Photo TR: Bill & David's TPR Japan Tour (2013)

Our whole trip - From "A-rigato" to Z-ouvenirs! (o:
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Bill & David's TPR Japan Tour (2013)

Postby cfc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:40 am

Nrthwnd wrote:^
Sorry, nothing more from me, unfortunately. The only place (I found) where you could get any view of the cars moving, is where I was took that one photo. I believe Robb got a POV of the entire ride cycle, but you'll have to wait until he has time to post it. They just finished up the Texas-Midwest tour, so everything is still pretty busy (finishing things up) right now for them.

Patience. :smile:

I couldn't get a decent photo of Veil of Dark, either. It was just too dark in Joypolis for my camera, and beyond my meagre photographic skills, to get a photo of a moving car.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby kailisun98 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 am

SharkTums wrote:^FYI - The Shaka Shaka Chicken is totally different from years past. They changed the size and shape of the chicken and the flavors offered. Robb was very disappointed and depressed over it. :(

What is the best snack in Japan now in your opinion?
Top 5 Steel: 1. Outlaw Run @ SDC 2. Flight Deck@CGA 3. X2@ SFMM 4. Medusa@ SFDK 5.YOLOcoaster @ SFMM
Top 3 Wooden: 1. El Toro@ SFGA 2.Gold Striker @ CGA 3. Apocolypse@ SFMM 4. "High Five"@ OCT Wuhan
Total Coaster Count: Wooden: 15 Steel: 143 Total: 158

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:44 pm

kailisun98 wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^FYI - The Shaka Shaka Chicken is totally different from years past. They changed the size and shape of the chicken and the flavors offered. Robb was very disappointed and depressed over it. :(

What is the best snack in Japan now in your opinion?

^ Meat on Sticks (in my opinion), lol! They were in restaurants all over the cities we stayed in.
Best 'snack' I can think of right now. :wink:

And Elissa? Hmmmph. <sighs> Oh well, we tried. Too bad I didn't try it back in one of the previous TPR Japan tours. But I am glad we weren't the only ones disappointed by what we got. Maybe they'll change back by next visit, hmmm?
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:39 pm

I never even saw the Shaka Shaka chicken at any of the McD'd I went to. I was excited to try it after trying the Shaka Shaka fries last year in Hong Kong. The McD's chicken sandwich I did try was only so so. I felt bad for the Japanese woman that ran it to me since it wasn't ready when I ordered it.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:09 pm

^ The Shaka Shaka Chicken was moved from a previous feature spot on their menu board to the Value Menu. We found that out from one of the others on the tour, or we would have never found it ourself. And when you looked and found it, it was hardly noticeable up there. :sad:

Edit to add: We did just ask the server for "shaka shaka chicken"? And she knew immediately what we wanted. So I guess you could have just asked for it, Jon. Unless you did just that, and they didn't have it available at that McDs.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:12 pm

July 3 - Fuji-Q Highland Park

And so, we finally had our day to head to Fuji-Q Highland Park, and for those of us who'd been there before, hoping it would be as good a day there, as it was, like our last visit, in 2011. Fortunately, it turned out pretty good for the day. All the coasters were open, including the new Takabisha which turned out to be less exciting that I thought it would be IMhO. Only a couple of years old, and it was already getting pretty rough in spots. But - the credit was got and that was that.

And Robb and Elissa again helped everybody with 'fastpasses' for the various coasters. With the same silly set up for distribution of the passes (hourly, so many given out, etc.), so once again THANK YOU Robb and Elissa, for putting up with this "system", so that we could all have a great time at Fuji!

I didn't go on most of the coasters this trip, as i really wanted it to be David's tour, and I know he wasn't going to even attempt riding ones like Eejanaika or Fujiyama, or even Takabisha. But we got our flying hamster credit (Great Fluffy Sky Adventure), rode the Thomas The Train dark ride, took it easy, and really enjoyed the day there...
Resize of IMG_3009.JPG
Where we started this day, from. Our hotel (for me and David, six nights there!) for the remainder of the tour.
Resize of IMG_2605.JPG
This was our view outside our room at the Hilton. Gotta love parking lots, right?
Resize of IMG_2603.JPG
But to the left of that shot, a bit of Tokyo Disneyland! With the Disneyland Hotel on the left, and Space Mountain on the right.
Resize of IMG_2604.JPG
And to the right, a bit of Tokyo Disney Sea. The back of the park, actually, seeing the show building of Indiana Jones, and Raging Spirits. And <sighs> The Volcano.
Resize of IMG_2606.JPG
We had to get up so early for this day, we had to miss breakfast in the hotel. But the hotel provided us with a nice "something to eat" on our way to the park on the bus.
Resize of IMG_2607.JPG
And here's the staff, handing out our "bag lunches" heh heh.
Resize of IMG_0671.JPG
Our "map" to Fuji-Q. I am sure it's there somewhere <g>. Actually, David took this at the park. (DbM)
Resize of IMG_2609.JPG
One our way to Fuji! I think Joli and Jon there are wondering what they've been given to eat, lol. And ..."my eyes". And I see you there Martin (at right) watching what I'm doing.
Resize of IMG_2613.JPG
Closer to the park now.
Resize of IMG_2611.JPG
We kept looking and looking for clear shots of the mountain. But it stayed pretty cloudy at the top of it. Well, we had most fo the day, to try, try again. (DbM)
Resize of IMG_2614.JPG
I see coaster!
Resize of IMG_2615.JPG
Closer still. Almost there.
Resize of IMG_2616.JPG
Random shot of....
Resize of IMG_2617.JPG
A bus seat back! Looked artsy to me...
Resize of IMG_2618.JPG
We've arrived! And we were apparently first there at the park, too.
Resize of IMG_2619.JPG
Still, a bit of a feeling of "omg we're here again" came upon me. But it went pretty well, for the day there.
Resize of IMG_2620.JPG
The park entrance. And we were first!
Resize of IMG_2621.JPG
An ice cream machine outside the park entrance.
Resize of IMG_2622.JPG
One particularly interesting flavour...
Resize of IMG_2623.JPG
David beside a display board showing the attractions in Thomas Land, inside the park.
Resize of IMG_2622a.JPG
Takabisha is testing for the morning, That's a good sign.
Resize of IMG_2624.JPG
And - we're heading into the park! With fastpass instructions from Robb....

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby kailisun98 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:27 pm

So how long were the waits this time compared with past visits.
Top 5 Steel: 1. Outlaw Run @ SDC 2. Flight Deck@CGA 3. X2@ SFMM 4. Medusa@ SFDK 5.YOLOcoaster @ SFMM
Top 3 Wooden: 1. El Toro@ SFGA 2.Gold Striker @ CGA 3. Apocolypse@ SFMM 4. "High Five"@ OCT Wuhan
Total Coaster Count: Wooden: 15 Steel: 143 Total: 158

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:57 pm

^ I can't honestly answer that, as the only big coaster I went on, was Takabisha.That was basically a walk on, right when we entered the park. And then Robb and Elissa were getting us "Front of Line" passes through the day, so most of us were bypassing the lines, if there were any (ha ha, of course there were!). The only non-coaster ride I really wanted to try for my first time, was their "raft ride". And that was well over an hour for it, when I did check the queue wait time.

In comparison to the 2011 visit, it felt pretty much the same for lines and locals at the park, although this visit all the coasters were open. (Eejanaika was down for maintenance in 2011). And the 2007 was the Ugly Visit (with 2-3 hours' wait on most big coasters), so we don't talk much about that any more. :wink:

Maybe one or two of the group might chime in here, with what they found as far as coaster wait times went?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:00 pm

60-90min waits for all the majors.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:47 pm

~ Takabisha ~

Well, we rode it and after two years of waiting to ride it, it was..... okay.
There was a lot of roughness in the general layout and for myself, the only
real "thrill" of it all was the over-extended drop, after the vertical lift. That
was crazy. But...that was it for me. And one ride was enough.

Although I haven't ridden Alton Towers' Smiler, this looked a wee bit like The Smiler,
(to me) only pulled and stretched to fit a bigger footprint. Although it didn't (obviously)
have the 14 inversions, it could have the same argument made (like Smiler) of being
two coasters put together, with a launch at the beginning, and a vertical lift
"launch" 2/3 of the way through it. Just my opinion...

Here's a few photos taken of Takabisha, by me and David.
Resize of IMG_2627.JPG
At the loading station, was this plaque. Wish we'd ridden it back in 2011...
Resize of IMG_0604.JPG
I remember this being on the construction walls back in 2011. Now, they moved it into the station, itself. (DbM)
Resize of IMG_2630.JPG
You get a pretty good view of Fujiyama, across the Dodonpa launch track, from the Takabisha outside (covered) queue.
IMG_2638.JPG
How it looks from the sky wheel.
Resize of IMG_0618.JPG
A shot by David, from the "mini-Mt.Fuji" in the middle of the park. (DbM)
Resize of IMG_2631.JPG
Yeah, that IS quite the drop on it. Quiet intense feeling, when you're just - not - sure about "when it happens", lol.
Resize of IMG_2632.JPG
Some of the layout.
Resize of IMG_0576.JPG
And here's Elissa and myself (front row, left) "enjoying" our first and probably ONLY ride (for me) on Takabisha. On-ride photo coming (at the end of the trip report) to show our...uh... reaction to it... (DbM)

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive