptight, as I'm a pretty tolerant person. I'm on your side, I loved that gag CP pulled, and thought it was in great taste!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby droc089 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:02 am

robbalvey wrote:

QFT!

This sounds like a really great time! Hope they do it again, I'm down! :)
Last edited by droc089 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:08 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive