Photo TR: Andy's Texas/Midwest TPR Tour

Page 27: The End of the Trip
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Day 11 -- Cedar Point (Day Two | Second Half)

Postby Emiroo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:28 am

The Great Zo wrote:
Lesson of the Day: Don't mind the small expenses....For me, it boils down to this, as I thought to myself while enjoying a double-dip cone at Toft's on Saturday night: you may not remember the $6 you spent on ice cream, but you may remember the ice cream.

This.

Whenever I'm visiting somewhere, I always ask myself, "When am I ever going to be here again?" If I don't have an immediate answer, I always spend the money. You'll never regret spending the money as much as you might regret not spending the money...especially when it comes to the souvenirs.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Photo TR: Andy's Texas/Midwest TPR Tour

Postby coasterchitchat » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:05 pm

GateKeeper: If I'm going to put three Cedar Point coasters in my overall top ten, I guess I should to be honest when I have to go in the other direction. I love how GateKeeper has revitalized the front of the park, and it's a photogenic beauty. Unfortunately, it just wasn't all that fun to ride. I only found the first drop and Immelmann forceful, and the rest of the course just seemed to progress too slowly for the size of the elements. I also don't think that the freedom of the winged seats is worth their inevitable roughness. At the time of our visit, the vest restraints were still locking, which affected me significantly and led to uncomfortable rides. After comfortable rides on Banshee, which opened with the vest issue corrected, I have some optimism that a future ride on GateKeeper might be more pleasant. I know my opinion on GateKeeper is shared among a decent portion of the enthusiast community, but I'm a little worried that it wasn't a huge hit for Cedar Point in general. During our three days at the park, I can't ever recall seeing GateKeeper with a line of over an hour, even as the three big Intamins (and even Raptor at times) were well into the 60-120 minute range. I just can't see GateKeeper as one of the major "destination" coasters at Cedar Point, and I'd bet that most of the public agrees.

I like the GateKeeper a lot, but it's not the BEST Coaster at Cedar Point. When my friends and I went, we really liked and thought the 2 hour wait was worth it (there's only 3 of these in the US), but it's not that great. I think they've should've but some more elements on the way back like a Zero-G Roll. But good coaster but I don't hate it.
Vekoma is English means, "We don't have the budget for a B&M so let's just order a Vekoma."

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby coasternate » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Wow! Sounds like a great trip. I also agree that Millennium Force is the best coaster in the park; I know TTD is taller, but Millennium just feels HUGE, and is smooth and speedy all the way around. And the fact that you got on 13 rides is CRAZY! Also, congrats on riding all 17 coasters in one day..... impressive.
I love Disney parks and RMCs. Bay Area

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby BigDipper 80 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:43 am

Amazing photos! I love the long-exposure shots of the ferris wheel. I attempted to get some a couple of years ago, but with the long load/unload and short cycle times, there are very few opportunities to time the shots just right. They sure look impressive!

I would love to get a copy of the nighttime Mantis shot to use as a desktop background. Would it be possible to get a larger copy of the image file from you?

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby SamanthaMc92 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:33 am

I've really enjoyed reading your report. I makes me REALLY want to go on a TPR trip......
Now I just have to pluck up the courage to actually join one! :(
I want to ride every single ride in the WORLD by the time i'm 30 - Do you think i'm being overambitious? ;)

Postby DaveH80 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:57 am

Excellent pictures, really enjoyed them all. Thanks for posting!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:28 am

SamanthaMc92 wrote:I've really enjoyed reading your report. I makes me REALLY want to go on a TPR trip......

Seriously - do it. You won't regret it. I'm going on my 6th TPR trip this summer. They have truly been the most fun and best vacations I've ever taken.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:35 pm

BigDipper 80 wrote:Amazing photos! I love the long-exposure shots of the ferris wheel. I attempted to get some a couple of years ago, but with the long load/unload and short cycle times, there are very few opportunities to time the shots just right. They sure look impressive!

Thanks -- and you're right, it was tough to time out with the wheel. I got the "moving" shots in about a 5-minute span, after which the wheel stayed pretty well parked doing loads and unloads (that's when I did the short-exposure pictures that don't look as nice).

BigDipper 80 wrote:I would love to get a copy of the nighttime Mantis shot to use as a desktop background. Would it be possible to get a larger copy of the image file from you?

I'll send you a PM!

coasterchitchat wrote:I like the GateKeeper a lot, but it's not the BEST Coaster at Cedar Point. When my friends and I went, we really liked and thought the 2 hour wait was worth it (there's only 3 of these in the US), but it's not that great. I think they've should've but some more elements on the way back like a Zero-G Roll. But good coaster but I don't hate it.

I'm happy to hear some people do like it!

SamanthaMc92 wrote:I've really enjoyed reading your report. I makes me REALLY want to go on a TPR trip......

As David said, they're as fun as they look. If this trip report has doubled as an advertisement for TPR's tours, that's fine by me. Once you meet everyone, everybody fits right in very easily, and has a great time together.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Postby SamanthaMc92 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:04 am

The Great Zo wrote:As David said, they're as fun as they look. If this trip report has doubled as an advertisement for TPR's tours, that's fine by me. Once you meet everyone, everybody fits right in very easily, and has a great time together.

jynx242 wrote:Seriously - do it. You won't regret it. I'm going on my 6th TPR trip this summer. They have truly been the most fun and best vacations I've ever taken.

I'm seriously considering it! I'm from Scotland in the UK so its kind of daunting but I'm going to see what trips are happening next year and try and get over my fear and just do it! You guys look like you have an amazing time and its a dream of mine to ride some of the coasters you guys all have. Andy, trips like the one in this report look too good to miss out on! :-D
I want to ride every single ride in the WORLD by the time i'm 30 - Do you think i'm being overambitious? ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive