Chuck's Shameless Nostalgia TR: TPR's 2006 UK Trip

UPDATE, May 7: Liseberg
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Chuck's Shameless Nostalgia TR: TPR's 2006 UK Trip

Postby cfc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:48 pm

larrygator wrote:I loved the Mr Hyde part of The Ultimate, I know I was in the minority. I did ride it about 6 times and of course didn't have time to experience the Toad Hole. At one point by group was walking off the beaten path and we found a operating tower ride (can't remember if it was launch or drop) in what appeared to be plopped down in the middle of the woods. I remember after the UK trip asking if anyone had a picture of it and no one else remembered even seeing it.

I have no memory of that tower ride, either. I did ride the Ultimate twice and fared better the second time, probably because I knew what I was getting myself into. ;)
Last edited by cfc on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:49 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 am

Let's move on to the home of what might be the only "good" SLC: Flamingo Land Theme Park and Zoo. Yes, this is the home of Kumali, which the park staff assured us was as "smooth as a baby's bottom." Much to everyone's surprise, they were right. Kumali was, indeed, an enjoyable Vekoma SLC that doesn't try to kill you. How Flamingo Land accomplished this miracle remains shrouded in mystery; perhaps they're protected by some form of Druid magic, or being as it has African theming, the power of Shiriki Utundu (which will probably mean a horrible price to pay later). According to RCDB, Kumali is a twin to another SLC at Happy Valley Shenzen, which also wasn't a "horrible" ride (but not as smooth as Kumali).

The park is also home to another good Vekoma ride, a Motorbike Coaster dubbed Velocity. This launched coaster was, indeed, quite smooth, and our ERT session on it (and Kumali) was great.

Yes, Vekoma had redeemed itself with those rides--if only it hadn't been for that Corkscrew, which was another rattly, rough, painful experience in credit whoring. These rides have always looked odd to me. The old Arrow Corkscrews always looked somewhat graceful, at least. A Vekoma Corkscrew looks like it's been squashed, as though Godzilla or King Kong had sat on it.

Let's have a look at the park as it appeared in 2006. Do not expect to see Mumbo Jumbo, the park's S&S El Loco, in these photos, as it didn't even exist until 2009. And Corkscrew ceased to be in 2011.
016.jpg
A theme park and a zoo? Is there an identity crisis here?
017.jpg
No freakin' sign is gonna tell me what to freakin' do! I got yer "yobbishness" right here, pal!
018.jpg
Sigh. Why did Vekoma think this was a good idea?
019.jpg
Yet here we all are taking pictures of it--go figure.
020.jpg
"Vunce you sniff my monster musk, you vill be my slave! Bleah!"
021.jpg
Kumali is sponsored by the makers of Johnson's Baby Oil.
022.jpg
OK, I made that last sponsor up. But Flamingo Land is missing a bet here.
023.jpg
"Shiriki Utundu! Please don't hurt us!"
024.jpg
"Wah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!"
025.jpg
"So far so good! But these are always the smoothest parts of any SLC!"
026.jpg
"And we don't even have a headache! What's going on?"
027.jpg
"What just happened? We're still alive, and without serious injury!"
028.jpg
Well, if you want to hurt yourself, here's your chance. Shiriki cannot protect you now!
029.jpg
Yes, not even the great city of Metropolis was spared the ravages of the worldwide depression. Looks like they had to move their gift shop to a lower-rent neighborhood.
030.jpg
I think this Wild Mouse is gone now.
031.jpg
"Hello, ladies!"
032.jpg
Velocity marked another "first" for me (and I think almost everyone else on this trip).
032a.jpg
Yes, we give Vekoma a hard time . .
033.jpg
. . . but they have built some good rides.
034.jpg
"Well, things have reached a pretty pass, indeed, when I have to allow a blue alien to ride on my dashboard." That's all for now.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Great stuff, as always. On Blackpool: I don't think I've ever noticed much praise for Steeplechase. I always thought the minimal restraints made it look sketchy, but it's nice to hear that it's such a good ride overall.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:59 pm

^I think that Steeplechase is the best coaster at Blackpool, but it can be a bit unnerving (which is part of the fun). The old Motorcycle Chase (later Wacky Soap Box Racers) at Knott's was like that, too.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:32 am

No pictures of the women lifting their tops on Velocity for the on ride photo?

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:40 pm

^Nope--must've missed that.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:49 pm

I think Flamingo Land, was possibly where TPR experienced it's first "group ropes course"....
UK042_FlamingoLandWalkThisway.jpg
Yeah, those were the easy days of ropes courses. (o;
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:00 pm

^Ha! I'd forgotten all about that playground in the fort.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:16 pm

^ I couldn't even tackle that one. I was so inept, from one foot above the ground I found out, lol.
Which now explains why I don't do any ropes course above...one foot level. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:32 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^ I couldn't even tackle that one. I was so inept, from one foot above the ground I found out, lol.
Which now explains why I don't do any ropes course above...one foot level. :wink:

What? No making fun of you in Scandi? :lmao:

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive