Chuck's Shameless Nostalgia TR: TPR's 2006 UK Trip

UPDATE, May 7: Liseberg
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Chuck's Shameless Nostalgia TR: TPR's 2006 UK Trip

Postby cfc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:45 am

^That Joyland dark ride stalled out while Karen was riding it. As I recall, the attendant had to go in and push her car out.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:41 pm

SO much that I have forgotten about this trip!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:09 pm

^Let's see how much you remember about Thorpe Park, our next stop.

I knew nearly nothing about Thrope back in 2006, except that it was the home of Nemesis "Not Nearly as Good at Alton's Nemesis" Inferno. I'd also heard that the park tended to be very crowded, and that the crowds were often rather, to use Lightwater Valley's term, "yobbish." Well, the park was indeed very crowded, and I did find the crowd to be slightly more yobbish than, say, at Kings Dominion. Operations were not exactly top-of-the-line, either.

But I did think it was fairly nice looking park, and that they had paid some attention to theming their rides, particularly Nemesis Inferno. But this was the home of the driest rapids ride I've ever experienced, and I was rather amazed at all the guests who stood up to avoid the ride's waterfalls. This is a pretty dangerous, foolish thing to do on a rapids ride; then again, as I recall, the rafts never got anywhere near the falls, so standing up to avoid getting soaked was hardly necessary. (To be fair, I saw standing up on rapids rides in a lot of European parks in 2008, too.)

But Thorpe Park had a number of good points, too. As I said earlier, some of the theming was pretty well done. Tidal Wave, the park's big Spalsh-boat ride, was tricked up with a nicely done flooded-town set, and Nemesis Inferno had a cool run to the lift hill through a "volcano." Although I agree that Inferno isn't on the same level as Alton's Nemesis, it's still a very good B&M inverted coaster. Detonator is a good Shot Tower, and Rush, the park's huge Screamin' Swing, is plenty of fun. Thorpe is also where I experienced my first-ever Intamin launched "Top Hat" coaster, the oddly named Stealth (which was themed to racing, as I recall). And let's not forget X:/No Way Out--an enclosed Vekoma coaster that was so weirdly bad that I found it rather endearing.

However, I am not a fan of Thorpe's Colossus, an Intamin 10-inversion coaster. This was a rather painful experience, at best (a lot of the group liked it, though).

I guess Thorpe is sort of the Six Flags of the UK--not a "destination," but a good "regional" park.
073.jpg
Let the "yobbishness" begin!
074.jpg
Thorpe wants your gently used gum. It's for the children.
075.jpg
How you doing there, Pete?
076.jpg
You sure everything's OK?
077.jpg
I am Colossus! Fear my wrath!
078.jpg
Well, Colossus took out its wrath on my ears, jaw, and other parts of my head.
079.jpg
But what can you expect from a ride next to "Hell Gate." (It would seem that Hell has ice cream.)
080.jpg
I actually saw a poor guy lose a cell phone here. He did express his displeasure in rather yobbish terms.
081.jpg
This was one of the smoother parts. I think . . . I was in pretty rough shape by then.
082.jpg
Beware the coaster-enthusiast-eating plants of Thorpe Park! They eat riders and crap out gravy!
083.jpg
Ah, I thought X was kinda endearing--like a friendly, ugly dog that nobody wants.
084.jpg
I had no idea doors could be frightened.
085.jpg
OK, what's the big deal about Tidal Wave?
086.jpg
I mean, you go up, you come down . . .
087.jpg
. . . holy crap!
088.jpg
Seriously--does this look very "stealthy" to you?
089.jpg
Watch out! Stealth is sneaking up on you!
090.jpg
I consider this to be a pretty solid B&M invert.
091.jpg
It does look pretty durn cool as it hurtles over the crowd.
092.jpg
As you can see, I rather like the theming of this ride, even though it isn't as quite as cool as Nemesis at Alton.
095.jpg
It's not as good as the Batman clones, but it is better than Alpengeist.
096.jpg
No, I wasn't about to light up, Andrew, but thanks for the reminder not to.
097.jpg
"Looky! I can drive a real car!"
098.jpg
Photobombing before it was a "thing."
099.jpg
Well, time to head out. Goodbye, Nemesis Inferno.
100.jpg
Good riddance, Colossus.
101.jpg
Oh, I just love that doll British humor. That's all for now. Coming up next, a few days in Norway and Sweden.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Ah yes, I remember Thorpe well.....

FInding the Canada Creek sign - X/No Way out :?r - Colossus (my first actual headache form any coaster), 4D fun movie "Pirates', and....

The Stealth coaster was my first what-that-kind-is of coasters, lol.
Didn't get a roll back, but then, that paled to our one-of-a-kind adventure called....

The TPR Bird Murderers

One of those only-in-a-TPR Tour kind of moments. To those who don't know, one of
Stealth's trains (one I was on in fact) obliterated a bird who decided to rest on the
coaster's tracks. Bad move. Dead bird. And I thought it was pieces of paper flying all over
and around us. Didn't realize it was the feathers, lol.
UK052_ThorpeParkCanadaCreekEntSign.jpg
I loved it, being able to take a pic with my country's name in a sign. Thanks Thorpe!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:48 pm

^Thanks for bringing up the bird incident, Bill, as I'd forgot to mention it. I remember standing in the station, when feathers drifted down upon us from on high. The poor bird's corpse was in two pieces, as I recall--one on the walk way, the other strung over a chain-link fence.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:05 pm

The bird incident was interesting for about one minute, the next 2 hours that people kept talking about it was annoying.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:53 am

^The poor birdie is dead. Time to move on with our lives. :lol:

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby FreeFaller » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:02 pm

Nice to see such a nostalgic trip report! I'm happy that TPR was founded and hasn't lost any magic! I think 2006 marked a new era: the era of MANY awesome TPR trips!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Hmmm.

And then there was that RED BUTTON thing...

:smile:

Oops. Sorry. Wrong retro tour. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby The49er » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:15 pm

It's not as good as the Batman clones but better than Alpengeist.

Wait...so you're telling me there are inverts better than Alpengeist?

Last Park: CP / Last Credit: Blue Streak lol / Credit Count: 70
Top 5 Wood: SCBB Giant Dipper, Gold Striker, GhostRider pre-refurb, Blue Streak, CGA Grizzly
Top 5 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, X2, Millennium Force, Tatsu

Next Park: ?
Next Credit: ?

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive