Photo TR: California Dreamin'

Alameda County Fair, Waterworld, & San Diego!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Photo TR: California Dreamin'

Postby sfmman2000 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks for the great trip report from the Boardwalk (and other parks)!

Canobie Coaster wrote:I was very impressed by how the park had a flume with a custom layout instead of the cookie cutter version I see at my local carnivals.

If only the park could have gone with a custom layout for Undertow, too.
Lucky for us, I've been told Logger's Revenge will remain at the park for a long time. If they ever wanted to replace it with something different, the park would have to deal with approvals, height restrictions, and they wouldn't be able to build a ride that goes over the railroad tracks like Logger's does.

Canobie Coaster wrote:This had a very weird cycle. It went super fast forwards. To my amazement it started going backwards, but it never picked up much speed and was over very quickly. What a tease.

Yeah, the backwards cycle is really short and slow. I think it's because when the ride slows down after going backwards, the cars rock very high (not exactly sure why). Going backwards any faster would cause a lot of out-of-control cars...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 pm

cfc wrote:I've been to Santa Cruz, although that was a long time ago, but I've only driven by Discovery Kingdom (always in the off season). Thanks for the photos.

Discovery Kingdom is definitely worth visiting. Superman and Medusa are a great 1-2 punch. I just recommend that you get there right at opening to avoid lines.

sfmman2000 wrote:If only the park could have gone with a custom layout for Undertow, too.

I really like the Mauer-Sohne spinning layout. It's compact but provides a little of everything. I do want to try the largest versions in Europe someday like Winjas and Dragon's Fury.

scottiemom wrote:You have done a great job with our theme parks. I look forward to your CGA report.

Wait no longer! I really enjoyed California's Great America. The park was clean, all the employees were friendly, the food was decent, and the ride lineup was great. Flight Deck and Gold Striker were wonderful as promised and the park also had a nice flat ride lineup.

One last note, if anyone is in the area, I highly recommend the House of Bagels across the street. They are definitely the best bagels I've had since coming out to California.
Carousel Columbia.JPG
All of the former Paramount parks have really nice entrances, Great America included.
Gold Striker Lift Hill.JPG
The park struck gold with this coaster. It had the park's longest line all day.
Gold Striker Aerial.JPG
Gold Striker was a fantastic GCI and the second best wooden coaster in California after Apocalypse.
Flight Deck Drop.JPG
Top G...Flight Deck was my favorite ride at the park.
Flight Deck Corkscrew.JPG
It was short, but intense.
Vortex.JPG
Vortex, Apocalypse, Green Lantern, and Riddler's Revenge are my four least favorite B&M's. Notice a theme?
Rip Roaring Rapids.JPG
The second I sat down on the raft I had an inkling that I would get soaked. Then I saw the waterfall.
Psycho Mouse Entrance.JPG
This park has a mouse just like Disneyland.
Snoopy Cookie.JPG
And more of a dog than Goofy.
Psycho Mouse Turn.JPG
I liked the slightly banked turns on this wild mouse. Honestly, it was the best standard mouse coaster I've been on.
Grizzly Hill.JPG
Grizzly failed to live up to its reputation. It wasn't even the worst coaster in the park (I'm looking at you Vortex). It was smooth but didn't have much excitement.
Demon Loop.JPG
Demon was like an old man at a bar with game. You wouldn't expect it to be smooth, but it was.
Taxi Jam.JPG
I didn't stoop this low.
Woodstock's Express Drop.JPG
But I did stoop this low.
Drop Tower.JPG
Drop Tower packed a serious punch. I wish all of the S&S towers could transfigure into Intamin drop towers.
Firefall Water.JPG
I thought this was called Firefall.
Firefall Fire.JPG
That's more like it.
Whitewater Falls.JPG
How I came off this dry, I do not know.
Logger's Revenge.JPG
Double dip!
Peanuts Pirates.JPG
Planet Snoopy was quite big and had a nice mix of rides for all ages.
Tiki Twirl.JPG
You need to bring me your torch. Survivor the Ride, your tribe has spoken.
Down Under Thunder.JPG
The park also had a small water park that got pretty crowded come mid-afternoon.
YOLO Glasses.JPG
Always remember, YOLO.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Waldameer & Canada's Wonderland

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:54 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Always remember, YOLO.

Hey! Those are at the wrong park! :x
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:25 am

I agree that Grizzly is simply boring. There are worse wooden coasters in California that simply beat the crap out of you (I'm looking at you Ghostrider).

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simon8899 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:39 am

Have to visit this park next time in SF. Next year goes for NYC-Chicago-NYC but already have enough for an extra US trip an am still split for Georgia-Texas and Calif-Revisit... :roll:

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:12 am

cfc wrote:I agree that Grizzly is simply boring. There are worse wooden coasters in California that simply beat the crap out of you (I'm looking at you Ghostrider).

Grizzly has really come a long way in the last few years. It's still boring, but it is reaching Giant Dipper levels of smoothness. They park has done an amazing job on the track work. And now with Gold Striker there, Grizzly is a great ride to have. It's much more family friendly, and people generally love it. If it's not enough for a thrill seeker, then they can just go ride Gold Striker. I have very fond memories as a small child absolutely loving Grizzly. I'm sure thats why the park is intent on keeping it and maintaining it.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:15 am

I just read through this whole thread and enjoyed every update. Great captions too... especially this one

Riddle me this, riddle me that. What ride is green and sucks? This one.

Which made me literally burst out laughing at work. I guess it serves me right for looking at TPR at work though. lol

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:22 am

But I did stoop this low

Don't feel bad! I do too! An Intamin kiddie coaster?!?! What's the problem? ;)
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:57 am

rcjp wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:Always remember, YOLO.

Hey! Those are at the wrong park! :x

I know; it would have been so more fitting if they were outside a certain Premier Rides launched coaster.

cfc wrote:I agree that Grizzly is simply boring. There are worse wooden coasters in California that simply beat the crap out of you (I'm looking at you Ghostrider).

I heard I didn't miss much when Ghostrider was down for a rehab when I was at Knott's but I still wanted to give it a try. For reference, Hershey's Wildcat with the PTC trains was one of my favorite coasters because of the intensity of the ride. I don't mind getting thrown around a bit on a wooden coaster. Headbanging is a major no-no for me though.

Double0Kevin wrote:Grizzly has really come a long way in the last few years. It's still boring, but it is reaching Giant Dipper levels of smoothness. They park has done an amazing job on the track work. And now with Gold Striker there, Grizzly is a great ride to have. It's much more family friendly, and people generally love it. If it's not enough for a thrill seeker, then they can just go ride Gold Striker. I have very fond memories as a small child absolutely loving Grizzly. I'm sure thats why the park is intent on keeping it and maintaining it.

Grizzly had one of the longer lines. While that is partially due to painstakingly slow-loading and a one-train operation, there were several families in line. It's a perfect gateway coaster for kids and I'd take that over a Zierer tivoli coaster anyday.

coasterbill wrote:Which made me literally burst out laughing at work. I guess it serves me right for looking at TPR at work though. lol

That's why I can only go on TPR during my lunch break :p

DJeXeL wrote:Don't feel bad! I do too! An Intamin kiddie coaster?!?! What's the problem?

I felt a little weird sitting in the back of the train with a beard while the rest of the train was filled with kids. It kind of felt like walking into Chuck E. Cheese's alone to play the Mario Kart racing game (which I debated a few weeks ago until I realized how creepy that could look).
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:53 am

California gave me the opportunity to visit the largest fair I have ever been to, the Alameda County Fair. Back in New England, there is the Big E, but I have never been able to make it out there due to school or its distance from my house. The two largest I've been to are the Marshfield Fair and the Topsfield Fair. While both of those fairs are quite good, I visited so many Fiesta Shows carnivals when I was younger that I sort of rode their rides to death.

The Alameda County Fair was in Pleasanton and had a midway provided by Butler Amusements. The ride lineup was fantastic! There were two areas of the midway- a kiddieland and a major ride area. I thought it was great that the fair split the two areas up to disperse the older crowd and families. Butler Amusements definitely didn't skimp on pendulum style rides, as they had a KMG Fireball, a Fabbri Footloose (kamikaze), and a very rare Fabbri Evolution. My favorite ride was the Zipper, which shouldn't shock anyone.

The midway also had four roller coasters- a Fabbri Pole Position, the Zillerator Coaster (Pinfari Z40), Wisdom Orient Express, and a Wacky Worm. The Zillerator had some surprisingly good drops and pops of air. Pole Position was smooth for the most part, but the spinning was sort of weird and segmented. Then the two kiddie coasters were credits.
Orient Express.JPG
I was a Good Samaritan. After I saw that a parent was too large to fit in the vehicle with their child, I kindly offered to ride. It makes it sound better than I was a credit whore desperate looking for any excuse to ride the dragon.
Pole Position.JPG
El Toro...for rednecks!
White Water.JPG
Very fitting name. The water was indeed very white.
Slide of Death.JPG
The large fun house was fantastic! It spanned three levels and had a moving vertical staircase (my favorite funhouse element anywhere), a barrel, and several other gags. It also had the slide of death. I definitely shouldn't have had that corn dog before going in there since it was quite the tight fit.
Midway.JPG
Here is an overview of the midway from one of the three full size Ferris Wheels.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive