Photo TR: 27 Parks in 6 Weeks

Completed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Re: Photo TR: 27 Parks in 6 Weeks

Postby rubysparkles » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:41 am

...and then there was Kentucky! After a tiring, but amazing day at Kings Island, I think everyone found it difficult to get up and make our way to Kentucky Kingdom. I nearly fell asleep in the theme park at one point (the park was nice but you've got to get shut eye while you can on these tours and a picnic bench isn't the worst place to sleep). Understandably I didn't take too many pictures this day.

There was some filming done on Thunder Run and Lightning Run that morning that meant we got in a lot of rides on both those coasters. Thunder Run was fun but the PTC restraints always leave me with bruises so after a couple of rides I was done. Lightning Run is a great little coaster, I get the Intamin Megalite comparison even if it's not really got the same feeling. There's parts that are a little odd and jerky but I liked those unexpected sections of track. They made the ride feel more unique. I found the restraints incredibly comfortable, but heard a lot of negative opinions from the taller riders.

I decided to go on a drop tower (a very small one) to conquer my fear. It's not conquered but it wasn't that bad. I will still not be going anywhere near any of the 400ft+ drop towers that have opened recently. Pretty sure I would have a heart attack.

At one point, while in search of air conditioning, our group went into one of the shops. The lady working there noticed my accent and asked me where I was from. When I told her I'm from London, I swear, she looked at me like I was an alien. Of course, she was incredibly excited because I was from the same island as the great One Direction. She acted like I had some sort of connection to the band. I'm glad she was so happy.

That was a pretty weird but not completely astounding event. Luckily, things were only going to get even better when we looked for more air conditioning. This time we found an “Italian” restaurant. There were a bunch of people from the tour in there, lots of people. Lots of people who did not try to help me, who just tried not to laugh as I had one of the weirdest conversations of my life.

I'm going to call the guy Mr Kentucky. Mr K was sat at a table alone eating his lunch. I can't remember exactly what he/I said but this is basically what happened. He obviously hears us talking.

Mr K: “Where are y'all from?”
Me: “We're from all over the place, some from the US. But other countries too. I'm from England.”
Mr K: “Oh I thought so.”

Mr K: “Is it true y'all have that castle over there?”
Me: “Um, which one. We have a lot of castles.”
Mr. K: “Wow, really? Oh my god.”

Mr K: “(Points to a mural on the wall that is somewhere in Italy, seeing as it is an Italian restaurant) Is that what England looks like?”
Me: “Um, not really. I think that might be Italy? England isn't that pretty.”
Mr K: “Oh right.”

Mr K: “Are the police nice over there?”
Me: “Um, I guess? I think so. I mean, they don't have guns...”
Mr K: “WHAT? What do they have then?”
Me: “Um, batons.”
Mr K: “(Obviously doesn't know what a baton is) Ohhhh.”
Me: “It's like a big stick.”
Mr K: “(Looks even more confused) Right. Ok. I don't want to annoy you anymore, so I'll leave you alone.”

He asked other questions, if anyone remembers any of them please remind me because they were amazingly bizarre. I was really trying to not be mean, but it was so difficult not to laugh, especially when I could hear other people around me sniggering away. I definitely would have been sniggering if I was sitting there watching this happen. It was seriously ridiculous.

Next up was Beech Bend, which was a really nice small park. We got the best fried chicken of the trip here, if I remember correctly. Met another nice young fellow who was telling me about the dragon coaster there because he overheard me talking about the A Song of Ice and Fire books. He was the ride operator and everything he said must have been true because he told me he owned 5 "Trust me, I'm an engineer" t-shirts. Not just 1 shirt, 5 shirts! How could you NOT trust him to operate a kiddie coaster? Then we headed over to the Wild Mouse, which broke down a couple of times while we were waiting but nothing major. That was a "spinning" mouse, not much spinning and not much left to say about this type of coaster. They're a credit. Yay!

The second best ride of the park was probably the pirate ship that was previously owned by Michael Jackson and plays all of his hits. The best was definitely Kentucky Rumbler, which is probably my favourite GCI coaster. TPR had a lot of fun after the park closed on this thing, I participated in the "fat train" to try and break their speed record (I think we did it, right?). There were some weird pictures from the linked arm train, not sure what else they tried up there as I made my way down into the store after about the tenth ride. As soon as I decided I'd had my fill of Kentucky Rumbler, the sky opened up and there was some pretty extreme thunder and lightning that looked so cool! A great end to the day. Most people don't like rainstorms, but it was pretty nice watching it from some rocking chairs in the middle of a theme park.

Kentucky Kingdom:
Lightning Run - 8
Thunder Run - 7
Roller Skater - 3

Beech Bend:
Dragon - 3
Wild Mouse - 4
Kentucky Rumbler - 8
P1010506.JPG
P1010507.JPG
6 'mericun Flags
P1010508.JPG
No jokes were made about the name of one of these companies.
P1010510.JPG
Thunder Run off in the distance.
P1010511.JPG
Lightning Run!!!
P1010518.JPG
It's so cute looking. And the blue is lovely.
P1010522.JPG
The water park looked nice.
P1010525.JPG
P1010526.JPG
P1010545.JPG
P1010550.JPG
Had to take a picture of my own name!
P1010553.JPG
P1010555.JPG
P1010559.JPG
P1010565.JPG
P1010568.JPG
Beech Bend had a mysterious door. Awesome.
P1010569.JPG
From Neverland Ranch. Still playing MJ's hits.
P1010575.JPG
P1010577.JPG
P1010579.JPG
P1010580.JPG
Kentucky Rumbler.
P1010590.JPG
P1010603.JPG
Twisted Colossus, I305, Skyrush, Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Maverick.

Postby rubysparkles » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:17 am

The night before we got to Holiday World unfortunately Satan's Lodge messed up and gave our rooms away. Luckily we managed to all squeeze into another place a little bit further away from Santa Claus, Indiana. I can't even imagine having to deal with the stress of finding another hotel for so many people on the spot and then re-arrange us all into different rooms. It was all fine and we got to the park the next morning in good spirits.

I really loved Holiday World. It was just such a great day. From the beginning, providing us with breakfast and coffee. The most important thing for anyone's morning: coffee. There's also free soft drinks! Bonus. We got on the first ride of The Voyage in the morning. My feelings on the ride are that it's great up until it starts getting really painful near the end. The Raven and Legend were both really enjoyable too. Not quite as epic as The Voyage, but then they were less painful. All the coasters improved at night. Especially the first part of The Voyage before you start getting bruised by the intensity. Front row, The Voyage, night time is close to the greatness of The Beast, but I preferred the later slightly. I have never seen so many stars as from the top of The Voyage's lifthill!

We had ERT on the three coasters after closing (which they usually don't do in summer, thanks TPR and Holiday World!!!) but the most amazing thing was ERT on Mammoth and Wildebeest. Both of which are amazing. I am not a water park person, something a lot of people were saying on the trip, but I think everyone was wowed. Probably my favourite ERT on the trip. It's such a unique experience, the magnets and how scary it is that you are not strapped in while you're having the feeling of airtime. You really have to hold on tight. Also the magnets! Propelling you upwards! Through water! So cool! I think I preferred Mammoth because the round boat meant that you didn't really always know which way you were going to go, going from facing forward to facing backwards. They were two of the best rides I've ever been on, Wildebeest is so great in the front too.

This day was just awesome! We even got to try the Thanksgiving dinner there and I enjoyed it (needed some dijon mustard though...). Interesting for a non-American. Really filling and good value too. I didn't get too many pictures, and I got none of the water park unfortunately. I also didn't mark the coasters at the time, so these are marks after a couple of months of memory loss.

Holiday World
The Voyage - 8 (definitely a 9 at night)
The Raven - 7
The Legend - 7
The Howler - 3
P1010619.JPG
I love all the colourful flags at the tops of the lifthills. So cute.
P1010620.JPG
P1010629.JPG
Got this on the backstage tour. We all got some amazing photos.
P1010633.JPG
Isn't this the part where it hurts?
P1010639.JPG
Grandma's got a gun.
P1010640.JPG
The Raven!
P1010649.JPG
Hands up!
P1010656.JPG
This thing is the definition of an epic coaster.
P1010659.JPG
P1010671.JPG
P1010682.JPG
P1010698.JPG
Thanksgiving dinner was very yummy!
Last edited by rubysparkles on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:16 pm.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:49 am

I love these reports!!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby x2isawesome » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:03 am

The voyage in the front at night in the pitch black dark out back is the definition of an epic coaster ride. Glad to see someone else appreciates it as much as I do.

Postby rubysparkles » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:14 pm

boldikus wrote:I love these reports!!

Thanks. It's nice writing them, but it makes me miss travelling so much!

x2isawesome wrote:The voyage in the front at night in the pitch black dark out back is the definition of an epic coaster ride. Glad to see someone else appreciates it as much as I do.

You are definitely not on your own loving night time rides on The Voyage, there were other people on the tour were singing its praises too. The only reason it wasn't my favourite ERT moment is because we had so much amazing night time ERT, this Diamondback, The Beast, Kentucky Rumbler, Mammoth and Wildebeest. The Voyage was probably the most epic though!

Postby rubysparkles » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:11 am

I really enjoyed my day at Indiana Beach. Although it's a small park with no major rides, it's still a great place to go for a day out if you're in the area. Tig'rr coaster was my personal favourite, it is a Schwarzkopf, so of course it's enjoyable. Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain was just as weird and wonderful as I expected. It was interesting to ride Steel Hawg too, I've never been on an S&S El Loco, I did like it but I definitely didn't love it. Most of its charm was from it's strangeness and I would rather go on a wacky ride than a boring one. The best way to describe this is somewhere between a wild mouse and a Eurofighter. It's not necessarily the best combination but it's better than a standard wild mouse so I'm not complaining.

Despite being terrible at Fascination, I still got a harmonica out of it. Pretty damn cool. I can see how that game can become very addictive. Non-coaster attractions we tried included Dr Frankenstein's Haunted Castle. I'm pretty easily freaked out by these things. This one had a lot of darkness. I will give you a spoiler, there's a moment where they have one of those rat effects on your feet. If I'd have known, I would not have gone in there, I have an irrational fear of rats. I'm glad I did do the haunted house as it wasn't too bad to get through. I'm so easily scared by these things that if I can get through it, almost anyone can. Most 7 year olds would go through this kind of thing, I'm sure. The Den of Lost Thieves was actually a really nice shooting ride, very basic in a lot of ways but so much fun. The Skyride, was well, exactly what it says on the tin. I tried the Double Shot too, I really enjoyed this kind of flat. Even though I don't really think I can do drop towers, I think the ones that shoot you upwards are actually a lot more fun. I thought I would be equally as scared of these as the traditional drop tower but I really wasn't.

I think Indiana Beach is really worth a drive to if you don't live that far away. It has a lot of unique attractions and the atmosphere is very relaxed. You could spend hours just playing Fascination if you really wanted. I would liked to have ridden Tig'rr coaster a few more times. I also wish Hoosier Hurricane was open, it was a shame to see such a nice looking coaster that goes along the water closed down.

Indiana Beach
Cornball Express - 6
Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain - 5
Steel Hawg - 6
Tig'rr Coaster - 6.5
P1010700.JPG
They gave us a buffet lunch with a plethora of options so unfortunately I didn't get to try the tacos.
P1010703.JPG
If I can get through it, anyone can.
P1010707.JPG
Viper was a pretty cool flat ride too.
P1010708.JPG
I agree, it is always time for popcorn.
P1010709.JPG
Don't act like you're not impressed....
P1010710.JPG
Pirate themed ride rules.
P1010711.JPG
I'm already really bloody scared.
P1010712.JPG
This is basically why we came to this park I think. Everyone was obsessed with this game.
P1010713.JPG
Cool ride signs too.
P1010720.JPG
P1010729.JPG
P1010731.JPG
I wish you were open!!!

Postby rubysparkles » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:03 am

The next day was Six Flags Great America. Again, I don't have many photos from this park, I guess I was just too busy running from ride to ride. Of course, the first order of business was to get in line for Goliath. On the first ride of the day I liked it but it didn't blow my mind. I really liked the hang time but I was definitely looking forward to getting a night ride in. It was my first RMC and I was impressed, but from the amazing things I'd heard about their coasters, I was a little disappointed.

Next up was X-Flight. I remember that the operations were actually laughably bad at this coaster. I don't know if we caught this on a bad day or what, but this was the first wing rider that I really disliked. The others were all fine coasters that I could enjoy. This one felt so slow around the course and had no forces at all, not once. It was boring as hell and it had quite a lot of vibration for a relatively new coaster. I had no inclination to go on it again. Definitely my least favourite, compared to Swarm, Parrot Coaster and Gatekeeper.

We got a few rides on Raging Bull in during the course of the day and evening and it was a pretty good coaster but definitely towards the bottom of the pack for B&M Hypers. Whizzer was the surprise of the day, I really enjoyed this coaster. It had a lot of forces for such a little thing, very deceptive. I thought Viper was a really fun wooden coaster and would probably put it somewhere just outside my top 10 woodies.

I was expecting Demon to be as painful as Corkscrew was at Cedar Point but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as that. The Superman, Batman and Dark Knight clones I've talked about before. I love B&M Flyers so I rate them much higher than most, I prefer the more compact and forceful earlier models of B&M inverts so Batman was also enjoyable for me. Vertical Velocity was good but I preferred the version at Dorney Park.

Overall, I found the park pretty lacklustre. It has a collection of 13 coasters but not many stand outs, Goliath is probably the best coaster in the park. None of the B&Ms are great examples of their models. They have a few uncommon coasters, like Whizzer that are interesting but not worth making a special visit for unless you are in the area. It's not the worst themed Six Flags park. This felt like a credit run, more than an enjoyable park day. Unlike the other parks I'd visited that had a lot of credits on this trip, I just wanted to get in and out of there ASAP. The night time rides on Goliath were a great end to the day and were probably my highlight, I'm so happy we managed to get 2 rides out of the Platinum Q-Bot. I can't actually imagine going to most Six Flags parks without purchasing the Flashpass Q-Bot, those things are awesome.

Six Flags Great America
American Eagle 6
Batman the Ride 7
Dark Knight 4
Demon 5
Goliath 8
Raging Bull 7
Superman Ultimate Flight 8 (if it's got a pretzel loop it basically gets an immediate 8 from me)
Vertical Velocity 7
Viper 7
Whizzer 7
X-Flight 6
P1010752.JPG
More like Zzz-Flight (I'm hilarious...)
P1010765.JPG
I heard a lot of good reviews when this first opened, so was disappointed at how sluggish it seemed.
P1010766.JPG
I *nearly* went on it...
P1010771.JPG
I love this poster. It's the intensity in his expression that really sells it.
P1010772.JPG
P1010773.JPG
The merry-go-round had some pretty awesome creatures to choose from.
P1010775.JPG
Not express. The regular line. Seriously?
P1010776.JPG
Viper was pretty fun!
P1010777.JPG
P1010778.JPG
P1010781.JPG
P1010791.JPG
Shame about all the brakes on this thing.
P1010794.JPG
It's pretty good for the first B&M hyper though.
P1010801.JPG
I think it's slightly better than Apollo's Chariot, but still that makes it the second worse B&M hyper that I've been on.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby mightypotato » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:25 pm

I completely agree with you about X-Flight. I found it to be really boring and dull. I also really liked Viper, though I've only ridden it last year when it was backwards. That was awesome.
Parks: 55, Steel: 234, Wood: 72, Total: 306
I ain't afraid of no rollycoaster!

Postby rubysparkles » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 am

Worlds of Fun was up next. Any theme park is going to have a rough time after doing a TPR tour, so it's not surprising that this park wasn't that impressive. Coaster-wise this park doesn't rank that low compared to some of the other parks I visited, however I did think this park was one of the worst I visited in terms of atmosphere and customer service. I was lucky to get to the park at all, as my godmother had to do some extra work and that meant our road trip down to Branson got pushed to the afternoon.This park was pretty much just a credit stop for me. I did think this park could quite easily be improved upon. The two main negatives were that the park map was kind of confusing and that the employees didn't have any idea where anything was. I had to ask three employees before finding one who could tell me how to get to one of the coasters. The food was the same as the other Cedar Fair parks I visited.

I think this park is comparable to Dorney Park. It felt busier to me than Dorney, some of the lines got very long very quickly in the morning. I guess there's less competition around Worlds of Fun, because I found Dorney Park a slightly better park. That means I think Worlds of Fun was my least favourite Cedar Fair park.

Mamba was a very fun coaster, but the operations were probably the worst I found on the entire trip. I got so bored waiting, that I timed the rides and it was over 5 minutes between dispatches. Patriot is my lowest ranked B&M invert. Prowler was a very good GCI coaster. I ranked it the second best out of the ones I have been on (after Wood Coaster at OCT East and before Kentucky Rumbler), but again the operations were poor which made the queue really drag. I left the park as soon as I hit all the coasters, I would have liked to have ridden a few of them again (Prowler and Mamba mainly) but the queues were fairly long and it was too frustrating to watch how slow everything was.

Worlds of Fun:
Patriot - 6
Prowler - 8
Mamba - 7
Spinning Dragon - 5
Boomerang - 4
P1010864.JPG
I really liked Patriot's setting but I didn't really enjoy the coaster that much.
P1010871.JPG
P1010875.JPG
Closed :(
P1010876.JPG
I did like the play on words at the booths!
P1010879.JPG
P1010888.JPG
Liked it about the same as Magnum XL-200 and thought it was a bit better than Steel Force.
P1010891.JPG
Boomerang was a boomerang. I was lucky it opened, as it was closed for most of the time I was at the park.
P1010898.JPG
P1010902.JPG
Nice colours.
P1010904.JPG
Prowler was definitely the best coaster in the park.
P1010905.JPG
It's short but very fun!
P1010915.JPG
P1010921.JPG
P1010942.JPG
Spinning Dragon was a good example of this type of coaster.
P1010952.JPG
P1010960.JPG
Worlds of Fun's skyline.
P1010965.JPG
A last look at Patriot.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:30 pm

rubysparkles wrote:That was a pretty weird but not completely astounding event. Luckily, things were only going to get even better when we looked for more air conditioning. This time we found an “Italian” restaurant. There were a bunch of people from the tour in there, lots of people. Lots of people who did not try to help me, who just tried not to laugh as I had one of the weirdest conversations of my life.

We were in awe of you patiently answering all of his bizarre questions without laughing. I have no idea how you did it, but we were seriously impressed.

Nice report and photos. Mini New Hotness was a fun trip!

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive