Photo TR: Divv California Adventure

Final Update: Sea World San Diego & More!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Photo TR: Divv California Adventure

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:06 pm

x2isawesome wrote:Not sure on this one, but I have heard they are both the same thing.

But it's the difference in atmousephere, or where you eat it, yes? No? ;)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:53 pm

x2isawesome wrote:Not sure on this one, but I have heard they are both the same thing.

That's what I was thinking. Cooking them up fresh to order makes a big difference, too.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:53 pm.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby x2isawesome » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:18 pm

In the world of fried foods, being fresh or not can make a world of difference.

I blame Mike! ELEVEN TIMES.

Postby Brad_G » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:01 pm

The WB tour looks awsome, defiantly on my list of 'to dos' in Hollywood.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby OLSinFLA » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:08 pm

I remember decades ago I had a friend was was an exec at WB. I got a pass from him and was dropped off by him in the middle of River City, lowa and told I could go anywhere there wasn't red lights or signs. I got not only a free run of the stdio, but also Burbank Ranch. I wasn't allowed to take any pics which was a shame, but I'll always remember the odd sights - like the Waltons house across from the Fantasy Island house at the Ranch. Or the western town with all the doors missing (apparently they had taken them to a standing real set for Maverick, to make sure it matched backlot footage). :)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:13 pm

Fried foods are EVIL. :evil:

Sorry, that's the way I feel, after so much of it on the TPR 2014 Scandi Tour. So much
fried food offered - and I went with salads instead. Go figger...

*(Sorry I went that way, Divv. Great report btw....)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Controlled by a sentient spreadsheet...

Part 11: World's First McDonald's Museum

Postby Divv3k » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:37 am

After our late finish at Disneyland we hit the road the next morning to make the drive to Las Vegas. One of the stops we had planned out for this road trip was in San Bernardino. Now you'll remember a few updates ago I posted an update from the the world's oldest operating McDonald's but that was the third restaurant. Yes, there was a couple of restaurants even older than that one which no longer exist.

One of those of course is the very first McDonald's restaurant that was opened as a BBQ joint by brothers Dick and Mack McDonald in 1940. In the 1950s they changed the place to a hamburger fast food restaurant and eventually sold the franchise rights to Ray Kroc and the rest is history. This restaurant is long since closed down and demolished but a new building that now exists on the site was purchased by the Juan Pollo chain a while back where a museum commemorating the history of McDonald's now sits in its place. This location is not officially recognised by the McDonald's Corporation however. There's a museum in Des Plaines. Illinois where the ninth store was built (Ray Kroc's first) which the company officially says is their first store. But now you know better! (I'd still love to visit the museum in Illinois though!)

When you enter the museum you are greeted by the curator who ushers you around and gives you a detailed history lesson on the company. You can tell the place is not official - it all looks a bit thrown together but what they have there is fascinating and it's great that this landmark still exists to such a historical site.
image001.jpg
More McDonald's history! Here I am at the site of the very first McDonald's restaurant in San Bernardino, California!
image002.jpg
You enter the museum and the first thing that grabs your eye is that utterly terrifying Grimace costume!
image003.jpg
There's a whole wall showing photos of some of the early restaurants and staff.
image004.jpg
Here's one of those milkshake mixers that Ray Kroc was selling when he encountered McDonald's and decided upon a career change.
image005.jpg
There's just cabinets upon cabinets of old school Happy Meal toys.
image006.jpg
Old busted fryers and bricks from the original restaurant - yup, they have those!
image007.jpg
A look back to happier times when Disney was in bed with McDonald's.
image008.jpg
More old school Happy Meal tat.
image009.jpg
There were some really awesome employee hats over the years. I'd love to see our good Brit Crew friend, Brad in one of those Big Mac hats!
image010.jpg
McDonald's razor blades?! It was a thing in 1980 apparently!
image011.jpg
These are happy meal boxes from way before my time. I love that they joined to make a train!
image012.jpg
The world's longest french fry (at one point at least, I've no idea if it still is). Looks delicious!
image013.jpg
The curator collects McDonald's promotional boxes from all over the world and encourages visitors from other countries to send theirs in. (I can kind of relate to this!)
image014.jpg
McDonald's Lego! YES!
image015.jpg
Mac Tonight was apparently some campaign from the 80s or 90s in the US. I don't think we ever saw it in the UK. Cool sign!
image016.jpg
It's worth taking a huge detour on any drive just to see one of the original straws from the McDonald brothers' 1940 Barbeque place!
image017.jpg
Here's a picture of what the original restaurant looked like before it was demolished.
image018.jpg
The outside of the building has a few items taken from McDonald's playgrounds over the years.
image019.jpg
There's loads of random pictures from the history of the company and other random San Bernardino stuff painted over the walls.
image020.jpg
And that's the Original McDonald's Museum! Like I said in the earlier update, I'm really fascinated by the history of McDonald's and since we were passing on the way to Vegas this made a pretty cool stop for us. Check it out if you're ever stopping by!

Up next is Nevada - a new state credit for me!

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:55 am

The decent into geekdom continues! Great report, I'm filing this under "you learn something new every day!"

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:22 am

The "world's longest French fry" looks like some horrifying worm you'd encounter in the Amazon.

I remember the "Mac Tonight" campaign. The singing Moon Man was kind of creepy, yet sort of cool.

Controlled by a sentient spreadsheet...

Postby Divv3k » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:37 am

^ Man, that really is creepy yet strangely cool!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive