Photo TR: California Dreamin'

Alameda County Fair, Waterworld, & San Diego!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
2 + 2 = donkey!

Re: Photo TR: California Dreamin'

Postby PalmTree55 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 am

What company did you get an internship with?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby thesman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:50 pm

Nice trip report. I did the same thing this past summer. Trust me you don't want to ride the ghost rider. It was one of the most bumpy rickety coasters I've been on. Unfortunately when i was at sfmm my sister wasn't feeling well when there so we left early i only got to ride drop of doom, X2,green lantern, Goliath, revolution and Tatsu.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:59 am

PalmTree55 wrote:What company did you get an internship with?

I'm at the Lawrence Livermore National Lab. I needed to make sure I do everything in California this summer. I started with Southern California since it's a bit of a trip using public transit.

thesman wrote:Nice trip report. I did the same thing this past summer. Trust me you don't want to ride the ghost rider. It was one of the most bumpy rickety coasters I've been on. Unfortunately when i was at sfmm my sister wasn't feeling well when there so we left early i only got to ride drop of doom, X2,green lantern, Goliath, revolution and Tatsu.

I've heard it's rough, but I still wanted to try it since I can tolerate aggressive woodies like Hershey's Wildcat pre-Millennium Flyers. At least you got on most of the park's best rides. The one amazing one you missed was Apocalypse.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Waldameer & Canada's Wonderland

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby WFChris » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:17 pm

I rode GhostRider yesterday, in the center of the train, and it was actually running pretty well. A little rough at the bottom of the drops but nothing too uncomfortable.

The only real 'SMH' moment is when they stop you before 'the' drop. It's wildly depressing every time.
My MEXICO adventures with TPR and MORE!!!!
TOUCH ME to read along

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:49 pm

WFChris wrote:I rode GhostRider yesterday, in the center of the train, and it was actually running pretty well. A little rough at the bottom of the drops but nothing too uncomfortable.

The only real 'SMH' moment is when they stop you before 'the' drop. It's wildly depressing every time.

I remember seeing that for the first time in a POV and thinking my Internet went down. That's crazy.

Sorry it has been a while since my last update, but here's Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk! I loved this park. It had an outstanding ride lineup and the park's location is perfect right along the beach. The Giant Dipper was just as good as advertised and the classic carousel with the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings was a hoot. I will definitely be making another visit there by the end of summer. Onto the photos!
Beach.JPG
What a beautiful day to go to the beach! And when I say the beach, I mean Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
Giant Dipper Accolades.JPG
That's more awards than the Titanic.
Giant Dipper Turn.JPG
Kate Winslet has nothing on those curves.
Giant Dipper Drop 2.JPG
And there's Leonardo...
Giant Dipper Panoramic.JPG
The Giant Dipper was the perfect classic wooden coaster. There was some really good air in the back and wild laterals. To top it off, she is still smooth after all these years.
Undertow Layout.JPG
It's the new kid on the block, and I don't mean Donnie Wahlburg.
Undertow First Drop (Far).JPG
I love Mauer Sohne spinners. They are very rerideable.
Logger's Revenge Drop.JPG
I was very impressed by how the park had a flume with a custom layout instead of the cookie cutter version I see at my local carnivals.
Cave Train Adventure.JPG
The park really crams a ton of rides in. There are multiple layers to the boardwalk much like a classic deep dish pizza (aka not Uno).
WipeOut.JPG
This was the surprise hit of my visit. The indoor breakdance was extremely disorienting.
Fireball.JPG
Whoever told me not to play with fire was wrong.
Double Shot Base.JPG
Resist urge to make a phallic joke. Resist urge to make a phallic joke.
derp.jpg
I couldn't...
Carousel.JPG
These ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings > Green Lantern's ring
Carousel Organ.JPG
Who needs an organ when you have an iPhone?
Carousel Clown.JPG
You're gonna die clown!
Tsunami.JPG
This park just loves to name rides after storms.
Rock n Roll.JPG
This had a very weird cycle. It went super fast forwards. To my amazement it started going backwards, but it never picked up much speed and was over very quickly. What a tease.
Sea Serpent Drop.JPG
I can explain. I needed to ride this in order to reach credit 200 when I went to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.
Sea Serpent Terrain.JPG
I was a credit whore for the greater good.
Sky Glider Dummy.JPG
That's a creative way to fill empty seats.
Werid Bike Thing.JPG
They see me rolling. I saw this contraption driving to the park. It cost the guy $5,000!
Bridge.JPG
So in California, people don't jaywalk but they will do this.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:53 pm

Kate Winslet has nothing on those curves.

Well, let's not go crazy here. ;)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:06 pm

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom was a decent experience. It took me almost 4 hours to get there due to Vallejo's awful public transit, but I was still able to get to the park before opening. The park's theming was pretty good towards the back of the park and most of the employees were friendly. In terms of rides, Superman and Medusa were excellent but the rest of the park wasn't all that special in my opinion.

My theme of the day was my quest for my 200th credit. Entering the day, I had counted 193 credits. I wanted either Superman or Medusa as my 200th coaster. I decided to make it Medusa since I anticipated (correctly) that Superman's line would be terrible come the afternoon. I rode Superman 3 times without any wait as soon as the park opened and loved it. Medusa was my 7th coaster of the day and what I believed was my 200th credit...but then I realized that I had forgotten to include Six Flags New England's Gotham City Gauntlet in my credit list later that night so Kong became my 200th credit. That ride was painful in so many ways, but I guess I deserve it for being a credit whore. Onto the pictures!
Park Entrance.JPG
This is like the ugly duckling of impulse coasters yet it hangs above the main entrance.
Dolphin.JPG
I wish I was Aquaman so I could talk to you. Wait no I don't. That would mean that I would have to be Aquaman.
Superman Ultimate Flight.JPG
So much better than Superman Returns.
Superman Ultimate Flight with Bizarro.JPG
It even has the constipated Bizarro cutout from Six Flags New England!
Superman Ultimate Flight Outside the Park.JPG
Superman was my favorite ride in the park. It was a rush from start to finish and had incredible air-time going over the drop and down the twisting drop.
Roar First Drop.JPG
Roar's operator was singing "Happy Birthday" to random people in line. Then they boarded the coaster and got their birthday beatings.
V2.JPG
V2! Because U2 was already taken.
Boomerang.JPG
Boomerang was a necessary evil to reach credit 200.
Boomerang Empty Station.JPG
The rest of the park guests were smart.
Cobra.JPG
This made me feel like I was sitting on a vibrator.
Kong.JPG
I gave the park my fingerprint, but now I am their prisoner?
Kong First Drop.JPG
And they can torture me?
Medusa Maintenance 1.JPG
Just as I was about to board, the ride broke down.
Medusa Maintenance 2.JPG
Was I going to be denied Medusa as my 200th credit? Well yes and no. I was able to ride it after, but past laziness came back to bite me.
Medusa Zero-G Roll.JPG
My 200th credit that wasn't.
Medusa First Drop.JPG
I wish more B&Ms had straight drops.
Medusa Exit Zero-G.JPG
Medusa is my new favorite floorless. The first drop was outstanding and I loved the sequence of inversions.
Medusa Helix.JPG
The area around Sky Screamer is a great place to get some photos of Medusa.
Road Runner Express.JPG
I would like to say that I rode this to help me reach credit 200, but I rode it afterwards because I could. Mock me accordingly.
Hammerhead Shark.JPG
The park had some decent non-coasters too. I really liked the custom design of the Hammerhead Shark.
Thrilla Gorilla.JPG
And Thrilla Gorilla.
Monkey Business.JPG
And Monkey Business.
White Water Safari.JPG
I wanted to ride this, but I didn't feel like waiting an hour. So I found alternatives.
Monsoon Falls.JPG
Perfect!
Tsnuami Soaker.JPG
Tsunami Soaker was a major hit among families. The ride was a lot of fun and I can see a lot of other Six Flags parks adding these.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:45 am

I've been to Santa Cruz, although that was a long time ago, but I've only driven by Discovery Kingdom (always in the off season). Thanks for the photos.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby coasternate » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:06 am

Great report! I have been to both of those parks multiple times, and love them!
I love Disney parks and RMCs. Bay Area

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby scottiemon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:14 pm

You have done a great job with our theme parks. I look forward to your CGA report.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive