Photo TR: 27 Parks in 6 Weeks

Completed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Photo TR: 27 Parks in 6 Weeks

Postby i<3coasters » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:17 pm

5 minute dispatches on Mamba?! That's insane. How long did we time on Viper, was it 3+ minutes?
- Judd
Tops: Steel Vengeance | Intimidator 305 | Maverick | Skyrush | Wicked Cyclone
Outlaw Run | Voyage | Boulder Dash | Boardwalk Bullet | Millennium Force

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby rcdude » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Finally got caught up with this. Great report! Mini New Hotness was overall an outstanding trip, probably my favorite of all the TPR trips I've done (displacing North East 2011). It's always interesting to see what others thought of the parks and coasters compared to my opinions. Sometimes they match, and sometimes they're polar opposites.

I'm interested to see the last bits of your trip, as I strongly considered going to Worlds of Fun and Silver Dollar City in June, but unfortunately it just didn't work out. It doesn't sound like I missed much at Worlds of Fun, but I really wish I could have stopped by Silver Dollar City.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby rubysparkles » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:06 pm

rcdude wrote: I'm interested to see the last bits of your trip, as I strongly considered going to Worlds of Fun and Silver Dollar City in June, but unfortunately it just didn't work out. It doesn't sound like I missed much at Worlds of Fun, but I really wish I could have stopped by Silver Dollar City.

If you're in the area it's worth it, I would've enjoyed it a lot more if it wasn't directly after the trip and if the operations were at least average. Silver Dollar City is on a whole different level though!

i<3coasters wrote: 5 minute dispatches on Mamba?! That's insane. How long did we time on Viper, was it 3+ minutes?

I actually started tapping my foot like a cartoon character. I think Viper was about the same time as Prowler then.

Meteornotes wrote: We were in awe of you patiently answering all of his bizarre questions without laughing. I have no idea how you did it, but we were seriously impressed.

Nice report and photos. Mini New Hotness was a fun trip!

I think I was so shocked I couldn't physically laugh, like maybe it was a prank!

It was a really amazing trip.
Twisted Colossus, I305, Skyrush, Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Maverick.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Purchasing this shirt was the single greatest decision of my life. Meeting Lil Sebastian was the single greatest moment of my life.
Riding Mean Streak, followed by Corkscrew, possibly canceled out both of these.
p1019534.jpg

Postby rubysparkles » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:53 pm

The last theme park on my trip was one that I had high expectations for. Earlier I had enjoyed Goliath more than a lot of the other people on the trip and everyone seemed to think that Outlaw Run is better than Goliath. Could this be a 10/10 coaster for me? The only two coasters that merited that score were El Toro and Skyrush, so far.

Me and my godmother made the road trip from Kansas City to Branson. We decided that we may as well get the 3 day pass as the 1 day seemed expensive in comparison (of course, a lot of theme parks do this) and then we can pop in and out of the park over those days and not rush anything.

Silver Dollar City is definitely a great, scenic park that has a great mix of stuff for families and stuff for coaster enthusiasts. I think the coaster line up is actually a really good example of quality over quantity. The food is really good, a lot of really cool and strange stuff. It's probably my second favourite theme park for food after Knoebels, which seemed like better value to me. We went to see a few shows and they were very good, I'm not a show person but I would recommend checking out a couple of the ones here, even if it's just to get out of the sun for a little while

The park was incredibly busy the first day we went. It wasn't a great start to the day, the only major coaster working was Wildfire, so that was my first credit here. I found Wildfire boring as hell and would definitely rank it as one of the worst B&Ms out there. Really it's an ok coaster with a nice setting, but there was nothing that I particularly liked about it.

Powder Keg was more enjoyable, the launch was nice and the coaster is easily re-ridable. It's a little bit thrilling and probably just right for the park. Shame it seemed to break down a lot. I rode it during the day and night, it was better in the evening. My favourite part was the beginning, the way train gets from the station to the launch area. Is that a unique element? It looks really awesome and seems really strange. This was the the first time for something that happened 3 times at Silver Dollar City, I was front of the line about to get on when they put an extra train on the tracks. This had only happened to me once or twice before ever, so for it to happen three times at one park, it seemed like bad luck.

Thunderation was a very good mine train, not as good as the mine train at Ocean Park, but certain a great example of it. Fire in the Hole was completely unexpected. I didn't actually look this up before going to the park, or if I did I had completely forgotten what this ride even was. This ride rates 10/10 for weirdness. At points it felt like a hallucination, it is one of the creepiest things I have experienced. It's barely a roller coaster really, more of a a dark ride. So I didn't score it very high at all. I didn't go on it a second time, just because I didn't want to spoil my reaction by re-riding it. It was an experience, for sure.

I got the Trailblazer pass for the first day, which meant I got front of the line. You can choose which rides you use this on, which is awesome. It meant I used it mainly on Outlaw Run, as the coaster was down for an extended period of time in the morning and the queues were very long. I think over the 3 days I got in about 8 rides on Outlaw Run, tried the front and the back row a few times. I really liked the ride and would highly recommend riding in the front and the back at night. It is very short, but it does take your breath away (like all my favourites do). It didn't merit a 10/10 but it was very close (this and Maverick really should get 9.5). I liked it better than Goliath but I didn't feel like they were that far away from each other in quality. They were pretty close to me. Also I really like the RMC restraints and find them pretty comfortable.

I did also get a *first* on Outlaw Run. I got stuck on the lift hill! I was obviously really excited about this, of any ride to get stuck on the lift hill Outlaw Run is a pretty awesome one for it to happen. We were stuck there for almost 30 minutes and the staff were great they bought us all water and chatted away. We were pretty close to the top of the lift. It was frustrating for me as I'd just queued for the front row at night, but they gave us front of line passes and I got to use it the next day for my front row night ride. In the end I got to walk down Outlaw Run's lift hill in the dark with torches lighting the way, I that was a very memorable experience.

Silver Dollar City
Outlaw Run 9
Thundernation 6
Powder Keg 7
Wildfire 6
Fire in the Hole 5
P1010970.JPG
Wildfire!
P1010981.JPG
I really wanted to like this coaster, but it was just so "meh".
P1010982.JPG
P1010983.JPG
Seems legit.
P1010992.JPG
One of the shows, very good.
P1011030.JPG
Clocks at the front of the park.
P1011033.JPG
P1011035.JPG
Rapids ride.
P1011039.JPG
This area has closed now for the new Fireman's Landing area.
P1011041.JPG
10549013_10203236077716574_4546169402963632049_o.jpg
Me and that fateful lift hill.

Postby rubysparkles » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:55 am

Okay this is my last update for this trip! Before I went on this trip I decided to predict what I thought my top 10 steel and wood coasters would be (only from the new coasters I was riding). Along with their rankings in the most current Mitch Hawker polls.

This was my list...
Wood
1. Boulder Dash (4)
2. El Toro (1)
3. Goliath (NA)
4. Outlaw Run (3)
5. Voyage (7)
6. Prowler (22)
7. The Beast (48)
8. Raven (28)
9. Phoenix (5)
10. Kentucky Rumbler (29)

Steel
1. Maverick (9)
2. Skyrush (7)
3. Millenium Force (14)
4. Bizarro (2)
5. Raging Bull (57)
6. Top Thrill Dragster (29)
7. Nitro (19)
8. Kingda Ka (72)
9. Banshee (NA)
10. Lightning Run (NA)

I can't explain to you WHY I thought I was going to like Raging Bull that much. I'm a strange person. Anyway here's the actual top 10's after riding 123 new coasters this summer.

Wood:
1. El Toro
2. Phoenix
3. Outlaw Run
4. Goliath
5. The Voyage (I preferred night rides on The Beast, but The Voyage was good in the day and at night...)
6. The Beast
7. Boulder Dash (My biggest regret on this trip was not riding it at night.)
8. Prowler
9. Kentucky Rumbler
10. The Raven

Steel:
1. Skyrush (If this wasn't a family site I would use lots of expletives to describe how much I loved this ride.)
2. Maverick
3. Millennium Force
4. Diamondback (These hypers are interchangeable, I think I gave it to Diamondback for awesome operations and having a splashdown and the newer B&M seating arrangement.)
5. Nitro
6. Lightning Run (I still think it's so weird so many people hated these restraints but I found them some of the most comfortable of the trip.)
7. Banshee (This was probably the best invert of the trip.)
8. Kingda Ka (Look it's not a great coaster, but there's something about being able to say I've been launched 456ft in the air that really makes me smile.)
9. Superman: Ultimate Flight (I really do love pretzel loops.)
10. Possessed (This made the tenth spot because it was so fun and made me laugh and took me by surprise.)

I'm not going to make a long list of negatives, but I will tell you the worst coaster I rode was Superflight at Rye Playland. Which was more of a torture device than a roller coaster. The biggest disappointment was Bizarro at Six Flags New England, which I thought I was really going to enjoy.

I was pleasantly surprised by most of the parks on my trip but I especially loved my day at Hersheypark. I think it has a really great coaster collection, it has s'mores and it was just a great park to hang around in. Six Flags Great Adventure is now my favourite park in the Six Flags chain (next Magic Mountain, Great America and then New England). I liked Kings Island a lot more than I expected and Cedar Point matched my very, very, very high expectations. I don't think I could choose between those two parks though, maybe it would be different if I had visited Kings Island outside of Banshee Bash.

Knoebels, Holiday World and Silver Dollar City were all great parks. The kind of parks that I would recommend to non-theme park fans as great days out. I would take my family to these parks, none of whom like coasters or rides at all. Knoebels for the setting & food, Holiday World for Splashing Safari & quirky themeing and Silver Dollar City for the shows & crafts.

It was my first US TPR tour and I still can't believe how nice almost all of those parks were to us. From Ed Hart asking for our opinions to Holiday World basically giving us ALL the ERT possible (and the rad sense of humour) to Kings Island having the most excited staff ever to Indiana Beach giving us all that time to take over Fascination to Beech Bend and that ridiculous night time ERT on Kentucky Rumbler. Of course the surprise trip to Stricker's Grove was also brilliant, I never thought I would ever make it to that park. I'd also like to give a big thank you to Robb and Elissa and all the parks who really made us feel so welcome. My summer was ridiculously amazing, but the TPR part was on another level.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Blue Turbo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 am

Great report! New Hotness was such a fun time, with so many bizarre memories like Mr Kentucky (well all of Kentucky :lol: ), Flight of Fear #InTheFastlane, and the ferris wheel rollback and Frankenstein's Castle at Indiana Beach. It was really great getting to know you over the trip and hope we can meet again someday.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby i<3coasters » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:29 am

Great TR Caroline. Loved getting to relive all these memories through your perspective.
Also, Nathan forgot #wheelseat.
- Judd
Tops: Steel Vengeance | Intimidator 305 | Maverick | Skyrush | Wicked Cyclone
Outlaw Run | Voyage | Boulder Dash | Boardwalk Bullet | Millennium Force

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Blue Turbo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:16 am

^Sorry, I'll try harder next time

Postby rubysparkles » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Blue Turbo wrote:^Sorry, I'll try harder next time

Ignore Judd, he's just jealous he didn't hear that guy singing Iggy Azalea on Flight of Fear.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive