TR: Chimelong Ocean Kingdom With FOTR POV!

Walrus Splash and FOTR POV =>
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

TR: Chimelong Ocean Kingdom With FOTR POV!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:02 am

A lot of my classmates have been to the park and they said it was just "good". So I wasn't expecting too much. Actually I was expecting something like an ocean themed Chimelong Paradise that is the similar to Happy Valley parks but with much better park management. Turns out it is at the same level of Disney and Universal Studios in my heart for their excellent theming.

I visited with Candice and Coaster King from Roller Coaster Dream. While we had a lot of fun, this day was the nerdiest park day I've ever had. But first of all, let me say something about Flying Over the Rainforest.

Please let me say a sorry for posting about this one being forceless on the forum before I ride it. The first half was pretty forceful, much more intense than X-Flight and GateKeeper. First drop has some amazing air at the back(slight ejector), the twists after the Dive Loop and the twist before MCBR is relatively violent. however the second half was kind of lame just like GateKeeper. The train goes very slow during the inline twist. On the other hand, while you can't expect roughness from most B&M coasters but do prepare for this one. I was ready for roughness but this is even as bad as GateKeeper. Outside seats gave me a terrible headache. The dive after the Inline Twist and the final helix was terribly rough. If sitting in the back, you can see the train shakes at a big range. I can say it's a love or hate coaster, even GP are turning into two groups. One says it's the best coaster ever(can't judge the GP about "best coaster ever", right? ) while the others complaint about the vest harness and roughness. To me, it's an average coaster but I rank it slightly higher than X-Flight and much higher than GateKeeper, possibly my top 30 steel coaster. But for wing rider fans, do not miss this one because it's very different from the other wing riders out there.

Being a coaster nerd, I love love love love backstage tours. Walrus Splash and Glacier Adventure weren't open because Chinese amusement ride department took a holiday for Lunar New Year. But while Mack's engineers were testing the ride, we entered the station area with the park's permission and had the opportunities to see the ride testing. We took tons of nerd shots and had a great time. Mack and Zierer's staffs are very nice, one of them told me he thinks B&M is the best coaster manufacturer (Isn't Bluefire ranked higher than 95% of B&M's?) We weren't allowed to see some of the testing process but it's already great enough to make a day.

Deep Ocean Odyssey is a very nice themed aquarium attraction built by Mack. It might be the only way to see Manta in China if you don't want to wait about 2 hours for the walking aquarium at the top of the ride. Animals in the aquarium are the same so we skipped the walking aquarium attraction.

The park is not very big in size, pretty much the same size as Sea World San Antonio. Crowd was insane because this is a new park. Parking lot space ran out in the morning and traffic jam came all the way to the bridge connecting Hengqin Island and Zhuhai. But interestingly, Flying Over the Rainforest's line had never exceeded over an hour. I assume 60,000 visitors were at the park and most of them were there for the aquariums with their young kids and aged parents.

Again, the park has excellent theming, Chimelong did an amazing job and most importantly, everything is original! Ocean Kingdom's theming focused on details and quality but other Chinese parks seemed to be copying the whole Disneyland with low quality theming that will quickly fade away as time goes by. Honestly I think Chimelong could be the Chinese Herschend because their staffs are very well trained , their theming and atmosphere are excellent just like Silver Dollar City But still a lot different because a new park doesn't have its spirit like Silver Dollar City, which has a historical value as well. Personally, I would put it among my top 8 parks with SDC, SFGAm, SFFT, CP, Disneyland, DCA and USH.

About their hotel, it seriously is the most luxurious hotel I've ever seen. Words cannot describe so I took some photos of it. Similar to Guangzhou's Chimelong hotel which is themed to land animals, this one is themed to marine animals. Most standard room costs around $450 but if you like fancy hotel that really stands out, don't miss this.

Finally, some tips about visiting the park. Food are not allowed to take in but a bottle of water below 400ml is allowed. Food and drinks in the park has a reasonable price, about the same as a regular Six a Flags park. But merchandise, especially T-Shirts and Hoodies are very expensive. A regular T-Shirt costs around $25 and a regular hoodie costs around $58. As a merchandise whore, I surprisingly didn't buy anything at all! Possibly because they don't have anything towards a specific ride. Another thing that saves my money is they use Pepsi products so I only drank water that day. Ocean Kingdom doesn't have a lot of food choices just like Chimelong Paradise. English version of park map are not available yet and Flying Over the Rainforest photo booth wasn't ready to open as well. Most bathrooms gets extremely crowded with a long line but the one at Amazing Amazon where Flying Over the Rainforest located is always empty. Ocean Kingdom's one day admission ticket costs around $46 before Feb. 28th and price will raise to around $63 for long period. The park also offer Ocean Express- their fast lane/tour guide system. Prices are around $33 for one single ride, around $49 for all rides and around $145 for all rides with a tour guide (I don't think it's needed, it's a theme park, not a wild safari!) Ocean Express literally means no wait at all because you enter from either the exit or a special lane and I don't think GP in China are used to fast lane system as fast lane systems are only available at Chimelong parks. If you don't mind spending the same amount of money of SDC's front of the line pass on a particular ride at Ocean Kingdom, you can marathon on it till you have a headache. Their fancy hotel's guests can get the all rides Ocean Express for free. Line jumping didn't happen during our visit but people like to push forward. I believe TPR China tour members have experienced it. This situation is a lot better in southern China but still could be annoying during holidays. Best way to solve the problem is to put one foot back a bit to prevent the people behind you from getting uncomfortably close.

Please forgive me for the low photo quality because they were all taken by my iPhone. Some of the photos at the backstage area were not allowed to be posted so almost 70% of my backstage photos are staying in my phone. Sorry for that because one of Mack's engineers told me not to post them very seriously.
IMG_4859[1].JPG
We are here, with roughly 60,000 visitors
IMG_4860[1].JPG
Their gorgeous hotel, photos coming on part 2
IMG_4861[1].JPG
Construction site for probably their world's tallest woodie. Pleeeese be an RMC!
IMG_4862[1].JPG
Wow! Clean water at a Chinese park! That's how you know it's a Chimelong park!
IMG_4863[1].JPG
Walrus Splash looks amazing!
IMG_4864[1].JPG
See the crowd?
IMG_4865[1].JPG
Welcome to China, a country with 1.4 billion people.
IMG_4866[1].JPG
I can't breathe!!!!!
IMG_4867[1].JPG
Oh, hi!
IMG_4871[1].JPG
Imagine a black track RMC Topper track woodie themed to Blackfish! Again, I support Sea World.
IMG_4875[1].JPG
Tickets! Yep, I printed out the Mitch Hawker poll's result, I'm a nerd.
IMG_4876[1].JPG
I just love how they put so much effort on details like this.
IMG_4877[1].JPG
IMG_4878[1].JPG
Crowd, crowd, crowd.
IMG_4879[1].JPG
IMG_4880[1].JPG
IMG_4881[1].JPG
I spot a credit!
IMG_4882[1].JPG
IMG_4883[1].JPG
Love how their trees are placed.
IMG_4884[1].JPG
Closer, closer and closer.
IMG_4885[1].JPG
A bird with a blue whale
IMG_4886[1].JPG
Kind of remind me of GateKeeper. Hopefully it won't be as bad as GateKeeper.
IMG_4887[1].JPG
Green B&M track looks nice.
IMG_4888[1].JPG
Twisty
IMG_4889[1].JPG
Twisty!
IMG_4890[1].JPG
Have to say I love the color scheme.
IMG_4891[1].JPG
IMG_4892[1].JPG
Look! A train!
IMG_4893[1].JPG
IMG_4894[1].JPG
Crowd crowd crowd!
IMG_4895[1].JPG
Another train!
IMG_4896[1].JPG
IMG_4897[1].JPG
Inline Twist is the worst part of the ride.
IMG_4898[1].JPG
Entrance looks amazing already...
IMG_4899[1].JPG
IMG_4900[1].JPG
The queue line is even better!
IMG_4901[1].JPG
Wow!
IMG_4902[1].JPG
Queue's color really matches the color scheme of the ride.
IMG_4903[1].JPG
IMG_4904[1].JPG
Station!
IMG_4905[1].JPG
IMG_4906[1].JPG
How could the nerdiest coaster day be the nerdiest coaster day without a nerd shot?
IMG_4907[1].JPG
Take a closer look
IMG_4908[1].JPG
Here is the logo on the station roof.
IMG_4909[1].JPG
But all nice looking queue started to change into Guangzhou Chimelong's style in here.
IMG_4910[1].JPG
Now looks better.
IMG_4911[1].JPG
Sun was really "bright" that day.
IMG_4913[1].JPG
Painting on the station wall.
IMG_4915[1].JPG
More painting. They even painted the support!
IMG_4916[1].JPG
Birds!
IMG_4917[1].JPG
IMG_4918[1].JPG
Now that B&M supports finally looks nice.
IMG_4919[1].JPG
IMG_4921[1].JPG
I see you, little Parrot! Also the fourth B&M wing rider themed to birds.
IMG_4922[1].JPG
IMG_4923[1].JPG
Details make Ocean Kingdom a truly amazing theme park.
IMG_4924[1].JPG
Fly!
IMG_4926[1].JPG
I can even hear the complain about the vest harness from here.
IMG_4928[1].JPG
IMG_4929[1].JPG
This huge tree is actually the exit of a fresh water aquarium.
IMG_4930[1].JPG
Come here! Take the penny on my hand and fly back.
IMG_4931[1].JPG
I've heard they will install water effect like those on Shambhala and Manta here so the straight track is at least not a waste of steel or completely holding the point of breaking GateKeeper's length record.
IMG_4932[1].JPG
Zero G Roll, much more like a Zero Airtime Roll.
IMG_4933[1].JPG
At least it looks nice.
IMG_4935[1].JPG
Then we headed to my favorite section of the park.
IMG_4936[1].JPG
This place is so heavy themed.
IMG_4937[1].JPG
More details.
IMG_4940[1].JPG
Sorry but I can't provide more backstage photos. I don't want to make trouble. We stayed at the station for around two hours and it was one of the most meaningful two hours in my life.
IMG_4958[1].JPG
The park is very photogenic
IMG_4960[1].JPG
This pool will have some Walrus and the glass section is a part of Walrus Splash. Imagine riding a Mack Super Splash with Walrus swimming around during the pre-lift section!
IMG_4961[1].JPG
That Zierer Kontiki is a nice surprise, a lot more intense then I expected. More park should install this thing.
IMG_4962[1].JPG
In case you forget how awesome Walrus Splash looks.
IMG_4967[1].JPG
Airtime!
IMG_4970[1].JPG
Again, welcome to China.
IMG_4972[1].JPG
This is their children area.
IMG_4973[1].JPG
IMG_4975[1].JPG
Look! Matterhorn! Nope, it's a giant Mack water coaster.
IMG_4976[1].JPG
Queue!
IMG_4978[1].JPG
Kind of remind me of Efteling even though I haven't been there yet.
IMG_4983[1].JPG
Again, this is the only backstage photo of Glacier Adventure I'm allowed to post.
IMG_5004[1].JPG
Beautiful!
IMG_5010[1].JPG
Chimelong means clean water.
IMG_5011[1].JPG
IMG_5013[1].JPG
Giant blue whale and a pirate boat.
IMG_5017[1].JPG
IMG_5018[1].JPG
Hi, we are coming back for you!
IMG_5020[1].JPG
But only after we grab this awesome Mack aquarium where you can see Manta!
IMG_5121[1].JPG
A preview of part two.
Last edited by gerstlaueringvar on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:23 am.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Re: Photo TR: Take a Look at Chimelong's Ocean Kingdom!!

Postby FreeFaller » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:06 am

Nice trip report! Thanks for sharing! China is definitely on my list to visit! Seems to be a very interesting country!

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:24 am

Great TR. I love the theming to this park, especially FOTR's queue.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby SuperShawn » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:31 am

Thanks for the thorough update. Been curious about this park and all the sea theming. Looks like it doesn't disappoint based on the photos, review and the crowds.

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:43 am

SuperShawn wrote:Thanks for the thorough update. Been curious about this park and all the sea theming. Looks like it doesn't disappoint based on the photos, review and the crowds.

It's definitely Disney level.

Photo explanation updated!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:08 am

Great TR. The park looks nicely themed. About how long did you have to wait for the rides? Also, very cool they allowed to do a tour of the closed rides.

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:10 am

That looks amazing! I don't think the pictures we have seen earlier have made this place justice. It looks a lot more Impressive with the photos from inside the park.
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:14 am

Note to self - Never go to China during Chinese New Year!

Those crowds are insane!

Weird questions, does this park/aquarium happen to have an Ocean Sunfish?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:15 am

Chimlong's new park looks good, and I enjoyed myself at Chimelong Paradise during TPR's trip in 2012. Thanks for the photos.

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:21 am

Mrlittle wrote:Great TR. The park looks nicely themed. About how long did you have to wait for the rides? Also, very cool they allowed to do a tour of the closed rides.

Wait time was okay surprisingly. We skipped those aquariums because we spend around four hours on backstage tour and there's not too much time left. One of the park staffs took us to the special lane so wait time wasn't a big problem.

SharkTums wrote:Note to self - Never go to China during Chinese New Year!

Those crowds are insane!

Weird questions, does this park/aquarium happen to have an Ocean Sunfish?

I went to Mysterious Island the morning and find the place dead. Sad to see an awesome Intamin being forgotten. Everybody was at Ocean Kingdom. What is Ocean Sunfish?

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive