Photo TR: Divv California Adventure

Final Update: Sea World San Diego & More!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Site Admin

Re: Photo TR: Divv California Adventure

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:39 am

Divv3k wrote:something has gone badly awry in the management of Six Flags in the last few years.

Nailed it.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby RCjunkie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:52 am

cfc wrote:Yep--I'm old enough to remember when McDonald's had no dining rooms.

And I am old enough to remember when McDonald's fries were deep fried in beef tallow back in the 70's that made them taste so much better than today. Of course that came with a greater health cost to my arteries but damn did they taste good!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:58 pm

I know I may sound stupid for asking this (granted), but how do I make a trip report?
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Carowinds

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

Controlled by a sentient spreadsheet...

Part 8: Warner Bros Studios

Postby Divv3k » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:29 am

From a trip lowpoint to the absolute highlight - Warner Bros Studios! For this day we plumped for the $250 6 hour deluxe tour around the studio. There's a two hour version which costs about $50 but we decided to go all out for this one and it turned out to be a great decision. The deluxe version includes access to loads of places not on the cheaper tour and also includes an amazing lunch in the commissary on the lot. If I ever get the opportunity I certainly will be doing the WB deluxe tour again!

There are quite a few parts of the tour where cameras aren't allowed - foley studios, sound mixing studios and pretty much everything that's indoors on the lot. There's an incredible huge museum here with props from Warner Bros movies over the decades (and a full floor of Potter stuff but we were too intrigued by all the other movie props to even check that out). The tour also concluded with a visit to the sets of The Mentalist and Big Bang Theory! Very cool.

Alright, so that's the stuff we couldn't photograph. Here's the rest!
image001.jpg
It's a bright and early morning and we've made our way over to Warner Bros Studios in Burbank!
image002.jpg
We're special, so special!
image003.jpg
Right away the extra we laid down for the deluxe tour was paying off when we got hold a real Oscar statue! It's heavy!
image004.jpg
Here comes our deluxe golf cart!
image005.jpg
Even the bottled water they give you makes you feel special!
image006.jpg
Like the Paramount tour this one starts out with a tour around the backlot where the guide points out all the different shows and movies shot here.
image007.jpg
The building on the left has been used in movies on this lot since the 1920s!
image008.jpg
For some reason it appears to be mandatory that all movie studios have a water with their logo emblazoned upon it.
image009.jpg
This little nugget in the backlot excited me immensely!
image010.jpg
Yup, this is the staircase down to the little shop from the start of Gremlins!
image011.jpg
You probably saw parts of this street whenever they needed to go outdoors on Friends!
image012.jpg
There's some things money can't buy. For everything else there's.. wait, what? BankMaster?!
image013.jpg
Here's the alleyway where Kirsten Dunst got her upside down on with Tobey Maguire!
image014.jpg
Merlotte's! This place will do bad things to you!
image015.jpg
"Must go faster". Yeah, this is where they shot the T-Rex chase in Jurassic Park! It's really tiny too - they just kept turning the car around and driving over the same hundred yards!
image016.jpg
In Hollywood a roof on your house is optional.
image017.jpg
All these houses are used when needed in shoots and double as production offices.
image018.jpg
The entrance to more offices on the lot or an airport from The West Wing? It's both!
image019.jpg
Like Paramount, WB have their own movie theatre on the lot.
image020.jpg
You probably don't realise how many times you've saw this exact Subway entrance on TV and in movies.
image021.jpg
Here's the Friends stage! This is where the apartments and Central Perk stood for ten years!
image022.jpg
I think this is where the Ark of the Covenant ended up.
image023.jpg
Whenever you see a WB movie now this is the building that appears right at the start.
image024.jpg
Simon Helberg lived here for an entire summer hiatus.
image025.jpg
This entire day was like being in Charlie Wonka's factory for movie fans!
image026.jpg
Yes! The ultimate Batmobile! It'll never look better than this!
image027.jpg
Though those Tumblers certainly do look much more practical!
image028.jpg
I was one of the only Chuck fans in the world so this was cool to see!
image029.jpg
They took a green screen photo of us and told us we'd get a souvenir photo at the end of the day. Some guests got a Superman photo and we got stupid Potter. Damn!
image030.jpg
Prop storage! Very cool place to visit!
image031.jpg
Michael, what a joker.
image032.jpg
Casablanca tat!
image033.jpg
Ooooh! President Bartlet's desk! So cool!
image034.jpg
Speaking of cool..
image035.jpg
The Deluxe tour guests get to visit the Central Perk set by themselves without all the other guests running around.
image036.jpg
After the show ended the entire set was moved from Stage 24 to the prop warehouse so tour guests could see it for themselves!
image037.jpg
The thing that amazed me was how small it is!
image038.jpg
Seriously. it's Disneyland Castle small!
image039.jpg
May I take your order!
image040.jpg
We're both huge Friends fans so this was awesome to see in person!
image041.jpg
Here's the soundstage where ER was shot for 15 years!
image042.jpg
And a little more for the ER fans - the L train station!
image043.jpg
Of course like all good tour we end in the gift shop. We had such a good day we ended up buying some WB tat!
image044.jpg
Hands down the highlight of the trip! There were so many cool things on this tour that I couldn't show you here but it really is all awesome. If you're any kind of movie fan I would highly recommend checking out the deluxe tour if you ever get the chance!
Last edited by Divv3k on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:27 am.

Part 8(b): Pacific Park

Postby Divv3k » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:29 am

After our visit to WB we had another wander around Hollywood and took a little visit over to Santa Monica...
image045.jpg
Meltdown comics! This was another place that was on my list of Hollywood places to visit!
image046.jpg
It's a really kickass comic book shop!
image047.jpg
This is also where loads of Nerdist podcasts and stuff is recorded.
image048.jpg
This shop is also kind of a museum with some of the old stuff they have here.
image049.jpg
Yeah, that's action Comics number 1! It's worth a little more than 10 cents now...
image050.jpg
Some super expensive landmark Spider-Man books! I loved this place!
image051.jpg
Just so Michael has some proof that he actually visited Hollywood.
image052.jpg
Our evening stop was Santa Monica Pier!
image053.jpg
It looks really cool at night!
image054.jpg
Pacific Park entrance photo!
image055.jpg
This place has probably been in as many movies as some of the spots we visited on the backlot.
image056.jpg
This was a quick visit so we just bought our tickets for the coaster and got on our way.
image057.jpg
This appears to be the only photo of the coaster in action that I have! Oops! It's alright!
image058.jpg
Our dinner stop tonight was also pretty awesome... In-N-Out!
image059.jpg
Double Double Animal Style! So good! Between this and Five Guys all our burger needs on this tour were truly covered!
image060.jpg
What a day! And Pacific Park was a great way to top it off!

Knott's is up next!

Part 9: Knott's Berry Farm

Postby Divv3k » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:10 am

Our next morning took us to Knott's Berry Farm - the way our schedule worked out we could really only visit on a Saturday so we decided to do as much as we could in the morning while the crowds were light and then we ducked out and went back to Disney. The park feels very "Cedar Fair" but there is some good stuff here...

Like I say, this was a quick visit so there aren't a lot of photos...
image001.jpg
New park credit for me!
image002.jpg
Of course we started the day over at Xcelerator - I really liked this! One of my favourite Intamin launchers.
image003.jpg
Ugh, a boomerang.
image004.jpg
We missed the new section by a few weeks, but that's okay since we weren't expecting to ride everything on this visit.
image005.jpg
Pony Express. A bit of a weird ride for this park but it doesn attract a decent crowd.
image006.jpg
Ghost Rider was closed. I'm under the impression that I should be thankful that this was the case!
image007.jpg
Silver Bullet! One of the tamer B&M inverts for sure but certainly one of the better rides in Knott's.
image008.jpg
We were tricked into waiting in a long line for jaguar - I didn't realise that pyramid thing where the queue is goes on for so long!
image009.jpg
And that was about it for Knott's. I'll come back here again some other time when it's not so crowded!

Next up - back to Disneyland!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:32 am

Knott's has been getting some of its "old-time charm" back over the last few years, which is a good thing. I'd love the take the Warner Bros. VIP Tour some day, too.

Part 10: More Disneyland!

Postby Divv3k » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:50 am

After our morning at Knott's we went for some lunch and then headed back to Disneyland. This was a Saturday evening so we didn't have any grand plans of riding stuff. Instead we just wanted to chill out and see the fireworks and Fantasmic. If any ride opportunities presented themselves then we'd be happy... Turned out to be quite a good evening where a lot of the rides had no lines really late on which meant we actually got a hell of a lot in!
image001.jpg
Rather than eat lunch at Knott's we tracked down lunch at Taco Bell seeing as I had some important credits to obtain!
image002.jpg
For the last time on this trip we arrive at Disneyland!
image003.jpg
Oh no, a parade!
image004.jpg
Good thing we got all our rides in on our previous visit this week!
image005.jpg
Ooft, that's a lot of people!
image006.jpg
Finally we succumbed to one of the long lines...
image007.jpg
But it was for a Dole Whip! Michael needed to pop that cherry!
image008.jpg
We decided to hop over to DCA and found that the Radiator Springs Racers single rider line is really quite tolerable even on a busy Saturday!
image009.jpg
We didn't ride Luigi's Tires but it doesn't look like it does a whole lot!
image010.jpg
Jeff introduced me to these awesome corn dogs last year so I was really excited to get another this time.
image011.jpg
The sun is setting so that means it's time to leave DCA and head back over to Disneyland for...
image012.jpg
Soup! Here's another delight that Jeff introduced me to the previous year. The soup in bread bowl combo is so good!
image013.jpg
Fantasmic! While not as orgasmic as the Tokyo version it's miles better than the one in Florida.
image014.jpg
Apparently they have fireworks around of the castle. If anyone can point out a castle around here to me that would be magic. Thanks.
image015.jpg
On the way out of the park I made sure to stop by the town hall to get Michael his obligatory first visit badge.
image016.jpg
we actually got a load of stuff done later this evening - Mansion, Pirates, Indy and more. When everyone leaves after Fantasmic it's a pretty good time to get a lot done!

Alright, that's it for Disneyland on this trip. Up next - More McDonald's history!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:48 am

I've had the great corn dogs they sell in that trailer on Main Street, but have yet to sample the ones at Corn Dog Palace.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby x2isawesome » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Not sure on this one, but I have heard they are both the same thing.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive