Photo TR: Divv California Adventure

Final Update: Sea World San Diego & More!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Site Admin

Re: Photo TR: Divv California Adventure

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:29 pm

WFChris wrote:I know SFMM has its up days and down days, but do you think that maybe being at the DLR for 2 days before visiting may have affected the visit?

No. Divv knows a good and a bad run park when he sees it. He's been to China. ;)

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby WFChris » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:33 pm

LOL 'nuff said!!!
My MEXICO adventures with TPR and MORE!!!!
TOUCH ME to read along

What I do and who I am

Postby pianojohn » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:37 pm

I could not agree more. Had the WORST time there last spring when half the coasters weren't running due to wind. By the way, wind in SFMM terms means "we are too damn cheap and lazy to staff our rides, so we will make up any excuse not to open them."

The sad thing is that I went to the park in 1980 and had a great time back then. Maybe I was still in awe of Revolution and Colossus before they got neutered, trimmed to death, and restraints changed.

The highlight of my trip was leaving and going to In-and-Out Burger then DCA for the evening.
CA Trip 235.JPG
My feeling for the day. F you SFMM!

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:47 pm

I haven't been to Magic Mountain in a few years, but I feel the same way about it that Divv does. Even back then, I felt it to be a "cold, poorly run" park, only to be outdone by Castles and Coasters with smoking ride attendants. :lmao:
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Awesome report. It really does seem like a chore going to that park. I can't honestly remember the last time I was actually excited to go there. Only Six Flags could utterly destroy a park that has such potential.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Nwstone » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:40 pm

I don't think anyone would imagine that the park with the most coasters would be so unenjoyable.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby SFMM fanboy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:57 pm

WFChris wrote:I know SFMM has its up days and down days, but do you think that maybe being at the DLR for 2 days before visiting may have affected the visit? I just know it's hard going from one of the best themed and well run parks in the world to SFMM the very next day.

I have found that when showing friends from out of town around, I like to do SFMM first, that way it 'seems' good and fun...until the visit to the DLR :)

I was thinking the same exact thing. Although SFMM is my home park, I will admit that it has some serious problems. If all you care about is coasters, that SFMM is your place, but if you want a higer quality park, than practically any other park in SoCal will fit the bill.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby GigaG » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Green Lantern is another curiosity – curious in that Six Flags somehow managed to completely mess up one of the best rides in the world! How they can take a ride that’s the exact same make, model and layout as the incredible Insane in Gronalund and turn it into such a tame kiddie-like ride beggars belief.

SFMM believes that Americans are, as I say, made of butter and cannot appreciate intense rides.
"Official" Cedar Fair fanboy!
Favorite Steel: Maverick|Favorite Wood: El Toro, Goliath is close behind|Favorite non-prefab/RMC woodie: Hard to say. Probably Shivering Timbers or Georgia Cyclone
Favorite Flats (in no particular order) - MoA NU Brain Surge, Chance Chaos, Flying Scooters, drop towers
I take a stand against unnecessary neutering of rides. Restore Revolution, Blue Streak, Dorney Thunderhawk, Raging Bull, etc...

Controlled by a sentient spreadsheet...

Postby Divv3k » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:32 am

WFChris wrote:I know SFMM has its up days and down days, but do you think that maybe being at the DLR for 2 days before visiting may have affected the visit? I just know it's hard going from one of the best themed and well run parks in the world to SFMM the very next day.

That might be fair if I was only using Disney as a frame of reference but really I'm basing my review (and pre-visit expectations) off my previous visits to other Six Flags parks in 2007 and 2010. Based on this visit to Magic Mountain it appears that either Magic Mountain is an anomaly in the chain or that something has gone badly awry in the management of Six Flags in the last few years.

I don't like to write a negative trip report, if you look through my history of TRs on this site you'll see that I've only wrote a handful of overly negative TRs over the years (Fuji-Q comes to mind!), I really am quite positive in my trip reports wherever I can be. Like Robb said, I've been to a fair few badly run parks over the years and it pains me when I have to visit one with the potential of a park like Magic Mountain.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby coasterchitchat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:15 am

Do you think if Cedar Fair had enough cash to buy SFMM back in 2007 and bought the park, do you think park would be way better now? I've never been to SFMM to judge, but the only thing I hear about this park is bad, bad management and too many coaster and not enough flats.
Vekoma is English means, "We don't have the budget for a B&M so let's just order a Vekoma."

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive