Alabama and the Florida Panhandle Photo TR

Cheryl and Martin Drive Really Far For 3 Credits!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Alabama and the Florida Panhandle Photo TR

Postby milst1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:57 am

We spend every July 4th with friends in Alabama, and we try to tack some credits onto the trip. Last year we hit North Alabama and Tennessee, and two or three years ago we did a disastrous quick trip to KD for I-305, on which I left my zipper pocket open and lost my money clip and rental car keys on the coaster's first run of the day! But that's a story for another time.

On this trip, we headed South, way South.
0001.jpeg
This is us in Talladega, Alabama, hosting our annual Freethought Trivia game.
0002.jpg
I've been going to Alabama for July 4th for almost 15 years, and I've always seen signs for DeSoto Caverns Family Fun Park, so we decided to make a very quick unplanned stop. As you can see, the Spanish conquistador Hernando DeSoto also made a stop here in the 16th C.
0003.jpg
We've made it. This is an information booth.
0004.jpg
The caverns are the draw here, and we did not have time to wait for the next tour, but we'll be back. And Hernando would not look so happy if he knew that he was going to die of fever near the Mississippi.
0005.jpg
It's a short walk from the parking lot to the ticket counter.
0006.jpg
Nice fountain. Notice the clothed cherubs. Wait, are they cherubs without wings?
0007.jpg
There were a bunch of activities like Gemstone panning!
0008.jpg
You can dig for crystals in the dirt!
0009.jpg
A butterfly house!
0010.jpg
A Homemade "Water Wars"
0011.jpg
Wacky Water Golf
0012.jpg
A Gyro.
0013.jpg
Hoops
0014.jpg
Foam Bath
0015.jpg
And some kiddie flats. We couldn't really stay longer, but we look forward to next year.
0016.jpg
We made another quick stop in Enterprise, Alabama, to see the monument to the Boll Weevil.
0017.jpg
My understanding is that the insect's decimation of cotton crops led the local economy to diversify, which led to prosperity. Unfortunately, small rural Alabama towns like this one aren't particularly prosperous anymore. But we did find decent barbecue.
0018.jpg
The monument is, quite literally, in the middle of the intersection, so we're standing in the middle of the street for this shot.
0019.jpg
A bazillion miles later and then through horrendous July 4th Weekend traffic, we are at the newly resurrected Miracle Strip in Panama City. The original Miracle Strip had some great theming and attractions, but sadly, the park closed in 2004. The new owners are doing a nice job of honoring the park's memory with classic period rides. They've basically just moved out of a mall parking lot into a new, larger site.
0020.jpg
Price information.
0021.jpg
Here is the new credit, a 1976 Galaxi that was originally at Adventureland Iowa, then at Splash Kingdom Waterpark in California.
0022.jpg
Rock-o-Plane!
0023.jpg
Roll-o-Plane!
0024.jpg
Zip lines and additional adventure stuff like a climbing wall.
0025.jpg
A 1975 Scrambler
0026.jpg
Trabant!
0027.jpg
Ferris Wheel. There's more, but we didn't stay too long. Food looked good, too, and we got a nice t-shirt.
0028.jpg
As you probably know, the PTC John Allen woodie Starliner was relocated to Cypress Gardens, but Legoland took it out. The new ride will be a completely new GCI coaster, inspired by the original. We are looking forward to coming back.
0029.jpg
Some nice garbage can theming! Anyway, I hope that the new Miracle Strip makes a go of it and keeps people entertained for years to come.
0030.jpg
We then made the drive from Panama City to back to Alabama to visit Waterville USA in Gulf Shores. The driving was a pain because it was across all of the barrier islands and over causeways and more horrendous July 4th weekend traffic.
0031.jpg
The exit for Cannonball Run comes through the indoor arcade area.
0032.jpg
In all of it's CCI/PTC glory.
0033.jpg
Out and back layout. I liked it, but there is so much hunting in the turnaround that you'll think you've gone on safari. Time for some retracking. I should note that they gave us two go-arounds.
0034.jpg
We drove back to Pensacola, ate late night at Waffle House, slept, and then found ourselves at Sam's Fun City at 11AM-ish.
0035.jpg
Relieved to see that there is a pizza buffet.
0036.jpg
Getting ready for lunch.
0037.jpg
The rides don't open until 12, so we had an hour to kill. We started with some pinball. We hadn't seen the latest screen projection technology that makes your pinball machine feel like a video game. We were about even.
0038.jpg
$20 goes a long way at this place. Then some skee-ball. Cheryl dominated.
0039.jpg
Hoops. I think Cheryl and I were about tied.
0040.jpg
Dippin' dots!
0041.jpg
Bullwinkle!
0042.jpg
This used to be a Bullwinkle's. I'm a fan of the Jay Ward cartoons (Rocky & Bullwinkle, Dudley Do-Right, Peabody and Sherman), which were really funny even though the animation was terrible. The characters are still licensed out to FECs.
0043.jpg
There are Dudley and Nell, and Boris and Natasha.
0044.jpg
A little stage for birthday parties. There was a whole separate birthday game room too, I think.
0045.jpg
Awards from IALEI, the old FEC trade association, which merged into IAAPA.
0046.jpg
And the credit. The owners/management were nice enough to let us ride it. I don't understand why it's not considered powered on rcdb. These Miner Mikes are basically powered through 90% of the track.
0047.jpg
Some additional kiddie rides.
0048.jpg
I think the Scrambler was the only larger flat we saw. I'm also not showing go-karts and some other such things.
0049.jpg
There is a also a substantial water park which looked nice.
0050.jpg
Thank you for joining us on this trip through attractions in Alabama and the Florida Panhandle!
Last edited by milst1 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:33 am.
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Six Flags New England
Next Park: Somewhere in China
Final 2018 Park Count: 101
Running 2019 Park Count: 39

Vagina Wreckage

Re: Alabama and the Florida Panhandle Photo TR

Postby Barge84 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:06 am

Weird, one of my friends asked me the other day if I knew what had happened to the Super Screamer at Adventureland. I knew it was in California, but now I have even more info to give them. :)

Nice little trip, and I can only give you crap for one kiddie credit, so that's a plus!

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:15 am

Next time you talk to Cameron, tell him how much you loved those rear projection pinball games.

Postby milst1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:10 pm

^^^
Cameron?
Shameless Plug!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Nice to see those Pin2k's at Sam's!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby technfxrick » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:01 pm

Nice report

And the powered is totally a credit.

New Coasters 101
Parks 84

Postby milst1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:40 pm

thrillerman1 wrote:Nice to see those Pin2k's at Sam's!

Pin2K's?

Isn't your avatar from Lake Winnie?
Shameless Plug!

Ignore this post, I'm probably drunk

Postby Vtafro » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:01 pm

Looks like you guys had a nice time, would you recommend any of these stops if and when rampage opens?

Postby milst1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:53 am

Vtafro wrote:Looks like you guys had a nice time, would you recommend any of these stops if and when rampage opens?

We went to these places for the credits, and they are what they are: FECs. If you're looking for Go-Karts and water parks and arcades and children's birthday parties, they're all up to the task. The added benefit is that they are all located in or near beach resort areas, so you can drop in if you're also enjoying the Gulf beaches. Also, only DeSoto Caverns is anywhere in the neighborhood of Rampage, and there's no credit there. The others are a bit further away.
Shameless Plug!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:40 pm

milst1 wrote:
thrillerman1 wrote:Nice to see those Pin2k's at Sam's!

Pin2K's?

Isn't your avatar from Lake Winnie?

Yes! You're the first person who ever guessed my avatar correctly! Should I send you a prize?

Pin2k's were Williams last ditch effort at saving their pinball branch around the late 90's. Sadly it didn't work. They produced this mix of pinball and video in one game with their Revenge From Mars and Star Wars pins. Having only played the Star Wars pin at Zanzabar in Louisville (highly recommended), I think pin2k's were an amazing concept and really wish they'd caught on. I would love to play Revenge From Mars but haven't found it near me yet.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive