Photo TR: Bill & David's TPR Japan Tour (2013)

Our whole trip - From "A-rigato" to Z-ouvenirs! (o:
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Bill & David's TPR Japan Tour (2013)

Postby cfc » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:54 am

I was more interested in Takebisha, the Haunted Hospital, and the Thomas Town area (I missed the last two back in 2007). The Hospital certainly had atmosphere to burn, but it did need more scareactors.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:11 pm

^ My "Fuji To do-List" consisted of Haunted Hospital (did it), the Thomas Land Dark Ride (did it), the "coffin attraction" (nope - removed and replaced with kids' fun/playhouse), Takabisha (done), and the rapids ride (not done - still too big a queue for it, at the time).

And we did whatever David wanted to do in the park, which included The Hospital. Having gone through it now, it makes me wonder... If there were more scare actors in it, and the crowds going through it were bigger, might there be Total Japanese Chaos in there? :wink: The couple behind us, kept catching up bit by bit, and they sounded totally freeked out by it all, even without actors around. So we picked up our pace to lose them, lol.

Maybe the Japanese don't need a lot of scare actors around to make them feel.... scared. I mean, there are all those "sound attractions" we kept running into. They definitely love their "atmosphere", heh heh.

^^ And thanks, Neil! :smile:

(EDIT to add: I included a pic here of our own local Haunted Mansion at Playland {upcharge - $5}, which also includes only a couple of scare actors, and is a fairly long walk through. And it's just as intense for myself, as The Hospital was, even with no actors around us. It's a good one, IMhO even with the upcharge. Definitely worth a group visit. And before it turned into this, it was our original Laff In The Dark ride building!)
Playland20.jpg
I will only go through it, with at least one other person hanging on to my... belt, LOL!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:46 pm

Day 1 at TDLR ~ Tokyo Disneyland

So much has been reported on the Disney Resort here at TPR, it's kind of hard to up with new "stuff" to show. But, I will do my darndest... :smile:

This was also our first morning having breakfast at the Tokyo Hilton's great buffet spread (the previous morning we were way too early for breakfast there, heading to Fuji-Q; so we bag lunched it, lol). It didn't disappoint, with all it had available, including Japanese breakfast goodies. But we stuck to mostly western-style foods. Also, there was this wonderful display of marzipan food, animals and flowers at the entrance to the restaurant. Really beautiful creations.

After breakfast, we headed out to Tokyo Disneyland. We had a four day pass for the parks, but with TDLS, the first two days are specific one day for each park. So Elissa usually gets us into Disneyland first, then Disney Sea the next day's visit. The other two days, we can park hop. It all works out great.

Basicially, we started in Tomorrow Land, getting fastpasses for Monsters, Inc. "Go Hide & Seek", then up to "Pooh's Hunny Hunt"m and after that "Big Thunder Mountain". A good meal was had at the Queen of Hearts' Banquet Hall (wonderful themeing all around us, inside.) And we continued around to Adventure Land, took the "Western Railrod" attraction...

And then decided this was the time to take a short break back at the hotel, and we came back to the park a few hours later, around the dinner hour.

It was a great start to our days here at Disney Resort. :mickey:
Resize of IMG_2679.JPG
Breafast first, at the Tokyo Hilton.
Resize of IMG_2680.JPG
My second trip to the buffet, I decided to get more carnivore about what I picked. And the salmon there was delicious!
Resize of IMG_2681.JPG
The marzipan display at the entrance to the hotel's restaurant.
Resize of IMG_2682.JPG
Resize of IMG_2683.JPG
Just beautiful.
Resize of IMG_2684.JPG
A statue in front of the Wedding Chapel at the hotel.
Resize of IMG_2700.JPG
On the monorail, and almost there.
Resize of IMG_2685.JPG
It's the resort's 30th Anniversary!
Resize of IMG_2697.JPG
Looking back, into the World Bazaar. The only covered Main Street of any Disney Magic Kingdom!
Resize of IMG_2699.JPG
Besides the resort's birthday celebrations, there was a Japanese holiday being celebrated as well. And a LOT of notes were being written up and attached to and around this object/tower.
Resize of IMG_2690a.JPG
Pooh's Hunny Hunt - still an awesome and fun ride.
Resize of IMG_2690-Erwin.jpg
And one of the group, Erwin, managed to get a pretty good photo of the two of us in Huny Hunt's queue. Thanks Erwin!
Resize of IMG_0690.JPG
Photo at Big Thunder Railroad. (DbM)
TDLthundermtnOverview.jpg
Ending this posting with a look at the footprint that Big Thunder occupies. It's amazing how they fit it all in, there. Taken by "someone else" and kept in a folder on TDLR I had. Thanks Someone Else!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:05 am

I really, really miss Japan when I read these reports.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:22 pm

Tokyo Disneyland, cont.

Like I said previously, after we'd eaten in the park, and toured around some more, we decided that a mid-afternoon break was needed. And it took us less than 20 minutes (!) to get back to the hotel, put our feet up, have a cocktail (or three) and rest up, before heading back into the park.

And after we did... well for some reason or other, I didn't take any more photos that day! I think I just wanted to enjoy the evening at the park without constantly snapping photos, etc. So I gave the camera a rest, and that was that.

Here's the rest of the photos taken that day, before we monorail-ed back to the Hilton...
Resize of IMG_0691.JPG
Starting with where I left off last post, the mineral pools around Big Thunder Mountain, (DbM)
Resize of IMG_2694.JPG
All in it's 30th Anniversary balloon glory!
Resize of IMG_2686.JPG
In line at the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall, this couple was outfitted for plunder and treasure-ing. Arrrrrrrrr.
Resize of IMG_2687.JPG
Then there was this Fabulous Princess with some stroller "support" for the dress.
Resize of IMG_2689.JPG
Our meal at the Banquet Hall. A few of the meals we had in both parks, were big enough (for us) to share. And save some $.
Resize of  IMG_2689a.JPG
The all-important castle shot. Do we look alike? I don't think so. My hair (and beard) is much fuller than Davids, lol! (o; But that was okay. We got attention and some 'fan photos' taken, here and there. <g>
Resize of IMG_2695.JPG
What to do with uneaten popcorn...
Resize of IMG_2691.JPG
Speaking of Fan Photos. This group cornered me to to take their pic. Then the ringleader of the group (on the left, there) wanted her photo with me. by herself. And she was pushy! So, I agreed. Then I saw the pic...
Resize of IMG_2692.JPG
("_____________________") <sighs> Make up your own caption.
Resize of IMG_2701.JPG
And at the monorail station, to head to the hotel, I snapped a pic of David, in front of the Only Purple Trimmed Section of the Disneyland Hotel. Don't know why I like it. I just like it.
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:38 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Next week, I'll be posting about our second day at TDLR...

Tokyo Disney Sea :mickey:

And here's a photo taken from that day....er....evening we were there.
Resize of IMG_2746.JPG
Not the usual Mt.Prometheus shot, hmmm? This is taken of the 1940s American Waterfront "land" of Disney Sea.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Day 2 at TDLR ~ Tokyo DIsney Sea

My absolute favourite of the two Tokyo Disney parks, Disney Sea, is one of those one-of-a-kind Disney theme parks, that throws out the castle ( ! ) and starts from scratch to create a unique and totally different theme park experience. That fact they spent a billion bucks or more on this one is clear to see, from the second you enter into it. With Mt.Promethus in the middle of it all, lol.

Unfortunately, but only for a few hours, it looked like we were going to be "in theme" at this park - rain had started early in the morning, so we picked up a couple of those cheap plastic rain coats (ugh, the heat in those things) and took them along. But we never needed them, so that was a blessing. (And they fit rather 'tight' too.)

I took my time with getting to everything, as this was David's first time there, my third. So I didn't want to rush him through anything that might catch his eye, etc. We started at "Toy Story Mania" - closed for maintenance - did Hightower hotel (of Terror), and then took the great (and often overlooked) overhead trolley ride to Port Discovery, trekked into the mountain for a ride on Journey to The Centre of The Earth, and then headed to the back for some Indiana Jones & Crystal Skull fun.

While David was snapping photos, I did the single riders line for Raging Spirits coaster.... and it - was - a - mazing! So smooth as glass, I couldn't believe a coaster could actually feel like this! And the OTSR were like being hugged by a puffy sofa chair. So after we got back together, I convinced David to try another inversion (Disney Paris' Indy coaster did him in, several years back - no inversions since)...and he loved it! :airtime: So that was a success I wasn't expecting, for him.

A late lunch at the Yucatan Base Camp Grill for BBQ (was good, but not as good as other places we ate at in the park), then we worked our way back to the front of the park, and exited (with re-entry stamped on us) for our little 2 hour+ rest at the hotel...
Resize of IMG_2703.JPG
Ah....oh dear... oh my..... precipitation.
Resize of IMG_2706.JPG
Did not look good for us. So after breakfast, we bought the rain coats...and then didn't need them, lol!
Resize of IMG_2707.JPG
Breakfast was still as awesome as always, at the Tokyo Hilton.
Resize of IMG_2708.JPG
On the way out, to the monorail, I took a pic of this aarangement in the other restaurant used for breakfast.
Resize of IMG_2709.JPG
Uh.....ok.
Resize of IMG_2710.JPG
"Monorails Around the World" at our Bayside Station. And Vancouver's EXPO 86 monorail was in the photos too! (its's now running at Alton Towers). Very cool to look at.
Resize of IMG_2711.JPG
And I can see you in the distance there, I can. Almost there. Disney Sea is actually the first stop from Bayside Stn. Woo hoo!
Resize of  IMG_2713.JPG
We're in! And because there is something closed at Disney, I have to show my "dis-approval" of it, hee hee. (Same went for Mark Twain Riverboat and Space Mtn.)
Resize of IMG_2712.JPG
Some say, that this is one of The Most Beautiful Bathrooms ever created for a theme park! Did look lovely from the outside. Didn't need it though...
Resize of IMG_2714.JPG
I had a second thought, and decided to get us both in a "closed for now" photo, heh. And it does look great. From the outside of it. Next visit (I hope).
Resize of IMG_2728.JPG
Our tour awaited.
Resize of IMG_2722.JPG
And the tour did not disappoint.
Resize of IMG_2724.JPG
See?
Resize of IMG_2715.JPG
After our tour, we headed up stairs to the overhead trolley station, to get a ride to Port Discovery, and the back of the park.
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:44 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Tokyo's Big Thunder always looks so huge to me when I ride it that I had no idea they had crammed it into such a small space.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:36 pm

^ Yes, I came across the "over view" photo several years ago, and was really surprised
how the foot print worked, with the rest of the layout of the surrounding area.

And then I saw the track of the Western Railroad, winding around it into...
the building. (no spoilers)

I know it wasn't one of my own photos. But I thought it was still cool enough
to share in my trip report, especially with those who did the tour with me,
this past summer. :smile:

(EDit to add: To actually compare the two parks there, I find that Disneyland is
the "Blackpool of Tokyo", that is, they find the space to accommodate everything
possible in the park like Pooh, and Monsters and ..... :wink: Disney Sea still
has lots of space to expand, and the initial park feels so relaxed, and laid out awesome,
and easy to go through. And then all the original themeing - definitely adult-in-mind.)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Disney Sea, cont...

At the back of the park, we rode Indy, Raging Spirits, Jasmine's Flying Carpets (beautiful setting; way better that Disney Paris' version), Sindbad's Storybook Voyage (my all time fave IASM-like attraction). Lunch at the Pilots Grill, and then covered as much as we could, before heading back to the hotel for a break.

And of course, one more ride(s) on Journey and The Tower of Terror, before the hand-stamp and exit... :wink:
Resize of IMG_2727.JPG
On the overhead trolley, heading to Port Discovery, there's this beautiful view from it.
Resize of IMG_2717.JPG
We're in the huge entrance building queue of "Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull" attraction. It's really something to see.
Resize of IMG_0726.JPG
The themeing is amazing here. (DbM)
Resize of IMG_0729.JPG
We liked this. (DbM)
Resize of IMG_0735.JPG
After Indy, we split up for awhile. David on his own, liked taking shots of the lush landscaping in the park. (DbM)
Resize of IMG_0737.JPG
We loves our purples! (DbM)
Resize of IMG_0740.JPG
David headed into Mermaid Lagoon and took a few photos inside, "under the sea." (DbM)
Resize of IMG_0742.JPG
Resize of IMG_0747.JPG
Gift Shop!
Resize of IMG_2719.JPG
While David was doing that, I was outside strolling around, enjoy all the views of the park.
Resize of IMG_2720.JPG
Resize of IMG_2721.JPG
Mt.Prometheus. The rockwork is amazing, up close.
Resize of IMG_0750.JPG
Under this (or the gift shop) seemed to be the best place to meet back up with David.
Resize of IMG_2729.JPG
Before heading back to the hotel, I found one of the several '53's found in both parks. It's my birth year AND the year "Disneyland" (the ABC sponsored TV show) debuted, to help spread the word of Walt's "new park" opening a couple of years later. Cool!
Resize of IMG_2730.JPG
World shot, before exiting.
Resize of IMG_2732.JPG
Back at the hotel - the souvenir haul is growing, thanks to (mostly) Disney!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive